DACs with texture - Page 4
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: DACs with texture

I've been running a Modwright Elyse for some time now and can't imagine a more enjoyable DAC to listen to. It responded very well to adding a strong pair of Amperex Bugle Boy tubes along with Mullard rectifier. I do wish it had an I2S interface so I could explore the full potential of some of the newer USB converters but I hear nothing wrong with what is built in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pweg View Post
    David - do u think the Boulder would be to my tastes? Anytime i have heard there amps they have been too fast and lean for me. Haven't heard their DAC though.
    According to my friend who owns a 2120 and 3060 power amp, the 2120 sounds resolving and quiet, but also liquid, tube-like & musical, which is quite unlike the Boulder of old. He is wrapped with it. Though the synergy between his 3060 & 2120 would be a factor.

That said, If cost was no object my first and second recommendations would be the Audio Note Dac 5 Signature & Soulution 760 which are both outstanding & musical. On more of a budget I second the Lampi GG balanced dac & Audio Note Dac 5 Special in tubed dacs, and Soultion 560 in ss if you're moving away from Vitus' house sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you compared GG and AN signature and Soulution?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbguy1 View Post
    According to my friend who owns a 2120 and 3060 power amp, the 2120 sounds resolving and quiet, but also liquid, tube-like & musical, which is quite unlike the Boulder of old. He is wrapped with it. Though the synergy between his 3060 & 2120 would be a factor.

That said, If cost was no object my first and second recommendations would be the Audio Note Dac 5 Signature & Soulution 760 which are both outstanding & musical. On more of a budget I second the Lampi GG balanced dac & Audio Note Dac 5 Special in tubed dacs, and Soultion 560 in ss if you're moving away from Vitus' house sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pweg View Post
    thx Caelin and Nikhil.

... also, which Total Dac? I just checked their website. There sure are a lot of models, covering a wide price point.
    http://www.totaldac.com/prices.htm - the price page best summarizes the range from TOTALDAC

Three excellent rooms at Munich had the 3 box D1 twelve DAC - Absolare, Marten and Engstrom.
    TOTALDAC deserves an audition if you are looking at a serious DAC.

Regards

W10 Transport + Roon 1.3 + HQPlayer | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Separates + Goldmund Job INT | Green Mountain Audio Eos HX

5. Likes cmarin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

David - great advice. I heard a Solution amp recently and really liked it so i might try that direction and see what happens.

can we even get AN uk over here?

Post Thanks / Like

Nikhil - i did notice the large number of Total Dac users at shows. Probably impossible to audition in OZ, but i did notice i can buy and send back if i dont like it

8. Thanks nonesup thanked for this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4