What's the hype with Mcintosh amps : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ? - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the hype with Mcintosh amps : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ?

Not all amps are created equal and I am sure it's the same with McIntosh. Some are better than others.

Not all Pass Labs amps sound the same as well.
    Joe

McIntosh MC1.25KW monos, McIntosh MCLK12, McIntosh MC303, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the hype with Mcintosh amps : how to choose ? and which ones are well rated ?

Hello Guys
    Thanks for the input
    Some thoughts about my hifi journey :
    1. I bought the audiophysics for their ability for vocal , and used them with solid state (Belles MB200 monos) , fantastic ,but bass shy in my room Under the roof (5m * 6m)
    2. Then had the opportunity to buy a sentimental object (Icom MB845) .. great great lift in the sound
    3. The MB 845 got broken , and I am currently using the Virgos with Belles SA30 (class A) .. good sound , and radically changed when I installed the GAIA3 feet Under the speakers

As such , I'm waiting for the MB845 to be repaired , but just pondering about mcintosh (looks of course)
    The manufacturer of Audiophysics has no recommendation , but in forums , loads of people tend to associate them with tube amps or class A

So , in the perspective of Mcintosh , I don't know which type to go for : tube or transistor
    Regarding the sound , I guess that I should get a dealer to lend me one , but in my area no one sells that ..
    That's why I need your views , and help
    Cheers

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

How much power do you need/want?
    Joe

McIntosh MC1.25KW monos, McIntosh MCLK12, McIntosh MC303, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zaheer View Post
    So , in the perspective of Mcintosh , I don't know which type to go for : tube or transistor
    Regarding the sound , I guess that I should get a dealer to lend me one , but in my area no one sells that ..
    That's why I need your views , and help
    Cheers
    If this is temporary, keep in mind stronger resale value on MacIntosh tube gear.

I would suggest seeking out a loaner or buying a dedicated amp to run the woofers.

I too, am a convert to Triodes and few amplifiers can emulate their best qualities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anji12305 View Post
    If this is temporary, keep in mind stronger resale value on MacIntosh tube gear.

I would suggest seeking out a loaner or buying a dedicated amp to run the woofers.

I too, am a convert to Triodes and few amplifiers can emulate their best qualities.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    How much power do you need/want?
    Hello
    Ideally , the audiophysics are 4 ohm speakers
    I guess that 200 w should be enough
    Cheers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2