Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Salamander AV furniture?

Any experience with Salamander AV units? Looking at a couple of their more aesthetically oriented units in the Chameleon series (as opposed to the rack mount pieces) to place in our combined living room / listening room. I know they're not as pure audiophile oriented as a dedicated audio rack, but they at least have ventilation on the bottom and rear, solid moderately damped shelves, and wire management opportunities.

Re: Salamander AV furniture?

I have used the Salamander Synergy for many years in the main system in my old house an currently in a secondary system.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Here it is in a secondary system
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Here it is in the old house

I own one. I feel it's worth the extra $$$ to buy something better…...
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Penthouse-D View Post
    I own one. I feel it's worth the extra $$$ to buy something better…...
    What would you recommend in the "better" category? I know there are any number of more audio-specific racks out there - my problem is that this needs to look like a piece of modern (and enclosed) furniture. Salamander and BDI are the only ones I've come across that seem to have any success combining spouse-approved furniture looks with audio functionality. Salamander's build seems better than BDI's to me. Both are in the $2-3k price range. So if there's something better, I'm definitely interested.

It depends on your budget and of course preferences. There is stuff like - http://www.kansoaudiofurniture.com/p5.html or http://bello.com/ or https://www.standoutdesigns.com/ and I'm sure a whole host of others. I ended up getting something from Odyssey Audio. My rack is 350 lbs. I designed its configuration. I also use isolation devices with it.

There are many audio specific options out there. The Salamander racks are simply wood and aluminum mix and match very basic shelving. No isolation at all.
    T+A MP3100HV, T+A PA3100HV. Custom made Furutech cables with ETP-609 distributor with NCF outlets, Harbeth 40.2 Anniversaries.

While I have the Salamander in a secondary system currently, I do use isolation devices on components (e.g. Gingko Audio Cloud 10 Platform). The Kanso furniture I noted above looks like furniture does use materials that isolate things better than Salamander. The OP noted "my problem is that this needs to look like a piece of modern (and enclosed) furniture." So perhaps for his needs it would be best to get things to isolate the components on the shelves - e.g. - http://www.ginkgoaudio.com/product-category/platforms/

There are many other isolation devices of all price points. I originally bought the Salamander as I needed lots of adjustable shelf space and sometimes the space needed to be adjusted when I got a new component. The OP needs something that will satisfy the spouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil A View Post
    The OP noted "my problem is that this needs to look like a piece of modern (and enclosed) furniture." So perhaps for his needs it would be best to get things to isolate the components on the shelves - e.g. - http://www.ginkgoaudio.com/product-category/platforms/
    You hit the nail on the head, Phil!

I've looked at the suggestions here and on the "name your favorite rack" thread, and not surprisingly they tend to be open audio racks that offer great isolation and ventilation. No arguement that something like that would be ideal soncially, but it won't pass my aesthetics committee. Salamander has been interesting to us because they at least make an nod in the direction of ventilation, damping, and rear access, while looking more like furniture than a rack. I can't argue that they're less than ideal from a pure audio standpoint, though. This one has gotten good reviews on appearance from "the committee": http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/pro...5-520877b78c1b (as have others in that Chameleon series). If there's anything out there that has this sort of console / sideboard look but is more audio oriented that Salamander, that's what I'm looking for. If not, we'll go down the Salamander route, and put some effort into component isolation.

In my main system (pic was posted several responses ago of both the current Odyssey rack and the Salamander I formerly used in the old house), I have an integrated AV system. My requirements in the new place were for something lower than the 40 inch Salamander towers for the screen height. I originally intended to go with the Adona AV rack. I spoke to the owner right before ground was being broken on the new house. When I was ready to buy, I had sent three emails and made three phone calls (and spoke to him twice) and was basically ignored. At the Capital Audiofest in the summer 2013, I ran into someone in my Northern VA audio group at the time and we grabbed lunch. I mentioned my rack situation to him (and he had Adona racks but not the kind I would want - towers) and he mentioned he was selling his and had ordered an Odyssey rack at RMAF and I should go upstairs and talk to Klaus from Odyssey. So I did. I designed it to my needs (as you or anyone else should do for yours). As I noted it weighs 350 lbs. The bottom shelf is 93 lbs. It works quite well (better than Salamander) with the isolation devices. I even talked to the designer or HRS racks (http://avisolation.com/) before I went to Odyssey. I would have loved to get their racks. However, it probably was going to run me $25k, give or take, for what I would need. If cost were no object, I would have bought something like that.

A bit of advice with regard to Salamander. When I got the rack, my friend worked at a high end shop and I help set up several. Avoid any of the designs where they have perforated metal panels (e.g on the front doors or sides). Sometimes they can rattle. I still use their Synergy media cabinets (you can see them in the one pic of the old house as they are narrow and made for CD/DVDs/Blu-Rays) in the main system for Blu-Rays. All the rest of my media is in a closet and I'm into file playback for music.

I have a Salamander Synergy Triple, with the perforated front doors for ventilation. Haven't had any rattling issues, but I did notice that one of the doors was significantly warped; Salamander sent me another without any problems. The only other actual problems I have had have been the little door-close shock-absorbing thingies fall off (they're entirely unnecessary anyway) and the locking mechanism in one of my casters broke when I pushed the rack without unlocking it. All in all I feel that it's decent; I have no doubt that you can get better for more $$, but I am not unsatisfied. The finish also tends to show fingerprints and dirt easily, but it's also pretty tough and fairly easy to clean.
    Main system: PS Audio P5, CAPS server w/HDPlex power supply, Hegel H160, AQ Colorado and Rocket 44, Vandersteen Treos, PS Audio DS DAC. NAD M4 tuner, Mcintosh MR74. Analog: Bryston BLP1, Ortofon Quintet Black, customized Tavish Adagio phono pre. AudioSensibility Statement interconnects. Rythmik Audio 15-inch sub. Other stuff: Sequerra Met 7's (original) Met 7 MK. II, REL Q108, Berning ea-230's, Micro Seiki BL51 with Grace and Rega arms. Too much else to list, I am gonna leave a heck of a pile of stuff when I die.

Salamander AV furniture?

I have the Salamander Archetype. It is open; no doors. In my opinion, the looks of the equipment is better than the look of any rack that has doors (not to mention better air flow). If you have nice equipment, don't hide it! Of course ultimately WAF wins. Salamander AV furniture?

Standout Designs makes great racks that look like furniture. Build quality is outstanding. I’ve had one in my family room for over 5 years.

www.standoutdesigns.com
    Gary
    Main: Lumin A1, Accuphase E-650, Tannoy Canterbury GR, Shunyata, Audience
    Secondary: Lumin M1, Linton Heritage, Shunyata, Audience

Nicoff,

Absolutely. It's all about WAF. But I'd also note that if somebody lets small children into the house they are less likely to mess with shiny stuff if it's behind a door.
    Main system: PS Audio P5, CAPS server w/HDPlex power supply, Hegel H160, AQ Colorado and Rocket 44, Vandersteen Treos, PS Audio DS DAC. NAD M4 tuner, Mcintosh MR74. Analog: Bryston BLP1, Ortofon Quintet Black, customized Tavish Adagio phono pre. AudioSensibility Statement interconnects. Rythmik Audio 15-inch sub. Other stuff: Sequerra Met 7's (original) Met 7 MK. II, REL Q108, Berning ea-230's, Micro Seiki BL51 with Grace and Rega arms. Too much else to list, I am gonna leave a heck of a pile of stuff when I die.

Since this thread got resurrected from the dead, I'll chime in to say that we ended up purchasing the Salamander "Chicago", 4-doors wide, 2-shelves tall (the one I linked back on June 15). It fits our room and our gear quite well, though I wish I could get the doors to align just a tiny bit better. It's one of those things where you don't notice it unless you know it's there... Otherwise, we've been quite happy. Gear stays plenty cool enough, even under spirited use, and I haven't noticed any ringing or damping issues so far.
    Jeff

Main System
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100H; Disc Player: Oppo UDP-205; DAC: Topping D90SE; Preamp: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Power Amp: ATI AT542NC; Speakers: Focal Sopra No. 3; Cables: Wireworld, Kimber, Cullin; Power: Ansuz Mainz8 X-TC, PS Audio Dectet, Furutech outlets

Basement Media Room
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N100SC; Disc Player: Panasonic DB-UP9000; Surround Pre/Pro: Monoprice Monolith HTP-1; Power Amps: Apollon NC1200SL (custom 3-channel w/Sparkos SS2590 op amps), Apollon AS3600 6-channel; Speakers: Focal Kanta No. 3, Kanta Center, 300 ICW8 (x6); Subwoofer: Rythmik F18SE (x2); Cables: Wireworld, BlueJeans; Power: Torus RM20, Furman Elite 20PFi; Room Correction: Dirac Live w/ Bass Control; Video: Sony 77" A9G OLED

I think Salamander works just fine.

Living room:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC601 mono blocks
    - Focal Sopra 2
    - McIntosh MCT450
    - Aurender N10

Office:
    - McIntosh D1100
    - McIntosh MC452
    - Focal Sopra 1 + Focal Utopia headphones
    - REL T9i subwoofer
    - Aurender N100C

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Salamander AV furniture?