What's the hype with Mcintosh amps : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the hype with Mcintosh amps : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ?

Not all amps are created equal and I am sure it's the same with McIntosh. Some are better than others.

Not all Pass Labs amps sound the same as well.
    Joe

JOB 250 Monoblocks, Job INTegrated, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Lumin U1. PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II, McIntosh MC303, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the hype with Mcintosh amps : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ?

Hello Guys
    Thanks for the input
    Some thoughts about my hifi journey :
    1. I bought the audiophysics for their ability for vocal , and used them with solid state (Belles MB200 monos) , fantastic ,but bass shy in my room Under the roof (5m * 6m)
    2. Then had the opportunity to buy a sentimental object (Icom MB845) .. great great lift in the sound
    3. The MB 845 got broken , and I am currently using the Virgos with Belles SA30 (class A) .. good sound , and radically changed when I installed the GAIA3 feet Under the speakers

As such , I'm waiting for the MB845 to be repaired , but just pondering about mcintosh (looks of course)
    The manufacturer of Audiophysics has no recommendation , but in forums , loads of people tend to associate them with tube amps or class A

So , in the perspective of Mcintosh , I don't know which type to go for : tube or transistor
    Regarding the sound , I guess that I should get a dealer to lend me one , but in my area no one sells that ..
    That's why I need your views , and help
    Cheers

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

How much power do you need/want?
    Joe

JOB 250 Monoblocks, Job INTegrated, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Lumin U1. PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II, McIntosh MC303, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zaheer View Post
    So , in the perspective of Mcintosh , I don't know which type to go for : tube or transistor
    Regarding the sound , I guess that I should get a dealer to lend me one , but in my area no one sells that ..
    That's why I need your views , and help
    Cheers
    If this is temporary, keep in mind stronger resale value on MacIntosh tube gear.

I would suggest seeking out a loaner or buying a dedicated amp to run the woofers.

I too, am a convert to Triodes and few amplifiers can emulate their best qualities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anji12305 View Post
    If this is temporary, keep in mind stronger resale value on MacIntosh tube gear.

I would suggest seeking out a loaner or buying a dedicated amp to run the woofers.

I too, am a convert to Triodes and few amplifiers can emulate their best qualities.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    How much power do you need/want?
    Hello
    Ideally , the audiophysics are 4 ohm speakers
    I guess that 200 w should be enough
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2