Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Lumin U1 and MQA

Greetings All,

I have recently purchased a Lumin U1 audiophile streamer. I am pairing it with a Mcintosh D1100 DAC. I must say that I am pleasantly surprised and even shocked by the high degree of performance and musicality of this combination. I am streaming Tidal Hifi through the U1. Does anyone know when MQA decoding will be available on the U1?

Thanks,

Andrew

Super Moderator

Re: Lumin U1 and MQA

Welcome to the forum Andrew! Thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Lumin U1 is undergoing MQA certification. It'll take some time before it can be officially released.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Thanks very much for the information Peter

Welcome!
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Since the Lumin U1 is a pure streamer without a built in DAC, I understand that its support of MQA will be limited to MQA Core decoding. When connected to a DAC which can act as an MQA Renderer the resulting output will be fully decoded MQA, or if connected to a non-MQA DAC (like your McIntosh) you would still benefit from MQA Core's first unfolding.

audio.bill - thanks for your feedback. I think my Mac D1100 DAC should be able to get up to the maximum 98Khz sampling rate of the MQA first unfolding available through the Lumin software decoding.

Audioshark

Hi Andrew - welcome to the forum. I'm sure that's a great combination. Congrats.

Mike
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike - thank you. I truly can't believe my ears in just how good the Lumin U1/D1100 combination sounds. I don't have much use for my redbook CD (or SACD!) collection anymore...

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Audioguru1 View Post
    Mike - thank you. I truly can't believe my ears in just how good the Lumin U1/D1100 combination sounds. I don't have much use for my redbook CD (or SACD!) collection anymore...
    That's great! What input are you using?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Andrew..welcome..
    Listening Room: 25' L x 18' W x 23' H..system on the long wall
    Speakers: Tidal 'Contriva Diacera-SE
    Amps: Chalice Audio 'Grail' SET mono blocks with Psvane WE 845 / 300b tubes
    Source: Lumin X-1 Network Music Player
    HighFidelity MC-1 Pro Helix conditioner
    Cables:
    Audience-Studio One RCA interconnect
    SilverSmith 'Fidelium' speaker cables
    Silent Source 'Music Reference' Power Cords x 3
    Innuos 'PhoenixNet' Switch
    CAD-CG-1

Audioquest 'fog lifters' under the Fidelium cables
    Arya Audio-RevOpods under my Tidal Speakers
    REL 212 SE Subwoofer x 2
    Nordost V2 ethernet cable

EVP Isolation footers- subs-speakers- Lumin

Tweaks:
    Stillpoints Ultra SS under amps
    EVP HDR isolators 2" x 8...under my Lumin A1 and PSU
    EVP HDR isolators 4" x 16..under my Tidal speakers and my REL 212 SE subs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    That's great! What input are you using?
    I'm using the AES/EBU input.

Congratulations. You've put together a wonderful combo there between the Lumin streamer and that remarkable McIntosh DAC.

Here are is a link to part one, and part two the recent Computer Audiophile review of your new DAC. It's very enlightening, and Chris loved it!

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...part-one-r664/

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...C2%A0two-r667/

JC

So I now have the beta version of the MQA Lumin U1 firmware upgrade. All I can say is "WOW". When I stream an MQA masters album from Tidal HiFi, this has sonically taken my system to a new higher level of musicality, dynamic breath, and transparency. The sound I'm hearing reminds me a lot of how my "old" collection of DVD-Audio discs sounded back in the day. From a sonic perspective I loved that format and it's amazing that I can now get that same quality or better streamed! It's also super nice and to see my Mac D1100 Dac displaying the best possible 96khz sampling rate for the first MQA unfold done by the Lumin software. Congratulations to Lumin on the excellent work so far!IMG_20170908_221845.jpg

Hello Folks
    I have updated the Lumin U1 for mqa support
    Some things to share :
    My system for listening the mqa via tidal is as follows :
    Lumin U1 is connected to Chord Dave via AES EBU . The U1 is connected to my internet box via RJ45 + network filter . The U1 is also connected to Melco N1A via Ethernet RJ45 + filter . The melco stores my music
    The Lumin + Melco +DAVE are filtered via the excellent PLIXIR BAC (conditionner)
    Listening is done via Focal Elear earphone via DAVE
    Album tested is Marvin Gaye " What's going on "
    44.1 flac, and 196 flac are stored on the Melco
    Tidal streams 44.1 , and the 196 versions
    Conclusions (FOR ME)
    1. The flac in the Melco and the one from Tidal MQA , sounds the same (both 44.1 and 196)
    2. The HD version sounds better to my ears than the CD version
    I have been a MQA septic , because I like to buy my music
    However , it's more practical to have Tidal (albeit being dependant on internet)
    Lastly , I should state that LUMIN has been of tremendous support , and the Lumin app on IOS works really good
    When I see the difficulty of having DSD files , and the easiness to have MQA high res files , I guess that mqa will be a good streaming format (even if there are loads of septics like me)
    EXCELLENT support from wklie and Lumin
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Zaheer View Post
    Hello Folks
    I have updated the Lumin U1 for mqa support
    Some things to share :
    My system for listening the mqa via tidal is as follows :
    Lumin U1 is connected to Chord Dave via AES EBU . The U1 is connected to my internet box via RJ45 + network filter . The U1 is also connected to Melco N1A via Ethernet RJ45 + filter . The melco stores my music
    The Lumin + Melco +DAVE are filtered via the excellent PLIXIR BAC (conditionner)
    Listening is done via Focal Elear earphone via DAVE
    Album tested is Marvin Gaye " What's going on "
    44.1 flac, and 196 flac are stored on the Melco
    Tidal streams 44.1 , and the 196 versions
    Conclusions (FOR ME)
    1. The flac in the Melco and the one from Tidal MQA , sounds the same (both 44.1 and 196)
    2. The HD version sounds better to my ears than the CD version
    I have been a MQA septic , because I like to buy my music
    However , it's more practical to have Tidal (albeit being dependant on internet)
    Lastly , I should state that LUMIN has been of tremendous support , and the Lumin app on IOS works really good
    When I see the difficulty of having DSD files , and the easiness to have MQA high res files , I guess that mqa will be a good streaming format (even if there are loads of septics like me)
    EXCELLENT support from wklie and Lumin
    Cheers
    Hey Zaheer - Great setup and glad to hear you are enjoying the sound quality of the U1 with MQA files. Question: What is the purpose of the network filter that you mention? Does the filter provide an audible improvement to the sound quality? Can you please elaborate more. Thanks.

Hello
    Here is the link
    https://www.reichelt.de/Network-Accesso ... ANGUAGE=EN
    Seems to take out noise
    Cheers
    (will post soon with pictures)

Hello
    Has anyone tested the new firmware for U1 ?
    Cheers

The new public U1 firmware does not include MQA support. It fixes an occasional delay issue with playback of music from fidata Twonky server. U1 is still undergoing MQA certification.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin U1 and MQA