Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

What tubes doe the Audible Illusions Mod 3 use?

I have the Mod 3 that was stashed away but I want to use it again. The tubes need to be replaced but what tubes do they use? Also 'phase inversion', I hear you should invert the phase, what does that mean? Many thanks.

Super Moderator

Re: What tubes doe the Audible Illusions Mod 3 use?

If you can open it up and look at the tubes that would help, but if I remember correctly it has four 6DJ8/6922 tubes—two for the phono section and two for the line-stage.

http://www.audibleillusions.com/prod...pecifications/

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/69.../6H23n-EB-6922

L3A TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Gain: 30dB, Tape & S/S Processor 0dB
    Distortion: .10% at 1.5V rms, 20-20kHz, into 50kOhm. Less than .12% at 1V out 20-20kHz into IHF load
    Frequency Response: Within +/-1dB 2Hz to 100kHz measured w 1-1 probe/50 kOhms,100pf
    Signal to Noise: 90dB below 1.5V rms output wideband
    Max Input: 9V rms
    Signal Phase: Main Out-Inverting, Tape and S/S Processor-Non Inverting
    Input Impedance: 50kOhm – all
    Output Impedance: Main-1.2 kOhms Tape, S/S Processor-150 Ohms
    Muting: 45 second warm-up and automatic brown-out protection
    Tube Compliment: 2-6H23EB twin-triodes, graded & matched
    Power Requirements: 115-125VAC, 60Hz 45 watt maximum. 6 foot IEC Line Cord-Supplied.
    Optional 100, 220, 230, 240 50-60Hz transformers.
    Dimensions: 19″W x 3.5″H standard rack mount
    Chassis is 17″W x 11″D x 3″H
    Power Supply, 6″W x 10″D x 5″H
    Weight: 19.5 lbs, 24 lbs (shipping wt.)
    Last edited by joeinid; June 5, 2017 at 09:54 PM.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

The Audible Illusions earlier preamps were notoriously hard on tubes so the recommended tube for them is usually the Russian 6h23-EB.
    Most of the earlier stock from the 60-70's pretty much gone unless you get lucky on Ebay.

http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/69.../6H23n-EB-6922
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

Joe is correct on the tube compliment. One piece of advice I can offer you from first hand experience with several versions of AI Modulus preamps is that the circuit used is VERY hard on tubes. Many varieties of fine quality tubes will sound fine for a short time but often then become noisy and/or microphonic. They're known for that, and as such many tube sellers won't even sell their tubes to users of AI Modulus preamps and specify such in their listings. So be careful with your selection of tubes and hopefully get advice from the seller of a specific brand that is known to be well suited for use in that specific preamp. They do sound good though and provide a real value when matched with appropriate tubes.

Super Moderator

The NOS 6H23P-EB (Premium) tube is a very noticeable upgrade over the Sovtek 6922 tube and Electro Harmonix 6922 tube. They are incredibly durable and can handle the punishment of modern pre-amps, including those made by Audible Illusions. They excel in detail, speed, and soundstage. The highs have air and sound natural.

This premium Russian built NOS 6922 tube replacement is also known by various Russian names, including 6N23n-EB, 6H23N-EB and 6N23. These are the hard to find NOS (new old stock) of premium quality in both sound and construction.

The 6922 / 6DJ8 tube type is equivalent to the European ECC88 / E88CC tube and can be used in any 6922, 6DJ8 or ECC88 circuit.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

JPM

This may be just about as good a deal as you will find on these tubes from a US based seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-6H23-6N2...gAAOSwHptY~4zf

What amp are you going to match the AI with?
    Main - JVC QL-Y7/Denon DL-301 Mk II, Gold Note PH-10, Jays CDT3 Mk3 , Auralic Aries G2.2, Holo May KTE, Supratek Cabernet, Kinki Studio EX-B7 monoblocks, Verity Audio Otello, (2) Rythmik F12SE, Audio Envy IC, SC & PC's, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Inakustik USB and I2S, (2) Puritan Audio Labs PSM-156 with Groundmaster City, Timbernation rack

Family Room - Oppo UDP-203, Auralic Aries, Aqua La Voce S3, Kinki Studio EX-M1+, Nola KO, (2) Rythmik F-12G, Wireworld SC & IC's, Neotech PC's, SurgeX SA-1810

Greenville, SC- Jays CDT2 Mk 3, Auralic Aries G1, Holo Spring 3 KTE, Supratek Chardonnay, Odyssey Audio Kismet Reference, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra 2, (2) RSL Speedwoofers, iFi Audio Power Station, Wireworld IC's, Inakustik USB and I2s, Triode Wire Lab SC, Triode Wire Lab PC's, Furutech NCF Clear Line, Timbernation rack.

The preamp is the Audible Illusions Mod 3A which I believe is their last model. I will be putting it on my VTL Renaissance S 70/70 to my Spendor SP 100s speakers.

[QUOTE=Jack;206586]JPM
    From Dick Olsher's review of the L3A in 2016:

Then, in the mid-1980s, Art discovered the Russian 6H23n-EB, really a premium version of the 6922. Not only is it a good-sounding triode, but it also happens to be rugged, exceptionally linear, low in microphonics, and, according to Art, very stable in his zero-feedback tube designs. Subsequently, all of AI’s Series 3 preamps since 1989 have this Russian tube installed in the linestage. Note that AI no longer recommends Russian-branded (e.g., Sovtek) 6922s due to poor quality control. AI will continue to use NOS Russian-military 6H23n-EB tubes until AI’s Russian distributor can no longer supply them, at which time Art says he will probably switch to the Russian 6H30 tube.

If I read Dick right, the NOS Russian-military 6H23n-EB tubes are STOCK in the AI gear (since 1989), so I'm not understanding recommendations here to look for them to do some tube rolling.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum gareneau, thank you for joining.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Happy to be here, Joe, and thanks for the nice greeting. Do I have it right, that the tube rolling recommendation is moot as the 6H23n-EB tube comes as stock? Or am I missing something? I own the AI M3B and am looking to get a little more emotion out of the preamp, consequently my interest in the thread.

Super Moderator

Happy to have you here.

According to the website, Tube Compliment: 2-6H23EB twin-triodes, graded & matched, come standard. I hope someone else will join in and make any recommendations for substitutes. I think you don't have many options as the preamp seems hard on tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by gareneau View Post
    Happy to be here, Joe, and thanks for the nice greeting. Do I have it right, that the tube rolling recommendation is moot as the 6H23n-EB tube comes as stock? Or am I missing something? I own the AI M3B and am looking to get a little more emotion out of the preamp, consequently my interest in the thread.

NAD C 658 streamer.

Mullard CV2493 tubes if you can find them and/or afford them. About the toughest/sound quality 6DJ8/6922/7308 tube I have ever found.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

What tubes doe the Audible Illusions Mod 3 use?