Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

Aurender A10 Review

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/...server-review/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Aurender A10 Review

Mike.......I am surprised that no one has commented on the new Aurender A10 music server/DAC/digital preamp. The A10 is quite the digital package with its 4TB of internal hard drive storage and 120GB of solid state caching playback. The A10 features dual mono 768KHz/32Bit AK4490 Asahi Kasei Microsystems DACs, Tidal integration, full MQA decoding, an optical digital input to the dual DACs, plus volume adjustment of the analog outputs from the Conductor App, IR remote, or front panel rotary control. In classic Aurender engineering fashion the A10 employs full linear power supplies for its various digital and analog sections, meticulous isolation between the digital stages, analog stages, and power supplies, plus delivers a world class jitter-reducting precision clock generation system. All of this technology is packaged in a premium close tolerance aluminum enclosure with front panel controls, an AMOLED display, plus unbalanced and balanced analog outputs. Retail pricing is $5500.00 in Silver or Black.

The Aurender A10 really does deliver a feature packed music server/DAC/preamp, plus full MQA decoding at an attractive price point. It is simplicity at its finest when it comes to digital audio playback, a one box home run that takes the complex and makes it easy. That's why I am so surprised there has been no reaction to your thread here for nearly two months. Does anyone here own the Aurender A10? Comments would be appreciated, especially since this unique Aurender music server has managed to piqued my interest.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

ComputerAudiophile review of Aurender A10.

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/c...er-a10-review/
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I have had mine for almost a year. Great piece. Andrew Quint is doing his review at The Absolute Sound. Probably a little more interest when it comes out. Aurender hurt themselves by marketing as an "N100 with a built in Dac". I had a N100S (solid state drive) with an full blown Oppo Modwright tube dac with all w4s add on's and Curious Cabling The A10 absolutely kills the combo. Not even close. The dac in the A10 is outstanding as I use it also for my Home Theater needs. I think the integrated design in this instance works better than an 2 box design.
    Power cords make a huge diff with this unit. Synergistic Black sounds very nice. Tried a Cardas Clear M and it sucked the life away. I also have Stillpoints Ultra minis and that also improved SQ.
    Just upgraded to Audience Au24SX interconnects and you can realize how good this piece is.
    Aurender A10 (SR Black fuses installed)>MicroZotl2.0S W/remote( SR Black )> Odyssey Kismets> Persona 5f's . Cerious Technologies Matrix IC's and Speaker cabling. Audience ArP2 TOSOX conditioner . Power chords include Audience Au24 Se, SR ,Shunyata,Triode Wire World. Stillpoints Ultra Minis.

russellbobby.......I am happy to see the comments on your Aurender A10, particularly the DAC performance. I have been considering a N100H for my living room system but that would require me removing the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 from my headphone rig in the office. The A10 in black is beginning to look like a more logical choice for me. I would not use the volume control feature, but as a music server/DAC combination I find the Aurender A10 quite attractive.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Mike,

Thanks for posting the link to this review. I have to say that you were all over the outstanding sound quality and functionality of the A10 ever since it first came out. It must be nice to see this affirmation of your assessment by the reviewers.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    russellbobby.......I am happy to see the comments on your Aurender A10, particularly the DAC performance. I have been considering a N100H for my living room system but that would require me removing the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 from my headphone rig in the office. The A10 in black is beginning to look like a more logical choice for me. I would not use the volume control feature, but as a music server/DAC combination I find the Aurender A10 quite attractive.
    Actually as a standalone it sounds really good. Mate it with a really solid pre-amp and it goes to really,really good. I took a leap of faith when I bought it but sure glad I did. I think with the speed digital is changing a folks may get nervous about the built in DAC. I just had a group over this weekend with dacs from: APL, Krell, Yggydrasil, Resolution Cantata, they all loved the A10. Full MQA is a bonus!!
    Aurender A10 (SR Black fuses installed)>MicroZotl2.0S W/remote( SR Black )> Odyssey Kismets> Persona 5f's . Cerious Technologies Matrix IC's and Speaker cabling. Audience ArP2 TOSOX conditioner . Power chords include Audience Au24 Se, SR ,Shunyata,Triode Wire World. Stillpoints Ultra Minis.

I took a ride up to Palm Coast, FL last Friday to hear a guys' system that included an A10 (Wilson Sasha Speakers, Audio Research Integrated Amp/DAC) and the system sounded really nice.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

I live near Lake Tahoe where the scenery is beautiful but there are drawbacks...like no internet. Does the A10 require Internet to operate? How does the iPad app sync up? With Bluetooth or through a required router connection? Other considerations?

Thanks!
    Brent

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman71 View Post
    I live near Lake Tahoe where the scenery is beautiful but there are drawbacks...like no internet. Does the A10 require Internet to operate? How does the iPad app sync up? With Bluetooth or through a required router connection? Other considerations?

Thanks!
    Brent
    These type of things with no display require that the player and the tablet be connected to the same home network so that the tablet can be used to select the music files. So if the player and the tablet are on a home network then one can use them together. There is a diagram of a typical system configuration at their website - http://www.aurender.com/page/a10
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

As I see it, you can have the system connected to the same home network even if you don’t have internet connection. So you can have your music stored in the Aurender and use the Conductor app to play it. However, since you do not have internet connection that means that you cannot stream music from music services such as Tidal.
    In other words, you can play your own music even if no internet is available.

Here's another take on the Aurender A10 from TAS.

Audioshark

Did anyone read the Stereophile review? Ugh.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Aurender A10 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Did anyone read the Stereophile review? Ugh.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...c-playerserver

Sounds like the grumblings of an old man.

On a side note, these reviewers always listen to some obscure track no one else in history owns. I want the reviewer who throws on Green Day’s Dookie, and rocks out for a half hour.
    Preamp/Digital: Meitner MA3
    HT Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 14b3, Bryston 4b3
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c
    Sub: REL Carbon Special
    Power: Shunyata Denali, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC, Ethernet - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS, ISO-Acoustics ISO Pucks

-Kyle

Audioshark

Aurender A10 Review

JVS has had some hilarious reports:

This one:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...es-axponas-end

And this one:

(Note the MBL room, the guy yelling “that’s not music!!”, is a well respected Doctor client of mine who is not shy.)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...step-closer-oz

Quote Originally Posted by Phishphan View Post
    https://www.stereophile.com/content/...c-playerserver

Sounds like the grumblings of an old man.

On a side note, these reviewers always listen to some obscure track no one else in history owns. I want the reviewer who throws on Green Day’s Dookie, and rocks out for a half hour.
    Phishphan.......I agree with your view of the Aurender A10 review in Stereophile by Jason Serinus. First, I don't particularly care for his writing style or his selection of music for this review. Right from the beginning of the A10 review he made disparaging comments that seemed to belittle the A10 streamer/DAC in a back handed manner, making fun of Aurender's claim the A10 is a high-performance component. He continued by stating the 4TB hard drive was limited storage. A 4TB hard drive stores an enormous number of FLAC encoded music files. He makes the statement that during the time the hard drive is caching files to the solid state drive for playback ultimate sound quality is sacrificed. He must have bat ears because that has not been my experience at all with either my Aurender N10 or N100H music servers, and I highly doubt it is with the A10. Jason spoke less than flatteringly about the sound of the A10's DAC. Again, I suspect he might have wanted the A10 to sound like the dCS Scarlatti he kept mentioning, a DAC system that comes in at five times the price of the Aurender A10. The A10's AKM 4490 DACs are not slouches. In addition, Jason wasn't sharp enough not to place the A10 directly on the dCS components which negatively impacted the sound of the A10 until he wised up and relocated the A10 to it's own shelf. At the same time he admitted to breaking in new cables. Hmm! More with the negative tone, he referred to the Aurender A10 online manual as far too slim. I don't know about other Aurender owners, but I have had no issues finding operating and technical information for my Aurender components and the Conductor App online, not to mention nearly immediate email response from Aurender Tech support when needed. He goes on to complain that when he selects a title of music to play, then taps Play Now in the Conductor App the music starts immediately. What the heck does he think "Play Now" means. None of this strikes me as someone who was committed in a positive way to the A10 review.

Despite the MQA filter issue discovered by John Atkinson while bench testing the A10, which if not already resolved will certainly be so in short order, Jason Victor Serinus as he seems to like to be addressed, seems to take himself more seriously than he takes his job as a reviewer in my opinion. His effort at reviewing the Aurender A10 was a lackluster, uninspired read. Jason kept referring to the A10's apparent lack of color saturation. What the heck is that supposed to mean? Perhaps chartreuse was overshadowing magenta, while a light mauve seemed pale compared to the hot pink.

Jason just couldn't resist himself. His uninspired Aurender A10 review was wrapped up with a final dig, "Those who tend to listen to music while multitasking (read: not paying attention to the music) or who don't spend hours on end sitting undisturbed in the sweet spot (read: not interested in fully enjoying music) need not hesitate."

Note: The comments in parentheses are mine.
    Dan

Super Moderator

Extremely well said Dan. I just hope JVS reads your response because a review like his can do more damage to a brand without any justification. I don’t think these guys understand the power they hold with their “reviews”.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Extremely well said Dan. I just hope JVS reads your response because a review like his can do more damage to a brand without any justification. I don’t think these guys understand the power they hold with their “reviews”.

Joe.......
    I think most reviewers, and certainly magazine editors, have full knowledge of the impact reviews have on a manufacturer's products and reputation. Stereophile's editor is John Atkinson, a seasoned and respected reviewer himself and a top notch bench tech. Had I been John, I would have sent JVS back to his laptop for an attitude adjustment before publishing such a tarnished review of a fine music server/DAC/digital preamp. JVS reminds me of the rude aloof sales guy in a high-end audio store who does everything in his power while you are in the store to make you feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, and beneath his intelligence. This sales person often revels in the illusion he is somehow superior to anyone who enters the store, and considers the time spent with you either a complete waste or some great gift he granted you as he assumes he is lowering himself to speak with you. That's how JVS strikes me. And what's with the insistence for using his middle name in the byline? Kind of odd if you ask me.
    Dan

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Aurender A10 Review