Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Finland, that´s somewhere in Northern Europe

MSB M204 monoblocks

Has anyone heard them/own the MSB M204 monoblocks? I´d be interested in hearing what do you think.

I´ve heard them together with MSB Select and Reference DACs in Munich 2016 and again in 2017, and I was impressed.

And yes, I tried to Search. If I missed a thread, my aplogies.

Super Moderator

Re: MSB M204 monoblocks

I bet they are amazing. Just wish they weren't so expensive
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by walesi View Post
    Has anyone heard them/own the MSB M204 monoblocks? I´d be interested in hearing what do you think.

I´ve heard them together with MSB Select and Reference DACs in Munich 2016 and again in 2017, and I was impressed.

And yes, I tried to Search. If I missed a thread, my aplogies.
    I heard the MSB M204 mono amps at Axpona 2017 with the MSB Select II DAC and YG Sonja 1.2 speakers. In my opinion, it was one of the best systems I've ever heard. The amps delivered beautiful Class A sound but surprisingly didn't generate that much heat. They are remarkably well designed amplifiers and produce wonderful synergy with the other components in that system.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

they sounded superb in HK - gold bling was pretty cool as well

Source: Technics SP10mk3 - Thales Simplicity II, TW Raven AC-3 - Graham Phantom, SME 3012-R, Exclusive P3,,Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas Lambda SL, Lyra Etna SL, Lyra Delos, Dynavector XV-1s,Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon ESC'd 103R, DL-S1, Audio Technica AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: Phasemation EA-1200, Accuphase C-37,TW Acustik phono
    EQ: ​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: D'Agostino HD, conrad johnson GAT,
    Amps: conrad johnson teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum S250
    Speakers: Wilson Maxx3

Super Moderator

Love the color.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Hi,

We have a pair currently in the store. They were hooked up at first to the same YG Sonja 1.2, and now to the Wilson Alexia Series 2.
    Hooked up directly to the MSB SELECT DAC, they're really warm, yet fast and detailed.
    We keep them in the "high bias" setting, which makes them put out quite a bit of heat, but there is a "low bias" setting as well...

cheers,
    alex

I have the older M202s. They a classic class A sound - they are very smooth sounding, a bit on the warm side, with beautiful tone. They are a no negative feedback design, which means thay offer a free flowing liquidity at an expense of ultimate speed and bass articulation.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

i have had the stereo version , the msbs200 for a number of years . its so realistic in its presentation , and sounds exceptional .
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    i have had the stereo version , the msbs200 for a number of years . its so realistic in its presentation , and sounds exceptional .
    +1

I had the S200 before I got the M202. World class sound for real world money.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Audioshark

Great amps. I've always liked the way they sounded. They looks are a little odd, but the design makes a lot of sense.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by asiufy View Post
    Hi,

We have a pair currently in the store. They were hooked up at first to the same YG Sonja 1.2, and now to the Wilson Alexia Series 2.
    Hooked up directly to the MSB SELECT DAC, they're really warm, yet fast and detailed.
    We keep them in the "high bias" setting, which makes them put out quite a bit of heat, but there is a "low bias" setting as well...

cheers,
    alex
    Alex - Interesting combo of the MSB amps with Alexias S2s. Can you say more about the pairing?

Thx!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Not sure the model, but a club member has MBL mono block amps, powering MBL speakers, through MBL preamp... great sounding system!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Alex - Interesting combo of the MSB amps with Alexias S2s. Can you say more about the pairing?

Thx!
    Sure! Today was final set up day with Peter McGrath, and we were all impressed how the amps just got out of the way, and no matter the volume, the Alexias sounded full yet precise, with punchy, tight bass.

I'm still getting acquainted with the Alexias, so when I put the D'Agostinos (or the ARC GS150) back, I'll get a better feel for what the amps were doing vs some other competing designs, on the Wilsons.

But so far, the setup is simply amazing!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I own msb 204, pair them with big TADs. They are really good: musical, silent with deep musical insight, just a bit on a warm side, bass tight, but not too controlled (since it is no feedback design). For me a top notch solid state. Have heard many of top solid states (gryphon, mbl, esoteric, constellation...) - for me they are among the very best. But they need quite some warm up time to play excellent. I have not played them for 3 months (have been using big vtl tube monos), but hooked them up last weekend. They needed a day to really wake up, I am still amazed how well they play.

Regarding the functionality: still do not understand what is standby switch - I think it is mute since it seems that does not impact power consumption. They have low and high gain switch, in low gain they are quite hard to drive.

some thoughts from bonzo on the 204 and other items

http://zero-distortion.org/dohmann-h...ger-statement/
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac

Quote Originally Posted by tbzc View Post
    I own msb 204, pair them with big TADs. They are really good: musical, silent with deep musical insight, just a bit on a warm side, bass tight, but not too controlled (since it is no feedback design). For me a top notch solid state. Have heard many of top solid states (gryphon, mbl, esoteric, constellation...) - for me they are among the very best. But they need quite some warm up time to play excellent. I have not played them for 3 months (have been using big vtl tube monos), but hooked them up last weekend. They needed a day to really wake up, I am still amazed how well they play.

Regarding the functionality: still do not understand what is standby switch - I think it is mute since it seems that does not impact power consumption. They have low and high gain switch, in low gain they are quite hard to drive.
    Are the comments in the link in Post #15 about your system? Big TADs, M204 and VTL are one major coincidence if it isn't your system...LOL.

Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Are the comments in the link in Post #15 about your system? Big TADs, M204 and VTL are one major coincidence if it isn't your system...LOL.

Ken
    Yes they are. But they are not my comments. Do you see any issues?

Quote Originally Posted by tbzc View Post
    Yes they are. But they are not my comments. Do you see any issues?
    No issues with the comments. The reviewer generally found the VTL amps to have more body, dimension and bloom than the MSB amps. I've read similar comments in the comparison of tube and solid state amps. It really comes down to what your preference is sonically. And we know Kedar has a penchant for the tube sound (Lampizator).

Best,
    Ken

Hi, I also love Vitus, Dagostino, Symphonic Line Kraft, and preferred the Spectral DMA 400 to VTL s450 on XLF (you can do a direct compare in NY).

I preferred Vitus to Kondo Kagura on Magico at Rhapsody’s.

Of my top speaker choices, one is restored Apogees, for which I only look at SS. No tubes, though I have heard one Duetta sound great with TRL tubes. I would assume the same for speakers like YG and TAD though there can be cases of powered push pulls like AR 250SE and VTL Siegfried pulling ahead of some SS

My other speaker choices are all horns for which I will use SETs, though if not for the reputation of it blowing up, my amp of choice would have been Tenor 75 OTL

In phonos, I have preferred both, sometimes the SS outclassing the valve

My top 3 favorite systems are all SS – Mike Lavigne’s, Apogee Grands, and Yamamuras.

The rest have at least one valve component in them.

My favorite pre is AR Ref 10, VTL 7.5, for use on big cones/Apogees, provided they can drive the SS amp and suit the gain impedance of the 242 tubes in my Lampi. Unlike for many the pre for me is the least important of the 4 (Speaker, source, power, pre, that order)

And I am not just a solid state guy... I own the ARC Reference CD-9 Player, the ARC Reference 10 Preamp and the Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps (tube input stage, solid state output stage). As a side note, I owned the Apogee Duetta Signatures for many years. Still some of the most lifelike vocals and piano I've ever heard.

Ken

The restored ones are much better today, and a great example can be heard in long island. My favorite medium room system and that too at a budget. The bass panels now are way superior

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    The restored ones are much better today, and a great example can be heard in long island. My favorite medium room system and that too at a budget. The bass panels now are way superior
    On certain recordings, I've not yet heard to this day, another brand of speakers that can touch the Apogee's vocals.

Ken

The Scintillas and have Full Range have a pure ribbon, so the vocals on those are even better, as compared to the Duetta which is Kapton backed ribbon. The Analysis Audio also are good at vocals, as they are based on Apogees. But where the Apogees when set up properly with enough current and power excel is the bass and dynamics. The whole plane of the speakers kicks at you with the typani or the kick drum, the bass is in space rather than in a driver, and the bass decay is fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    And I am not just a solid state guy... I own the ARC Reference CD-9 Player, the ARC Reference 10 Preamp and the Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps (tube input stage, solid state output stage). As a side note, I owned the Apogee Duetta Signatures for many years. Still some of the most lifelike vocals and piano I've ever heard.

Ken
    I am also a tube guy, have almost 40 tubes in the system... But you would be suprised how close msb came compared to vtls. I must admit If Ked would not come to my house I would never made such a thorough comparison. I let them playing when he left and they only got better. There was a third person in a room when we did compare the amps and he preferred msb. He used 'more delicate' as a descriptor. I think that today's top ss can be very close to top tube and vice versa. Modern top ss can have many properties of good tube (bloom, 3d) and also modern tube amps do have many ss properties (bass control, dynamics).

not heard a ref 10 but i did see one recently in a repair shop . beautiful piece of kit but took a very long time to get repaired and 2 boxes is a pain to ship .

not heard a ref 10 but i did see one recently in a repair shop . beautiful piece of kit but took a very long time to get repaired and 2 boxes is a pain to ship .
    I can tell you that the Ref 10 sounds even better than it looks. In fact, it's the best sounding preamp I've heard. Body, dimension and dynamics in spades. It never ceases to amaze me. I've had mine for a year and it has worked flawlessly. Almost all of my gear is made in the USA, so shipping back to the manufacturer for the occasional repair is never a problem. Other preamps that have graced my listening room include the Cary SLP-05, Pass Labs XP-30, Soulution 520, VAC Master and ARC Ref 6.

Ken

Phil, you might remember Steve who used to run KJ West One. I had been listening at his client's place with him, comparing Ypsilon PST1, the older Dartzeel pre, and Berning pre. Through Dart and Constellation amps, into Wilson Alexia 1. I had taken my Lampi along for the source. The guy there owned an AR Ref 10 which was in his other room, I was so not willing to try it initially as I am not a fan of Ref 3 or 5 or 5SE (they are good but not great). At the end we had time, so put in the Ref 10 and it just blew away everyone. So much more bass, soundstage behind, at the sides, decay, and ambience. And great drive. I think the added power supply improved the bass performance and details on orchestral. I haven't heard the Ref 40 but it is similar to the 10, just discontinued, 10 has some user friendly panels and a couple of caps. So the 40 is possibly the best buy.

ah yes , i remember steve .!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MSB M204 monoblocks