Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What's the hype with Mcintosh amps : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ?

Hello folks
    It's a matter of taste of course , but I really fancy (physically) those Mc intosh amps
    However , I don't even know how to choose one
    My system is
    Source : Lumin U1 + Melco N1A
    DAC : Chord Dave
    Pre : Belles LA01
    Power : Icon audio MB 845 mono blocks (broken these days ) , Belles SA30 (Class A)
    Speakers : audiophysics virgo 25

I am planning to either go for the Mc Intosh way (mono blocks) or GATO Audio mono amps (PWR)

Any suggestions or help to choose the Mcintosh ?
    Which model ?

Cheers

Super Moderator

Re: What's the hype with Mcintosh amps : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ?

Hi,

Hmmm, interesting question. I have to say I kind of started with McIntosh and veered away, now with my recent purchase of an MC303, I am back in a big way. I love this thing and want MORE

Your virgo 25 look like very nice speakers. They are probably not too difficult to drive so anything from the MC152 on up will be great.

Your Belles preamp should be an excellent pairing because it's a great preamp.

Basically pick how much power you need and go from there.

McIntosh is very musical, long term listening great and holds value as well or better than most gear out there. Plus, I just love the way it looks.

http://www.amp-shootout.com/2.html
    Last edited by joeinid; September 12, 2017 at 09:04 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: What's the hype with Mcintosh amps : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaheer View Post
    Hello folks
    It's a matter of taste of course , but I really fancy (physically) those Mc intosh amps
    However , I don't even know how to choose one
    My system is
    Source : Lumin U1 + Melco N1A
    DAC : Chord Dave
    Pre : Belles LA01
    Power : Icon audio MB 845 mono blocks (broken these days ) , Belles SA30 (Class A)
    Speakers : audiophysics virgo 25

I am planning to either go for the Mc Intosh way (mono blocks) or GATO Audio mono amps (PWR)

Any suggestions or help to choose the Mcintosh ?
    Which model ?

Cheers
    Zaheer - I see that we both use the same source (the Lumin U1). I have had fantastic results pairing this with Mcintosh components for both my pre-amplification and amplification. When considering Mac gear, I would say the first question to ask yourself is: do you want a tube-based system or solid state? Mcintosh does both approaches, and does each extremely well...it is truly a matter of personal preference. From there, I would go with as much power as your given budget/room size constraints will allow. I am currently using the Mcintosh C1100/D1100 pre-amp/DAC, paired with the MC2301 tube monoblocks. To my ears, the sound and performance of this combination is truly awe-inspiring. The aesthetics and build quality of Mcintosh components - for me - is just as important as the way they sound. When you couple sonic performance with good looks, high build quality, and top that off with an extensive network of dealer options/warranty support, you really can't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Audioguru1 View Post
    Zaheer - I see that we both use the same source (the Lumin U1). I have had fantastic results pairing this with Mcintosh components for both my pre-amplification and amplification. When considering Mac gear, I would say the first question to ask yourself is: do you want a tube-based system or solid state? Mcintosh does both approaches, and does each extremely well...it is truly a matter of personal preference. From there, I would go with as much power as your given budget/room size constraints will allow. I am currently using the Mcintosh C1100/D1100 pre-amp/DAC, paired with the MC2301 tube monoblocks. To my ears, the sound and performance of this combination is truly awe-inspiring. The aesthetics and build quality of Mcintosh components - for me - is just as important as the way they sound. When you couple sonic performance with good looks, high build quality, and top that off with an extensive network of dealer options/warranty support, you really can't go wrong.
    Hello Guys
    Thanks for the answers
    As stated , the question is tube or not tube
    To be honest the Icon Audio MB845 , really sound fantastic
    The quest is for upgrade and visual aesthetic pleasure with the mcintosh
    I plan to keep the Belles LA 01
    Ideally monoblock would be fantastic , but they tend to be very expensive
    Futhermore , the choice is so vast
    So I'm lost

Considering the tube ones , are they easily repaired ? Tube Rolling possible ?
    Considering the sstate : do they sound rather class A or tube like ?

Cheers

nearly bought a 2 box c500t but various people put me off , and it was so massive that i would have needed a bigger rack . take a lot to beat the belles .
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

How big is your room? What kind(s) of music do you listen to? At what levels?

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    How big is your room? What kind(s) of music do you listen to? At what levels?
    The AP Virgo is a (nominally) 4 ohm load with poor efficiency. Your 845 amp drove them?

Which output tap worked best?

Have you reached out to the speaker builder to ask this question? The designers often perform similar testing to find recommended amps.

Personally I like the way the Mac amps look. However the SS amps I've heard, the big 800 or something watt mono blocks sounded dull and lifeless to me. People tell me their tube amps like the 275? Is much better.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Super Moderator

My McIntosh amp is nothing like dull and lifeless. Yes, I believe the tube "can" be better under the right circumstances, but like everything else, careful system matching is important. I love tube preamps and solid state amps, mainly because my music is on 12-15 hours a day.

I'm loving my MC303 and don't feel I'm giving anything up.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    My McIntosh amp is nothing like dull and lifeless. Yes, I believe the tube "can" be better under the right circumstances, but like everything else, careful system matching is important. I love tube preamps and solid state amps, mainly because my music is on 12-15 hours a day.

I'm loving my MC303 and don't feel I'm giving anything up.
    A few years back when I bought my 2nd hand speakers the owner had the big SS mono blocks and I believe a top of the line ML pre amp. I was disappointed by the speakers. Just dull sounding, a but like how Ayre amps can sound.

Then I connected my 2x100W amp, (actually the manufacturer does not specify how much watts) and the speakers sounded much more alive. But it could have been the combination.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

Super Moderator

Not all amps are created equal and I am sure it's the same with McIntosh. Some are better than others.

Not all Pass Labs amps sound the same as well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Hello Guys
    Thanks for the input
    Some thoughts about my hifi journey :
    1. I bought the audiophysics for their ability for vocal , and used them with solid state (Belles MB200 monos) , fantastic ,but bass shy in my room Under the roof (5m * 6m)
    2. Then had the opportunity to buy a sentimental object (Icom MB845) .. great great lift in the sound
    3. The MB 845 got broken , and I am currently using the Virgos with Belles SA30 (class A) .. good sound , and radically changed when I installed the GAIA3 feet Under the speakers

As such , I'm waiting for the MB845 to be repaired , but just pondering about mcintosh (looks of course)
    The manufacturer of Audiophysics has no recommendation , but in forums , loads of people tend to associate them with tube amps or class A

So , in the perspective of Mcintosh , I don't know which type to go for : tube or transistor
    Regarding the sound , I guess that I should get a dealer to lend me one , but in my area no one sells that ..
    That's why I need your views , and help
    Cheers

Super Moderator

How much power do you need/want?

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaheer View Post
    So , in the perspective of Mcintosh , I don't know which type to go for : tube or transistor
    Regarding the sound , I guess that I should get a dealer to lend me one , but in my area no one sells that ..
    That's why I need your views , and help
    Cheers
    If this is temporary, keep in mind stronger resale value on MacIntosh tube gear.

I would suggest seeking out a loaner or buying a dedicated amp to run the woofers.

I too, am a convert to Triodes and few amplifiers can emulate their best qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by anji12305 View Post
    If this is temporary, keep in mind stronger resale value on MacIntosh tube gear.

I would suggest seeking out a loaner or buying a dedicated amp to run the woofers.

I too, am a convert to Triodes and few amplifiers can emulate their best qualities.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    How much power do you need/want?
    Hello
    Ideally , the audiophysics are 4 ohm speakers
    I guess that 200 w should be enough
    Cheers

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What's the hype with Mcintosh amps  : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ?