Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: New Wilson Benesch Resolution Speakers

Great review of the Resolutions over on Audiobeat. I'd concur with a lot of Roy Gregory's views.

Good review by Roy G as usual. I haven't spent a lot of time with Resolutions, but I've yet to hear a WB product that wasn't up to the task. The combo of WB and CH is nothing short of spectacular. Highest Recommendation......
    Turntables: Acoustic Signature Invictus Jr. NEO, Grand Prix Monaco V3.0
    Tonearms: Acoustic Signature TA-9000 NEO, Kuzma Safir
    Cartridges: Miyabi Fuuga, Ortofon Century, Murashino Sumile Mono
    Phono Amplifiers: CH Precision P1, Channel D Lino 3.3
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Amplifiers: CH Precision L10/M10, Parasound JC1+, Gryphon Diablo 333 (Incoming)
    Speakers : Magnepan 30.7x, Wilson Audio XVX Chronosonic/Subsonics
    Cables: CAD Ground Controls/USB, Cardas Beyond Clear, Gobel Lacorde Statement
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

“There are four sets of Wilson Benesch’s in-house binding posts (count ‘em), although they only allow biwiring. You select one pair from the three lower sets depending on whether you want full bass output, a 2dB cut or a 3dB cut, an arrangement that recognizes the fact that the Resolution might well find its way into smaller rooms.”

I thought there is an option till quad amping at least that what manual telling. so how I can connect in order to get more bass?
    i did as manual suggested : speaker cable to Upper Midrange and from there jumpers connected to all sets.

You should plug speakers into top set of binding post then only one set of jumper leads to any of the lower pairs, but only one. For max bass output, use the bottom binder posts.

Heihei, What do you mean only one set of jumper?
    What do you refer in first explanation? you can use the attached pic for explanation.

Regarding max bass , to lower the cables from mid where connected right now to isobaric one binder lower?

What options in general exist ?
    In manual there is only one way explained and that’s how it appear in pic.

No - my manual explicitly states that only two sets of binding posts should ever be connected at once - the top one, and only one of the lower 3. This is in red capital letters so I'd assume it's very important this is done.

Attached Images Attached Images

I think your connections may explain some of the previous issues you described with the Resolutions. I'd be interested if you think they sound different when connected as above.

OMG, manual that I got is completely different , I’ll do photo later when I’ll come home

Much simpler

Can you please share your manual

I would check with WB that connecting the way you have won't have damaged the speakers in any way. I'll photo the manual tonight when I get a chance.

At least the single wire connection at next page.
    Thanks.

Please check and update , because if it damaged the speakers it will be a problem since according to my manual i connected correct, ill post the photo later when i get home.

please dont forget to post the manual, and for now ,
    can you please describe how i need correctly connect the wire based on photo that i posted of my current connections. i'm anxious to try new connection.
    Thansk

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    No - my manual explicitly states that only two sets of binding posts should ever be connected at once - the top one, and only one of the lower 3. This is in red capital letters so I'd assume it's very important this is done.

it states : only one of the bottom three pairs should be connect at any one time,
    i didnt saw yet next page of your manual but i connected mine to one of the bottom three pair, no ?

No - all 4 of yours are connected because the jumper leads connect the incoming speaker wire to the other 3 pairs. To match the diagram from my manual, connect the speaker cables to the top pair of binding bolts, then using just one jumper wire, connect the top pair (i.e. where the speaker wire comes in) to one of the other pairs, the bottom pair giving maximum bass.

One question - are the jumper leads in the pic all joined together and are they provided by WB? If so, it may be that your speakers are wired differently to mine / Roy Gregory's, which may explain why your manual is also different.

The jumper all joined together and I connected as Manual suggested
    And yes the jumper original from WB.

I understood correct ?

The diagram above is how I would connect my speakers.

However, the fact that your jumper leads and manual suggest connecting differently may mean your speakers are a different specification. Can you show your diagram? I'd also suggest speaking to WB directly to confirm either way.

This is what I got with my speakers

Heihei, please don’t forget to share your manual.

How for same speaker could could be two different manuals with different functionality
    fom review:
    There are four sets of Wilson Benesch’s in-house binding posts (count ‘em), although they only allow biwiring. You select one pair from the three lower sets depending on whether you want full bass output, a 2dB cut or a 3dB cut, an arrangement that recognizes the fact that the Resolution might well find its way into smaller rooms.”

according to my manual speakers can be connected even as quad amped.

Looking at that suggests you have them set up correctly and the internal wiring for your speakers is different to that of mine / Roy's. Suggest you speak to WB tomorrow for peace of mind.

I will for sure,
    please share the Manual so ill have something to show them , i need at least the next page where single wire connection diagram shown.

I got a reply from WB.

“First of all please let me allay any fears that there is any mistake with the terminal layout on your Resolution. This terminal layout is correct and the manual you have been provided is also correct.

However, we have since introduced other terminal layout options as you have seen on the forum to which you refer. This option was provided for a client that I worked with personally in the U.K. via our home demonstration service. The client identified that they would like an additional option on the terminal block, to allow the bass output to be reduced slightly for their listening room. As a manufacturer, we felt that this modification to the terminal layout could possibly provide some flexibility to others and thus we made it an option. The performance of the Resolution is in no way enhanced.”

Please tell me what you think but , I sense that crossover been modified and speakers became better.

As owner who just got them couple of month back and to me this option was not introduced I think I deserve to have the new modification.

Good to hear there isn't an issue with your speakers.

The original pair I had on home demo were the same as yours, and I bought them on the basis of that demo. My speakers sound exactly the same, so I wouldn't say they are better or worse.

I must understand something , you got private modification to your speakers ? Because you had over bass ?

New Wilson Benesch Resolution Speakers

And after modification you herd no difference ?

Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    I thought it worth jotting down some listening notes as an update to the above. After my initial feedback, the guys from WB came back and repositioned the speakers and took down the bass a notch with a resistor bridge on the isobariks.

The result was transformational and as a result, the Resolutions took us to a pretty magical place musically, with some very moving listening sessions and on one occasion a few tears too. What I’ve learnt is that this comes about by giving a true insight into the performance of the musicians, be that a live recording or a studio session, where you connect with the emotions being expressed. There are a number of aspects of the Resolution’s performance that enable this.

The bass is fantastic, and whilst not plumbing the extreme depths of some designs, gives a good visceral impact on percussion and is texturally really pleasing. I’m intrigued to see what a pair of Torus could add but that is more from the perspective of having your cake and eating it rather than feeling the Resolutions are deficient in any way.

The engineering in the speakers is very visible, with fit and finish being extremely good. In the flesh they look stunning, striking a good balance between having presence but not dominating, and this was true in both large and smaller rooms.
    According to your post I understand that the pair you bought was with new modifications.
    It’s funny , I rad that post back then and thought to my self , how the heck they took down the bass.

Someone here paired his speakers with Torus? Is it worth it ?
    I feel that I don’t get enough bass as I would like to.

I am the one with a pair of Torus Subs. After reading through some of you online posts Stigmater, I am not at all convinced that you have your system setup properly/optimally. I would strongly suggest you get some help, hopefully from your dealer to perform a basic onsite check including measurements to ensure that you are maximizing what you currently have.
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2/D1.5/T1, Innuos Statement Nextgen, Luxman D-10X (Loan)
    Accessories: Artesania Exoteryc Racks & Damping Plates, Seismion Reactio, Degritter RC, RPG Acoustic Treatments/PSI AVAA, Torus Power/Plixir Elite BAC

Thanks for the advice, I'll see what can be done.
    Please share your experience with the Torus.

First let me say, I'm a subwoofer guy. I've had subwoofers as part of my system for a long time and used a lot of different ones. The Torus is best one I've experienced. Only two downsides to it. One is the cost, it is expensive. Second, it is more placement sensitive than some of the alternatives. But, it terms of performance in a high end music (NOT home theater system), I have yet to hear anything better.

Annapolis Raider; just out of interest, have you heard the Resolutions and if so how do you think they compare to your Cardinals. I realise of course that you will have a natural bias . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Iansr View Post
    Annapolis Raider; just out of interest, have you heard the Resolutions and if so how do you think they compare to your Cardinals. I realise of course that you will have a natural bias . . .
    Yes, I have heard the Resolutions. But, I can't really make any meaningful comparison. I'm using a pair of Torus, along with a pair of CH M1s for amps. Comparing that to, Resolutions without subs and with amps , (not CH M1s ), isn't fair.

My best guess is that they sound very similar in tone, with the Cardinals beating the Resolutions on things where size matters (Dynamic Capability, Bass weight and extension, Soundstage dimensions, etc.). By how much is an open question.....

WB have just announced that the Resolutions have just got a Golden Ear award at Absolute Sound. Awesome stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by annapolis Raider View Post
    First let me say, I'm a subwoofer guy. I've had subwoofers as part of my system for a long time and used a lot of different ones. The Torus is best one I've experienced. Only two downsides to it. One is the cost, it is expensive. Second, it is more placement sensitive than some of the alternatives. But, it terms of performance in a high end music (NOT home theater system), I have yet to hear anything better.

I did warn you... I still think fondly of my WB speakers.

All I can say is, it is my sincere hope that EVERYONE enjoys their system as much as I do. I have been involved in this hobby for over 30 years. My current system is a quantum leap beyond anything I've previously owned (Focal Grande Utopia/Gryphon, Maggie/CJ, Avantgarde Trio/Viva, Genesis II/CJ etc.) IMHO, Roy G in the review vastly understates the prowess of the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmater View Post
    Hi all
    Month ago I finally received my pair of Resolutions
    Done break in for a month and now I think I can share my thoughts.
    I heard Resonlution before only at Munich Show this year, I remember that I liked it very much but if you ask me now how exactly it sound back then I wouldn’t tell since quite much time pass by.
    Just to mention, Resolution at show was paired to all CH precision equipment which is very good and of course expensive.
    Now my setup is Vitus Signature pre and power SL-102 and SS-025 + Linn Klimax DAC
    and my impression of speakers would be like that:
    They have a very good stage , to my taste not enough bass and not enough mid bass which is very critical to me because that’s exactly what I looked for in this speakers.
    In general the sound far from harsh and quite pleasant, but i wanted to have this a little blown mid bass that I don’t have.
    Maybe the case is my equipment not powerful enough to reveal WB Resolution potential, I don’t know.
    Recently I visit a friend who did speaker and power upgrade, he got Marten Bird 2 and NAT Audio tube power amp, the sound he got is amazing , he got that magical mid bass that I looked for.
    So in general I quite disappointed since this upgrade was not cheap at all and looking for solutions, maybe not all is lost and what I have to do is power upgrade to finally get what I looked for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I was planning to order a pair of Resolutions today but had this exact same experience: staggeringly, unfathomably weak bass. It was exactly as Stigmater describes here.

It was so bad it has me baffled and confused about what was wrong with the setup or speakers that I heard? I cannot believe the Resolutions can be as totally absent of bass as I heard today? They were literally worse than average bookshelf speakers.

Im hoping somebody here can tell me if what I heard is really just how they sound? Or if this is totally uncharacteristic? Because I've listened to the tracks mentioned in the Absolute Sound review, and none are what I would use to qualify bass prowess.

The speakers sounded lovely with some Diana Krall. With Muddy Waters 'my home is in the delta', they were a lot less dynamic than Im used to. But the Trentemoller electronic tracks is where the near total absence of bass was shocking.

On the track 'Chameleon', a deep, warm bass tune kicks in at about the 30 second mark. These are mid 30 and 40 hz notes, at a guess. Even half-decent bookshelf speakers will play at least some of the notes loudly and give the foundation to the track. But on the Resolutions the entire bass tune - every note - was almost inaudible. It sounded like the entire bass line was being played by speakers in another room.

We checked the wiring and confirmed they were wired for full bass and not the -2 or -3db setups; though this sounded more like -20db than -2. We checked all our settings, tried 3 different amps, streamed the Tidal source from different devices, through different inputs and it was always the same.

We tried different Trentemoller tracks and tried playing loud and moderate. Other bass-heavy tracks were exactly the same. The bass was just ludicrously weak. It sucked all of the life and music out of the tracks; because a big part of the music was missing.

Even played loud, the bass lines and drums had absolutely no weight, punch or kick. There was no vibration through the floor or percussion through the air at all.

It sounded like playing the speakers in the middle of an empty field, or the woofers had accidentally been wired out of phase. It makes no sense how bad they were.

My current speakers are Sonus Faber Olympica 3's. The Olympicas have two 7-inch bass drivers versus FIVE 6.5 inch drivers in the Resolutions. Plus the Resolution's drivers are housed in cabinets of twice the volume and 3x the mass. Physics suggests the Resolutions should be capable of substantially more bass. Even the specs confirm the Resolutions go to 30hz at -2db; Olympicas go to 35hz at -3db.

So how on earth do the Olympicas absolutely trounce the Resolutions I heard for every aspect of bass? The Olympicas are great speakers, but they are far from the last word in bass depth.

I heard the Resolutions in a medium sized demo room (maybe 25-30sqm?). The room was quite lively (acoustically), despite acoustic treatments and carpeted floor. I think the carpet is directly onto the concrete slab though?

Amplification was some big CH monoblocks (not sure of the exact model), a big Vitus integrated, and I bought along one of my Devialet amps, configured as a Devialet 200. Speaker cable was crystal cable, which I am not convinced is ideal, but cannot be entirely responsible for what I heard. Source was Tidal via a CH digital streamer which I know was not rubbish.

All 3 amps sounded different, but the overall character and attributes of the speaker were essentially the same.

Speakers had about 100 hours on them. So not fully run in; but far from fresh out of the box.

Has anybody else found anything similar?

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Audioshark

Welcome to the forum. I would guess they need a lot more break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Have you experimented with different speaker positioning in the room? From your description of the problem I'd suspect some bass cancellation room nodes as a possible cause, which might be able to be addressed with some experimentation on speaker positioning.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Thanks Joeinid. Im a long time lurker and appreciate the advice and commentary I've read here. Great forum.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Have you experimented with different speaker positioning in the room? From your description of the problem I'd suspect some bass cancellation room nodes as a possible cause, which might be able to be addressed with some experimentation on speaker positioning.
    I wondered that too, Audio.Bill. But, as much as positioning can improve sound, this was way beyond something that positioning would fix.

I wondered about nodes so I walked around the room, and even outside the room. It was consistent with what I heard in the listening position. And nodes would not explain why the entire range from, im guessing, 50-20hz was so quiet.

We will try again in a couple of weeks. Im planning to take my Olympicas there so I can hear them side by side to confirm what the issue is.

But, from those of you who have heard these speakers, would you describe the entire lower bass region of the Resolution's performance as being extraordinarily thin and weak? Is the severe bass deficiency the reason they seem to typically be run with Torus subs (sorry, 'infra's' ;-) ).

Here is the Wilson Benesch Resolution driven by the new dartZeel NHB-108 Model Two. Very nice!

Ken

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wlJ6PIVDSUY
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Turns out the Resolutions that I heard on demo had been wired incorrectly internally so the isobaric woofers were running out of phase, cancelling the bass. We switched the jumpers over and what do you know: decent bass!

The bass still does not reach as deep or carry the weight I am used to from my Sonus Faber Olympica 3's - which still makes no sense to me - but, as the reviews say, the speed and detail is incredible. And every other aspect of the sound is absolutely amazing. They are so easy to listen to that I just got completely caught up in every track I played.

I ordered a pair. Im just hoping the bass improves a bit more in my room.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvinyl View Post
    Turns out the Resolutions that I heard on demo had been wired incorrectly internally so the isobaric woofers were running out of phase, cancelling the bass. We switched the jumpers over and what do you know: decent bass!

The bass still does not reach as deep or carry the weight I am used to from my Sonus Faber Olympica 3's - which still makes no sense to me - but, as the reviews say, the speed and detail is incredible. And every other aspect of the sound is absolutely amazing. They are so easy to listen to that I just got completely caught up in every track I played.

Congrats on your purchase! You could always augment the speakers’ bass response with a fast pair of subwoofers like JL Audio or Magico.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

WB make the Torus subwoofers too New Wilson Benesch Resolution Speakers

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvinyl View Post

Congrats!! Be sure to post pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team