Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Super Moderator

New: Herron Audio VTSP-360 Vacuum Tube Stereo Preamplifier

Herron has a great reputation, this one looks like a winner.

http://www.herronaudio.com/360specs.html

Design Considerations

• Multifunction remote control
    • Volume level display (0 - 100)
    • Switchable absolute polarity
    • Two gain modes (High and Low)
    • Stereo/mono switch
    • Full-range balance control
    • Home theater bypass function
    • Mute control
    • Display brightness control
    • Low noise design
    • Two main outputs
    • One tape output
    • Tape out/in loop
    • Six inputs including tape
    • 100K input impedance
    • 1/2 inch thick brushed aluminum anodized face plate
    • High input-signal capacity without overload
    • Automatic muting at startup and shutdown
    • Gold plated, Teflon-insulated RCA connectors
    • Hand-picked components for accurate response
    • Reversing power line (AC) polarity switch
    • Each unit is hand crafted, burned-in, and given rigorous bench and listening tests

Specifications
    Frequency Response 1 Hz to beyond 100 kHz, 20 Hz to 20 kHz ±0.1 dB
    Output Impedance 100 ohms nominal at 1 kHz
    Input Impedance 100,000 Ohms
    Gain 14 dB in Hdb mode, 4 dB in Ldb mode
    Volume Control 100-position electronic stepped attenuator, maximum differential 0.1 dB channel to channel
    Distortion <0.01% THD + Noise @ 1 volt r.m.s. output
    Absolute Polarity Switchable
    Dimensions 17.6" wide x 4" high (including rubber feet) x 10.25" deep
    Warranty 3 years, parts and labor; tubes: 90 days
    U.S. Retail Price $6,550 U.S.D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joeinid; June 27, 2017 at 09:32 AM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Re: New: Herron Audio VTSP-360 Vacuum Tube Stereo Preamplifier

That's a nice piece, Joe. I have not seen Herron gear talked about in a long while.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

A friend of mine just picked up their VTPH-2A phono stage and likes it very much. Nice build quality and Keith Herron is a gentleman who's very nice to work with.

Super Moderator

Great news Bill, thanks for the info.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Keith is tops.

I had the M150 solid-state monaural amplifier, VTPH-1 tubed phono preamplifier, and VTSP-1A tubed line stage preamplifier. I had some great listening sessions with them. Still wish I would have held on to the VTPH-1.
    Paul

Speakers: Von Schweikert VR-5 Anniversary MK II Front L/R, LCR-35 Center, VR-1 Rear L/R Sub: JL Audio F113
    Amps: PS Audio BHK Signature 300 Mono, McIntosh MC207 Pre-Amp PS Audio BHK Signature and Gold Note PH-10 Phono Stage/PSU-10 Power Supply
    Turntable: VPI HR-X 12.7 TONEARM (2) and SDS, Stillpoints LPI
    Tape Deck Otari 5050B II2
    Music Server: Aurender N100H
    Cartridges: Ortofon Cadenza Black, Lyra Helikon Mono Digital Source: Oppo UDP-205 DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE
    SSP: Marantz AV8801 Cables: Wireworld Electra 7 (P) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7, Shunyata Delta NR (I) Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 (S)
    Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (USB)
    AC Power Regeneration: PS Audio DirectStream P15 Power Plant and Shunyata Denali 6000s V2.

any idea if the VTSP-360 is in the same league as the highly regarded luxman c900u preamp that you have?

anyone know who the herron VTP-360 stacks up against the top preamps out there like the CJ GAT, veloce, luxman c900u, ayre, or audioresearch ref6? Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks Joe. I am in the market for a top notch preamp. I have a pair of sonus faber guarneri evos and also a pair of raidho c1.2s. Looking to find a magical combo. was thinking of herron 360 preamp and herron amp, or like others mentioned here, like the hegel 30 with a tube pre. What really interests me is maybe the luxman c900u that everyone says is great. any input is greatly appreciated!

Super Moderator

My pleasure.

I can vouch for the C900u. It's a great preamp. I am not wild about the Hegel H30 and would look for something a little "smoother". I am sure the Herron preamp is awesome but I have never actually tried one. I have a few friends who swear by the Herron products and I am sure the new series is superb.

I think a budget is in order to help narrow down possible choices, as well as if you need or want tubes or solid state.

Quote Originally Posted by aerialacoustics View Post
    Thanks Joe. I am in the market for a top notch preamp. I have a pair of sonus faber guarneri evos and also a pair of raidho c1.2s. Looking to find a magical combo. was thinking of herron 360 preamp and herron amp, or like others mentioned here, like the hegel 30 with a tube pre. What really interests me is maybe the luxman c900u that everyone says is great. any input is greatly appreciated!

NAD C 658 streamer.

I was trying to keep the cost of preamp around 7-8k. but i know the c900u is way more than that. if i thought it was my end preamp, then i would strongly consider it. It doesnt make a difference to me if it is tube or solid state. my priority for sound is a preamp or system that gives me a big open sound, large soundstage, natural and musical with a detailed but not bright sound. tight clean bass. i am looking for more of the clean and clear camp, than warm as my sonus guarneri are a touch on the warm side. the evos sound pretty big for a stand monitor, so i want to accentuate that. the luxman 900u comes to mind, maybe the simaudio 740p or herron pre(i heard is a clean yet musical preamp)Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    My pleasure.

I can vouch for the C900u. It's a great preamp. I am not wild about the Hegel H30 and would look for something a little "smoother". I am sure the Herron preamp is awesome but I have never actually tried one. I have a few friends who swear by the Herron products and I am sure the new series is superb.

I think a budget is in order to help narrow down possible choices, as well as if you need or want tubes or solid state.

Super Moderator

Wow! Sounds like you are describing the Luxman. New retail is $15K. I had Evos and loved them. The C900u could be perfect.

What amp do you have now? I did not see what you have now in any of the above posts.

I am sure the Luxman will match with just about anything as it has a low output impedance for starters.

I only briefly heard a low end Simaudio integrated once and it sounded great. I have no experience with their higher level gear.

The Herron combo will probably be less money but a great amp and preamp.

I was trying to keep the cost of preamp around 7-8k. but i know the c900u is way more than that. if i thought it was my end preamp, then i would strongly consider it. It doesn't make a difference to me if it is tube or solid state. my priority for sound is a preamp or system that gives me a big open sound, large soundstage, natural and musical with a detailed but not bright sound. tight clean bass. i am looking for more of the clean and clear camp, than warm as my sonus guarneri are a touch on the warm side. the evos sound pretty big for a stand monitor, so i want to accentuate that. the luxman 900u comes to mind, maybe the simaudio 740p or herron pre(i heard is a clean yet musical preamp)Thanks!

NAD C 658 streamer.

There are certainly several other contenders in that price range but until you go a bit higher into Luxman c900u, ARC REF-6, Ayre territory the Herron based on the reputation of Keith's past gear will probably be hard to beat. Will also help if you decide on or narrow down your amp choices so you will know whether you need a balanced or single ended preamp or one that can do both.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

yeah, i was thinking the luxman c900u would fit the bill. but if the herron is close, the money saved would be worth it. i have a hunch the herron gear is pretty good. but if the luxman is clearly head and shoulders above, then i will wait and get it and be done looking. right now I have a classe cp700 pre and classe cam 400 monos. pretty good, but i know there is better. after getting the luxman, i will then hunt for an amp. maybe the companion luxman amp or something less expensive that would go well with my goals. thanks for your help everyone.

yeah, i was thinking the luxman c900u would fit the bill. but if the herron is close, the money saved would be worth it. i have a hunch the herron gear is pretty good. but if the luxman is clearly head and shoulders above, then i will wait and get it and be done looking. right now I have a classe cp700 pre and classe cam 400 monos. pretty good, but i know there is better. after getting the luxman, i will then hunt for an amp. maybe the companion luxman amp or something less expensive that would go well with my goals. thanks for your help everyone.
    sonus faber guarneri evolution and raidho c1.2, berkeley alpha dac 2, micro Zotl m2z preamplifier, classe cam 400 mono amps, audio note lexus speaker cables, audioquest water interconnects

Not really sure how you are going to know the answer to that question without getting them both in your listening room. You can buy the Herron preamp and mono's for the price of half the Luxman pair. I find it hard to believe they are twice as good. Also consider taking a flyer on the trial period for the Linear Tube Audio MZ2. That would save a pile of money to be used elsewhere. After Joe's rave reviews I would have tried it but my prefered amp is not fond of SE preamps.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Super Moderator

Don’t kid yourself, the CAM 400 monos are wonderful amps. I know someone who loved the CAM 600 monos with a McIntosh preamp, a C2300 if I remember correctly. Was a wonderful combo.

Re: the LTA MZ2 preamp is superb for under $2200 loaded. There are several members here with them. They offer a 2 week trial if I remember correctly. You might love it.

I would venture to say that one of several preamps mated to your amps could be a wonderful match.

If purchased correctly, the PS Audio BHK preamp and your amps would be awesome as well.

Check that one out as well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

+1 on the BHK I love mine and the flavor can be changed to a point with an abundance of tube choices from the 12AU7,6DJ8 and 7DJ8 tube families. In fact the combo of the BHK preamp and amp is a good choice of power and tubes.

Super Moderator

A big plus one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    +1 on the BHK I love mine and the flavor can be changed to a point with an abundance of tube choices from the 12AU7,6DJ8 and 7DJ8 tube families. In fact the combo of the BHK preamp and amp is a good choice of power and tubes.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Thanks for suggestions. I know it is not a fair comparison, but how does the zotl preamp compare to the luxman c900u or BHK?I heard great things about the zotl, from people at the capitol audio fest, but at that time Mark sneider had just came out with the unit, but no remote on the first model. I figured give him some time to tweak it. Now it seems like a big following. Also, for Joe, what do you mean if purchased correctly, the BHK preamp would be a good choice. Do you mean get at a good price on the used market, I presume? If so, w hat is a fair price for the BHK. thanks guys!
    sonus faber guarneri evolution and raidho c1.2, berkeley alpha dac 2, micro Zotl m2z preamplifier, classe cam 400 mono amps, audio note lexus speaker cables, audioquest water interconnects

Super Moderator

Where are you located?

Sometimes you can find some gear with the holiday price still in effect or a dealer with a gently demoed piece as good as new.
    Last edited by joeinid; January 12, 2018 at 11:43 AM.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Super Moderator

The new MZ2 units have optional remote control and better external power supplies available. They are simply outstanding. RCA only but the performance is beyond reproach. Frankly, I’d buy the MZ2 and save up for a killer amp, possibly tubes if you are inclined.

In fact I know someone using the MZ with a CJ ARTsa and is blown away with the combo. That would be world class performance on your speakers.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Coming from someone who owns the luxman, I guess the MZ2 is a great buy. I am located in california, so maybe there are some ps audio dealers near, I have to check. But from what you describe, the MZ2 can compete with the best preamps out there right now. I heard great things about it a few years ago, now I will definitely try it. If it matches well with my classe monos then great. If not, I will be shopping for a really good solid state amp that can really make my Guarneri evos sing. Thanks for the advice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    The new MZ2 units have optional remote control and better external power supplies available. They are simply outstanding. RCA only but the performance is beyond reproach. Frankly, I’d buy the MZ2 and save up for a killer amp, possibly tubes if you are inclined.

In fact I know someone using the MZ with a CJ ARTsa and is blown away with the combo. That would be world class performance on your speakers.

Super Moderator

There’s nothing to lose. At least a few weeks trial period and I know that me and two others specifically that kept the LTA MZ2. You can tube roll the 12AT7/12AU7 to suit your needs. I don’t think the other tubes affect the sound of the preamp section.

Attached Images Attached Images

NAD C 658 streamer.

by the way, anybody have any experience or know about the new audible illusions L3a preamp? any thoughts? my guess is the zotl is better. but anyone hear the L3a?

Extremely high gain and also picky and very hard on tubes.

Any recs on which stock tubes? The 6sn7 or 12sn7?

If you are talking about the LTA then I would touch base with them and verify whether or not the 6SN7's have any effect on the preamp functions or are just the drive tubes for the headphone amps. If the latter then just get the cheapest unless you are going to use the headphone amp.

Super Moderator

Jack is correct. I ordered the NOS 12sn7 thinking it would affect the preamp section, I later found out they only benefit the headphone section. Oh well.

NAD C 658 streamer.

What was the discount on the ps audio bhk preamp during the holiday sale? Around 3500$ for a new unit?

What was the discount on the ps audio bhk preamp during the holiday sale? Around 3500$ for a new unit?
    I believe they were offering a one third (33.33%) discount on the BHK electronics, so the $6K preamp would have been on sale for $4K.

I uesed to own a VTSP-3A r3. It was a very quiet clear and detailed, yet musical, preamp, w/ incredible built quality. Neutral! It also had ergonomics and features that one only realized owning it. For instance,, among other things, the phase button on the remote, as well as power polarity switch on the back. It had some sort of a built in protection circuit on the power side and the rectification design is very good w/ low noise.
    Keith is a straight shooter, very knowledgeable, interesting to listen to when called and very fair with his offerings and updates... He is constantly trying new parts within curent designs and offering updates...
    this new 360 pre was evidently a new design discovery for him, after taking the “3” as far as he could, then enter the new 360.
    I no longer own the pre but if a different course of system evolution I would not hesitate to try the 360...
    Call Keith. He will most likely give you a trial, direct (and pricing).

I received my new Herron 360 over the holidays, replacing my VTSP-3A. Keith took it in trade along with my very old VTSP-1A which was sitting in my storage room. It functionally works identically to the VTSP-3A. I think you need to try it if you are comparing with other preamps. I think it is great. I have had Herron preamps for more than 25 years, beginning with his first VTSP-1. Besides having wonderful sound, Keith's preamps are extremely sturdy and reliable, with tubes that last just about forever - even though I keep my preamp on 24x7. The remote is extreme compact and very functional. The only thing it will not do is the balance control. I especially like being able to change absolute phase from my listening seat. I can detect correct phase pretty easily with my system so having that feature is very useful.

Keith is not trying to become a rich man, he is happy selling at a reasonable price and is more concerned about the quality of his products than manufacturing in the cheapest locations in the world. He doesn't change models very often and my previous two preamps (the 1 and 3 were both upgraded at the factory (near St. Louis) to the 1A and 3A status) for a very reasonable price.

If you can get one on loan from your dealer, that would be the best way to compare. Keith might be willing to loan you one. I think he is either back ordered or makes them to order. I had to wait for 2 or 3 weeks for mine. I have another preamp, the CJ MET-1 which I use for multichannel playing. If Keith made a multichannel preamp, I would replace the CJ in a heartbeat.

I also got Keith's phono pre, the VTPH-2A which can take both MM and MC inputs, which works well with my system, where my stereo cartridge is high output and my mono cartridge is low output. He took my old VTPH-1MC for a generous trade.

All of Keith's electronics are unbalanced and the phono pre is RIAA only.

Larry
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

I recently picked up a Herron VTSP-1A/166 just out of curiosity. I am blown away! It's unbelievable how articulate and extended this linestage truly is.

In conversations with Keith I've learned that the newer models of his linestage do allow options for lower gain. The latest VTSP-360 allows throttling output gain of either 14db or 4db. My existing VTSP-1A is 14db and I believe due to the design of where the volume control is inserted in circuit, I get some "gain floor rush/noise" from my 94db efficient speakers when the unit is idle and/or volume is low. I've tested several Kevin-picked quads of tubes that are ultra quiet in other gear and the gain noise floor stil exists. Once I get the listening level into the 70-75dbdb range, I don't hear it but I do a lot of listening at low level so its a concern for me.

I read everywhere about how "quiet" the Herron preamps are so it has me puzzled if the VTSP-1A I'm using is normal or might need repair or if my definition of "quiet" is just different than everyone else?

Larry, can you describe your use of the VTSP-1A and any noise floor you experienced while using it?

Thanks!
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Mike, I don't remember a noise issue with my old 1aA, but it has been many years since it was in my system (maybe 10 years). Since the 1A I had the 3, upgraded to a 3A and now the 360. I have had my Avantgarde Duos for more than 15 years, and they are 103db sensitive, so I think I would have been bothered with preamp noise. I definitely would talk to Keith again and ship it to him to take a look at it. He can be backed up, but you can find out the turnaround time. I never had the 1A/166, going from the 1 to upgraded to a 1A and then skipping to a 3.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by MikeCh View Post
    I recently picked up a Herron VTSP-1A/166 just out of curiosity. I am blown away! It's unbelievable how articulate and extended this linestage truly is.

In conversations with Keith I've learned that the newer models of his linestage do allow options for lower gain. The latest VTSP-360 allows throttling output gain of either 14db or 4db. My existing VTSP-1A is 14db and I believe due to the design of where the volume control is inserted in circuit, I get some "gain floor rush/noise" from my 94db efficient speakers when the unit is idle and/or volume is low. I've tested several Kevin-picked quads of tubes that are ultra quiet in other gear and the gain noise floor stil exists. Once I get the listening level into the 70-75dbdb range, I don't hear it but I do a lot of listening at low level so its a concern for me.

I read everywhere about how "quiet" the Herron preamps are so it has me puzzled if the VTSP-1A I'm using is normal or might need repair or if my definition of "quiet" is just different than everyone else?

Larry, can you describe your use of the VTSP-1A and any noise floor you experienced while using it?

Thanks!
    Analog-VPIClassic3-3DArm,Lyra Skala+MiyajimaZeroMono,2xAmpex ATR-102,Otari MX5050B2, Merrill Trident Tape Preamp, Herron VTPH-2A&BottleheadPhonoPre,
    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicroso nicsModel2 AD
    Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC Roon/HQPlayer,Oppo105
    Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps
    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
    Other-512 Engineering Tim Marutani Symmetrical Power IsoTrans and cables,AudioDiskVinylCleaner,
    Music-2.3KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,60TBripped files

Thanks for the additional info Larry.

I'll call Keith again to discuss things.

Quote Originally Posted by astrotoy View Post
    Mike, I don't remember a noise issue with my old 1aA, but it has been many years since it was in my system (maybe 10 years). Since the 1A I had the 3, upgraded to a 3A and now the 360. I have had my Avantgarde Duos for more than 15 years, and they are 103db sensitive, so I think I would have been bothered with preamp noise. I definitely would talk to Keith again and ship it to him to take a look at it. He can be backed up, but you can find out the turnaround time. I never had the 1A/166, going from the 1 to upgraded to a 1A and then skipping to a 3.

Larry
    Avanti Audio

arc sp-11 or ls27 | arc d130 | vpi classic 2 w/periphery ring w/Si3N4 bearing & sapphire thrust plate & 2x jmw 10.5i | phoenix engineering eagle & road runner | ortofon cadenza bronze, miyajima zero mono | sentec eq11 w/ Sylvania 5751 TMBP & CBS 7318 | auditorium a23 | canton ref 9 dc | 2x m&k v125 | oppo bdp-95 | chord qutest | lumin d1 & sbooster | avanti audio vivace cables

Update: Keith shared that there's no existing mod to attenuate the gain on the VTSP-1a/166. He shared that a gain reduction option was included starting with later models including his newest VTSP360 that has options for 14db or reduction to 4db output gain. With the VTSP-1 I've found that tube positions V1 and V3 are just extra sensitive to tube noise. I've gone thru six different sets of 6922/7DJ8/E88CC tubes I've got and found several tube set combinations that lower the noise/gain/rush floor level to completely acceptable levels. With each "culled" set, I now have not only options for different tube flavors but also a nice quiet noise floor at my listening position. There's still a tiny bit of hiss coming from the tweeters with my ear 12" or so from the driver but I can't hear it at my listening position.

So far, I've found the following tube types that sound great with this Herron preamp:

1. two sets of ARC branded W. German made E88CC's (fantastic drive and finesse, an all around superstar)
    2. two sets of Electro-Harmonix 6922's (surprised me, but these are THE quietest so far and are what Keith uses now I believe...and sound close to the ARC's above)
    3. Tungsram 6922 (a little more shimmer on top than the others with a beautiful midrange and solid bottom end)
    4. Matsushita / National PCC88 (I wish these were more quiet in general as they are similar to the Tungsram, just a tiny bit warmer and rounder on top. Bottom end is solid, controlled and presents a nice foundation to the music. These are my favorites so far for overall synergies with my setup)

Sorry if my comments above are interpreted as changing the conversation about Herron models. Since the VTSP-360 is a substantial chunk of change for me, I'm glad it's possible to get a taste from this older model for now. Would love to one day own Keith's new design.
    Avanti Audio

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

New: Herron Audio VTSP-360 Vacuum Tube Stereo Preamplifier