Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Magico M6

Audioshark

Re: Magico M6

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Do you know if the Maggies in the discussion has the 4 xtra bass Panels ...??

Is the M6 the model to compete with the Wamm's ...?
    I think so. JV did post about his listening impressions here:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...aker-part-one/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Mike,

I don’t doubt that the Magico M6’s will strongly challenge for best speakers in the world. But what really surprised me was the Magnepan 30.7’s are in the same ballpark as the M6’s at one-fifth the price. Truly an amazing accomplishment by Magnepan. I wish I had space for a pair!

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post

BTW what is Ian using for amplification ...
    CAT JL7 monblocks, CAT Legend preamp.
    Speakers: Magico M-Project w/MPods
    Amps: CAT Legend -> CAT JL7s
    Analog: Kronos Pro Limited Edition / Black Beauty tonearm / Zyx Universe Premium, Ortofon A95
    Digital: Roon->Vivaldi DAC/Upsampler
    Cables/Power: Kubala Sosna Elation ICs & SCs / Shunyata Denali 6000T & PC's / Furutech outlets

Audioshark

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Here are some excerpts from the author's visit to Magico, courtesy of Google Translate:

The sound room is very, very, very quiet where you can not hear any noise. Alon first played Pathway on Track 2 of the "Marilyn Mazur - Elixir" by ECM. Marilyn Mazur was born in New York and lived in Denmark at age six. Mainly percussionist (drummer), pianist and composer. At the very beginning of the track, the drum sounds give people a very special sense of atmosphere and space, and can feel the acoustics of this space very well. The entire space of the reverberation is natural and the sound field is complete so that I can clearly understand To M6's voice performance, M6's low frequency can actually be so textured, and there is the extension of the details of the reverberation, M6 really loud speaker technology brought to a new realm, even more surprising is that the real metal percussion Feel like someone in the field is as true as the percussion, I can even easily point out the exact location of the percussion, the positioning is very precise!

Listen to the Canadian singer "Holly Cole - Night", Track 10 If You Go Away, from this song strongly felt Alon M6 adjustment is in place, can be said to be very precise, Aaron Davis piano transparent texture without any barrier, The transparency of the system makes one feel like being in a recording site. The sound of Holly Cole's voice is full of charm and charm. David Piltch's Double Bass has the strum and detail of his life. The three years of tacit agreement have long since become totally natural. I found that the size of the sound field Alon also control the adjustment is very good, the relative proportions of the various musicians and vocals is very clear, M6 complete record of the sound of the perfect reproduction of the signal reproduced, so fax, vivid.

Alon's selections really make a difference, playing two songs that I've seen so enchanted, followed by Four Verses / Continuation of track Avishai Cohen / Duende (with Nitai Hershkovits), Track 3, Avishai Cohen, an Israeli bass player Is performed in concert with the pianist Nitai Hershkovits duo. I think Alon deliberately let me experience the purity of the M6. The two instruments are beautiful and each other's "dialogue" is wonderful. People forget the sound in front of them and are completely intoxicated In such a wonderful performance, who said both acoustics and musicality can not have both?

Then Alon took me to the concert hall to play Charles Dutoit's Orchestre symphonique de Montréal on Shostakovich Symphony No. 15, first movement: Allegretto, I seem to be sitting in front of the concert hall in the best position, whether in the orchestra is tiny details, the strength of the dynamic contrast, M6 are easy to show the orchestra, let me listen to mesmerizing, the beginning of the flute, Bassoon tube gradually brought out the theme of each instrument to join, the continuous development of strings, percussion, and then back to the beginning and the end of the brass band ensemble, is so enjoyable, and this is one of the significance of the existence of the top audio, Take us back to the scene of the time can not participate.
    Jon

From the same visit:

What is sound? In real life, we hear two people talking, although the sound is the same size, but we can clearly recognize the difference between two people's voice, that is, the sound is different. Sound system, the tone of the ability to distinguish is good to judge the system is good or bad indicators, the more you can easily hear the sound characteristics of each instrument, representing the system's ability to restore the better, the more stringent test, for example, the same The album has four different Double Bass performances, if your system can easily hear the four Double Bass difference, on behalf of the system sound the better the discrimination. Last but not least, Alon plays the British rock band Dire Straits - On Every Street, the eighth track of the Iron Hand. Although there is no complicated instrument for this track, you can feel the voice of lead singer Mark Knopfler magnetically and emotionally. Superb guitar accompaniment, recording deliberately increased the proportion of human voice, drum tension, the extension of low-frequency rhyme!

This time listening to the Magico M6 gave me a new understanding of the regenerative power and the significance of the High End sound. There are too many wonderful performances we can not attend. The recording saves the music, the audio replays the recording, Continuous improvement, recording and audio products are constantly improving, undeniably High End audio Because it is niche market, small-scale production has created soaring prices in recent years, however, if you hear the same with me Magico M6 The sound that can bring about, can understand why there is still a lot of people hard to persist in this field, if a set of audio can let us experience experience, that is invaluable, Magico M6 is absolutely there A pair of speakers of strength!

What is the origin of Magico's name? I think a lot of people like me, like Magic Magic, actually came from ECM 1980 album "Magico" by Charlie Haden, Jan Garbarek, guitarist Egberto Gismonti Playing, it seems Alon really loves ECM music.
    Jon

Hi Jon,

Great to hear from you! Are you contemplating the M6 for your system? They sounded really fine on the YouTube videos from the Tokyo Show.

Best,
    Ken
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Yes, I’m planning to buy the pair Mike was going to put out in his garage. He said he’d probably only use them while he was washing his truck, so I figure the price will be pretty good.
    Jon

I spent an hour listening to the M6s with Soulution amps and top of the line Esoteric cd and dac.
    I have simply never been so immersed in the music. The equipment simply disappeared.

Without wanting to sound too esoteric it was a totally spiritual experience eliciting tears and gasps and much swearing... I am rarely amazed. But the Soulution and the M6s gave it all. All you could possibly want. And I’m returning home questioning all I have learned over the past 25 years of audiophile pleasure. This one has broken all the rules....

In what location did you hear the M6's?

I spent an hour listening to the M6s with Soulution amps and top of the line Esoteric cd and dac.
    I have simply never been so immersed in the music.
    Le Roy

Austin, Tx : Soulution 520 preamp, 501 mono blocks, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D3.1, Lumin U1, Uptone Audio Modded Mac Mini w/ MMK fanless kit & JS-2 LPS, Regen, Ansuz DTC loom (complete), Oppo 105D, QNAP TS-451+

Chicagoland : Soulution 725 preamp, 711 stereo amp, 541 SACD/560 DAC w/ Network Streaming, Raidho D5.1, Naim UnitiServe 2TB, Aurender W-20 Ansuz DTC later generation wire, Teac X1000 R2R, QNAP TS-451+

Foundation:
    Raidho Rack system, Ansuz DTC Mainz8, Ansuz (2) Supreme Mainz D8 Distribution, 20 amp dedicated outlets via subpanel

Quote Originally Posted by Odyssey View Post
    In what location did you hear the M6's?

I have simply never been so immersed in the music.
    Wasn’t that in Paris? I can’t remember where I saw the photo.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Wasn’t that in Paris? I can’t remember where I saw the photo.

Ken
    Guess this was from this event: http://presence-audio.com/evenements...iere-magico-m6
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Yes I popped I in to Presence Audio (as I do when I’m in paris) and was invited in to a private audition. Astounding, astonishing, mesmerizing and most importantly beyond Hi-Fi... a real visceral three dimensional experience

still coming down from my impromptu M6 audition. i've created a micro youtube video of my all too short experience in the presence of these jewels

https://youtu.be/X3NOOKmJf3I

How come Magico is showcasing the S3 MkII at CES not the M6? Just wondering.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Boggy View Post
    How come Magico is showcasing the S3 MkII at CES not the M6? Just wondering.
    Nobody is at CES!! LOL.

Hopefully we will see the M6 at Axpona.

I'm surprised that Magico is even at CES.
    Jock

If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.

---------

House: Naim ND555/2PS, Naim 552, Naim 500, Studer A80/Doshi V3, Magico M2s, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Lumina IC/SC, Shunyata Everest and Omega PCs.

Workshop: Naim ND555/2 PS, VAC Master Pre, VAC Sig 200iQ, Border Patrol pre/power, Avant Garde Duo Mezzo XD, 2 Magico Q-Sub 15s, Shunyata IC/SC, Shunyata Typhon QR/Triton V3/Sigma PCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nobody is at CES!! LOL.

Hopefully we will see the M6 at Axpona.

I have heard the same statement from European manufacturers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by jussy1254 View Post
    still coming down from my impromptu M6 audition. i've created a micro youtube video of my all too short experience in the presence of these jewels

https://youtu.be/X3NOOKmJf3I
    What song / artist is playing during the demo?

Quote Originally Posted by john1970 View Post
    What song / artist is playing during the demo?
    it is BIA "la memoire du vent"

Well, in fact it is Youn Sun Nah - Calypso Blues - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=236PCiS95iM

LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Golum View Post
    Great read indeed.

Thank you...great read!

Given how good the M3s sounded to me when I heard them in December both with and without QSubs (turned them
    off after 1 hour, they were not needed!), I can only imagine how great the M6s must be!
    Legacy Audio Valor+Wavelet v2, Esoteric S-02 Amps HDPlex 300W, RevAudio Labs DC Umbilical, Esoteric Grandioso P1, P1PSU & dual D1 DACs, Cybershaft Prem Ltd OP21A 10 MHz Clock, Esoteric C-02X, Shunyata Everest 8000 & Altaira SG-NR hubs, Sigma SGC/CGC ground cables, VTX-Ag ground tails, AfterBurner8 duplexes, CSP Inc Q4B, S2B IEC plates, Shunyata Omega CLOCK-50 cables, Tubulus Concentus HDMI, Elrod Master Series Diamond SE & Masters Series Gold Power cords and Statement Gold XLRs, Diamond XLRs & Master Series Diamond XLRs, Shunyata OMEGA QR-s power cable, Anaconda Z-tron XLR, Elrod Statement Gold speaker cables, Adona Zero GX3, GX2, GX racks, Composite Audio CF-2010, Townshend Audio Podiums, HRS DPX Damping Plates, Stillpoints Ultra SS w/Ultra Bases, pArtScience 64-well, 2D QRD 3-inch SpaceArray Diffusors

Travel/Rip: Apple MacBook Pro 16” 2023 M2 Max, 12-core CPU, 38-core GPU, 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD for Audirvana+ v3, iTunes, REW Audio Analyzer, dbPowerAmp, DVD Audio Extractor

Just thought some members on this Forum might enjoy this video featuring M6 and Centaur II amps from Hifi Live show in UK last month.

https://youtu.be/zWtOgXaV-fk

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Just thought some members on this Forum might enjoy this video featuring M6 and Centaur II amps from Hifi Live show in UK last month.

https://youtu.be/zWtOgXaV-fk
    Thanks. I'm surprised that they did not use the turntable sitting right next to the CD player for at least one track.
    Link to my system thread: https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threa...l-sound.32867/
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Electronics: Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe, Lamm LL1.1 Signature, Lamm ML2
    Speakers: Vitavox CN-191 corner horns
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Thanks. I'm surprised that they did not use the turntable sitting right next to the CD player for at least one track.
    Is that George Michaels they are listening too?

yes, it was.

I had the pleasure of listening to the M6’s at a dealer event a few weeks ago. They are probably the best loudspeakers I’ve ever heard in terms of transparency, scale and musicality. They have the speed of the best planar speakers with the power and bass response of the best dynamic speakers. They are one of the few speakers I’ve heard that can replicate a live orchestra at concert volume levels. Their soundstage has impressive height, width and depth with pinpoint image accuracy. Bass is a purely visceral experience with wonderful texture and articulation.

Ken

I had the pleasure of listening to the M6’s at a dealer event a few weeks ago. They are probably the best loudspeakers I’ve ever heard in terms of transparency, scale and musicality. They have the speed of the best planar speakers with the power and bass response of the best dynamic speakers. They are one of the few speakers I’ve heard that can replicate a live orchestra at concert volume levels. Their soundstage has impressive height, width and depth with pinpoint image accuracy. Bass is a purely visceral experience with wonderful texture and articulation.

Ken
    Many thanks for the feedback. May I ask what was the full system including cables etc?

Ken
    To me this is the holy grail for speakers. So the M6s sound completely boxless?

Has anyone compared the M6 to the Rockport Lyra? Similar in price/size with 2 completely inert cabinets im told.

Dave
    Speaker: Rockport Avior & Mira, B&W 803 D
    Amp: Nagra HD Monos, McIntosh Mc303 & 601
    Pre: Nagra HD pre
    Source: Esoteric K-01X & G-01, Aurender W20
    Cable: Transparent Ref Gen 5 SC & Ref XL PC
    Grounding: Tripoint Elite, Thor SE, Emperor Mkii

Quote Originally Posted by ashandger View Post
    Many thanks for the feedback. May I ask what was the full system including cables etc?
    The system was the Esoteric Grandioso K1 Player/DAC and G1 Master Clock; Grandioso C1 Preamp; and Grandioso M1 Monoblock Amps. The cables were Cardas Clear Beyond.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by wgerman View Post
    To me this is the holy grail for speakers. So the M6s sound completely boxless?
    Completely boxless. The Magnepan 30.7 were optimally set up in another room and I went over for awhile and listened to them on Pass Labs X-600.8’s. The M6’s sounded more like planar speakers in terms of speed, soundstage and boxlessness than the planars! Except that the M6’s had tremendous weight in the bass and images that were placed with pinpoint accuracy. The M6’s beat the 30.7’s significantly in every single category. They are on a different planet.

Ken

The system was the Esoteric Grandioso K1 Player/DAC and G1 Master Clock; Grandioso C1 Preamp; and Grandioso M1 Monoblock Amps. The cables were Cardas Clear Beyond.

Ken
    Was this at Overture in DE? If so , I guess that since they are no longer a Spectral dealer that their reference in solid state electronics is now the Esoteric Grandioso line.

You heard two completely different systems and you concluded that the M6s are better than the 30.7s? Whatever happened to keeping all other parameters the same...
    - VPI Aries 3, custom suspension & platter interface; VPI JMW 10.5i - magnetically stabilized; Ortofon Verismo; VPI SDS speed controller​. Pass XP-25 - modded & fully shielded + Tubulus umbilical
    - Magnum Dynalab MD-90SE/105
    - Spectral 4000SV
    - Spectral DMC-30SV, Spectral DMA-500AR
    - Custom MartinLogan hybrids, REL Stadium III sub - modded
    - MIT MA-X phono,90.1 speaker - shielded; Shunyata Everest, Alpha v2 NR, Sigma XC, Alpha v3 CGC
    - Isodamp, mumetal, 3M AB5100, Carbon Fiber sheets, Dynamat, Copper foil; Vishay diodes, resistors; Mundorf crossover coils & capacitors; custom electrostatic step-up transformers

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by ack View Post
    You heard two completely different systems and you concluded that the M6s are better than the 30.7s? Whatever happened to keeping all other parameters the same...
    The 30.7’s are stinkers. Not sure what else there is to know.

Yes. Both sets of speakers were in optimally sized rooms and paired with synergistic components to sound their very best. Your method of comparison would result in compromised performance for one set or both sets of speakers.

The 30.7’s were well set up with the proper components in the dealer’s “Magnepan Room”, which has historically brought out the best sound for this brand. They sounded excellent. But the M6’s were head and shoulders above them in every way in my opinion. They are on an entirely different level as well they should be with the price difference.

Ken

Ken, What were the differences between the two rooms and how the speakers were set up in their respective rooms? There must be a brand of electronics that would work well with both speakers, perhaps Spectral/MIT, but there are no dealers who carry both Spectral and the M6 as far as I know. I do wonder what the M6s would sound like with the Pass amps.
    Analog: Micro Seiki SX 8000 II, 2 NOS SME 3012R tonearms, 2 vdH Colibri Grand Cru, Colibri XPP
    Cables: Stock SME phono cables, DIY ICs and speaker cables, Ching Cheng power cords, custom rack and amp stands

Quote Originally Posted by mdp632 View Post
    Was this at Overture in DE? If so , I guess that since they are no longer a Spectral dealer that their reference in solid state electronics is now the Esoteric Grandioso line.
    Correct and correct. They were so busy with all their other listening rooms that they actually let me run the Grandioso/M6 demo for the entire event. It was a lot of fun.

Ken

Yes. Both sets of speakers were in optimally sized rooms and paired with synergistic components to sound their very best. Your method of comparison would result in compromised performance for one set or both sets of speakers.

The 30.7’s were well set up with the proper components in the dealer’s “Magnepan Room”, which has historically brought out the best sound for this brand. They sounded excellent. But the M6’s were head and shoulders above them in every way in my opinion. They are on an entirely different level as well they should be with the price difference.

Ken
    So the Pass X600's are synergistic with Magnepans, but not optimal. And consequently, the quality of sources - both different, apparently - doesn't really matter. Did it occur to anyone that perhaps each system was put together based on both sonic merit AND comparable price to the speakers demo'd? And that other than that, they can only be compared as systems, not just speakers? You also say the 30.7's sound "excellent", Mike says they are "stinkers" but I bet he's kidding.
    - VPI Aries 3, custom suspension & platter interface; VPI JMW 10.5i - magnetically stabilized; Ortofon Verismo; VPI SDS speed controller​. Pass XP-25 - modded & fully shielded + Tubulus umbilical
    - Spectral 4000SV
    - MIT MA-X phono,90.1 speaker - shielded; Shunyata Everest, Alpha v2 NR, Sigma XC, Alpha v3 CGC
    - Isodamp, mumetal, 3M AB5100, Carbon Fiber sheets, Dynamat, Copper foil; Vishay diodes, resistors; Mundorf crossover coils & capacitors; custom electrostatic step-up transformers

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Ken, What were the differences between the two rooms and how the speakers were set up in their respective rooms? There must be a brand of electronics that would work well with both speakers, perhaps Spectral/MIT, but there are no dealers who carry both Spectral and the M6 as far as I know. I do wonder what the M6s would sound like with the Pass amps.
    Hi Peter,

The main difference was the size of the two rooms and the bass traps and tube traps. I had previously heard the 30.7’s in their big room (approx. 30’ x 20’) and they sounded terrible, even though they had removed a substantial number of the tube and bass traps. The room was just too large and the 30.7’s sounded lifeless with no bass. In their smaller Magnepan room (approx. 22’ x 15’) that had only modest treatments, bass response was ideal and the 30.7’s came to life. Speaker placement was nearer to the sidewalls to get increased bass response.

The M6’s had no issues filling the big room with plentiful bass with the full compliment of tube and bass traps in place. Sound quality was ideal. Speaker placement was pretty standard. They were previously running the M6’s on the Pass X-600.8’s. They said the M6’s sounded better on the Grandioso gear.

Ken

So the Pass X600's are synergistic with Magnepans, but not optimal. And consequently, the quality of sources - both different, apparently - doesn't really matter. Did it occur to anyone that perhaps each system was put together based on both sonic merit AND comparable price to the speakers demo'd? And that other than that, they can only be compared as systems, not just speakers? You also say the 30.7's sound "excellent", Mike says they are "stinkers" but I bet he's kidding.
    Who said the Magnepan 30.7’s setup was not optimal? I said the room setup in the Magnepan Room was optimal and they sounded excellent. I have listened to the Magnepan 30.7’s in two different rooms on the ARC Ref 160M’s and the Pass X-600.8’s. In my opinion, the sonic performance of the 30.7’s is not in the same ballpark as the M6’s. And I’ve always been a big Magnepan fan and have owned them too. I suggest you listen for yourself if you doubt my conclusions.

Ken

Who said the Magnepan 30.7’s setup was not optimal? I said the room setup in the Magnepan Room was optimal and they sounded excellent. I have listened to the Magnepan 30.7’s in two different rooms on the ARC Ref 160M’s and the Pass X-600.8’s. In my opinion, the sonic performance of the 30.7’s is not in the same ballpark as the M6’s. And I’ve always been a big Magnepan fan and have owned them too. I suggest you listen for yourself if you doubt my conclusions.

Ken
    Fascinating way to tell one speaker from another: just set them up in different systems and rooms, with what is subjectively synergistic and optimal components, sources apparently do not matter, and evidently if the X600's are optimal on the Magnepans, the better Pass amps would not be - or do we have "optimal" and then "more optimal"?
    - Spectral 4000SV

Fascinating way to tell one speaker from another: just set them up in different systems and rooms, with what is subjectively synergistic components, sources apparently do not matter, and evidently if the X600's are optimal on the Magnepans, the better Pass amps would not be - or do we have "optimal" and then "more optimal"?
    I suggest you go to the dealer and try both pairs of speakers on the same components in the same listening room and then report back to us with your findings. IMO, there are no components on the planet that could close that gap in performance.

Ken

Hi Peter,

The main difference was the size of the two rooms and the bass traps and tube traps. I had previously heard the 30.7’s in their big room (approx. 30’ x 20’) and they sounded terrible, even though they had removed a substantial number of the tube and bass traps. The room was just too large and the 30.7’s sounded lifeless with no bass. In their smaller Magnepan room (approx. 22’ x 15’) that had only modest treatments, bass response was ideal and the 30.7’s came to life. Speaker placement was nearer to the sidewalls to get increased bass response.

The M6’s had no issues filling the big room with plentiful bass with the full compliment of tube and bass traps in place. Sound quality was ideal. Speaker placement was pretty standard. They were previously running the M6’s on the Pass X-600.8’s. They said the M6’s sounded better on the Grandioso gear.

Ken
    Thank you Ken, and thanks for your report. Sounds like you had a fun day and heard a tremendous system. It is fascinating how room size and acoustic treatment can so affect sonics for different speaker typologies. I agree with you that the best way to form opinions is to do your own evaluations. I was not aware that any dealers actually have the M6. I thought potential customers were simply encouraged to visit the Magico factory and hear the speaker in that setting.

How many of you guys have already listened to the M6 and with what amps?
    What do you think would be a really good match for them? Since there are some of you using M3 with D`Agostino M400, do you think the Dags would be as great with the M6?

I would assume the M6s sound great with any adequate amplification. Depends on personal preferences what gets the nod.

Heard them in Munich with Soulution. Digital was phenomenal, vinyl was mind bogglingly good.

After that session I was basically done with the show. No use to roam any further, as anything else sounded inadequate.
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    ...Digital was phenomenal, vinyl was mind bogglingly good..
    Ummm, translated means, which was better?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M6