Power Switch Issue with amp
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

Power Switch Issue with amp

My VT50 sounds great, especially with the new Gold Lion KT88 tubes. Over the past couple days I have noticed that the power switch appears to be failing. When I turn it on the power comes on and then turns off when the switch is fully engaged. If I press the switch back just a tad it seems to come on and work fine. Therefore I think the switch might be failing.

Does anyone know what's involved in replacing the switch? Is it something I can do... I would hate to send it to ARC just to replace a power switch.
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery Amplifiers: Audio Research VT-50 | Goldmund Job 225
    Speakers/Headphones: KEF R700, Kube,
    M500 | Sennheiser HD800S | MrSpeakers Ether | Bryston BHA-1 | Ayres Pono
    Sources: Roon Headless Server & Roon Tablet Controller | Oppo BDP-105
    | McIntosh MR85 w/Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound
    Power: Furman Elite 15i | iFi iPower | PS Audio Noise Harvesters

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power Switch Issue with amp

Maybe you could call/contact ARC for a replacement part. I have to believe you can handle it yourself or find a local tech who's handy with a soldering iron to quickly swap it out.
    Joe

McIntosh MCLK12, McIntosh MC303, Job INTegrated, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Lumin U1. PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Joe,

I was thinking the same thing. I just dropped a line to ARC to get their take and see if I can get a switch from them. I have not looked closely at what would be involved, but I do not believe it would be that difficult.
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery Amplifiers: Audio Research VT-50 | Goldmund Job 225
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound

Post Thanks / Like

Randy

If it's the typical red rocker switch you can buy them from many parts supply houses like Parts Express or MCM or even Ebay. Usually soldered in but many times just clipped in. Should be an easy fix. I changed one on a Hafler amp years ago.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Marantz HD-CD1, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp and 250 amp, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Cables- Triode Wire Labs, Blue Circle PLC FX-2 with BC-62 PC, PI Audio Uberbuss

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Cullen Cable PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

Probably got to pull the bottom off and see if it is accessible from there...

Post Thanks / Like

Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon Dl-301 Mk II, Vista Audio Phono 2, Marantz HD-CD1, Lumin D1 w/Sbooster, PS Audio DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II, BHK Preamp and 250 amp, Nola KO's, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Cables- Triode Wire Labs, Blue Circle PLC FX-2 with BC-62 PC, PI Audio Uberbuss

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, W4S Recovery with iPower, Nuprime DAC-10, Nuprime ST-10, Spatial Audio Triode Master, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Cullen Cable PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled the bottom off. It is a switch with two connector posts and two wires soldered on. The only real concern is getting the correct size. It has those little pressure clips that hold the switch in place, two on each side.

One side benefit. The bottom and the top have the exact same metal plate. It appears as if the bottom has never been removed, and therefore I was able to exchange the two. So instead of the few scratches that were on the top of the amplifier, with a little cleanup from the feet rubber residue, it now looks to have a brand new top (which ARC wanted to charge $160 for).

8. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Randy

Try e-mailing Chris at Parts Connexion and see if they have service an ARC amp that uses that switch. They carry switches and he or the other techs may know which is the right one.

http://www.partsconnexion.com/contro...er_switch.html