Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I also found the sub for your visceral bass (a bit tongue in cheek, I hope you don't mind), it was introduced at the Munich High End show this year...

...the Ascendo 50" sub Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ������

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    ������
    am still chuckling over that

Banned

Are you comparing the speakers at normal listening volumes or are you turning them up a little more for your auditions?

If you have the same cone area and the same number of drivers , the vented cabinet will have more dynamic impact in the bass, typically 6 db more output at tuned frequency. A sealed enclosure will have to have 4 times the woofers to have the same gain.

This dynamic Impact is what is felt as well as heard, there is no way for a sealed enclosure to have the same output power all things else remaining equal . The OP preference is heavy bass electronic music , this is a no brainier , but I'm sure the Sealed "it's not limp but clean Bass advocates" defying science will set this straight ....

Regards ..

I read that review. I agree that technically the S3 mk2 wins, and that its bass goes deeper than the Dynaudios. But what it does not give is a visceral bass feeling. Its bass sound is no doubt technically better, but I quite like to physically feel the bass. What I am trying to work out is if it is possible to get the best of both worlds. Can I get the taut, articulated and deep S3 mk2 bass sound but so that I feel it (as opposed to just hearing it).

This is the typical strawman argument when discussing low end response, technically speaking only the -3db down point in relation to 1K is of importance, Why..? for the low end response to be sensed and heard it will have to be flat, rising or have a -3db point at 20Hz for you to sense and feel this difference, falling less than the other guy into subsonic territory is a Meh at best ..

doubt it ... !

Listen for yourself , level match and see. I'm with Jim, most bass reflex or bass issues on a whole from speakers that are well designed, is usually from a poor setup and room localization ..

Regards ...

AJR, if you want more visceral (as opposed to accurate) bass without a sub, you really should hear Wilson Yvettes and Sasha 2s. Although at 100 hours (?), not sure you've heard what the S3 Mk IIs can really do.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    AJR, if you want more visceral (as opposed to accurate) bass without a sub, you really should hear Wilson Yvettes and Sasha 2s. Although at 100 hours (?), not sure you've heard what the S3 Mk IIs can really do.
    I agree!
    Buddy

Boulder 1160 Amp, 1110 Pre-Amp
    Audio Research Ref. 3 Phono-Pre
    Vivid Audio Giya G2S2 Speakers
    MSB Reference DAC
    Innuos Statement w/Next. Gen. PS
    B & W DB1D Subwoofer X2
    Audioquest Niagara 5000 Power Conditioner
    Kronos Pro Turntable w/Kronoscope RS tonearm + SCPS-1 PS + MSL Platinum Cart.
    VPI HW-40 Turntable w/ Lyra Etna cartridge
    Jay's Audio CDT3-MK3 CD Transport
    Schiit Mjolnir 2 HPA + Audeze LCD X headphones
    Adona Equipment Rack and Amp Stands
    Furutech Outlets and Plates + NCF Booster
    Shunyata Cables
    Synergistic Research Galileo SX Ground Block, FEQ 4, Ethernet Switch UEF, Black Box + Room Acoustic treatments

I've heard a lot of Dyn's and owned a set of older Contour. Trust me when 50 hours isn't even beginning to break them in, unless they've done something different on the new series. All the Dyn's I've experienced have taken a very long time to break in, even some Audience series I've had. On mine the highs definitely smooth out but the bass actually became fuller, the woofers were very tight. The rear ports need to be a good way from a rear wall, this takes experimenting to get right. Dyn also provides port plugs with all their speakers for a closer placement situation. Dynaudio also has a Pro side that does well. They also build their own drivers and pretty much everything else in their speakers themselves. You might find I interesting to isten to the 60's down the road if the dealer has the same pair.

The lack of distortion in the Magico makes sense, accounting for the ease of listening I heard.

I only heard TAD speakers once, and, with TAD electronics, I remember thinking the sound was similar to Magico. I have no idea the price range but could be worth a listen.

Not that they sound similar to what you are listening to bt you might like the sound of ATC.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by apdoc2004 View Post
    Another sweeping statement. There are plenty of very well designed superb sounding speakers that have ported bass -- I own 2 of them -- Vienna Acoustics The Music and Sonus Faber Stradivari. In my system, there is no smearing or loss of resolution.
    I'd add the Marten Coltrane series to that list. Kudos to Leif Oloffson for producing such well sorted ported speakers. Even the Mingus Quintet sounds tight and dynamic, though not quite to the level of the Coltrane series.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
    I agree!

I hope not to the inaccurate bass part ....

Poor choice of words. "Less emphasized" probably would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Poor choice of words. "Less emphasized" probably would have been better.
    Don’t let Wayne intimidate you, you picked the perfect words. How exactly a ported design can be “accurate” if it has a “6 db more output at (a) tuned frequency” (on that we agree, btw)? When Wayne solves this conundrum, and build such a speaker, one that is both accurate, but also is boosted at some frqs, he should let us know

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    Are you comparing the speakers at normal listening volumes or are you turning them up a little more for your auditions?
    A bit of both. I do tend to listen to my music at fairly loud volumes and it was at the louder volumes where the Dyaudio bass feel that I liked kicked in. My Magico dealer unfortunately does not have any S5 mk2s to test but does have some S7s. So my plan is to listen to the S7s and draw some conclusions about how the S5s are likely to sound based on that.

Thanks everyone for your suggested alternatives. Re: the Wilsons, I do struggle with the aesthetic (I much prefer the look of the Magicos) but will try the Sasha 2s, the Yvettes and also the Sabrinas. YG Acoustics and Genesis also look interesting.

AJR

Quote Originally Posted by LVB View Post
    Don’t let Wayne intimidate you, you picked the perfect words. How exactly a ported design can be “accurate” if it has a “6 db more output at (a) tuned frequency” (on that we agree, btw)? When Wayne solves this conundrum, and build such a speaker, one that is both accurate, but also is boosted at some frqs, he should let us know
    Maybe he choose to be respectful and BTW been there done that and sold that hog ........

You can have your own opinion , not your own science, dont confuse the two, what you prefer is not science and the 6 db gain is not a negative, in order to have the same output sealed will require multiple woofers to match , sealed will also have more distortion and if the vented cabinet is done correctly with a similar woofer array , there is no comparison, it's a win, win, over sealed , regardless of how you roll the science.

Designers will choose either or based on their design requirements and goals..

The real issues with vented vs Sealed is the difficulty , sealed is a no brain operation, vented requires the ability to apply the science, for size, efficiency , sensitivity and room application/interference, the easy way out is usually sealed, but what you end up with is a speaker with less jump and life , you say smooth , to others it lacks the jump and punch of live music .

Now we are here , with another queasy about the sealed Magico bass, so what , it's his ears and choice , no different than one preferring Magico bass ..

Why deride the choice .... ?

Magico's are well built and designed loudspeakers , I'm respectful of Alon's work and after hearing the S3 Mk2 i told Mike at that price point it's a winner , it's a good ( cant say the same for the MK1, it was lame to me ) speaker , good company , the work to make those cabinets is unimaginable, not to mention the effort.

Is anything Magico SOTA , not even close IMO, very difficult to get a single point source single pr of direct radiating box speaker to do SOTA level Audio, well none I have heard, so please get off this high horse , its a bit tiring hearing this constant doo doo about distortion less bass and one not use to clean Magico bass , yaddy , yada ...

There are others doing good work ...

Regards ....

A bit of both. I do tend to listen to my music at fairly loud volumes and it was at the louder volumes where the Dyaudio bass feel that I liked kicked in. My Magico dealer unfortunately does not have any S5 mk2s to test but does have some S7s. So my plan is to listen to the S7s and draw some conclusions about how the S5s are likely to sound based on that.

Thanks everyone for your suggested alternatives. Re: the Wilsons, I do struggle with the aesthetic (I much prefer the look of the Magicos) but will try the Sasha 2s, the Yvettes and also the Sabrinas. YG Acoustics and Genesis also look interesting.

AJR

Heard good things about YG, never heard them thou .....

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    There are others doing the work too ....

Regards ...
    Like I said, keep us posted ...

Is anything Magico SOTA , not even close IMO
    Says who? Some fancy pants no-one has ever heard of and who is right now just a bit full of himself?

With all due respect, you do not operate even close to a level to be capable of assessing that.

“Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Says who? Some fancy pants no-one has ever heard of and who is right now just a bit full of himself?

With all due respect, you do not operate even close to a level to be capable of assessing that.

Captn Irony,

you know this how? ..

Care to enlighten me ! Which direct radiating Magico model is at SOTA level and in case you missed it , Alon's super bigfoot ( SOTA attempt) have Horns.

Coincidence ...?

PS: IMO, i know , i know , hard for you to get that .......

Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60

Keep the words coming dear friend. If you would be anything than just a self-declared Master of the Universe you would have enough self-respect not to be bitching about colleagues in open fora - and you would have something else to show for than arrogance and big words.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Keep the words coming dear friend. If you would be anything than just a self-declared Master of the Universe you would have enough self-respect not to be bitching about colleagues in open fora - and you would have something else to show for than arrogance and big words.

Who and which colleague did i bitch at ,

I gave my Opinion and stand by it , i dont consider any single pr point source direct radiating loudspeaker a SOTA attempt , none i have heard in 40 yrs of hi-fi has convinced me otherwise.

You can verify this by looking at what each and every "hi-end" designer produces as their SOTA attempt....

Who and which colleague did i bitch at ,

I gave my Opinion and stand by it , i dont consider any single pr point source direct radiating loudspeaker a SOTA attempt , none i have heard in 40 yrs of hi-fi has convinced me otherwise.

You can verify this by looking at what each and every "hi-end" designer produces as their SOTA attempt....
    Alon Wolf and Yair Tammam, stating their work is not SOTA. Even though I somehow suspect you cannot rise up to the claim to call yourself a colleague to real hi-end professionals.

Care to enlighten me how you think you would be able to judge? What are your references, what have you achieved in high end audio, what makes you think you would be able to judge?

Alon Wolf and Yair Tammam, stating their work is not SOTA.
    you dont say ......

Even though I somehow suspect you cannot rise up to the claim to call yourself a colleague to real hi-end professionals.
    Never said i was a colleague

Care to enlighten me how you think you would be able to judge?
    Two Ears, both in perfect working condition .....

1. What are your references ........
    2. what have you achieved in high end audio,
    3. what makes you think you would be able to judge?

1. Live music
    2. The pleasure of experiencing your Irony..
    3. I have the best wife in the world and she is currently watching so good judgement

Did i get in ..?

Regards ...

you dont say ......

Never said i was a colleague

Two Ears, both in perfect working condition .....

1. Live music
    2. The pleasure of experiencing your Irony..
    3. I have the best wife in the world and she is currently watching so good judgement

Regards ...
    Evading answers when haven't got any good ones? Now you totally convinced me.

So you indeed appear just to be a big mouth pretending to know and with very little to show.

?? LOL ??

Personal attacks must be your forte, try discussing the topic, have anything to add to the discussion or more attacks and Irony ...?

Regards ...

Personal attacks must be your forte, try discussing the topic, have anything to add to the discussion or more attacks and Irony ...?

Regards ...
    I am happy to reiterate: why do you think Magico products are not SOTA and why do you think you would be able to judge while not having any experience in the industry?

Asking for clarification about your statements is typically not considered a personal attack, unless of course the person making claims is not able to substantiate them.

I am actually not too particular about what you respond, you have already proven the point: you appear are not to be able to really argument your case.

Perhaps you two would prefer to take your disagreements to a more appropriate (i.e.private) forum? Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Digital: LH Labs Source (someday...) + LH Labs Geek Pulse SFi
    Analogue: Audio Technica OC9ML/ii + Technics 1200SL + Nikko Beta 40 (phono only)
    Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE
    First Watt F6
    Focal 816VW Special Edition

And I thought 5 year olds weren't on the internet.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    And I thought 5 year olds weren't on the internet.
    Seems I turned my back for 8 hrs only to return to another school yard dust up . Fighting over Jessica Alba, sure, but loudspeakers?

Nothing against Jessica Alba...Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60.

..so please get off this high horse , its a bit tiring hearing this constant doo doo about distortion less bass and one not use to clean Magico bass , yaddy , yada ...
    a.wayne, whilst I respect your technical understanding, no one is forcing you to post in the Magico forum. Have you considered participants in this forum might be tired of reading your meh comments?

To bring the discussion back to the original subject , I gave the S3 mk2s an extended listen today and after that listened to the Dynaudio Contour 60s again. The previous listens were the other way around. I am now fully converted to the sealed box sound and in particular the amazing coherency of the S3s. I found that the bottom end on the Dynaudios was in fact too big and overly prominent for me when comparing against the S3s. So I have done a full 180! I still plan to listen to the Wilsons and the Genesis G5s but the S3s are the clear benchmark for me now. I also think that I could get even better sound from the S3s if I upgraded my Devialet expert pro 220 (a medium-term possibility). The Soulution gear I tried seemed to produce a richer/fuller sound compared to my Devialet.

AJR

To bring the discussion back to the original subject , I gave the S3 mk2s an extended listen today and after that listened to the Dynaudio Contour 60s again. The previous listens were the other way around. I am now fully converted to the sealed box sound and in particular the amazing coherency of the S3s. I found that the bottom end on the Dynaudios was in fact too big and overly prominent for me when comparing against the S3s. So I have done a full 180! I still plan to listen to the Wilsons and the Genesis G5s but the S3s are the clear benchmark for me now. I also think that I could get even better sound from the S3s if I upgraded my Devialet expert pro 220 (a medium-term possibility). The Soulution gear I tried seemed to produce a richer/fuller sound compared to my Devialet.

AJR
    AJR, happy to hear you were able to take the time to audition different alternatives in a bit more detail. For me the purpose of responding to the thread has been to support you on your journey.

While I'm of course pleased to hear that the S3 mk2s are your current favorite, I would still encourage you to audition the Wilsons and other alternatives as well. I am not the kind of Magico owner who thinks everything else is not good and should be totally disregarded. It's just that in my room, with my equipment and for the music I enjoy they do a fantastic job. I am hearing the same things you are referring to, great detail and clarity in the bass, very good coherence and detailed yet not sharp highs.

Also, as you refer to electronics, it definitely makes sense to think about the entire chain when buying your transducers. When I bought my first Magicos (S1 mk1) I was auditioning them with a Dartzeel CTH-8550 against WA Sophia 3s. Latter was actually the combo with the better synergy, as the Sophias were a lighter load for the amp. At the end I nevertheless concluded I preferred the S1s with a punchier amp.

I gave the S3 mk2s an extended listen today and after that listened to the Dynaudio Contour 60s again. The previous listens were the other way around. I am now fully converted to the sealed box sound and in particular the amazing coherency of the S3s.
    You realise Kuoppis just had an orgasm?!

AJR, I think I'm as big of a bass head as you are. I have Magico S3 mk1 with JL F113v2 sub (I know S-sub is better but you will be surprised how much JL sealed design integrate well with S3s sealed bass). I too was in your position about 4 years ago flipping speakers left and right, from dynaudio, Focal, paradigm, Totem, etc., looking for that electronic bass. Once I got S3s set up in my room, I knew I found it. Magico sealed bass is the answer. I could also never be able to integrate sub well in my room with other speakers until the S3s.

One other thing is, as good as devialet is I don't see many people using it long term with Magico speakers. IME only with the class A amp and Siltech cabling (both power and signal) the total sound becomes musical, grain free and gives me hours after hours of fatigue free listening. I do have Ayre KX-R pre and I'd like to think it also plays a big part. With the new diamond coated tweeter on S3mk2, you might be less sensitive to amp and cable pairing, but nonetheless careful system matching is needed for any Magico speakers. Once it clicks, you just want more Magico speakers and nothing else (Kuoppis can attest to that).
    Anyway, just thought I share my experience in this topic.

I did have a long audition session with Yvette and thought they were very enjoyable (Sabrina not so much). I didn't get to play bass heavy music then, so I'm not sure about electronic music. But from what I heard, the ported bass signature is there that are shared by many manufacturers.

Good luck. Regardless of what you end up choosing the speakers on the list are all world class and I'm confident you will be happy with it.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    AJR, I think I'm as big of a bass head as you are. I have Magico S3 mk1 with JL F113v2 sub (I know S-sub is better but you will be surprised how much JL sealed design integrate well with S3s sealed bass). I too was in your position about 4 years ago flipping speakers left and right, from dynaudio, Focal, paradigm, Totem, etc., looking for that electronic bass. Once I got S3s set up in my room, I knew I found it. Magico sealed bass is the answer. I could also never be able to integrate sub well in my room with other speakers until the S3s.

One other thing is, as good as devialet is I don't see many people using it long term with Magico speakers. IME only with the class A amp and Siltech cabling (both power and signal) the total sound becomes musical, grain free and gives me hours after hours of fatigue free listening. I do have Ayre KX-R pre and I'd like to think it also plays a big part. With the new diamond coated tweeter on S3mk2, you might be less sensitive to amp and cable pairing, but nonetheless careful system matching is needed for any Magico speakers. Once it clicks, you just want more Magico speakers and nothing else (Kuoppis can attest to that).
    Anyway, just thought I share my experience in this topic.

I did have a long audition session with Yvette and thought they were very enjoyable (Sabrina not so much). I didn't get to play bass heavy music then, so I'm not sure about electronic music. But from what I heard, the ported bass signature is there that are shared by many manufacturers.

Good luck. Regardless of what you end up choosing the speakers on the list are all world class and I'm confident you will be happy with it.
    A terrific post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I also listened to the S7s. Holy crap. Amazing. Point was to use as a reference to guess what the S5 mk2s would sound like (dealer doesn't have them). No clear conclusions. I do wonder (further to my earlier post re: S3 mk2s plus S-sub v S5 mk2s, and also further to kzhtoo's and Mike's comments) whether adding a sub would then complete the S3s. Putting aside a potential electronics upgrade! The dealer thought that the former would bring me closer to the S7s than the S5s. Anyway, is just a side thought about future upgrade potential if I ended up choosing the S3s. My current feeling is that the S3s have enough bass for my room.

Sounds like AJR is about to take a ride on the merry-go-round. LOL

That's alright, sometimes it takes a couple spins to get us where we want to be. Sometime back it was a speaker change that did it to me. And, now, I don't even have those speakers any more

Anyone think Jessica could stand to gain a couple pounds?

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Quote Originally Posted by Melbguy1 View Post
    a.wayne, whilst I respect your technical understanding, no one is forcing you to post in the Magico forum. Have you considered participants in this forum might be tired of reading your meh comments?
    I understand the Magico owners / fans being proud about the company but that does not give people the right to insult when a differing opinion from "superb" is expressed. You have to realise, however incredible that might seem to you and other owners,to many (I cannot say since I haven´t listened to them) Magico speakers are not exactly their cup of tea. This thread was about Dynaudio & Magico, so I suppose the OP will have welcomed all kinds of experiences.

There´s sometimes a certain level of hostility and belittling in the Magico forum towards anything non Magico related that is a bit unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Narayan View Post

There´s sometimes a certain level of hostility and belittling in the Magico forum towards anything non Magico related that is a bit unpleasant.
    Passive-aggressive,condescending comments, like the one A.Wayne like to sprinkle around, are plenty unpleasant. You can have an opinion, but you better came out clean on it and not pollute the thread with obnoxious one liners. Apparently A. Wayne is a horn/PA DIY kind of guy, if he would have disclose his preferences right up front, tone down the smirk a bit, this conversation would have looked much different.

Since we are apparently now in the $30k territory you might as well try and get a listen to the Vandersteen 5A Carbon. Available in whatever color you specify and fully adjustable bass tailored to your room.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Also, since in $30k, just curious if the dealer had any other Dynaudio like Confidence or Evidence? Of course, most in that line would be imposing in your room, just wondered how you liked those. The C1 is a nice stand mount, less money than the Contour 60, it would be interesting though to hear a comparison with the Magico. Not that the C1 would come close to being better, the balance may be closer though as a stand mount.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

A friend of mine used to have the Dunaudio Master Temptation ($40k?) and now has the Consequence Limited Edition ($70k?).

I can only say I much prefered my S5 mk2 on every single aspect of sound quality.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

@AJR:. What electronic music do you listen to? I like similar music to you from what you said in an earlier post.

Sent from my Swift 2 Plus using Tapatalk
    Boenicke Audio W11 Speakers with SwingBase; MFA Baby Reference V2 Passive Preamp; Lumin T2; Nord One SE UP NC500DM Stereo; SRM Arezzo Turntable; Ortofon 2M Blue; Michael Fidler MM Pro; 2 x REL S/510; Van Damme Blue series/Mark Grant

ATMOS/DTS X 5.1.4: Sony VPL-VW290ES; 103" Screen Excellence Enlightor Neo; Arcam AVR390; Nakamichi AVP1; Sony UBP-X800M2; XTZ Cinema Series: M6, S5, S2; XTZ 12.17 Sub

Yeah, what I should have expected on a "Magico" forum, LOL

Some of the newer lines of Dynaudio are a bit easier but typically they require an amp with ample current to sound the way they were intended. The best I've heard Dyn sound was when our dealer used to carry Krell.

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    A friend of mine used to have the Dunaudio Master Temptation ($40k?) and now has the Consequence Limited Edition ($70k?).

I can only say I much prefered my S5 mk2 on every single aspect of sound quality.

SVS PC13 Ultra
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Yeah, what I should have expected on a "Magico" forum, LOL
    I don't think that's a fair comment. I try very hard to keep things balanced and I'm the first to congratulate new Wilson owners. We have a lot of Magico owners, but we have loads of Wilson, Rockport, etc. owners too. Magico and Wilson owners are passionate about the science, technology and engineering involved in their speakers and the world class companies behind them. If others prefer speakers like BBC monitor types out there, then all the power to them.

As for DynAudio, they have failed to innovate (as far as new two channel top end speakers are concerned) over the past 5-10 years and their US Distribution has been in complete disarray. They didn't know if they were supposed to be selling DynAudio for the German parent company or distributing for T+A and Octave for their friends in Germany. It was embarrassing walking around their room at Munich. Their staff were busy talking about anything but audio and they had NOTHING to show as far as two channel high end was concerned. Are they making a transition to CI and car audio? Don't know...maybe they are already.

At the outset, I found it odd to even consider DynAudio in the same breath as Magico. Wilson? Sure. Rockport? Sure. Gryphon? Sure. Gauder, Vivid, Estelon, Marten, Kharma, etc. are all others worth looking more than DynAudio IMO.

Back to the OP, I hooked up the S5 mk2's to the Bryston 28B3's with the VAC preamp and they came to life. Give them 1800 watts and look out! Bass galore!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

I also listened to the S7s. Holy crap. Amazing. Point was to use as a reference to guess what the S5 mk2s would sound like (dealer doesn't have them). No clear conclusions. I do wonder (further to my earlier post re: S3 mk2s plus S-sub v S5 mk2s, and also further to kzhtoo's and Mike's comments) whether adding a sub would then complete the S3s. Putting aside a potential electronics upgrade! The dealer thought that the former would bring me closer to the S7s than the S5s. Anyway, is just a side thought about future upgrade potential if I ended up choosing the S3s. My current feeling is that the S3s have enough bass for my room.
    Go with S5 mk2, then add S-sub down the road. Also, do note that adding sub is not only for the extension but you are also enhancing the soundstage, mid-range clarity.

Quote Originally Posted by kzhtoo View Post
    Go with S5 mk2, then add S-sub down the road. Also, do note that adding sub is not only for the extension but you are also enhancing the soundstage, mid-range clarity.
    The S5 Mk2 is a strong contender based on the OP's budget, though if I'm following things correctly he has a few more auditions in the pipeline.

As for S Sub, I would prioritize working on the room, speaker placement & upgrading amplification as Mike noted before assessing if subs are needed. My friend who owns a $500k system & owns S7's was previously using WB Torus subs. However after some expert help with speaker placement, he a-b compared his S7's with/without subs & now proffered them w/out subs. Would the S Sub sound better? Perhaps. But just sayin'.

Audioshark

David - is there a Bryston dealer near you? You have to hear the 28's on the S5's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    David - is there a Bryston dealer near you? You have to hear the 28's on the S5's.
    Ah probably, though my own Dealer doesn't carry that line. How do they compare to the Pass & Vitus mono's in the same price territory? At this stage, my next amp will be the Vitus SIA-030 when it eventually lands. But it would be fun to hear the 28B's sing. Might have to swing an audition if I can find the time.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Melbguy1 View Post
    Ah probably, though my own Dealer doesn't carry that line. How do they compare to the Pass & Vitus mono's in the same price territory? At this stage, my next amp will be the Vitus SIA-030 when it eventually arrives. But it would be fun to hear them sing. Might swing an audition if I can find the time.
    The Vitus monos I heard at Munich and they were singing sweetly. The Pass is 1/5 the price here and has a sweet, full, ballsy sound. Both are excellent. I just found that the more power I give the S5 mk2's, the better they perform. I think Bud might be on to something with his big Pass monos. The Bryston's with a proper preamp (sweet tube) is "holy crap" good! The speakers come to life. I hope you can try an amp with some major power. You will be shocked.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team