Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Lumin S-1 Golden Ear List

Just received the latest edition of TAS yesterday. The S-1 made the list of Golden Ear Components. Congratulations Lumin!

Mike

Amplification: MBL 6010D, MBL 9008A Monos
    Analog: Kuzma R, Kuzma 4Point (11”), MSL Ultra Eminent EX
    Phono Pre: Pass XP-27
    Digital: Esoteric N01XD Esoteric K05
    Speakers: MBL 101E MKII
    Subwoofers: REL Carbon Specials
    Conditioner: Shunyata Triton 3
    Power Cables: Shunyata Sigma 1 & 2, Alpha 2, Delta and Venom
    ICs and SCs: Wireworld Platinum 8
    Rack: Artesania Exoteryc

Re: Lumin S-1 Golden Ear List

From the TAS award blurb:

The S1 has four ESS Sabre 32 Reference DAC chips (16 DAC's per channel in parallel).

How do four Sabre chips translate into 16 DAC's per channel? I think that many DAC's per channel is up there with what the best DAC manufacturers such as MSB do with their flagship units. I would like to understand this because this is above my pay grade.

BTW, Mike allowed me to home demo the S1. I couldn't believe how good it sounded in my system! This was almost two years ago now. I ultimately decided to go with the Lumin U1 because I was afraid the DAC inside the S1 would become obsolete. Looks like my fears were misplaced.

Another curiosity about the Lumin, using the Lumin L1 storage device seemed to yield better sound quality than pulling music from my own NAS. Still scratching my head over that one.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post

The S1 has four ESS Sabre 32 Reference DAC chips (16 DAC's per channel in parallel).

How do four Sabre chips translate into 16 DAC's per channel?
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/lumin/3.html
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

How do four Sabre chips translate into 16 DAC's per channel? I think that many DAC's per channel is up there with what the best DAC manufacturers such as MSB do with their flagship units. I would like to understand this because this is above my pay grade.

BTW, Mike allowed me to home demo the S1. I couldn't believe how good it sounded in my system! This was almost two years ago now. I ultimately decided to go with the Lumin U1 because I was afraid the DAC inside the S1 would become obsolete. Looks like my fears were misplaced.

Another curiosity about the Lumin, using the Lumin L1 storage device seemed to yield better sound quality than pulling music from my own NAS. Still scratching my head over that one.
    Le Roy.......The Lumin S1 uses a total of four ESS ES9018 Sabre 32 Reference DACs, two per channel. Each ES9018 DAC chip is an eight channel DAC, so two of them per channel in the Lumin S1 allows for 16 DAC's per channel in parallel.

As for obsolescence, the ESS ES9018 DAC has remained at the top of the DAC chip food chain for many years, although recently ESS has introduced their newest DAC, the ES9038 Pro Sabre 32 Reference DAC. It is also an eight channel DAC with an incredible 140dB signal to noise ratio and an onboard reference 100Mhz Crystek oscillator which further reduces jitter. The ESS ES9038 Pro DAC is beginning to appear in some manufacturer's DAC's. Despite that fact, the ESS ES9018 DAC is a premium level performer that is widely used today by many high-end audio companies.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Has anyone compared the S1's analog out (using its own DAC) and passing the S!'s digital out to your DAC of choice?
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Has anyone compared the S1's analog out (using its own DAC) and passing the S!'s digital out to your DAC of choice?
    I have. I used a TaraLabs BNC cable and had a BNC to RCA adapter. If you're going this route, the Lumin U1 may make more sense.

Sonically, the S1 is balanced top to bottom. It has a slightly sweet sound, but overall very neutral and uncolored. If grew up in the CD/digital era or if you like the sound of CD's and high res digital files, buy this one.

The A1 meaty, full, rich sounding. Bass is not as tight as with S1. The A1 most reminds me of my R2R/TT. If you like the sound of R2R's and vinyl, but this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike
    Which of your Dac's did you connect to the S1 and how did it compare to the S1's own DAC? I understand that not everyone will come up with the same results.
    Jim

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Mike
    Which of your Dac's did you connect to the S1 and how did it compare to the S1's own DAC? I understand that not everyone will come up with the same results.
    The S1 is good, but to be honest, I think SS DAC's like the Berk REF2 MQA, Chord DAVE, Esoteric Grandioso K1 and PS Audio DS surpass it sonically. But you're talking much more expensive. Jim, I honestly think the Lumin U1 with Berk REF2 MQA would be to your liking. With the U1 you can run it as a Roon endpoint, it fully decodes MQA and with the Berk REF2 MQA, you get superb PCM and MQA reproduction.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Audioshark

Reflecting on this a little, I think the only way to make a leap above the S1 is the U1/BERK REF2 MQA combo. The others are different than the S1, but better?

Mike
    Thanks for your thoughts. I will read up more on that combo.
    Jim

For the chip comment on becoming obsolete, 1st, the same chip doesn't sound the same from different manufacturers. Other things contribute to the sound. Just because a company releases a new chip doesn't mean better sound. I have a friend that has an older Cary Xciter and it sounds wonderful.

2nd, I was also worried about the same thing before I took the plunge on the D1. Granted the subject is on a product that is higher end vs the d1 however, Lumin has eased my mind by adding higher dsd and MQA. I feel they are doing a great job of trying to make their products not obsolete before you can get some good use out of them.
    AMP/Preamp/Speakers: Kef LS50 Wireless, Lumin D1, Cayin scd50T sacd, Technics 1200 Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP Laptop, LH Labs VI Infinity, Cables: Wireworld Eclipse & Silver IC, Platinum USB. W4S recovery.

Audioshark

Jim - if you want a one box solution, you can't go wrong with the S1. It has "statement" sound. I prefer the A1, but I prefer more analog sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Reflecting on this a little, I think the only way to make a leap above the S1 is the U1/BERK REF2 MQA combo. The others are different than the S1, but better?
    That would be quite a price difference, at least for me, since the cost of the additional power cord and digital IC would be another $5K or so. Add $20K for the DAC, which requires an external PC to do DSD, and you have quite a handful. Being a cheap SOB, I will stay with the S1.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Jim - if you want a one box solution, you can't go wrong with the S1. It has "statement" sound. I prefer the A1, but I prefer more analog sounds.

I think you mentioned those differences when I stopped in February.
    Jim

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    That would be quite a price difference, at least for me, since the cost of the additional power cord and digital IC would be another $5K or so. Add $20K for the DAC, which requires an external PC to do DSD, and you have quite a handful. Being a cheap SOB, I will stay with the S1.
    You're not suffering! Lumin S-1 Golden Ear List

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Add $20K for the DAC, which requires an external PC to do DSD
    In a Lumin U1 + Berkeley REF2 setup, Lumin U1 is able to convert DSD to PCM 176.4kHz for AES output to REF2.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

That is great. Just the idea of needing a PC for DSD with the Berkeley grated me the wrong way when this DAC came out.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Even though L1 was first and foremost a device that is simple to use without the complexity of NAS, there is improved SQ from L1 due to:
    - Fanless
    - Dedicated hardware with low electrical noise (that traverses from NAS to player that affects the analog circuit, but still Ethernet is much much better than USB in this respect)
    - Dedicated software without unnecessary processes not related to serving music (Audiophile Optimizer tries to achieve the same goal on Windows, which has hundreds of threads running), which in turn helps the above

The CPU in L1 is a newer and more efficient (i.e. lower power consumption and lower noise) version of the one used in an audiophile-grade NAS streamer that costs 7 times the price of L1.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

I've always felt the "secret" sauce in the Lumin S1 is its internal I2S connection between its internal U1 music server and DAC. This digital connection is superior in my opinion to most external digital connections between music server and DAC such as USB, S/PDIF and AES/EBU.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I love the L1. I don't understand it but it does sound better than anything else I've tried.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by the professor View Post
    I love the L1. I don't understand it but it does sound better than anything else I've tried.
    Hi Jock,

As soon as MQA core unfolding becomes available on both the Lumin U1 and the Aurender N10, I plan on auditioning them both with the Berkeley Ref2 DAC and purchasing my favorite. It is not going to be an easy decision. What made you decide on the Lumin U1?

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    As soon as MQA core unfolding becomes available on both the Lumin U1 and the Aurender N10, I plan on auditioning them both with the Berkeley Ref2 DAC
    Has Aurender said of any plan to add MQA Core decoding to N10?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Has Aurender said of any plan to add MQA Core decoding to N10?
    I read on another forum that they're currently testing it, but I haven't seen official confirmation from Aurender. Mike may know more about it...

Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Quote Originally Posted by Phil A View Post
    This page mentions MQA Core, but...
    http://support.aurender.com/mqa-playback.html
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    This page mentions MQA Core, but...
    http://support.aurender.com/mqa-playback.html
    "Aurender music servers do not perform MQA Core decoding, therefore they are unable to deliver the information necessary for an MQA Renderer to perform "the final unfold in its analog context" as described above."

I was using the A1 and S1 and have the music on L1s, and I really love the app. So getting the U1 was an easy decision. I didn't compare the sound directly with others. But it sounded great when I did listen to it so I didn't feel the need to do a big shootout.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Jock,

As soon as MQA core unfolding becomes available on both the Lumin U1 and the Aurender N10, I plan on auditioning them both with the Berkeley Ref2 DAC and purchasing my favorite. It is not going to be an easy decision. What made you decide on the Lumin U1?

Best,
    Ken
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ritmo View Post
    Just received the latest edition of TAS yesterday. The S-1 made the list of Golden Ear Components. Congratulations Lumin!
    http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...ds-neil-gader/

Lumin S1 network player

The Lumin A1 network player has been my go-to net player since I reviewed it in Issue 248. It did everything I wanted a digital component to do. It pulled audio files from external digital sources like my NAS; it could handle a multitude of formats including 32-bit/384kHz PCM/DXD, as well as standard DSD; and it offered Tidal support. Then Lumin dropped by with its flagship, the S1, and all bets were off. Although the S1 is virtually indistinguishable from the A1 on the outside, pop its hood and the damning evidence presents itself in the form of four ESS Sabre 32 Reference DAC chips (16 DACs per channel in parallel). Every part of the system was tuned to complement the new DACs, including a revised clocking system, an enhanced external dual-toroidal power supply, plus dual Lundahl LL7401 output transformers; the S1 also added DSD128 support. Sonically, it has a warmer, weightier, more open, airy sound (and that’s saying a lot next to the A1). Bass was well nigh pitch-perfect and rich in complex textures. Upper harmonics and decay characteristics were more naturally resolved, and perhaps most telling was the even more richly dimensional soundstage. The S1 draws the listener closer to the recorded event than ever before.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Lumin S-1 Golden Ear List