FOURTH COMPARISON
    Comparison of different DACs

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Chord DAVE , Belcanto Dac 3.7 , Auralic Aries vs Aurender : Comparison

The purpose of the testing was
    1. To know whether my spendings were out of purpose
    2. Share my experience and have your opinion
    3. In no case , i have some vested in the stuffs here , neither am I a reviewer
    Tracks used for testing (CD tracks ripped via dbpoweramp to Flac uncompressed)
    1. Adele : Set fire in the rain
    2. Massive attack : Blue line (Bass)
    3. Gossip : Heavy cross
    4. Rodrigo y Gabriela : Live in Japan : Take five
    5. Ella & Louis : April in Paris
    6. Sia : Chandelier (Piano version)
    7. Hugh Masakela : Stimela : Drums , fine recording
    8. Nils Lofgren : Keith don’t go
    9. Daft Punk : Giorgio Moroder
    FIRST COMPARISON
    Aurender N100 H v/s Auralic + MelcoN1A combination VIA USB to Chord DAVE
    The Aurender just sounds really pleasant to listen to .. let's say tube like
    The details are there , without the edgy part of it
    Great pleasure for listening
    The Chord Dave is a detailed beast , without being a pain for the ears , fast , and shoe tapping
    Enters , the auralic aries , wihich clearly sounds different
    Detailed , but there is something missing .. less pleasure for listening
    Heavy cross , and Chandelier sound a bit bright

SECOND COMPARISON
    How is the USB input of the DAVE ?
    Comparing Aries vs Aurender vs Melco Alone in USB
    From whant I have read , on forums etc , the USB inputs of DACs are the parts which tend to be the weak points
    My question was whether the Chord was different
    The melco is known to be having a really isolated USB output
    And I just connected the Melco to the USB input of the Dave
    I controlled the Melco , via Bubble uPnp (in mode 1)
    WOW effect .. the MELCO simply delivers music in a detailed , yet smooth way to the DAVE
    It's on the opposite of the Aurender in terms of presentation , to the point of a thought whereby the Aurender was a good buy
    But I won't be able to choose betwwen the Aurender and the Melco / JUST because of the missing app , the Aurender condutor app being really nice to play with
    I guess that it's just a question of how you like music
    BUT in this equation , the Melco , for me is a great value for money
    But this comparison does not give me an idea of whether the Chord has a good USB input
    All that I can listen , is a clearer and detailed sound from the melco
    THIRD COMPARISON
    Auralic Aries with DAVE via AES
    Auralic Aries with DAVE via USB
    Do they sound different ?
    This is the comparison that hurts
    Initially , I was in the way of selling the Auralic , because I was enjoying the music via the Aurender , and lastly the Melco is a very very good usp player
    BUT THIS TIME , I am lost
    I bought a basic Analysis Plus AES EBU cable
    PLugged it into the Auralic and the DAVE
    WOW , great great sound
    No way going back to the Aurender
    Everything is detailed , better soundstage , smooth without any harshness
    pon , some googling , it came out that the Dave had a very good AES EBU .. or was it the USB input which is less interesting
    The Auralic shoud stay , or go for something with is supposed to be a better drive

FOURTH COMPARISON
    This is just for the sake of comparing
    The DAVE is still a unbeatable for my ears , there's nothing to criticise about it
    Fun , smooth detailed , instrument separation second to none
    The DDDAC is the DAC of a great versatility , especially sounding full with the Sowter
    The BC DAC 3.7 is an upgrade , and sad to say that it's not to my taste . It is powered with the LNS , and yelds to some nice music , good soundstage (bettering the DDDAC) ...but there is something missing
    However , the BC Dac 3.7 sounds in a different league to the Eximus in terms of soundstage and detail
    I can easily live with both the Eximus and the BC , the former being a good headphone amplifier (and good pre amp)

That's it folks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zaheer View Post

FOURTH COMPARISON
    This is just for the sake of comparing
    The DAVE is still a unbeatable for my ears , there's nothing to criticise about it
    Fun , smooth detailed , instrument separation second to none
    The DDDAC is the DAC of a great versatility , especially sounding full with the Sowter
    The BC DAC 3.7 is an upgrade , and sad to say that it's not to my taste . It is powered with the LNS , and yelds to some nice music , good soundstage (bettering the DDDAC) ...but there is something missing
    However , the BC Dac 3.7 sounds in a different league to the Eximus in terms of soundstage and detail
    I can easily live with both the Eximus and the BC , the former being a good headphone amplifier (and good pre amp)

That's it folks
    In the title you list the BEL Canto as one of the DACs to compare. However, you only list it at the end. Is this because the BC is your current reference?

Also, it is not quite clear what the BC's sound qualities are compared to each of the others.
    Caelin Gabriel
    President
    Shunyata Research

Post Thanks / Like

Hello
    Initially I had the old DAC 3 .. then ,recently I had it uopgraded to the DAC 3.7 , with LNS
    The Chord dave is special , and no words enough to describe it's musicality
    Since I bought the Dave , I have had no complaints . Everything is there with the most extraordinary thing being the sound stage
    The Belcanto is NOT with the VBL , so it might be not optimal
    I am not so good in sound description , but I'll give an idea
    Compared to the DAVE , I have the impression that the BC is as detailed and smooth , but lacks something : It resembles the sensation of driving a Golf GTi hile the Chord Dave gives an idea of driving a Mercedes GLE or S Class AMG
    The BC is half priced compared to the DAVE , and this has to be taken into account
    If I had to choose , I would have prefered the DDDAC , by far , and for the value for money
    Hope that my answer helps , and sorry for not being as precise as a reviewer
    Cheers

5. Thanks audio.bill, CGabriel thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello again
    The idea behind the post was more into comparing the Aurender N100h , and the Auralic : Both in USB
    To summarize:
    I prefer music being played via Melco acting as hard drive , directly connected to the Aries , the latter is used via AES EBU
    If USB is the prefered option ; I'd have some trouble choosing between Melco and Aurender , in terms of sound ...BUT BUT the Aurender has a very very good app on IOS while the Melco does not have a dedicated and flawless app
    Cheers

7. Thanks audio.bill thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

so pleased to see you use belles mb200 , I had for a number of years and really enjoyed . dave makes some fine amps . I was well impressed by the vto1 hybrid pre

now comparing the bel canto dac 3.7 without the vbl is definitely less than optimal . its designed to be used with it . and of course it is around half the cost of a dave which seems to attract a lot of love

many of my friends make and use the ddac dac , it is pretty good . I have had one here to compare to my bc 3.5 mark one and yes it was better sonically a bit but I love my bc for its robustness , connectivity , bombproof design and overall user friendliness
    modwright 36.5dm . msb s200 . Marantz sa8005, bel canto 3.5 vbs , bel canto fm1 tuner . proac 125 speakers

Post Thanks / Like

Hello My friend
    Yeah , I had to switch to the belles , following the damage on one of the Icon Audios (I plan to travel to Leicester in July for repairs)
    The Belcanto is not bad at all , but again I think about the cost price
    With the retail price known , I would easily go for the DDDAC
    The DDDAC is just like the Icon audio MB845 : analogue sounding .. great fun to listen to
    The DAC 3.7 , is smooth .. nice , but lacks the 'enjoyment of the DDDAC'
    From what I read , the VBL gives better sound stage and black noiseless background
    Cheers mate

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Hello
    I 'll pen down my views on the Lumin U1
    Just bought one .. seems very very good
    Cheers

12. Likes Ritmo liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Zaheer, I love mine.
    Joe

JOB 250 Monoblocks, Job INTegrated, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Ayre MX-R Twenty monos, Ayre KX-R Twenty, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Lumin U1. PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II, McIntosh MC303, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier.

14. Thanks Zaheer thanked for this post
    Likes Zaheer liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast