Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60

Quote Originally Posted by AJR View Post
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts! Hope you have as much fun testing as I did.

A word to the wise: I tested the C60s and S3 mk2s numerous times and in that order (and on separate dealer’s systems, which is not ideal of course hence the importance of testing at home with your amp, other gear and room acoustics). After listening to the C60s first then shortly after the Magicos, my first reaction was always ‘where is the visceral bass feeling’ with the Magicos (I am a bass-head so bass is always what jumps out at me first). The Magicos would go deeper and were more precise but I wouldn’t ‘feel’ it like I did with the C60s. I then reversed testing order, would love the bass in the Magicos, and then when I listened to the C60s my immediate reaction was that the bass was a bit ‘flabby’ and too dominant. Once I got over that hump, I then realised that the Magicos had more detail in the mid and high ranges and generally produced a more unified, coherent soundscape. And with ‘better’ bass. So a full 180.

Having listened to them for many hundreds of hours now, particularly now paired with the Diablo, I can say that the bass produced by the S3 mk2s is awesome. Deep, rich, precise and also (when cranked up) visceral.

I have also been toying with the idea of an S-Sub. Not because I feel the S3s lack bass, but to see what the overall sonic improvements will be. That is a project for later this year...
    Great post AJR. The C60’s do great bass, and probably more of it, but what I also like about the S3 mk2 is that bass is just as detailed as mids and highs.

I am using a REL 5 SHO with mine, and the bass kicks me in the guts when I crank it up even a little.

Of course, for good bass you do need a great amp Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Re: Magico S3 mk2 vs Dynaudio Contour 60

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Although I listen mostly to large scale classical and jazz, I came to a similar conclusion regarding the Magico bass after listening at length to Aerial 7Ts, Wilson Sophia 3s, and B&W 802-D3s. If you're not familiar with the Magico bass, IMO it's something of an acquired taste, as AJR describes. Once you've got it, hard to go back.
    IMO another advantage of Magico's sealed-box design is that they are less sensitive to room/placement issues to get good results.
    Can only second here, I think it is an acquired taste and you like it or you do not.

But when you get the hang of it for the bass being as precise as the other frequencies, you might start to enjoy it. A lot.

That said, while I am a Magico-head on my third pair by now, I think there are great speakers from other manufacturers as well. Heard recently Sonus Fabers with ARC, or years back WA Sophia 3 with Dartzeel and both were great.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Agree on other brands. I've owned Aerials and have admired Wilsons for years. Hearing Rockports, Vivids, and others would no doubt be interesting, but not many high end dealers nearby. Probably need to attend RMAF to broaden my horizons, although I must say, I tend to buy long term.

Agree on other brands. I've owned Aerials and have admired Wilsons for years. Hearing Rockports, Vivids, and others would no doubt be interesting, but not many high end dealers nearby. Probably need to attend RMAF to broaden my horizons, although I must say, I tend to buy long term.
    There’s an easier solution IMHO, just go visit Mike.

I think the line-up is the best I am aware of world-wide (been living on four continents), and you can listen in a controlled, acoustized environment with a selection of high class electronics for different tastes. I think the carries e.g. Vivid you mentioned.

The challenge with shows is that the acoustics ever gets mediocre at its best. Hotel rooms/ show floors have not been designed for an audiophile sound experience.

If I would live in the US, I would be there every other weekend.

True that.

I got to listen to a couple tunes through the contour 60's, unfortunately no piano, lost cause by Beck and a duet from 'the xx' and I have them on my short list. Having your cake and eating it too, I totally get it, not giving up the visceral feel of music for the details, spatial ques, etc. VA The music deserves an audition, I have the C60 on my list and am currently in home demoing the salon2's! Very time consuming when one has to purchase each pair to get them home and then resell to move on to the next on the list, but fun? Oh Yeah.

Super Moderator

Keep us posted. Love the studio2/salon2 speakers and I’m sure the Dynaudio are great too. Good luck.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

not to derail the thread but I am going through a similar possible system change. for some reason, i keep having this thought that a contour 60 driven by a soulution stack or even soulution integrated could be an awesome set up. the neutrality, grip, and gentle bloom of the soulution coupled with the laid back, full sounding, forgiving nature of the contours...hmmm. i don't know but it's possible the soulutions could help the dyns coax out some more detail.

anybody have experience with this set up? would love to hear some thoughts. if not...i might just have to try it for myself and report back

I ended up going for the Magico S3 mk2s over the Dynaudio C60s. The right decision I think.

But I do like Dynaudio. I am probably going to buy the Dynaudio Contour 20s for my holiday home. I think they are extraordinarily good value for money. And a very different sound to my Magicos. Happy to consider other suggestions.
    Digital: Innuos Zenith Mk3 Server + MSB Premier DAC with Powerbase
    Amp: Gryphon Pandora + Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo
    Speakers: Magico S3 MkII
    Cables: MIT SL-Matrix 36 XLR interconnect cables + 70 speaker cables; AQ Diamond & Vodka ethernet cables
    Power: AQ Niagara 5000 + AQ Tornado power cables
    Headphones (travel): Sennheiser Momentum + Chord Mojo

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    There’s an easier solution IMHO, just go visit Mike...
    We don't have that luxury in Australia, certainly not within 2000 miles of where I live. I have never auditioned anything I have bought. Coincident Pure Reference Extreme, Wilson Audio Sophia v3, Magico S3, Magico Q3, Magico M3. All bought sight unseen and unheard. Together with everything else. Easily in excess of $300K spent on unheard gear, speakers, electronics, whatever. I even bought my last two new cars without taking either for a test drive first. Not because I didn't want to: simply because it wasn't possible to do.

Quote Originally Posted by brodricj View Post
    We don't have that luxury in Australia, certainly not within 2000 miles of where I live. I have never auditioned anything I have bought. Coincident Pure Reference Extreme, Wilson Audio Sophia v3, Magico S3, Magico Q3, Magico M3. All bought sight unseen and unheard. Together with everything else. Easily in excess of $300K spent on unheard gear, speakers, electronics, whatever. I even bought my last two new cars without taking either for a test drive first. Not because I didn't want to: simply because it wasn't possible to do.
    That should make the Sharks forum a valuable source of input I guess.

Bold moves, but agree - being w/o the gear would not be a compelling option or traveling the cost of the gear to hear them first might not make too much sense either.

Rubbish! If you are talking about second hand, the answer remains the same too. Do you live in a remote area without power, roads or internet/phone?? seriously???

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    ...seriously???
    I live in the Capital city of a state more than 6 times larger than CA. And I'm talking new. When I bought my Kia 2016 New Sorento Platinum there was not a single one available at any dealership to test drive. True. Same applies for hi-end HiFi, but even worse. I couldn't even demo a Shunyata clock cable here, the nearest cable was 2000 miles away and I had to buy it if I wanted to try it.

I live in the Capital city of a state more than 6 times larger than CA. And I'm talking new. When I bought my Kia 2016 New Sorento Platinum there was not a single one available at any dealership to test drive. True. Same applies for hi-end HiFi, but even worse. I couldn't even demo a Shunyata clock cable here, the nearest cable was 2000 miles away and I had to buy it if I wanted to try it.

Fair enough, so what you are saying this qualifies when there aren't any in the country & you also refuse to fly somewhere for AUD$300 to hear a speaker well north of $50k that are actually in Australia for demo at times. Most dealers will refund your money within a time frame if you return the goods in the same condition minus freight scuff on the outside packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Fair enough, so what you are saying this qualifies when there aren't any in the country & you also refuse to fly somewhere for AUD$300 to hear a speaker well north of $50k that are actually in Australia for demo at times...
    There aren't any M3 for demo in the whole country. And you can't fly anywhere for $300 here.

And like I said before, I couldn't even take the KIA I wanted to buy for a test drive before I ordered one. If you want one you need to order and wait. And the car before that I owned was a Holden Sportwagon, and they are made in Australia! The dealer didn't have any of those to take for a test drive either. The first time I drove one is when I took delivery of mine and drove it out of the dealership. I would have been able to take a LandRover Discovery for a test drive, but when I went to do that the dealer took one look at me, turned their back, and basically said "we don't want your business". I guess, because I looked like a Holden driver. That's the way it is for a lot of things when you live in the most isolated Capital city in the world.

Only your own two ears can tell you which speaker to purchase. Don't be swayed by anyone on this website or thread. Your ears will not betray or mislead you. Take plenty of time listening to them.

Im curious as to why this comparison was ever made.

same list price
    KEF Blade, Mc-611's, C49 rega jupiter, roon nucleus, revox tuner. Meridian dsp8000 se upgrade, meridian 218 zone controller VA Beethoven's, Hegel h360.

I guess the Contour has tripled in price since I bought mine?

Quote Originally Posted by steve59 View Post
    same list price
    Not sure where you saw that... The Magico S3 mk2 ranges from $28K to $32K depending on finish and the Dynaudio Contour 60 is $10K.

Audioshark

I would like to give the Contour 60’s another listen. I heard the Contour 30’s at $7500 are terrific from another dealer.

With the A3’s now at $12,300, I’ve been left with a void of floorstanders below $10k. Not everyone wants a standmount. DynAudio is on the radar. Going to give them a serious listen next week in Germany.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I have now owned 3 magicos, including the S3’s. I find Magico quite difficult to pair to get sounding their best. The dynaudio’s are far more forgiving as long as you give them power. I havent heard the new Confidence line but I would expect something special there.

Welcome AJR.

I recently replaced a ported Aerial 10T with a Magico S3 Mk II after listening to Aerial 7Ts, Wilson Sophia 3s and Sashas, and B&W 802 and 803 D3s. My general impression is that the S3 Mk II's base goes lower and is more accurate but less prominent than the ported speakers mentioned. I think the Magico's are to die for, but my musical tastes run toward classical and jazz, so YMMV. I would call you room more medium sized than smallish and would think either speaker should have adequate breathing space.
    Hi,
    Aerial 10T/cc3 owner here. How do these modern speakers compare to the Aerial 10T? Your advice and experience is valued. Thanks in advance.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team