Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Hurricane Irma - uh oh

Quote Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
    Amazing that the eye of the hurricane went over our house and our screen enclosure and screen are unharmed. When we did the pool project earier in the year we used the only company in the area that pours concrete in the vertical aluminum columns and only uses the strongest screen material.
    Looks like the decision paid off as most other pool enclosures in the neighborhood did not fare as well.
    Buddy.......That is great news. Screened enclosures are usually the first things to be destroyed by high winds. Considering the destructive force of Irma, any good news is a welcomed relief.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Buddy.......That is great news. Screened enclosures are usually the first things to be destroyed by high winds. Considering the destructive force of Irma, any good news is a welcomed relief.
    For sure Dan! Any good news is most welcome.
    We should be back home on Saturday and I will be able to check it out first hand.
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

We survived Irma also in St Petersburg. 6 screen panels gone from the Pool cage which cost a grand total of $200 to replace so I'm quite grateful. I was envisioning my Magico speaker money disapear like mágico! Mike will be grateful for this too! Lol
    Larry
    Larry

Lumin U1
    Chord Dave Dac
    Vac Master Preamp
    Vac 200IQ Amp
    Magico S3 Mk2 in Mcast Pewter
    Denali 6000S
    Ansuz and MIT cabling
    Timbernation walnut racks

Glad everyone is OK.
    Living room:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC601 mono blocks
    - Focal Sopra 2
    - McIntosh MCT450
    - Aurender N10

Office:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC452
    - Focal Sopra 1 + Focal Utopia headphones
    - REL T9i subwoofer
    - Aurender N100C

Quote Originally Posted by watts View Post
    I don't want to get political here but I am thinking someone else would have been a little more responsive...

Let me guess , Jesus ... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    It was a wake up call for me. I will definitely get a whole home natural gas generator like this one:

http://www.kohlergenerators.com/home...oducts/20RESCL

And proper hurricane shutters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good move ,

Can't Imagine that trip in your F150 , thought about it myself but once i saw the eye shift westward decided to stick it out instead of getting stuck on the road. Pilot friends who were running in supplies and doing evacuations had mentioned how weird the hurricane was, powerful near the eye , but barely belting out 70-80 mph 20 miles plus off the eye.

Regards

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Let me guess , Jesus ... ?
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Wow what a horrid 7 days. All safe and sound, no damage. Just got power on, and cable at the same time. Been busy with a chain saw and two Honda 3000 generators helping neighbors. So much flooding from the intracoastal its just unreal.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

It was about this time last Sunday night when the power went out and the wind began to pick up intensity here. I am sure happy I am not facing it again tonight. I am still settling down emotionally from the experience and the aftermath. You don't realize how wound up and stressed you are until you finally unwind. Phew! I truly feel for the people who have yet to recover.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I spent dragging limbs to the debris pile, picking up branches, raking leaves and small branches into piles, then picking up those heaps and wheelbarrowing them to the debris pile. By Wednesday afternoon my right foot began aching in the tendons on the top of my foot behind my big toe from all the bending and stooping. Thursday morning I knew my right foot was not up to another day of abuse, stooping over several hundred more times, but like the stubborn person I can be I put on my work boots and got to it. By the end of about eight hours I was finally pleased with the acre and a half of lawn around my home and called it quits. The other 16 acres will just have to wait. My right foot was now swollen and throbing, the tendons were inflamed to the point I could barely put any weight on that right foot. I stayed inside all day Friday with my foot elevated and alternated an ice pack on and off of the foot. Saturday saw some improvement but still too painful to walk so I stayed inside all day. Sunday I was limping around but still remained indoors. This morning my foot was no longer as swollen but still tender. I have been able to put weight on the foot today but only gingerly. I should be able to walk relatively normal tomorrow, but I have put any additional cleanup on a much less aggressive schedule. I pushed myself too hard for four days trying to get the area around the house back to normal. Twenty years ago the pace would not have been so grueling on me but with seven decades under my belt I am no longer the spring chicken I want to think I am. I still think of myself as 39 but my body speaks the truth every morning. I am happy to be regaining the use of my right foot. I knew I was pushing it last Thursday morning. By Thursday evening I knew I had screwed up. Hind sight is always 20/20.

I hope others impacted by Irma are making progress back to some semblance of normality. Things get torn up so quickly. Recovery takes a lot more time. God speed to everyone impacted by Harvey and Irma.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Dan,

I hope your foot feels better soon.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

It was about this time last Sunday night when the power went out and the wind began to pick up intensity here. I am sure happy I am not facing it again tonight. I am still settling down emotionally from the experience and the aftermath. You don't realize how wound up and stressed you are until you finally unwind. Phew! I truly feel for the people who have yet to recover.

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I spent dragging limbs to the debris pile, picking up branches, raking leaves and small branches into piles, then picking up those heaps and wheelbarrowing them to the debris pile. By Wednesday afternoon my right foot began aching in the tendons on the top of my foot behind my big toe from all the bending and stooping. Thursday morning I knew my right foot was not up to another day of abuse, stooping over several hundred more times, but like the stubborn person I can be I put on my work boots and got to it. By the end of about eight hours I was finally pleased with the acre and a half of lawn around my home and called it quits. The other 16 acres will just have to wait. My right foot was now swollen and throbing, the tendons were inflamed to the point I could barely put any weight on that right foot. I stayed inside all day Friday with my foot elevated and alternated an ice pack on and off of the foot. Saturday saw some improvement but still too painful to walk so I stayed inside all day. Sunday I was limping around but still remained indoors. This morning my foot was no longer as swollen but still tender. I have been able to put weight on the foot today but only gingerly. I should be able to walk relatively normal tomorrow, but I have put any additional cleanup on a much less aggressive schedule. I pushed myself too hard for four days trying to get the area around the house back to normal. Twenty years ago the pace would not have been so grueling on me but with seven decades under my belt I am no longer the spring chicken I want to think I am. I still think of myself as 39 but my body speaks the truth every morning. I am happy to be regaining the use of my right foot. I knew I was pushing it last Thursday morning. By Thursday evening I knew I had screwed up. Hind sight is always 20/20.

I hope others impacted by Irma are making progress back to some semblance of normality. Things get torn up so quickly. Recovery takes a lot more time. God speed to everyone impacted by Harvey and Irma.
    Hang in there Dan, the seasons not over yet and then we have next year, and the year after. WE are getting too old for this crap. Prepping a house, come home trim trees, rake yard, take prep work down, bummer total bummer. And the wife and I got some crud from the people we stayed with in Ocala. Starts as a tickle in your throat then its full blown, sore throat, major congestion just wonderful stuff. Hope the foot gets some rest.

oh PS behind the house on a connecting road.

2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Chris.......I hear you. I know I am getting too old for this crap. Nothing about these types of events and the aftermath are amusing. It is a royal pain in the ass for everyone affected, some much more than others. It makes you question where you want to continue to live. The coastline of Florida is beautiful when the weather is cooperative. It is ugly, dangerous, and can be deadly when Mother Nature's wrath rolls in. Five or six acres up in the Blue Ridge mountains outside of Ashville, North Carolina is starting to look mighty appealing.

I am walking much better today. Don't plan to do any cleanup today but I am walking again, albeit slowly and with extra care.
    Dan

Cheer up Dan.

"And even then an early visitor declared that if he owned Miami and hell, he would rent out Miami and live in hell."

Florida comes from a rough past.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...florida-215586
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    Hang in there Dan, the seasons not over yet and then we have next year, and the year after. WE are getting too old for this crap. Prepping a house, come home trim trees, rake yard, take prep work down, bummer total bummer. And the wife and I got some crud from the people we stayed with in Ocala. Starts as a tickle in your throat then its full blown, sore throat, major congestion just wonderful stuff. Hope the foot gets some rest.

oh PS behind the house on a connecting road.

Take a swig of overproof rum , one shot at nights, knock that crud right out , well, if you survive ..

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Cheer up Dan.

"And even then an early visitor declared that if he owned Miami and hell, he would rent out Miami and live in hell."

Depends on where your friends live ...if hell , rent out Miami ..

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Cheer up Dan.

Norman.......That was a fun read. I have seen snippets of that information in many other articles and books over the years. Being a Florida native I have watched this state go through many changes in my life. Having survived hurricanes in Miami, West Palm Beach, and Orlando in my youth, it wasn't difficult to make the decision to live in north central Florida rather than south or along the coast somewhere. Although still vulnerable to hurricane force winds here, the percentage of devastating destruction is considerably lower in this location just south of Live Oak. My elevation is 101 feet above sea level, a Florida mountain compared to the southern and coastal parts of the state. It is 50 miles to the Gulf of Mexico and 90 miles to the Atlantic. That much land mass between me and warm open waters serves to reduce hurricane force winds and collapse eye walls. That was part of my thinking when I chose this area for my home. Having said all that, I am still growing weary of cleaning up after these storms blow through.
    Dan

Norman.......That was a fun read. I have seen snippets of that information in many other articles and books over the years. Being a Florida native I have watched this state go through many changes in my life. Having survived hurricanes in Miami, West Palm Beach, and Orlando in my youth, it wasn't difficult to make the decision to live in north central Florida rather than south or along the coast somewhere. Although still vulnerable to hurricane force winds here, the percentage of devastating destruction is considerably lower in this location just south of Live Oak. My elevation is 101 feet above sea level, a Florida mountain compared to the southern and coastal parts of the state. It is 50 miles to the Gulf of Mexico and 90 miles to the Atlantic. That much land mass between me and warm open waters serves to reduce hurricane force winds and collapse eye walls. That was part of my thinking when I chose this area for my home. Having said all that, I am still growing weary of cleaning up after these storms blow through.
    growing weary, is an understatement. The wife said, thats 2 times in two years, one more and we are selling and moving back to the Lake Murry In SC.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Hurricane Irma - uh oh