Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

what Phono stage do you using?

Hi all.
    i am interesting to see\hear from you guys which phono stage(s) are you all using right now?
    which do the trick for ya? tube or SS? how long did you go for (investment wise) compared to you analog set up in general...

Speakers: Boenicke W13SE+ ֿ/ Clarisys Audio Auditorium
    Preamp: CH Precision L1
    Amp: CH Precision M1.1
    Cables: mostly Fono Acustica, VYDA, SAEC
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2+ Streaming hd board/ RoonLab NUCLEUS/ SOtM Lan switches and clocks. / Aries Cerat Helene
    TT:TT 1- V.Y.G.E.R INDIAN SIGNATURE + TITAN (KV9vta max /SAEC 4700 - second arm rotation)
    TT 2 - CSPORT TATM2 + LINEAR ARM (SAEC 4700 second arm rotation)
    Carts':AIDAS Tibetan Yak gold LE, Top Wing Red Sparrow, Etsuro Urushi GOLD, Sumile, Kondo IO-X, DS audio W3....
    Phono: CH Precision P1+X1
    Racks: ROGUZ carbon, ASR platform Ohio XL ...
    Power treatment Ps Audio P10 ֿ/ VYDA PD1

I started off with the small EAR 384 P (tube), migrated to ARC PH6 (tube), auditioned for a while in my system the Nagra VPS (tube) and now running Grandinote Celio (magnetosolid).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: what Phono stage do you using?

I've owned many over the years, my favorite until recently had been the tube offerings from BAT. I ran two tables a lot of the time and mostly had a BAT VK-P10 and VK-P10se w/super pak. I have owned a few VK-P10se without the super pak too. I Just sold my last one.
    During this time period (13 or so years) I have also had Audio Research Ref 2, Parasound JC 3+, Tom Evans Groove, Pass Labs Xono w/ smaller power supply, Ayre P5xe, Simaudio LP5.3 w/outboard power supply, ASR Basis Exclusive. Some of these I liked, but none better than any of the BAT units.
    Right now I am using the AudioNet PAM G2 with optional EPS G2 power supply. I like it more than any I have had so far.
    Audionet Pre g2, Max, Pam G2, EPX. Yg Acoustics, Kubala Sosna

Using Zesto Andros 1.2 tube phono. A wonderful piece, great looking and at a reasonable cost.

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Using Zesto Andros 1.2 tube phono. A wonderful piece, great looking and at a reasonable cost.
    The Zesto 1.2 I preferred to Allnic 3000 by a fair margin, on the Kronos Sparta with Acoustical Palladian and soundsith Poua carts. The dealer said that's a giant killer, he loves it

Quote Originally Posted by tom_hankins View Post
    I've owned many over the years, my favorite until recently had been the tube offerings from BAT. I ran two tables a lot of the time and mostly had a BAT VK-P10 and VK-P10se w/super pak. I have owned a few VK-P10se without the super pak too. I Just sold my last one.
    During this time period (13 or so years) I have also had Audio Research Ref 2, Parasound JC 3+, Tom Evans Groove, Pass Labs Xono w/ smaller power supply, Ayre P5xe, Simaudio LP5.3 w/outboard power supply, ASR Basis Exclusive. Some of these I liked, but none better than any of the BAT units.
    Right now I am using the AudioNet PAM G2 with optional EPS G2 power supply. I like it more than any I have had so far.
    Can you please describe differences in classical music, especially between ASR, AR Ref 2, and the BAT? Feel free to add any. And are you saying you now prefer the Audionet to the BAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I started off with the small EAR 384 P (tube), migrated to ARC PH6 (tube), auditioned for a while in my system the Nagra VPS (tube) and now running Grandinote Celio (magnetosolid).

Hi, can you please say what you preferred about the Grandinote to the Nagra, especially on classical music?

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Hi, can you please say what you preferred about the Grandinote to the Nagra, especially on classical music?
    I got the Nagra to sound very good, but somehow it nevertheless tended to sound either too flat or too sweet, depending on which card I was using. What was mostly putting me off was that I needed to listen louder than I wanted to get the best out of it. It delivered great details, but no SS level bass definition.

The Grandinote in turn delivers best of both worlds with tremendous detail, a touch of sweetness and still well defined bass. I guess due to the Magnetosolid design (tube architecture implemented with SS technology).

The Nagra is great, but I like the Grandinote better.

Addition: In particular related to classical music I feel that string dynamics and crescendos become more lively with the more structured bass.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Can you please describe differences in classical music, especially between ASR, AR Ref 2, and the BAT? Feel free to add any. And are you saying you now prefer the Audionet to the BAT?
    It's been awhile since the ASR and the ARC, but the BAT was a bigger more powerful sound than either of them. The ARC had a really wide soundstage, I do remember that. But it didn't sound (to me) as fleshed out through the midrange as the BAT, it was very good though and just a preference thing.
    The ASR was not for me.
    The AudioNet with or without the upgraded power supply is really good. It is my favorite by a good margin. It is quiet, extended, resolves detail better than any I have had. It has nice dense images, really no weaknesses I have heard. For classical none I have had could throw a stage like it does.
    If I didn't have the AudioNet, I would have the BAT VK-p12se with super pak, or ARC Reference 3.
    Audionet Pre g2, Max, Pam G2, EPX. Yg Acoustics, Kubala Sosna

I started with phono card installed as an option in Accu E450 integrated amp.
    Then I bought my first separate phono - the Microgroove by Tom Evans, then upraded to Microgroove+ mk2 and a few years ago I bought directly from Tom Evans a Groove + mk2 with new Lithos regulators and a separate power supply.
    It' s a SS design but in perfect match with my SET amplification.
    The analog is for me a third source after files and sacds to play my old vinyls and some new which I buy occasionaly.
    Last edited by Marslo; August 21, 2017 at 09:15 AM.
    Aurender W20->Lampizator Pacific SE/Audio Aero La Fontaine->Ayon Crossfire III or Circle Labs A100-> Avantgarde Acoustic Trio LE 26, 4x REL Carbon Special Subwoofers
    Analog : Fat Bob S with SME 5, Shelter Harmony, Tom Evans Groove+ SRX mk2, Muarah PSC with InteliClamp
    cabling: Duelund DCA 16GA, Acrolink, Vovox, Siltech, Transparent, Audio Phase , NxLT The Flame, FTA Callisto and Sinope usb, Fadel Art , Argentum , REL Bassline Blue

HT : Sony HW 50 ES, Oppo 93 EU, Darbee DVP-5000 ,Yamaha Aventage RX-A 3010 , B&W 9.1, screen 120 inches matt white

I started with something simple then graduated to a Hagerman Coronet that I built and upgraded myself. It was a wonderful project and I learned a lot.

Then I went to the big boy, the Hagerman Trumpet and haven't looked back.

IMO, the phono stage is the most overlooked and critical component in a turntable setup. If it isn;lt up to the task then nothing you put in front of it will sound as good as it should.
    Vine, Vide, Velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck around.

BAT VK-P5 Six Pak Plus. I am quite pleased with it.

I started with an ARC PH3, then I added a Cinemag SUT with my Denon dl-103r. This sounded good but was a little too rolled off.

I then tried a Moon 110LP but it was a little too bright and aggressive sounding.

Then I tried a Jeff Rowland Consummate phono and preamp and that has been my best choice. Quiet yet detailed. The highs are more extended but not etched like with the Moon. I then upgraded the cartridge to a ZYX Universe and everything improved. I am totally happy. For an old phono amp it sure works well.
    Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

I've had my Fosgate Signature in the mix for six years now, couldn't be happier .........

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/fos...meter-tas-206/
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Rogue Ares Magnum - with a Bob's Devices Sky 40 SUT, Audioquest WEL LP interconnects, and my selected NOS tube blend. The Ares has come a long way from the 1st bone stock unit I bought in 2010. Shamefully, this is my 4th Ares purchased. In this most recent configuration, I preferred it over the $10K VAC Renaissance phono stage. And I used to love the VAC Renaissance III preamp's built-in MM stage, but like I said the maxxed Ares has come a long way. I run various Koetsu Platinum cartridges.

Audio Research Reference 3
    Pretty darn awesome sounding all around!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

thanks you guys! awesome choices around!
    will love to hear the ARC ref3 but around here is nearly impossible.
    i was heard at a friend house the 2 se a couple of times with CA GFA, but he got so much different system then mine, its impossible to cut the phono benefits.

any one got any experience with KONDO GE1 and sut?
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2+ Streaming hd board/ RoonLab NUCLEUS/ SOtM Lan switches and clocks. / Aries Cerat Helene
    TT:TT 1- V.Y.G.E.R INDIAN SIGNATURE + TITAN (KV9vta max /SAEC 4700 - second arm rotation)
    Carts':AIDAS Tibetan Yak gold LE, Top Wing Red Sparrow, Etsuro Urushi GOLD, Sumile, Kondo IO-X, DS audio W3....

I loved the Burm 100 much more than the Arc Ph7 (which is a much lower price bracket), and interestingly, in his review (think it was Richard Mak) commented that the Burm still had the hold over Ref 2, similar to what I remember over the Ph7, but he said that the Ref 3 had leveled that gap. So the jump from Ref 2 to 3 must be quite something. Interestingly ARC with the their Ref 40, Ref 10, Ref 250SE and Ref 3 seem to have really upped their sound.

VictorKab Phonostage!

Attached Images Attached Images

Nice. Is that the Doehmann helix with atlas on the Schroeder CB?

Nice. Is that the Doehmann helix with atlas on the Schroeder CB?
    Here is my friend system and I don't remember about his arm. Sorry.

Tavish Adagio here, with NOS tubes, the uprated Jensen SUTs, and a larger-than-stock power supply transformer. Made a few cosmetic mods too (removed the tube guards to make wife happy, changed the knobs for some nice Kilos.) Last thing I had to compare it to was my Acoustech PH1, but so far I am very happy with it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Main system: PS Audio P5, CAPS server w/HDPlex power supply, Hegel H160, AQ Colorado and Rocket 44, Vandersteen Treos, PS Audio DS DAC. NAD M4 tuner, Mcintosh MR74. Analog: Bryston BLP1, Ortofon Quintet Black, customized Tavish Adagio phono pre. AudioSensibility Statement interconnects. Rythmik Audio 15-inch sub. Other stuff: Sequerra Met 7's (original) Met 7 MK. II, REL Q108, Berning ea-230's, Micro Seiki BL51 with Grace and Rega arms. Too much else to list, I am gonna leave a heck of a pile of stuff when I die.

I use a Modwright PH-150 tube phonostage. A great sounding unit with exceptional versatility with it's ability to adjust settings "on the fly".

After hearing some great sounding turntable set-ups at last month's CA audio show in Oakland, I was floored. I bought a VPI Classic 1, Ortofon Windfeld cartridge and right away am having a Graham 2.2 tonearm installed. I also am shocked how good my new Canary MC10 sounds. Phono cable is from PranaWire. I forgot how beautiful vinyl can sound.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

EAR 868PL. I have run quite a few nice dedicated phono preamps but the minimalist in me prefers one box for the SUTs, Phono and Line pres. Ill likely move to the 912 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced101 View Post
    EAR 868PL. I have run quite a few nice dedicated phono preamps but the minimalist in me prefers one box for the SUTs, Phono and Line pres. Ill likely move to the 912 next year.
    the 912 is a phenomenal pre\phono!

I recently bought an Aesthetix Rhea Signature. Had the Rhea for a few years and loved it so the Signature was the obvious upgrade path for me.
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

Quote Originally Posted by byrdparis View Post
    the 912 is a phenomenal pre\phono!
    I had the EAR entry model which was nice, but I moved on quite quickly.

So you say the top tier ones are worth an auditioning...

Quote Originally Posted by myrman View Post
    I recently bought an Aesthetix Rhea Signature. Had the Rhea for a few years and loved it so the Signature was the obvious upgrade path for me.
    A friend near Reading has the 3 box IO signature, fantastic

I've not heard the IO. I can only imagine how good it sounds.
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

Manley Chinook, with some 7308(4) Amperex Green Globe Logo/Gold Pins Mid 1970s NOS.
    Amp/PreAmp/Phono: Manley Labs Snapper, Jumbo Shrimp, Chinook Speakers: Joseph Audio RM25XL Analog: Rega P5, TTPSU, Tungsten CW, GT Ref Sub-Platter/Delrin Platter, DV Karat 17D3 Digital: Rega Saturn Cables/PC: Synergistic Research, Running Springs Audio Rack: Quadraspire Q4EVO, Mapleshade Platforms/Isoblocks Tubes: Winged C SED EL34, Mullard 12AX7/12AT7, Amperex 7308 LPs: 198 CDs: 247

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    Manley Chinook, with some 7308(4) Amperex Green Globe Logo/Gold Pins Mid 1970s NOS.
    A terrific performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Audioshark

1) Vitus Masterpiece
    2) Dynamic Sound Associates Phono II

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I've been breaking in the baby Octave eq.2 phono and must say it has surprised me more and more. Just takes forever to come into its own. Not transistor-y at all.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    I've been breaking in the baby Octave eq.2 phono and must say it has surprised me more and more. Just takes forever to come into its own. Not transistor-y at all.
    I also tested the dinky Octave EQ2 when getting back into phono and must say I found it phenomenal for its price. Punches way above its league.

Wow Mike, the Vitus phono? Must be awesome

Audioshark

Wow Mike, the Vitus phono? Must be awesome
    It's truly world class. And for $54,000, it better be!

Danon Hong said it's the best Phonostage in the world.

CH Precision P1 (Stereo) with X1 power supply; and Kondo M1000 mkII pre with internal phono.

Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Quote Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
    CH Precision P1 (Stereo) with X1 power supply; and Kondo M1000 mkII pre with internal phono.

Also using the P1/X1 combo.

I am using
    the moving coil phono stage of my McIntosh C1000C/P solid state preamplifier. It is a remarkably transparent, dynamic, and quiet phono stage that works very well with my Ortofon Cadenza Black. I had previously used the moving coil phono stage in my McIntosh C1000C/T tube preamplifier. It was also a very fine sounding phono stage but was not quiet enough to satisfy me, even with NOS Telefunken tubes. The solid state C1000C/P proved superior so the tube preamp was sold. Several years ago I purchased the Pass Labs XP-15 solid state phone preamp from Reno HiFi and did a head to head comparison with the C1000C/P phono stage. Although the XP-15 sounded very good with a silky smooth midrange, the signal to noise ratio was not as good as the C1000C/P phono stage. Raising the preamplifier volume displayed a higher noise level in the XP-15 that did not satisfy me. I returned the XP-15 to Reno HiFi, and true to their word the return and refund went without a hitch.

The moving coil phono stage in the McIntosh C1000C/P solid state preamplifier continues to impress me with every LP I spin. At any volume level I chose to play music, its moving coil phono stage is satisfyingly quiet. The ability to control phono cartridge loading on the fly via the remote control from the comfort of the sweet spot is also a huge advantage. That feature makes dip switch adjustments seem medieval. Being able to instantly compare one resistance load to another from the listening position will spoil you.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Hi Tunes,

Excellent choice

What kind of impact did adding the X1 have in your system?

Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Hi!
    can you describe the differences between the CH and the Kondo (do you use the sfz sut with the kondo?)
    thank you!

Hi Tunes,

Excellent choice

What kind of impact did adding the X1 have in your system?

Carlos,
    The X1 added a greater sense of weight to the bottom end and the soundstage seems to be expanded in width and depth. I am guessing that much of this is due to the further minimization of noise and therefore more detail observed when listening. CH has the measured stats of how much of a reduction of noise can be expected for the P1 with X1. I have this info somewhere and can dig it up and share it with you if you're interested.
    Chris

Battery goodness via Sutherland Phd.

I've been using a BAT VK-P5 for over ten years and love it. With mc cartridges I also use a K&K Premium SUT. You have to spend silly money to make much improvement, IMO. Fortunately, we have an abundance of very good phono amps in the $2K - $5K range.
    Regards,
    Steve

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...geezr-s-system
    I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Quote Originally Posted by slowgeezr View Post
    I've been using a BAT VK-P5 for over ten years and love it. With mc cartridges I also use a K&K Premium SUT. You have to spend silly money to make much improvement, IMO. Fortunately, we have an abundance of very good phono amps in the $2K - $5K range.
    I have a K&K as well. Recently, I have just plugged directly in to the VK-P5 using the high gain with very good results. The output of my cart is .4mv.

Audioshark

I've sold my Vitus Masterpiece (owner won't be picking it up until the new year). I'm looking at replacing it with the Kronos Phonostage, ARC REF3 or ARC REF10 Phono. My concern about the Kronos Phonostage is that it's designed only to be used with the Kronos. Although unlikely, what if I replaced it one day? Guess that's my concern.

Would love to hear from someone who has compared the ARC REF3 Phono vs the REF10 Phono.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've sold my Vitus Masterpiece (owner won't be picking it up until the new year). I'm looking at replacing it with the Kronos Phonostage, ARC REF3 or ARC REF10 Phono.

Mike you are not satisfied with the Vitus?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Alectiong View Post
    Mike you are not satisfied with the Vitus?

Oh no, I am, it's one of the best (Asian Audio Reviewer, Danon Hong says it's the best), but I had someone interested to buy it. Time to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Try1256 View Post
    I have a K&K as well. Recently, I have just plugged directly in to the VK-P5 using the high gain with very good results. The output of my cart is .4mv.
    Yeah, K&K makes a very good transformer. When I told them what load I needed for my cartridge, they sent me a pair of plug in resistors to make it happen. They didn't even charge me for them. Great small company.
    Regards,
    Steve

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...geezr-s-system
    I only do what the voices in my wife's head tell her to tell me to do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team