Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PrimaLuna Amplifiers(or other suggestions)

I am looking for some information and opinions. Down the road a little I am thinking about upgrading my tube amplifier. I will probably be keeping the First Watt at that point because it is such a sweat sounding amplifier.

Basically I am thinking that the new Audio Research amplifiers may not be in my price range in the near future. I have been hearing good things about the PrimaLuna.

So a few questions. I am not a huge fan of Chinese manufactured equipment, however if it is that much better quality and value than others in their respective price range then maybe it is worth considering.
    • Are there other tube amplifiers in similar price ranges that may be a better value.... Conrad Johnson?
    • Are these new amplifiers going to be noticeably better sounding than my current Audio Research VT50?
    • I know the PrimaLuna is much more flexible in tubes that can be used, while the VT50 is limiting. Upscale Audio told me that for the VT50 tubes should be gotten from Audio Research directly. So, how important is this factor?
    • Reliability? How reliable are the PrimaLuna or other amplifiers of this level?

Basically I am trying to determine if this type of move would be a good decision and move forward in my system. I very much value other forum members opinions. In many ways this is the best source since there are no dealers near me and being able to actually audition amplifiers is almost impossible.

Thank you!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Re: PrimaLuna Amplifiers(or other suggestions)

I am not a huge fan of Chinese manufactured equipment
    Well if that's the case you might need to rid yourself of almost everything in your home not to mention the car parts (electronics that are made in China). Most everything even items so small make up alot of what we have in our homes or for that mater what we wear to the thread to dye etc..

PrimaLuna is pretty top notch gear and you save a considerable amount of $$ in lieu of new AR or CJ gear.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Chris... you are funny... I know everything we own has various parts sourced from all over the world ..

The small point being made in that statement was I do prefer US companies (i.e. ARC, CJ, Mc, W4S, etc.) over Chinese companies...

I very much value opinions and inputs from friends here on the forum.... and it sounds like you are saying some of which I have been thinking. Do you feel that I would noticed fairly large SQ improvements over my VT50?
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Hi Randy,

Even though I have never owned PL gear, I want to. I respect the great reputation that they have developed. I love the fact that PL has their unique auto-bias feature so they are as close to plug and play as possible.

You know that I am a huge CJ fan. I love the sound of CJ, more than even ARC or most others. Biasing CJ is extremely easy and individual tube bias negates buying matched pairs/quads of tubes.

I believe tube life on PL is very long and you know exactly which tube needs to be replaced should a problem arise.

I think Upscale will offer a trial period on their gear so it might be extremely valuable to experience it for yourself and compare it to your VT50.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Four years ago I reviewed the PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium integrated amplifier. I was mighty impressed with the sound, the build quality, and the many premium parts like an Alps Blue Velvet motorized volume control, Solen and Nichicon capacitors, and many 1% tolerance resistors. Point to point wiring was very well done, neatly routed, and solder joints were clean and solid. Overall craftsmanship and attention to detail was top notch. I was pleasantly surprised to find such high quality in the PrimaLuna amp. The sound of this integrated amplifier was excellent. In my opinion the price to performance ratio of PrimaLuna amplifiers is remarkable.

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Upscale's return policies are 7 days with 15% restocking fee. On PL it is 14 days 10% restocking fee. Also shipping both direction. Therefore if you return an amplifier that is $3800 for example, including shipping it would cost you at minimal $650. Unfortunately, this seems rather high to test out an amplifier ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

i hear good things about primaluna from folks i know . are they not auto biasing? which eases ownership perhaps

the arcref75se seems reasonable s/h and also has some very happy owners
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    Chris... you are funny... I know everything we own has various parts sourced from all over the world ..

The small point being made in that statement was I do prefer US companies (i.e. ARC, CJ, Mc, W4S, etc.) over Chinese companies...

I very much value opinions and inputs from friends here on the forum.... and it sounds like you are saying some of which I have been thinking. Do you feel that I would noticed fairly large SQ improvements over my VT50?
    I guess the first question, why get another amp, are the one's your using not providing you with the musical enjoyment you are seeking, or is it, "I want to know"

With tube gear say the DiaLogue Premium, you can roll tubes till you get to some happy place in sound tailored to fit you personal requirements and it even supports the KT150's. There are reviews all over the net and all appear to be positive.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

More or less wanting to know if a new amplifier, such as the PrimaLuna would be better sounding, improvement over the 15 year old ARC that I own. With my recent upgrade in Rectifier tube for my Woo Audio headphone amplifier and seeing how much of an improvement it truly is I do feel it might be fun to experiment with rolling some. From what I have been told and read tube rolling on the VT50 is not advised and not worthy of doing. It sounds like many of the newer amps, and especially with the PL, tube rolling is a viable option.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

More or less wanting to know if a new amplifier, such as the PrimaLuna would be better sounding, improvement over the 15 year old ARC that I own.
    Randy, this is the million dollar question. I am wanting to change gear also but finding what I can afford does not blow away my early 90s gear. It would only be New and Different and not necessarily Better The only real way to find out is to have the gear in your room. And yes, the cost of shipping back and forth along with restocking fees takes auditioning gear out of reach for people who don't have that kind of cash to waste on a 15 day trial. I am in the same boat, I want to hear a Pass Int, but there is no dealer in my local with one, nor are there any people local my dealer has sold to to hook me up with. So I cannot drop $10K on something that I have only read about.

Good luck with your search.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Be sure and take a look at the Rogue ST100.....it's a very nice amp.
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    Randy, this is the million dollar question. I am wanting to change gear also but finding what I can afford does not blow away my early 90s gear. It would only be New and Different and not necessarily Better The only real way to find out is to have the gear in your room. And yes, the cost of shipping back and forth along with restocking fees takes auditioning gear out of reach for people who don't have that kind of cash to waste on a 15 day trial. I am in the same boat, I want to hear a Pass Int, but there is no dealer in my local with one, nor are there any people local my dealer has sold to to hook me up with. So I cannot drop $10K on something that I have only read about.

Good luck with your search.
    Brian same here. PS there is a INT-150 on AC (a later serial #) for a decent price. When I look at gear, I always wonder will it sound the extra $$$ that leaves my pocket better over what I own. I let the weeks go by and let the urge pass then ask myself should I or shouldn't I, 99% , ain't happening.

There is a good review of the PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium Preamp and HP Stereo/Mono Amplifiers written by Greg Weaver in The Absolute Sound. It is an interesting read.

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...o-made-simple/
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I agree, "better" is so subjective.

CJ will definitely give you different, from ARC. I like to say CJ breathes soul into the music, really nice PR&T, can also lean warm. I dealt with Spearit Sound with CJ, no restock and they were good to work with.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Thanks for all the input everyone... greatly appreciated... I know CJ is easy to bias (not as easy as PL or the new ARC, but not like my VT50). How is CJ for rolling? I also wish that Conrad Johnson offered black cases... but the gold is not terrible....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy

I think I would try a set of Genalex KT-88's in place of the 6550's to see what that change brings before shopping for amplifiers. If that change doesn't do anything the tubes would work in another amp so you lose nothing. Other than rare and expensive cases many of these tube amps are variations of time tested circuits at different price points. Newer is not always better just different.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Hey Jack, that sounds like a great idea. Any suggestions on good place to buy them? These are the Golden Lions, right? They are $59.95 each at Upscale Audio.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

I am not a huge fan of Chinese manufactured equipment
    I think Prima Luna likes to promotes themselves as: 'Dutch design with Dutch after-sales service with Far East manufacturing under European control'. The Chinese part is just there to keep things affordable. It shouldn't influence the quality or sound character I would think.
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Randy

$59 is pretty much the going rate unless you catch a sale. If you buy from www.tubestore.com or the like at least you avoid the 10% Ca. sales tax.

Most of the Primaluna/Mystere gear is manufactured by Melody. In fact the Mystere line looks a lot like the Melody stuff.
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Have you considered Cary Audio for a tube amp? They make some nice gear and its made in the USA. I have only owned a Cary DAC and its build quality was great.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Thank you. Not one I have considered, but when time comes I might. Definitely appreciate any and all suggestions...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Randy, I'll put it this way. With my very positive experience owning the PrimaLuna HP Integrated amp, I traded in my McIntosh C2300 preamp and MC601 mono amps for the PrimaLuna Dialogue Preamp and Dialogue HP mono amps. My system has never sounded better.
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechnutt View Post
    Have you considered Cary Audio for a tube amp? They make some nice gear and its made in the USA. I have only owned a Cary DAC and its build quality was great.
    I have owned a number of Cary products. Build quality is good and sound is very nice. A little more "old fashioned" tube sound as compared to PrimaLuna. My big gripe was the maintenance. They ran thru tubes very quickly and keeping on top of the biasing was a pain in the tookus. One time a tube went out and took a driver of my Sonus Faber speakers with it. I found them to be too unreliable to own long term.

The PrimaLuna gear is EASY to own. No biasing and as they are easy on tubes, the tube life is greatly extended.
    Kevin

Main: VPI Aries 3/Grado Reference3, and Aurender N200 > PS Audio DS DAC. Luxman L-509Z integrated amp. Sonus Faber Elipsa SE speakers. PS Audio P10 power. Transparent Audio, Cardas and Audioquest cables.

Bar: EAT C-sharp/Hana MH, and exaSound s82 > Luxman L-595SE amp. GolderEar One.R speakers. Shunyata power, Audioquest cables.

Thank you for the input Kevin. As someone who grew up in Binghamton I have always had McIntosh on the brain. However, with research in their current product line I tend to agree with your assessment. The PrimaLuna stuff is starting to really look like a winner...

My current thought, goal if you will, is to get one primary amplifier. The Audio Research is a fantastic amplifier, and recently refurbished with brand new tubes from ARC, will make someone an amazing amp. At this point I am thinking I am too old, too green behind the ears with tubes, which ever you want to label it, to deal with it's re-biasing if I ever want to play around rolling tubes. Granted, it is not that difficult, but at this point in time I don't feel like messing with it. Of course it is good to know that the current tubes from ARC have less than 200 hours on them, so with my limited play on it they may last for years and years .... I would consider selling it for what I paid for it a few months ago, but I certainly would not loose money on it since there is no desperate need to get rid of it ...

I am thinking that I may keep the First Watt for the time being since it is such a sweat sounding amplifier... but if whatever replacement I get fits the bill.... who knows...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I just switched the speaker cables back to the Audio Research. Dam this is a great sounding amplifier also. Not quite the definition as the FW, but it has all kinds of balls and so smooth... Maybe got to roll with the tubes a bit here.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Randy - great amp. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Randy

The KT-88's will sound different.

I have been seriously thinking about these actually... I assume I will have to re-bias, I know not really hard, but a pain none the less.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Yes you will but to the same bias point and since the other tubes were pretty much new when you got it they shouldn't be far off. It is worth the effort to hear the difference and if you don't want to do the Genelax tubes there are others that are cheaper and used by many with good result. Most all of the current brands are produced in just a couple of factories in Russia or China.

The way I see it Jack, if you are gonna spend the money might as well get the Golden Lions ...

Will the KT88 actual give a little more power?

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I agree but there are other options out there that some people think are just as good. I've had good luck for example with JJ and Valve Art.

I have been seriously thinking about these actually... I assume I will have to re-bias, I know not really hard, but a pain none the less.
    Randy.......Setting the bias for each pair of power tubes in the Audio Research VT50 is simple providing you have a digital multimeter capable of reading 65mVDC (0.065 volts DC), preferably one with insulated alligator clip options for the meter's test leads. Clip your meter leads on either side of the 0.5 ohm resistor at the points labeled TEST POINTS, then energize the amplifier and allow it to come up to normal operating temperature. Using a small plastic tip screwdriver make tiny adjustments to the blue potentiometer labeled BIAS ADJUST. The meter reading of 0.065 volts DC is the correct value for the 6550 power tubes. You may want to contact Audio Research to verify if that same bias voltage is used with KT88's. Repeat this procedure for the other output channel. Be sure the amplifier is turned off before clipping the meter's test leads to the resistor or removing the test leads from the resistor. There is 420 volts at the test points. That voltage can be lethal.

Dan

I have all of the above and have successfully done biasing on the amp. It just is a process... I know it is not that difficult, but is certainly is a process.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Dang lag double posts... can't figure out how to delete them... sorry...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Super Moderator

NAD C 658 streamer.

Dan

Yea, this is one of the reasons I have been investigating PrimaLuna. Tubes that are not a pain and support virtual any tube out there...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Yea, this is one of the reasons I have been investigating PrimaLuna. Tubes that are not a pain and support virtual any tube out there...
    Randy.......You made a comment earlier about not being too excited about gear made in China. I held that same feeling for many years. In the past ten years there has been a major shift in the quality of goods coming from China. This includes audio equipment, especially gear that is designed and engineered in the USA, Canada, the UK, and in the case of PrimaLuna, Holland, then assembled in China factories. With rigorous oversight and testing, high quality internal parts, and ingenious design PrimaLuna has brought to our shores some truly amazing audio components. When I auditioned the PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium integrated amplifier and wrote a review several years ago I found my "Made in China" bias fade away. The PrimaLuna integrated amplifier was meticulously manufactured to a very high standard. The overall craftsmanship was excellent as is evident in the photos earlier in this thread. The performance was well above its price point. I was impressed. Things get even better when one moves up the product line to the PrimaLuna DiaLogue preamp and HP amplifiers. These are serious audio components worthy of considerable attention. That they also continue to deliver performance well above their price points makes them strong contenders in any sound system. Where they are actually assembled has become a non-issue in my opinion.
    Dan

Randy

Parts Connexion is having a 25% off sale which should include the GL KT-88's. Shoot Chris an e-mail and verify as you won't do better than that. Read their info on the checkout page as what is shown in the cart is not the price they invoice you for. The discount is in the invoice you get by e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Randy.......You made a comment earlier about not being too excited about gear made in China. I held that same feeling for many years. In the past ten years there has been a major shift in the quality of goods coming from China. This includes audio equipment, especially gear that is designed and engineered in the USA, Canada, the UK, and in the case of PrimaLuna, Holland, then assembled in China factories. With rigorous oversight and testing, high quality internal parts, and ingenious design PrimaLuna has brought to our shores some truly amazing audio components. When I auditioned the PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium integrated amplifier and wrote a review several years ago I found my "Made in China" bias fade away. The PrimaLuna integrated amplifier was meticulously manufactured to a very high standard. The overall craftsmanship was excellent as is evident in the photos earlier in this thread. The performance was well above its price point. I was impressed. Things get even better when one moves up the product line to the PrimaLuna DiaLogue preamp and HP amplifiers. These are serious audio components worthy of considerable attention. That they also continue to deliver performance well above their price points makes them strong contenders in any sound system. Where they are actually assembled has become a non-issue in my opinion.
    +1. For my PL gear, the last thing I am concerned about is build quality. These are some really fine pieces of kit.

I love the fact that I can try many different types of tubes and not have to worry about biasing. From KT150's to EL34's to 7581A's...I can try them all. Great fun!
    Kevin

That does sound like fun!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I owned a Prologue 5 and later a pair of Prologue 7 mono blocks. I also owned a Prologue preamplifier. Well built and I liked their simple look and small foot print. Never had any problem with them except maybe the factory installed tubes were a little flaky. I went through several on warrantee until I got a set that were stable (at least for a year or so). They did perform well and responded well to upgraded tubes. Off subject, but the factory phono stage for the preamplifer is at best OK. I would not waste money on it myself.

In the end, the speakers I had at the time sounded better with SS amps but no fault of the PrimaLuna amps. Personally, I have learned to avoid tube amps. Don't get me wrong, they can sound great with the right pair of speakers depending on the tubes and circuit. I demand tubes in my preamplifiers and phono stages (also my DAC has tube power supply and outputs), but I'm pretty settled on a good SS amplifier these days.

I am getting a full set of KT150's delivered on Saturday for my Dialogue HP monoblocks. It will be a very interesting comparison to the stock EL34's. Once they have broken in and I have some time to compare, I will post my impressions.
    Kevin

Super Moderator

Excellent Kevin. Looking forward to your thoughts and opinion. I've always wanted the full Primaluna setup. Should be fun.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by 4N6 View Post
    I am getting a full set of KT150's delivered on Saturday for my Dialogue HP monoblocks. It will be a very interesting comparison to the stock EL34's. Once they have broken in and I have some time to compare, I will post my impressions.
    Ouch, that is 16 tubes... that had to cost a pretty penny ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Got the KT150's yesterday and installed them right away. Out of the box the sound was thin and sterile...just as I expected. I let the system run for most of the day, and after about 6 hours of burn-in the sound was much richer. From that listen, I could tell that the KT150's were better at space, detail and soundstaging than the stock EL34's (all run in triode mode). The EL34's still has an advantage in tonal richness. Despite the KT150's reputation for better bass, I really did not notice that much difference.

I will keep burning them in and see where it takes me. So far I am pleased with the sound so any further improvements with break-in will only be additional icing on a great sounding cake.
    Kevin

Super Moderator

Excellent Kevin! Thank you for the write up. I loved the KT150's in my Jolida. My brother loved it too he went home with it

Let us know of any changes. I am sure by 50-100 hours they will be all settled in.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Okay, listening session #2. The KT150's are terrific. The bass punch and definition is very, very good. Most striking, however, is the increased amount of detail and improved sound staging. Reverb and the acoustic space around vocalists is much easier to perceive. I had listened to Rebecca Pidgeon sing "Spanish Harlem" a hundred times, and until today had never heard the amount of reverb in her vocals. I had no idea it was even there. Also, the three dimensional space in Lionel Ritchie's "All Night Long" is amazing. When the party starts about halfway thru, there is a whole room full of people. Crazy.

Yes, I am happy with this purchase.
    Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

PrimaLuna Amplifiers(or other suggestions)