Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Standard Romulus or Signature?

Has anyone moved or upgraded to the Romulus Signature from the standard model? Beside the addition of DSD I am interested to know the improvement in sound quality overall of both the DAC and CD replay. I'm close to purchasing a Romulus but can't help thinking in the long run the Sig might be a better option. I'm not really interested in doing a DIY cap upgrade but may consider this at a later date if I go with the standard model.
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

Re: Standard Romulus or Signature?

Managed to get both on home demo and went for the Signature which was a significant enough jump in performance over the standard model as would be expected.
    Preamp: Aesthetix Calypso Signature
    Power Amp: Aesthetix Atlas Signature
    DAC/CDP: Aesthetix Romulus Signature
    Phono: Aesthetix Rhea Signature
    TT: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2, Kuzma 4Point 11, Hana ML
    TW Acustic Raven One, Raven 10.5, Shelter 5000
    Speakers: Acapella High Violin MkIII

Quote Originally Posted by myrman View Post
    Managed to get both on home demo and went for the Signature which was a significant enough jump in performance over the standard model as would be expected.
    myrman.......Nothing beats an in home demo with your gear and speakers to determine which way to go. Glad to hear it worked out for you.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I previously owned the base Romulus model. It is a very natural sounding player with a nice musical 'flow'. It wasn't the absolute last word in resolution or bass slam, though it was a player I could easily live with (especially for the money). My only slight gripe was that it wouldn't read some rbcd's. From what I know of the Signature upgrade, Jim White uses better caps & resistors, and it has native DSD. If for no other reason than resale value, i'd go for the Sig upgrade in your shoes. Though in my shoes, I would spring for the Eclipse edition which would be a weapon.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Standard Romulus or Signature?