Standard Romulus or Signature?
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Post Thanks / Like

Standard Romulus or Signature?

Has anyone moved or upgraded to the Romulus Signature from the standard model? Beside the addition of DSD I am interested to know the improvement in sound quality overall of both the DAC and CD replay. I'm close to purchasing a Romulus but can't help thinking in the long run the Sig might be a better option. I'm not really interested in doing a DIY cap upgrade but may consider this at a later date if I go with the standard model.
    Speakers: Gershman Avant Garde, Evolution MicroMMOne, Zingali Overture 3s Preamp: Karan KAL Ref MkII Power Amp: Karan KAS180 MkII Integrated Amps: Karan i180 Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Sig TT: Oracle Delphi MkIII, SME V, Audio Note IO1 / Michel Gyro SE, Audio Note Arm1, Shelter 5000 DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Sig

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Standard Romulus or Signature?

Managed to get both on home demo and went for the Signature which was a significant enough jump in performance over the standard model as would be expected.
    Speakers: Gershman Avant Garde, Evolution MicroMMOne, Zingali Overture 3s Preamp: Karan KAL Ref MkII Power Amp: Karan KAS180 MkII Integrated Amps: Karan i180 Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Sig TT: Oracle Delphi MkIII, SME V, Audio Note IO1 / Michel Gyro SE, Audio Note Arm1, Shelter 5000 DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Sig

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by myrman View Post
    Managed to get both on home demo and went for the Signature which was a significant enough jump in performance over the standard model as would be expected.
    myrman.......Nothing beats an in home demo with your gear and speakers to determine which way to go. Glad to hear it worked out for you.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Never Connected PSU, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC452, MR85, Olive 04HD, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Post Thanks / Like

I previously owned the base Romulus model. It is a very natural sounding player with a nice musical 'flow'. It wasn't the absolute last word in resolution or bass slam, though it was a player I could easily live with (especially for the money). My only slight gripe was that it wouldn't read some rbcd's. From what I know of the Signature upgrade, Jim White uses better caps & resistors, and it has native DSD. If for no other reason than resale value, i'd go for the Sig upgrade in your shoes. Though in my shoes, I would spring for the Eclipse edition which would be a weapon.