Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Purchased a Lumin D1.... Digital out?

I recently purchased a Lumin D1, to replace my Bluesound Node 2. My D1 will be arriving this week, and to prepare for its arrival I had already ordered cables to connect it to my MAC6700. I wanted to try every connection type possible to see what I preferred, so I ordered analog unbalanced cables and analog balanced cables. My question is does anyone know what kind of cable the Lumins digital out would use? I have a feeling I'm going to end up using one of the analog outs, thinking the DAC in the Lumin is probably better then the DAC in my McIntosh, but in the off chance I prefer the sound of the Mc doing the converting, I have no idea what kind of digital cable the Lumin accepts. On the McIntosh the digital ins are optical or a rca style plug. Thank you for the help in advance!
    Hegel P30 pre amp, Hegel H20 power amp, Focal Sopra No. 1 speakers, Dual JL Audio Fathom F110v2 subs, Lumin D1 streamer/DAC, Rega RP8 turntable, Lehmann Audio Decade phono pre amp

Super Moderator

Re: Purchased a Lumin D1.... Digital out?

The D1 offers a BNC out.

You can order an RCA spdif to BNC from Bluejeans cable to experiment. I bought one and it works great for the BNC on the Lumin.

• BNC SPDIF:

• PCM 44.1kHz-192kHz, 16-24bit
      • DSD (DoP, DSD over PCM) 2.8MHz, 1bit
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Generally analog balanced XLR cable is recommended for Lumin since Lumin uses a true balanced design.

Lumin D1 has a BNC-SPDIF digital output. If you already have a standard SPDIF cable, it should be possible to use it with a BNC-RCA converter.

When/If you have tried different connections, I'd love to know your findings.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Don't dismiss the built in Lumin dac especially if you have an upgraded power supply.
    AMP/Preamp/Speakers: Kef LS50 Wireless, Lumin D1, Cayin scd50T sacd, Technics 1200 Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP Laptop, LH Labs VI Infinity, Cables: Wireworld Eclipse & Silver IC, Platinum USB. W4S recovery.

I forgot to mention, if you up sample to dsd, the coax will not work. You have to bring it down to 96k
    AMP/Preamp/Speakers: Kef LS50 Wireless, Lumin D1, Cayin scd50T sacd, Technics 1200 Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP Laptop, LH Labs VI Infinity, Cables: Wireworld Eclipse & Silver IC, Platinum USB. W4S recovery.

I'd like to thank everyone for the responses. I did order my D1 along with a SBooster BOTW power supply, and after seeing the factory one I completely understand why they recommended an after market one. I've tried Balanced XLR and digital out, with comparable quality cables, and have come to find I prefer the sound of the balanced XLR. Seems to sound a little cleaner and have more separation letting the Lumin do the converting, and just sending the analog signal to my McIntosh
    Hegel P30 pre amp, Hegel H20 power amp, Focal Sopra No. 1 speakers, Dual JL Audio Fathom F110v2 subs, Lumin D1 streamer/DAC, Rega RP8 turntable, Lehmann Audio Decade phono pre amp

I use the digital out on the D1 into a Bakoon DAC-21.

The DAC-21 is clearly superior to the D1 dac.

I'm currently using a BNC adapter, but I will getting a BNC digital cable.

In my experience using an RCA digital cable with a BNC adapter degrades performance.

Quote Originally Posted by vert View Post
    I use the digital out on the D1 into a Bakoon DAC-21.

The DAC-21 is clearly superior to the D1 dac.

I'm currently using a BNC adapter, but I will getting a BNC digital cable.

In my experience using an RCA digital cable with a BNC adapter degrades performance.
    Just curious, are you looking to use a 75ohm or 50ohm BNC cable?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince11281 View Post
    Just curious, are you looking to use a 75ohm or 50ohm BNC cable?
    75ohm BNC to BNC cable.

Looks like Lumin is switching to an internal switching power supply for the D1.

Ouch. I use the digital out on the D1 and it sounds very good.

I also use a linear power supply with it.

Too bad all the new owners will be stuck with a switching power supply.

oh wow, I didn't hear that yet... I use a SBooster BOTW power supply with mine

Yes, after the currently available units of Lumin D1 are sold, future production will switch to an internal switched power supply, because Lumin has received customer feedback saying having an external power supply for D1 is inconvenient, and they prefer an internal power supply. Using an internal switched power supply would mean eliminating the possibility of convenient external LPS upgrade.

This production change does not apply to other models in the Lumin product line.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Purchased a Lumin D1.... Digital out?