Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dream Amps

Re: Dream Amps

Just bought my dream amp: Doshi JHOR 180 monos.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

Nick's products compete nicely with any tube gear out there. Happy listening.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Nick's products compete nicely with any tube gear out there. Happy listening.
    Many thanks. I used to have a Graaf GM-100 OTL amp and missed that "tube amp magic", even though top rated ss amps come awfully close.
    Venture Audio Grand Ultimate in Macassar Ebony, Thrax Dionysos pre, Thrax Tres mono's, Magnus MA-300 w/ MA-500 power supply, Stealth digital RCA, Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver pc's, Prana Wire Cosmos sp. cables, LG 65" OLED, ModWright modified Oppo 103D(transport), Reference Line Stage power conditioner, SME 20-2w/ Graham 2.2 tonearm, Ortofon Windfeld, Canary Audio MC10, PranaWire Linebacker, Luxman D-08 cd/sacd/dac.

I hear you , when the tubes hit ....

Just finished a listening session with a pr of 3 way Folded horns driven by a 4 watt SET , fantastic !!! There was some limitation if you really push too much on high DR music , but the way this little amp placed the musicians and instruments right their in the room , was really good , loved the naturalness of it all and this on run of the mill digital ...

Regards

I think I have my dream amps: Kondo Kaguras.

That’s after a long circuit through Goldmund, Gryphon, Soulution, Vitus, Constellation and others...

Quote Originally Posted by Howiebrou View Post
    I think I have my dream amps: Kondo Kaguras.

That’s after a long circuit through Goldmund, Gryphon, Soulution, Vitus, Constellation and others...
    I have heard this particular pair, and they are outstanding!

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/tube-kondo-audionote-japan-kagura-mono-amps-cost-no-object-ref-2017-12-16-amplifiers

Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    I have had mine for about 8 months and couldn’t agree more!

I would love to hear them with your Raidho 5.1s!

Now that would be a real treat!

Tell us something about the rest of your system Howie.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Super Moderator

Great to see you again Howie.

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

20,000 watts and hand made in Italy, lol.

https://www.higherfi.com/amplifiers/pivetta-opera

Just kidding, I have know idea what my dream amp would be. Maybe some high end high power tube amps like Atma-sphere MA-3's or VTL MB-450. Of course I would want a refrigerated room to deal with the heat.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Hi Joe,

Good to finally get back into some Audio banter. Have just been too busy last few years!

Howie

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    Now that would be a real treat!

Tell us something about the rest of your system Howie.
    Sure.

Preamp; Kondo M1000MkII
    Power; Kondo Kagura
    Sources; Avid Acutus SP with SME V and Benz LP-S;
    Clearaudio Master Innovation with Thales Simplicity II and Ortofon Anna and Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
    Meridian Sooloos and CH Precision C1 Dac
    Speakers; Sonus Faber Aida

Sure.

Preamp; Kondo M1000MkII
    Power; Kondo Kagura
    Sources; Avid Acutus SP with SME V and Benz LP-S;
    Clearaudio Master Innovation with Thales Simplicity II and Ortofon Anna and Audio Research Ref 2 Phono
    Meridian Sooloos and CH Precision C1 Dac
    Speakers; Sonus Faber Aida
    Now that is a system... We demand pic's.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    Thank you for your kind words. Okay will try and take a few snaps later...

Super Moderator

You always had great taste Howie. Wonderful system.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    You always had great taste Howie. Wonderful system.
    Joe you are too kind...as usual...

Nice to see your amps Howie. That is one hell of an exciting ride you've been on to get where you are now. I would love to read a thread of you relating to the journey & your most memorable moments.... Not many get to live in that post code of hifi nirvana Howie.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkmouth View Post
    Nice to see your amps Howie. That is one hell of an exciting ride you've been on to get where you are now. I would love to read a thread of you relating to the journey & your most memorable moments.... Not many get to live in that post code of hifi nirvana Howie.
    Kev,

You have a very exciting system yourself! Always wanted to try the Torus with my Guarneris but never got around to it. Okay I'll need to plan that thread carefully!

Cheers

howie

Kev,

You have a very exciting system yourself! Always wanted to try the Torus with my Guarneris but never got around to it. Okay I'll need to plan that thread carefully!

Cheers

howie
    Howie, the Torus are good with anything. At the moment I am in a room with a floating floor so am in no hurry to use mine as the Mingus Quintet have some surprising bass & I think I might invite too much vibration. Very much look forward to your thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinJim View Post
    http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...l=1#post226140

Here you go!

Howie

Howie, the Torus are good with anything. At the moment I am in a room with a floating floor so am in no hurry to use mine as the Mingus Quintet have some surprising bass & I think I might invite too much vibration. Very much look forward to your thread.
    Kev,

Any photos of your set up? Would love to see some!

Howie

Kev,

Any photos of your set up? Would love to see some!

Howie
    Howie, for you, easy as... Marten Mingus Quintet

AudioNet Heisenberg
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Howie, for you, easy as... Marten Mingus Quintet
    WoW! TWO Toruses!

Great system you got there!

Howie

in keeping with the air tight dream amps of others on this thread, ATM-300

i have had my eye on this amp for quite a while... two issues that maybe others can comment on:

1) the volume controls allow this amp to be used as a single source integrated amp. anyone see any problems operating it that way or any problems putting a pre-amp in the system?

2) one review i read said the amp was a little noisy. not a single other review even came close to mentioning this. anyone having heard this amp hear noise?

Quote Originally Posted by mhanc View Post

i have had my eye on this amp for quite a while... two issues that maybe others can comment on:

1) the volume controls allow this amp to be used as a single source integrated amp. anyone see any problems operating it that way or any problems putting a pre-amp in the system?

2) one review i read said the amp was a little noisy. not a single other review even came close to mentioning this. anyone having heard this amp hear noise?
    No. Love the Airtight stuff. Never heard any issue with them being noisy. Having said that I have found with the Kondo or Audio Note UK Ongaku integrated amps they benefit greatly from having a preamp in teh system.

Howie

Quote Originally Posted by mhanc View Post

I have the anniversary edition paired with Avant-garde Uno XD’s and no noise issues I find it very quite. Very sweet and non fatigueing.
    I’ve always used a preamp in the system but will use the attenuation to adjust gain.

No. Love the Airtight stuff. Never heard any issue with them being noisy. Having said that I have found with the Kondo or Audio Note UK Ongaku integrated amps they benefit greatly from having a preamp in teh system.

Howie
    That's what ultimately steered me off the Jinro - at every show they had a preamp connected so I don't feel they will stand alone as an integrated. My Line Magnetic 219IA was vastly better when used as a power amp. I tried three pramps and all three were very different but all were better than the preamp section of the 219IA. Now the 219IA was very good as an integrated amp but when you start paying more premium dollars you probably want to go separates if you can. AirTight is pretty awesome too. Perhaps they make a dedicated power amp version of the amp - With the Jinro they now make a dedicated balanced power amp version which IMO is the way to go.

As for noise - it may have to do with the sensitivity of the speaker - a 110dB sensitive speaker may reveal noise that a 95-100dB speaker won't. Or it could just be that particular unit or that particular home has noise in the line. I once had a dimmer dial on the lights that caused problems in my old stereo. Oddly it was the SS amp that affected while the tube amp was dead quiet.

thanks for the atm-300 info! i would have been surprised if noise was a systemic issue w/ this amp.

there is just something about a quality hand-made, hand-wired amp that is really appealing on many levels. not to mention it can be serviced practically forever.

Cary 805AE monos for me thanks.

Solid state -Two-stage cascode driven lateral mosfet design, so much better than vertical mosfet and bipolar transistor amps.
    Tube - Parafeed or Ultra Parafeed topologies.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    Solid state -Two-stage cascode driven lateral mosfet design, so much better than vertical mosfet and bipolar transistor amps.
    Hey Wiz...want to give some actual examples...
    Especially how the eliminates MOSFET mist...
    And just tried to have a look at your Wizard Ultimate site...
    But got told to "bugger off" (note that's Aussie Slang for - you are not welcome)...

Quote Originally Posted by Rob181 View Post
    But got told to "bugger off" (note that's Aussie Slang for - you are not welcome)...
    Ultimate is a paysite, for members only.

Which mosfet amps has that mist...?

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    That's class A with constant damping factor and only low local feedback or nothing in the cascode driver stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob181 View Post

Mosfet mist is from running them too low on operating Bias , early MOSFET designers did this, Mosfet mist hasn't been an issue for at least 20 yrs TMK ......

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Mosfet mist is from running them too low on operating Bias , early MOSFET designers did this, Mosfet mist hasn't been an issue for at least 20 yrs TMK ......

Regards
    Correct, also the mosfet warmth was because of too low bias.
    On lateral mosfets designs today bias is set around 100-150mA.

Vertical mosfets aren't designed for audio, but switching.
    I don't like the sound of them, because they need very high bias they have thermal and hysteresis loop problems.
    I've seen many designs blow up are unstable because of this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Dream Amps