Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60

Hi all,

I have just joined AS and am hoping for some advice/comments/suggestions.

I am deciding between buying the Magico S3 mk2s or the Dynaudio Contour 60s. I have a Devialet Expert Pro 220, a listening room around 15' x 25', and typically listen to rock and electronic music. I have listened to both the S3 mk2s and the Contour 60s once (and on separate days) and plan to listen to both again on the same day. Different retailers are selling them and have different set-ups but similar rooms sizes. The S3 mk2 retailer is using a Soulution integrated amp and the Contour 60 retailer is using a Mark Levinson integrated amp (unfortunately I forgot to get the details of each amp).

My initial impressions were that the S3 mk2s were a little more coherent, linear and articulate, but the Contour 60s had slightly deeper (but still well-defined and not overly 'boomy') bass. However, I am a little concerned that the Contour 60s might be too big for my small-ish room, particularly given that they are rear-ported. Notably, the S3 mk2s are more than double the price of the Contour 60s. I am willing to spend the extra dosh on the S3 mk2s but only if I conclude that there is an appreciable improvement over the Contour 60s.

Any thoughts before I give them both a second listen would be gratefully received!

AJR

Super Moderator

Re: Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60

Welcome to the forum AJR, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Magico S3 Mk2 all the way! Your room is the perfect size for them too.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Welcome AJR.

I recently replaced a ported Aerial 10T with a Magico S3 Mk II after listening to Aerial 7Ts, Wilson Sophia 3s and Sashas, and B&W 802 and 803 D3s. My general impression is that the S3 Mk II's base goes lower and is more accurate but less prominent than the ported speakers mentioned. I think the Magico's are to die for, but my musical tastes run toward classical and jazz, so YMMV. I would call you room more medium sized than smallish and would think either speaker should have adequate breathing space.

Thanks both. Much appreciated.

"...is more accurate but less prominent" is a great way of descibing the difference in bass. I have always has ported speakers so when I heard the S3 mk2s the bass sound surprised me a little.

Totally different price ranges, so not really apples to apples. The Dyn is a 10k speaker.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Hi all,

I have just joined AS and am hoping for some advice/comments/suggestions.

I am deciding between buying the Magico S3 mk2s or the Dynaudio Contour 60s. I have a Devialet Expert Pro 220, a listening room around 15' x 25', and typically listen to rock and electronic music. I have listened to both the S3 mk2s and the Contour 60s once (and on separate days) and plan to listen to both again on the same day. Different retailers are selling them and have different set-ups but similar rooms sizes. The S3 mk2 retailer is using a Soulution integrated amp and the Contour 60 retailer is using a Mark Levinson integrated amp (unfortunately I forgot to get the details of each amp).

My initial impressions were that the S3 mk2s were a little more coherent, linear and articulate, but the Contour 60s had slightly deeper (but still well-defined and not overly 'boomy') bass. However, I am a little concerned that the Contour 60s might be too big for my small-ish room, particularly given that they are rear-ported. Notably, the S3 mk2s are more than double the price of the Contour 60s. I am willing to spend the extra dosh on the S3 mk2s but only if I conclude that there is an appreciable improvement over the Contour 60s.

Any thoughts before I give them both a second listen would be gratefully received!

AJR
    I think you already summed it up yourself in the phrase that is in bold, I might add that on paper the comparison seems odd since one is almost triple the price of the other. May I ask what other candidates you had in mind and discarded before settling on those two? Welcome to the forum and let us know what you decide in the end.

You have a big enough room for the Dyns also.

Try to bring the Devialet to the dealers and listen to both speakers connected to it with the same music, you'll have one less variable to worry about and will be easier for you to pick a favorite.

I recently saw a s/h contour 60 for 5000 pounds . I guess a s/h magico would cost a lot more . I thought the 60 were pretty good vfm for the money when I heard them
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Thanks all for your comments.

I discarded the Focal Sopra 3s (too bright and a bit lightweight in the bottom end) and Sonus Faber Amatis (too warm and less sound definition).

Agree it seems odd comparing speakers in very different price brackets, but Dynaudio is notoriously good VfM and I really liked the sound of the Contour 60s.

Thanks for the comments that my room should be big enough for both speakers.

Will be testing both with my Devialet soon and will let everyone know my further thoughts.

AJR

Depending on where you are you might want to try to hear the Revel Salon 2, Nola KO2 or the Canton Reference 3K.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did try the Salon 2s and liked the sound but didn't like the aesthetic. Will check out the others.

I like both brands. The C 60 really impressed me hearing it. I think the new Contour is really going to do well for Dynaudio.

Like you, I heard both on different electronics. I will try to convey my impressions, not meaning anything negative but trying to distinguish what difference I hear.

The C 60 has a nice flat response, open and reminds a bit of leaning toward a studio monitor sound. A bit more attitude or attack than Magico. Also, I'm not sure which models of Magico I heard but they seem to display the same sort of character. I got a sense of dark background with a smooth sparkling high end, a lot of refinement that made it a nice listen. I'm not coming up with the words for Magico I want, they deliver the music with such an ease and non-offensive manner, while remaining musical.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

So, I listened to the Dynaudio Contour 60s and the Magicos S3 mk2s today. Conclusions:

- Magico's high and mid range is superior. Slightly crisper and slightly better sound separation. Maybe 15% better to put a number on it. But the Dynaudios are still very, very good.

- Dynaudios bass is phat! You feel the air move inside you. But in a controlled way. The Magicos bass is super tightly controlled and seemed to go a bit deeper but you don't 'feel' it like you do with the Dynaudios. The bass in the Dynaudios can in some tracks be a little too prominent whereasthe Magicos bass seems perfectly integrated with the rest of the sound. But can always adjust the bass down from the Devialet. I mainly listen to rock and bass-heavy electronic music (but also listen to Jazz) so bass is important to me. I do like to 'feel' it.

- The soundstage created by the Magicos is deeper and more '3D'.

- The Magicos sound was more linear. They sounded a bit better at lower volume.

- Magicos sound is more 'neutral' (ie more of a complete pass-thru of the sound from the amp) whereas the Dynaudios have a slightly 'warmer' sound.

- Magicos win hands down on the aesthetic front. They are smaller (the Dynaudios are taller with a bigger footprint, although footprint is not too big) and just look absolutely stunning. Orgasmic even! The test speakers were a stunning dark bronze colour. Cast aluminium casing so a beautiful rough texture which is very noticeable and looks superb.

- Am less concerned than I was about the Dynaudios being too big for my room (in terms of needing space from the rear wall to breathe). More of an aesthetic thing as they are very tall speakers and would visually dominate my room. Simply put - I could spend a long time just gazing in awe at the Magicos; not so with the Dynaudios. Not that the Dynaudios are ugly - just very tall and 'normal' looking.

- Magicos are obviously a lot more expensive. I understand why.

Hmmmm. Plenty to think about. Short conclusion is that the Magicos are a more pure and better speaker with almost perfect sound integration and imaging. They are almost flawless. Only reservations are the significant additional cost (VfM - the Magicos were not 'miles' better IMHO, but the were appreciably better) and I did like the bigger bass sound and general 'warmth' from the Dynaudios.

A question for everyone: the Magicos I tested had only about 100 hours run in time (as did the Dynaudios). How does the sound (especially the bass) change after say 300-400 hours?

Also, the sales guy said if I want a bigger bass sound I could alway get the Magico S-sub. They have one there but no connecting cable yet. I imagine that would probably do it! So maybe start with the Magicos, get over the sticker shock, and then add the S-sub? And so the audio arms race begins...

AJR

Another thought: taking into account my bass concerns, has anyone compared the S5 to the S3 mk2 with the S-sub? The retailer didn't have any S5s to test. They do have the S7s but they are beyond my budget.

Audioshark

Your room is perfect for the S3 mk2 - even without subs. S-Subs would definitely nice. As for the S5 mk2, give a listen to the S7's. They are close in performance, appearance, etc. If you prefer that sound, the S5 mk2's will be similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Thanks Mike. I get your point that the S3 mk2s are perfect for my room. And I agree. But what I am saying is I prefer more 'powerful' (am running out of words to describe my preference - best I can come up with is I like to physically 'feel') bass. Do you think the S5s will deliver on that? S7s might but they are a price point too far for me. The price point seems to be the S5s or the S3 mk2s plus S-sub. What I am after is the superior Magico soundscape but with big bass.

Audioshark

Thanks Mike. I get your point that the S3 mk2s are perfect for my room. And I agree. But what I am saying is I prefer more 'powerful' (am running out of words to describe my preference - best I can come up with is I like to physically 'feel') bass. Do you think the S5s will deliver on that? S7s might but they are a price point too far for me. The price point seems to be the S5s or the S3 mk2s plus S-sub. What I am after is the superior Magico soundscape but with big bass.
    Well, with the S-Subs, you can add more and more bass until your ass vibrates out of the room. The S5 mk2's do have more bass than the S3 mk2. But if it wasn't enough for your liking, then adding subs would still be the best option.

As a side, don't confuse more bass with better bass. Magico bass is very well defined and integrated and at first, some think there isn't enough bass because they're used to bloated "puff, puff" bass.

Mike - apologies. I now see what you are saying. Given my retailer doesn't have the S5 mk2s to test I should try the S7s that they do have, and if they give me the 'feel' I am after then maybe the S5s will do the job. The S5 mk2 drivers are of course bigger than the S3 mk2s so maybe they will.

Still, the question I ask the forum is whether anyone has compared the S5 mk2s against the S3 mk2s plus the S-sub.

AJR

"... until your ass vibrates out the room...". �� Maybe not to that extent!

Audioshark

Mike - apologies. I now see what you are saying. Given my retailer doesn't have the S5 mk2s to test I should try the S7s that they do have, and if they give me the 'feel' I am after then maybe the S5s will do the job. The S5 mk2 drivers are of course bigger than the S3 mk2s so maybe they will.

Still, the question I ask the forum is whether anyone has compared the S5 mk2s against the S3 mk2s plus the S-sub.

AJR
    Yes! That's what I'm saying.

I've heard the S3 mk2 with a single S Sub and I loved it. Properly integrated using the excellent Magico software that comes with the sub and you get that "wall of sound".

Thanks! How would you compare that to the S5 mk2 with no sub?

BTW - I get your point about flabby bass. Listening to the S3 mk2s was educational in that for the first time I heard tight bass with the S3 mk2s. I guess I am wondering if it is possible to get 'tight', precise bass (like the S3 mk2s) that I can still feel in my gut. Combined with perfect treble and mid range (which the S3 mk2s deliver) I will be in audiophile heaven! Maybe that is attainable, but at a budget of circa US$43k.

Audioshark

Thanks! How would you compare that to the S5 mk2 with no sub?

BTW - I get your point about flabby bass. Listening to the S3 mk2s was educational in that for the first time I heard tight bass with the S3 mk2s. I guess I am wondering if it is possible to get 'tight', precise bass (like the S3 mk2s) that I can still feel in my gut. Combined with perfect treble and mid range (which the S3 mk2s deliver) I will be in audiophile heaven! Maybe that is attainable, but at a budget of circa US$43k.
    I haven't been able to do a direct comparison, so it's hard to say. Give those S7's a listen and you'll be able to get a better idea.

So, I listened to the Dynaudio Contour 60s and the Magicos S3 mk2s today. Conclusions:

- Magico's high and mid range is superior. Slightly crisper and slightly better sound separation. Maybe 15% better to put a number on it. But the Dynaudios are still very, very good.

- Dynaudios bass is phat! You feel the air move inside you. But in a controlled way. The Magicos bass is super tightly controlled and seemed to go a bit deeper but you don't 'feel' it like you do with the Dynaudios. The bass in the Dynaudios can in some tracks be a little too prominent whereasthe Magicos bass seems perfectly integrated with the rest of the sound. But can always adjust the bass down from the Devialet. I mainly listen to rock and bass-heavy electronic music (but also listen to Jazz) so bass is important to me. I do like to 'feel' it.

- Magicos sound is more 'neutral' (ie more of a complete pass-thru of the sound from the amp) whereas the Dynaudios have a slightly 'warmer' sound.

- Magicos win hands down on the aesthetic front. They are smaller (the Dynaudios are taller with a bigger footprint, although footprint is not too big) and just look absolutely stunning. Orgasmic even! The test speakers were a stunning dark bronze colour. Cast aluminium casing so a beautiful rough texture which is very noticeable and looks superb.

- Am less concerned than I was about the Dynaudios being too big for my room (in terms of needing space from the rear wall to breathe). More of an aesthetic thing as they are very tall speakers and would visually dominate my room. Simply put - I could spend a long time just gazing in awe at the Magicos; not so with the Dynaudios. Not that the Dynaudios are ugly - just very tall and 'normal' looking.

Hmmmm. Plenty to think about. Short conclusion is that the Magicos are a more pure and better speaker with almost perfect sound integration and imaging. They are almost flawless. Only reservations are the significant additional cost (VfM - the Magicos were not 'miles' better IMHO, but the were appreciably better) and I did like the bigger bass sound and general 'warmth' from the Dynaudios.

A question for everyone: the Magicos I tested had only about 100 hours run in time (as did the Dynaudios). How does the sound (especially the bass) change after say 300-400 hours?

Also, the sales guy said if I want a bigger bass sound I could alway get the Magico S-sub. They have one there but no connecting cable yet. I imagine that would probably do it! So maybe start with the Magicos, get over the sticker shock, and then add the S-sub? And so the audio arms race begins...

AJR
    Regarding the bass with only about 100 hours on them, the bass on my S3 Mk IIs went from somewhat understated to over full at around 150 hours and then seemed to tighten gradually. In my case I didn't feel the whole package was fully broken in until around 400 - 500 hours.... but I wasn't timing this process precisely, so YMMV.

Had to look up "YMMV" (from your earlier post). Good expression!

Never heard the S-Sub, but I'm sure it is a great sub. But, I do have a bunch of experience with the Q-Sub and that sub does not do what you are questioning in the bass. It really does not make the bass fuller or warmer, it makes it go lower without question and with that it actually tightens up the bass/mid-bass. It smooths out the mids.

It also makes the price of the two speaker systems you are looking at even MORE lopsided price wise.

My suggestion is to get the one that engages you into the music more. Conveys the emotion, makes your toe tap etc. Sometimes a speaker that does things excellently and 'neutral' doesn't convey the emotion as other speakers.

AJR
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Wow. Fascinating. So to get the bass 'feel' I am describing I may need rear ported speakers (like the Dynaudios)? And that may mean blaspheming against a 'pure' bass sound like the Magico's produce?

I will take Mike's advice and at least listen to the S7s. And when my dealer finally gets a cable will listen to the S3 mk2s plus the S-sub. Then will be well informed.

Banned

Personally I'd keep searching for the perfect speaker that give you the bass you want without adding a Sub. Life is allot simpler when not having to try and integrate a sub.

Dr Tone,

do you have any suggestions? Is there a speaker that gives the S3 mk2 flawless upper and mid range but 'bigger' (but still defined and articulated - a la S3 mk2) bass?

AJR

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    Never heard the S-Sub, but I'm sure it is a great sub. But, I do have a bunch of experience with the Q-Sub and that sub does not do what you are questioning in the bass. It really does not make the bass fuller or warmer, it makes it go lower without question and with that it actually tightens up the bass/mid-bass. It smooths out the mids.

It also makes the price of the two speaker systems you are looking at even MORE lopsided price wise.

My suggestion is to get the one that engages you into the music more. Conveys the emotion, makes your toe tap etc. Sometimes a speaker that does things excellently and 'neutral' doesn't convey the emotion as other speakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    Personally I'd keep searching for the perfect speaker that give you the bass you want without adding a Sub. Life is allot simpler when not having to try and integrate a sub.

Very excellent information and advice.
    If you plan on adding a $15,000 S Sub at a later date I would re-evaluate my choices for speakers.
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

It is excellent advice. The difficulty though is that BOTH speakers got the juices flowing. But in different ways. Give me the Magico upper and mids and the Dynaudio bass and I would be very happy. Has anyone come across a speaker that does that (and is say less than US$50k).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post

+1. (and I'm also an electronica-head).

if you want to stick with Devialet, I would suggest a warm speaker as a pairing.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Super strange comparison. Feeling and “taste” aside, the S3 is WAY better than anything DA ever did, at any cost (I think that it is still the only so called "high-end" company I know of that uses drivers with polypropylene cones, yikes…).
    BTW, the S3 also goes lower. There is a good write up in the German “Stereo” magazine on the DA and the S3 Mk1 (The Mk2 is substantially better). They even make it easy for you to tell, they rate the products they review, 92 for the DA and 98 for the S3 (the S3 has the lowest distortion of any loudspeaker they ever measured).

https://stereo-magazine.com/flipview...gazine-2017-8/
    vs
    https://stereo-magazine.com/flipview...gazine-2016-5/

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    Feeling and “taste” aside,
    Don't we audition and choose speakers based pretty much on this criteria?

I read that review. I agree that technically the S3 mk2 wins, and that its bass goes deeper than the Dynaudios. But what it does not give is a visceral bass feeling. Its bass sound is no doubt technically better, but I quite like to physically feel the bass. What I am trying to work out is if it is possible to get the best of both worlds. Can I get the taut, articulated and deep S3 mk2 bass sound but so that I feel it (as opposed to just hearing it).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yes! That's what I'm saying.

I've heard the S3 mk2 with a single S Sub and I loved it. Properly integrated using the excellent Magico software that comes with the sub and you get that "wall of sound".

Now you got me interested...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

To some extent, the difference in bass is likely to be due to set-up in the two dealer showrooms.

Occasionally, the difference can be vast.

The only way to be relatively certain is to hear each at your place in similar positions.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

I will take Mike's advice and at least listen to the S7s. And when my dealer finally gets a cable will listen to the S3 mk2s plus the S-sub. Then will be well informed.
    I would be keen to hear the outcome of that test.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Super strange comparison. Feeling and “taste” aside, the S3 is WAY better than anything DA ever did, at any cost (I think that it is still the only so called "high-end" company I know of that uses drivers with polypropylene cones, yikes…).
    BTW, the S3 also goes lower. There is a good write up in the German “Stereo” magazine on the DA and the S3 Mk1 (The Mk2 is substantially better). They even make it easy for you to tell, they rate the products they review, 92 for the DA and 98 for the S3 (the S3 has the lowest distortion of any loudspeaker they ever measured).
    I am so glad someone else said it first: this comparison is a little like putting a Chevy and a Porsche next to each other and trying to compare them in all seriousness.

There are literally worlds between those speakers.

... Can I get the taut, articulated and deep S3 mk2 bass sound but so that I feel it (as opposed to just hearing it).
    Unfortunately not really. There is a big price to pay for the extra oomph you get form a port, smearing, resolution and extension, it gets old really fast. You need to readjust your propriety a bit , it will be worth it. Once you get accustom to the Magico bass, you would not be able to go back, nor would you remember what you were hearing before that you liked on these ported design.

I don't hear worlds between these speakers. Yes the S3 mk2s are better overall. They are flawless. Appreciably better, but IMHO it is not apples and oranges. I keep banging on about it but the bass isn't as big - you can't feel it. It is more precise however. Maybe it is the music I listen to that leads me to like a bigger bass sound. Maybe it is not possible to get that big bass sound and have it nicely integrated into the overall soundscape.

Will wait until the dealer gets the S-sub hooked up and will let everyone know how it sounds, including in comparison to the a S7s (deal doesn't have the 5s).

This is all a hell of a lot of fun!

Unfortunately not really. There is a big price to pay for the extra oomph you get form a port, smearing, resolution and extension, it gets old really fast. You need to readjust your propriety a bit , it will be worth it. Once you get accustom to the Magico bass, you would not be able to go back, nor would you remember what you were hearing before that you liked on these ported design.

Interesting comment. Thanks.

I don't hear worlds between these speakers. Yes the S3 mk2s are better overall. They are flawless. Appreciably better, but IMHO it is not apples and oranges. I keep banging on about it but the bass isn't as big - you can't feel it. It is more precise however. Maybe it is the music I listen to that leads me to like a bigger bass sound. Maybe it is not possible to get that big bass sound and have it nicely integrated into the overall soundscape.

Will wait until the dealer gets the S-sub hooked up and will let everyone know how it sounds, including in comparison to the a S7s (deal doesn't have the 5s).

And it should be Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60.

The S7 should be able to do more bass. But if you are in the market for some strong bass punching you in the gut I would try the Dali Epicon 8 in the price range of the Dyns and maybe Wilson Sashas in the S3 mk2 range.

But as has been stated by others, with the ports you lose definition.

Wow -- that is quite a sweeping statement! Have you personally auditioned every speaker Dynaudio has ever made? I suspect you have not even heard the Contour 60 (let alone the flagship of the Confidence series and the Consequence speakers) . If we decided one speaker was superior to the other based upon just specs & measurements, I guess we can just read a magazine's measurements and make our speaker buying choice. Regarding choice of driver material, what about speakers that still use paper drivers? A significant proportion of people think that they sound the most natural. I am not bashing Magico -- I am sure that the S3 is a wonderful speaker; but to trash an entire well respected brand like Dynaudio is ridiculous.

Anshul

https://stereo-magazine.com/flipview...gazine-2017-8/
    vs
    https://stereo-magazine.com/flipview...gazine-2016-5/

Hi AJR,

Are the S3 Mk2 fully broken in? Apparently it takes hundreds of hours before you get the full impact of the bass. I've auditioned the S7 and they deliver very robust bass that you feel to your core. If the S7's bass is insufficient, there is a pill you can take for that.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I also found the sub for your visceral bass (a bit tongue in cheek, I hope you don't mind), it was introduced at the Munich High End show this year...

...the Ascendo 50" sub Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60.

Another sweeping statement. There are plenty of very well designed superb sounding speakers that have ported bass -- I own 2 of them -- Vienna Acoustics The Music and Sonus Faber Stradivari. In my system, there is no smearing or loss of resolution.

Yes it is!!!!!

Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi AJR,

Are the S3 Mk2 fully broken in? Apparently it takes hundreds of hours before you get the full impact of the bass. I've auditioned the S7 and they deliver very robust bass that you feel to your core. If the S7's bass is insufficient, there is a pill you can take for that.

Best,
    Ken

haha! I live in Singapore so can't even joke about that! The S3 mk2s I tested only had 100 hours on the clock.

The S7s are beyond my price point unfortunately. But am going to give them a whirl just to see. If they give me what I want then will try to get hold of some S5s to test (dealer doesn't have them).

The S3 mk2s I tested only had 100 hours on the clock.
    Based on what I have heard from other mk2 owners who have more hours on their speakers they need 400-500 to be fully broken in.

I for my part turned my REL sub off until they are broken in.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team