Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Speaker cable break in question

I've been using the same speaker cables for 20+ years. They're Tara Labs Prism Biwire, which was a 2x 14 or 2x12 gauge per conductor star-quad arrangement, terminated with single bananas on each end. They've served well, but are at the end of their life (insulation cracking, bananas barely make contact with the terminals, etc).

As part of my new system, I acquired an equivalent length of Kimber 12TC with WBT610 locking bananas. This represents the top of my financial comfort zone for speaker cable at the moment (~$1.0k). Installed Monday evening as the only change made at that time. Immediately noticed a reduction in bass (impact, presence, and extension), and an etching in the upper midrange. The system suddenly sounds "thin".

Am I experiencing cable break in effects, and should be patient, or am I hearing a real difference in the cable?

Note that until now, I would consider myself in the "skeptical" camp when it comes to cables. But both me and my wife heard this instantly, and independently came to the same conclusions about the sound. We're both a bit shocked that this new and rather expensive cable sounds so much worse than an ancient piece that was literally falling apart.

Thanks for any input!

Re: Speaker cable break in question

Here is how I break in my speaker cables.

Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Hmm - I just did that at the gym on Sunday, though as they say, results may vary...

Sorry a little early morning audio humor.......I have heard the weave configuration in the Kimber speaker wire can produce large audible swings based on the amp and load (speaker). I am sure we will get more knowledgeable members to reply. I would go back to the Tara labs cables and return the Kimber if it were me.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    .............................I have heard the weave configuration in the Kimber speaker wire can produce large audible swings based on the amp and load (speaker). I am sure we will get more knowledgeable members to reply.
    I would do the opposite.
    Because of their very low end-to-end resistance and rather low high frequency impedance, they are very accurate cables.
    So if you want accuracy keep the Kimber's. If you want euphoric coloration maybe go back to the Tara cables, I guess.

I would go back to the Tara labs cables and return the Kimber if it were me.[/QUOTE]

I am using the same exact Tara cables in my secondary system along with matching ICs. I once tried PBJs and 8TC in place and also did not like the sound as much so switched back. I know it's of no help, but a similar personal experience.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

IMO

Cables do require break-in and it seems like a couple three hundred hours at least. So to be apples to apples, you should listen to broken-in cables to broken-in cables.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Me too......Using the Kimber 12TC at the office.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    I am using the same exact Tara cables in my secondary system along with matching ICs. I once tried PBJs and 8TC in place and also did not like the sound as much so switched back. I know it's of no help, but a similar personal experience.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

I presently have 5 sets of speaker cables including a pair of Kimber 8tc.
    I find the Kimber to be middle of the road in it's tonal balance. Other cables I have do bass or treble or detail or depth better than the 8tc in one way or the other. And prefer to use one of my other cables vs the Kimber,which is delegated to 2nd system usage. (not sure why I'm holding on to it).
    I am not familiar with the Tara cables and therefore cannot make a direct comparison. However I do know that the etch and or brightness will dissipate with break-in but in my experience the bass will not get deeper nor stronger.
    It sounds like this cable may not be the best match for your system.
    I would look elsewhere if I were you. YMMV.
    My System
    Acoustic Revive RTP-4
    Innuos Pulsar
    Lampizator BALTIC4
    Cary SLP-05
    Pass XA30.5 or
    Line Magnetic 845ia
    Reference 3A Reflector's
    Pr SVS SB3000 Subs
    Cables & Tubes "subject to change without notification".
    Complete system on battery power/solar
    Core Audio Design Rack
    DIY bass traps and custom curved diffusors.

agreed , I would get rid of the Kimber quick .
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Seems to be a consensus that this is a characteristic sound of the cable that isn't going to change much (at least not on the bottom end). Drat...

If that's the case, any recommendations for a different speaker cable that might work better? I finally remembered to update my signature with the new system components so I don't have to type it all out... I really don't want to get into the business of flipping components, but this may be a case where it's the right thing to do.
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

Super Moderator

Jeff,

If you want a GREAT cable that will not break the bank, check out

http://www.avantiaudio.com/speaker-cables-1.html

I am using them now and love them.

I love Kimber cables but not crazy about the 8/12TC line. Just not my flavor.

On my JBL 4367, I use a bi-wire Neotech which is awesome too. They were more money.

With the Avanti Audio cables, I have Mike's jumpers and I am using them on my Studio2. Love what I hear.

On my Strads I use the Kimber all copper with bananas. I forget the model (KS6063?) but they look like a thick hose.
    Last edited by joeinid; August 16, 2017 at 05:22 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Jeff

Here is another reasonably priced option. They replaced Wireworld in my main system about two years ago.

http://audiosensibility.com/blog/pro...tegory=2595835

Steven offers a 30 day money back guarantee along with free shipping. The Canadian exchange rate helps out too.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

So I've given the 12TC some additional break in time, and my opinion has changed somewhat. It seems fairly clear now that my ears had become accustomed to the old Tara cables (after "just" 20 years, I'm sure that's hard to believe!), and the Tara apparently had a pronounced midbass hump of some kind that made it rather boomy and one-note. The 12TC clearly has more detail and goes quite a bit deeper; it just took some time to adjust to hearing the new sound as not only different, but better. Should be noted that there has been a change in sonic character of the Kimber over the past few weeks too, and it has been for the better - smother mids and more integrated bass. Let this be a lesson to us all that familiarity can breed a false sense of "correctness"...

There may be gains to be had from yet another cable, but I'm going to live with this one for a while before exploring options.
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Speaker cable break in question