Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: New here

New here

Hi everyone,

I've been into audio since the mid 70's when I got my first real part time job. A few years back I had assembled my "forever" system (I know, nothing except my marriage is forever) but hurricane Irene took care of that. I had almost 4 feet of water in my basement and even though my insurance company paid for replacement of everything I couldn't bring myself to rebuild my audio setup.

I stuck a toe in the water this spring purchasing a Belles Aria integrated and a Blue Sound Vault for my summer home. I have a pair of ProAc Tablette Anniversary mini monitors for indoors and a pair of B&W AM-1's for outside. I found myself so engrossed in the music all summer long that I began assembling a new system for my home.

So far here's where I stand. I am having Don Sachs build me an SP14 pre amp. That should be done sometime at the end of next month or the beginning of November. I also purchased a KT88 driven amp from him that he took in from a customer who had fallen ill. He re tubed it and upgraded the caps to a version he likes. That's in the mail and will be arriving on Thursday.

I'm very seriously considering a pair of speakers using Super Alnico 15" drivers from Common Sense Audio. There's a cabinet maker in Tennessee I was introduced to who has an engineering degree who works with Common Sense. We've spoken and I'm very impressed with him.

I'm using an Oppo digital source I had in the house but I realize it may be best utilized as a spinner. I'm just starting to research DACs.

Long and boring I know. I'm here to learn and meet some folks with similar interests. I am a fairly competent cook and have some level of expertise when it comes to wine.

Jeff

Super Moderator

Re: New here

Welcome to the forum Jeff, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Welcome to AS Jeff!

Audio is like Hotel California ... check out anytime you like but you can never leave.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Welcome!
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Audioshark

Hi Jeff, welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Welcome Jeff.
    Well said Nikhil.
    I still have a Tubes4hifi modded ST70(although it just sits on the shelf). Great improvement over a stock ST70.
    I have had a Commonsenseaudio 8" Alnico pair of speakers. So I can somewhat relate to your taste in audio gear.
    That said, might I suggest that you look into a Lampizator DAC. Very smooth and organic with a deep wide soundstage. For new, the Amber model is reasonably priced and is a true "Audio Value". It is tube and you can change the flavor by tube rolling.
    Schitt is another brand of DAC worth looking into.
    Good luck and welcome back. Hope you enjoy the journey.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

Welcome aboard!
    Amp/PreAmp/Phono: Manley Labs Snapper, Jumbo Shrimp, Chinook Speakers: Joseph Audio RM25XL Analog: Rega P5, TTPSU, Tungsten CW, GT Ref Sub-Platter/Delrin Platter, DV Karat 17D3 Digital: Rega Saturn Cables/PC: Synergistic Research, Running Springs Audio Rack: Quadraspire Q4EVO, Mapleshade Platforms/Isoblocks Tubes: Winged C SED EL34, Mullard 12AX7/12AT7, Amperex 7308 LPs: 198 CDs: 247

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I've just started to poke around and it seems this site has a depth that I haven't found elsewhere.

Hi Jeff , and welcome here.

Welcome to AS!
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Hello, Jeff.

Your amp and preamp sounded mighty familiar to me. Nice choice in gear!

welcome to AS.

Michael

Michael,

You a disciple of Don's as well? Amazing guy, I was convinced I did the right thing 10 minutes into the conversation. He suggested looking at the single driver speakers as well. He's also a former Deadhead a subject near and dear to my heart.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jeff

Welcome to the forum! I have heard the Belles Aria briefly, and it's a great piece. Of course there is always an upward path in this hobby. Enjoy!
    Main system: PS Audio P5, CAPS server w/HDPlex power supply, Hegel H160, AQ Colorado and Rocket 44, Vandersteen Treos, PS Audio DS DAC. NAD M4 tuner, Mcintosh MR74. Analog: Bryston BLP1, Ortofon Quintet Black, customized Tavish Adagio phono pre. AudioSensibility Statement interconnects. Rythmik Audio 15-inch sub. Other stuff: Sequerra Met 7's (original) Met 7 MK. II, REL Q108, Berning ea-230's, Micro Seiki BL51 with Grace and Rega arms. Too much else to list, I am gonna leave a heck of a pile of stuff when I die.

Quote Originally Posted by jethropugh View Post
    Michael,

You a disciple of Don's as well? Amazing guy, I was convinced I did the right thing 10 minutes into the conversation. He suggested looking at the single driver speakers as well. He's also a former Deadhead a subject near and dear to my heart.

Thanks for the kind words.

Jeff
    Indeed, I am. I bought my D Sachs pre one year ago and took it to Taiwan last Fall. My Kootenay120 will be ready in a week or two. I'll take it to Taiwan in November. I'll be the only person in Taiwan with D Sachs gear. I'm already warming up for my bragging rights.

Michael
    Amp: D Sachs KT88 Kootenay120, Nuprime Evolution STA
    Preamp: D Sachs Model 2
    DAC: SW1X DAC III BAL/SPL, Holo Spring 3 KTE w/volume control
    Speakers: Daedalus Apollos, Fritz LS/5-R
    Connectors/speaker cables/PCs: Triode Wire Labs Hapa Audio QS/QC
    Power Conditioner: PI Audio UberBUSS, MiniBUSS, DigiBUSS
    Mac Mini

Always looking for better gear!

My power amp arrived yesterday. Can't wait to fire it up and begin listening.

Behavior Moderator (be nice police!)

Welcome Jeff!
    Mark

Kharma DB9 Signature
    Pass Labs XP32......incoming
    Pass Labs X350.8
    Esoteric N-05XD
    VPI Avenger with Magnetic Drive
    Manley Chinook Phono Pre
    Ortofon Cadenza Black cartridge
    Kharma Elegance speaker cables
    Kharma Elegance interconnects
    REL Subs

Hello and welcome Jeff
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Welcome Jeff!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Guys,

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Still looking at speakers and DAC's. The market has shifted and to be honest I'm spending more time reading than listening. A local installer friend dropped off a demo pair of KEF LS50s. I can see what all the hubbub is about. They're very very good for a small monitor and make way more music than I expected. He's a smart guy my friend. I'm going to put the hours on them and break them in for him.

I just took delivery of my Don Sachs KT88 based power amp. I'm without a pre at the moment, he's building me one so I wait. In the meantime I've made some DIY IC's from Duelund 20ga tinned copper and some reasonable RCA's. They're outstanding considering they cost me 40 bucks to make. Very detailed and musical.

I'm at square one with a source. I have too many CD's to let the collection go and I'm assuming DAC technology changes faster than I can keep up with. I guess I need to learn more about computer based setups.

Please feel free to chime in. One word of caution. I am way past all the BS that comes with this hobby. More money doesn't necessarily mean I'll like it more. I equate it to wine (which I do know something about), any idiot can buy a $500 dollar bottle but the skill is in finding one for $100 that's just as good.

Jeff

Jeff

A safe yet reasonably priced choice to pick up a quality DAC and streamer in one piece is the OPPO Sonica at $800. Added benefit is that if you buy direct from OPPO you have 30 days to try it out. As a DAC it is worth the price alone with the streamer being a bonus. Sure there are better but for a lot more other than the Musical Paradise MP-D2 if you want a tube DAC.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Jeff - look at esoteric’s “k” line. It’s a spinner and DAC. There are 4 models depending on your price point with the Grandioso K1 at the top end selling for 28,000. Not sure the price of the lowest end one. Mike is a dealer. I’m sure he can jump in and tell you

Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Audioshark

Thanks Phishphan. The Esoteric K-07x is $6000 MSRP and they go up from there.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Another option just reviewed by Srajen.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/denafrips/3.html
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New here