Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Roon

Roon

I am currently running Roon on a Asus laptop with an Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz CPU. It does OK but it will not run HQ Player and sometimes has trouble with DSD256 material. What would be my best option for running Roon in my system? Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Marty
    Marty

Aurender N20 / SonicTransporter i7 / Roon
    MSB Premier
    Constellation Inspiration Preamp 1.0 / Mono 1.0
    Dynaudio Confidence 50 / SVS SB13 Ultra
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Audioshark

Re: Roon

Marty - I'm curious to see the answers too.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I have been going back and forth between running Roon and Sooloos with the Roon core on my current MacBook Pro 2.6 i7 with zero issues but I am not using HQ player. If you haven't already spent time on the Roon board there is a dedicated HQ Player category. Here is the link. Sorry if you have already perused those posts.

https://community.roonlabs.com/c/aud...ucts/hq-player
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I agree with Still-One. It sounds to me that your issue is not running Roon but actually running HQ Player. You should check the HQ Player community in Roon as Still-One suggested.

How much ram? You need at least 8GB, 16 better
    SSD HD pretty much a necessity
    If u want to run HQ Player probably need to disable everything else on laptop, except roon of course
    How do u access ur music files?

Also check out the "rock" thread on the roon site....u might want to go this route which is going to be a dedicated solution

Banned

A dedicated machine is your best option for Roon Core and/or HQ Player. If upsampling to DSD256 in HQPlayer you will want a rather beefy machine. My i7 3770 can't do it on it's own with the heavier filters, I need to engage Cuda and use my 1080TI GPU.

In most cases the full blow Roon install and HQPlayer don't play very well together on the same machine but the less intensive Roon Core & HQ Player will work well with a beefy machine.

I'd build the following:
    Intel i7 7700
    16GB Ram
    256GB SSD m.2
    Nvidia 1070GTX

It would be able to run Roon Core and HQPlayer and upsample to DSD256 with the heavy HQPlayer filters with Cuda engaged. A nice NAA or Roon endpoint like the sMS-200 would be needed at your DAC.

If you want to DSD512 with HQPlayer you need an even beefier dedicated machine just for HQPlayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tone View Post
    A dedicated machine is your best option for Roon Core and/or HQ Player. If upsampling to DSD256 in HQPlayer you will want a rather beefy machine. My i7 3770 can't do it on it's own with the heavier filters, I need to engage Cuda and use my 1080TI GPU.

In most cases the full blow Roon install and HQPlayer don't play very well together on the same machine but the less intensive Roon Core & HQ Player will work well with a beefy machine.

I'd build the following:
    Intel i7 7700
    16GB Ram
    256GB SSD m.2
    Nvidia 1070GTX

It would be able to run Roon Core and HQPlayer and upsample to DSD256 with the heavy HQPlayer filters with Cuda engaged. A nice NAA or Roon endpoint like the sMS-200 would be needed at your DAC.

If you want to DSD512 with HQPlayer you need an even beefier dedicated machine just for HQPlayer.
    Agree.

I use Roon strictly for my headphone system which consists of T&A DSD DAC and use HQP to upsample to 512DSD. Don't drive yourself crazy trying all kinds of combinations as it won't work without the horsepower.

I just went out and got a Northwest Falcon Tiki, at:

https://builder.falcon-nw.com/config...pset/processor

with the 6700K processor, now the 7700K processor. The guys at Sound Galleries found the 6700k to be the best "sonically" even better than they super expensive processor, so no need to go to the highest end processor.

The Tiki is EXTREMELY quiet and it works flawlessly, has a great footprint and I run a curious cable direct out from the USB port into a JCAT Intona and it sounds amazing.

The only problem will be with this computer is if you want to use it direct to the DAC and want a dedicated USB audiophile card, you can't add it.

In any case, my ultimate recommendation is to use it as your "server" for Roon and if you are running HQPlayer, run it on the Tiki as well, let all the processing occur on the Tiki and use the HQP NAA on a dedicated device (small fanless computer or microRendu, etc) connected to your DAC and all is great.

OR your can drive yourself crazy and build your own which personally after doing so many times in the past and banging my head against the wall and wasting so much time, I have decided I will no longer do.

The other benefit of the Tiki is it gives you a great desktop for all other tasks, including photo editing, etc and I have actually upsampled to 512DSD from 44/16 while using Photoshop, etc and not a single dropout.

I would recommend the 1080 for the difference in price over the 1070.

That's my take. After futzing around so much to get it to work with "fanless" computers and slower processors I gave up and instead of tweaking just went with the Northwest Tiki and never looked back.

I have Roon running as a headless server connected directly to my DAC. I do not use HQ Player however. I have heard that doing on the fly conversions does take some serious power. My server has the power I just don't have the desire for HQ Player. I also use a Surface Pro tablet as my controller.

One thought, you mentioned that your issue is with DSD256 files. I play DSD256 files perfectly thru my system, therefore I am wondering what drivers you are using. Many times DAC manufactures include a couple different drivers. DSD256 does not work with DoP drivers, which is the standard install for most DACs. DSD256 requires "Native" drivers, sometimes referred to as ASIO drivers. Please make sure this is what you are using.

By the way, I also have a Tiki. Originally bought as a gaming PC, but I re-purpose it as a music server, taking out video card and spinning drives, etc. Falcon Northwest probably make the best custom PCs on the planet. My wife and I have bought 8 over the years. Be aware, they are very expensive computers, but you get the best in both machine and service! Probably overkill as a dedicated music server . Also, realize that the high end graphic cards are exclusively for video and gaming and have no baring on music, or desktop apps for that matter. I had a Nvidia GTX980 in my Tiki (the best available at the time, love Nvidia). When making it a music server I took the graphics card out. What is built in to the Intel CPU is fine for the purpose. As a headless server I do not even have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. hooked to it. I use Remote Desktop to perform any maintenance or file copying tasks.

McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    DSD256 does not work with DoP drivers, which is the standard install for most DACs. DSD256 requires "Native" drivers, sometimes referred to as ASIO drivers. Please make sure this is what you are using.
    That's not true. DSD256 DOP is possible if your DAC is capable of doing 768kHz PCM via USB. Native isn't necessarily required.

DSD512 absolutely requires Native as there is no such thing as 1536kHz PCM out there yet.

Ok, then maybe I am wrong. I have always heard and been told that Native drivers are required for DSD256 and up. Also one reason that DSD128 was always the max for a Mac computer. This has been the case on every DAC I have owned. Not many DACs support 768khz PCM. I have never had one ...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Banned

Ok, then maybe I am wrong. I have always heard and been told that Native drivers are required for DSD256 and up. Also one reason that DSD128 was always the max for a Mac computer. This has been the case on every DAC I have owned. Not many DACs support 768khz PCM. I have never had one ...
    I'm going a little off topic now but there are a few out there MSB dacs, RME ADI 2 Pro, Chord Dave to name a few. It seems to be the new it thing.

And also a very expensive thing ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I have Roon running as a headless server connected directly to my DAC. I do not use HQ Player however. I have heard that doing on the fly conversions does take some serious power. My server has the power I just don't have the desire for HQ Player. I also use a Surface Pro tablet as my controller.

One thought, you mentioned that your issue is with DSD256 files. I play DSD256 files perfectly thru my system, therefore I am wondering what drivers you are using. Many times DAC manufactures include a couple different drivers. DSD256 does not work with DoP drivers, which is the standard install for most DACs. DSD256 requires "Native" drivers, sometimes referred to as ASIO drivers. Please make sure this is what you are using.

By the way, I also have a Tiki. Originally bought as a gaming PC, but I re-purpose it as a music server, taking out video card and spinning drives, etc. Falcon Northwest probably make the best custom PCs on the planet. My wife and I have bought 8 over the years. Be aware, they are very expensive computers, but you get the best in both machine and service! Probably overkill as a dedicated music server . Also, realize that the high end graphic cards are exclusively for video and gaming and have no baring on music, or desktop apps for that matter. I had a Nvidia GTX980 in my Tiki (the best available at the time, love Nvidia). When making it a music server I took the graphics card out. What is built in to the Intel CPU is fine for the purpose. As a headless server I do not even have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. hooked to it. I use Remote Desktop to perform any maintenance or file copying tasks.

If you use HQP the video card provides computing power that helps in the 512 oversampling DSD realm.

Sorry I meant to add I am not currently using HQ Player. I tried but the laptop definitely doesn't have the muscle for that. Thanks for everyone's ideas and help.
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Quote Originally Posted by Priaptor View Post
    If you use HQP the video card provides computing power that helps in the 512 oversampling DSD realm.
    HQP uses Cuda cores? My DAC maximum is DSD256 anyway ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

HQP uses Cuda cores? My DAC maximum is DSD256 anyway ...
    As you can see specified on the HQPlayer website:

System requirements, CUDA offload:

Nice!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    I am currently running Roon on a Asus laptop with an Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6GHz CPU. It does OK but it will not run HQ Player and sometimes has trouble with DSD256 material. What would be my best option for running Roon in my system? Thanks in advance for everyones help.

Marty
    Hey Marty! Sent you a quick email ---- Taylor
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

I am running Roon on a USB3.0 connected 60 Euro SSD on my QNAP TVS-471 NAS. I am using the Sonore SonicOrbiter from only USD 298 as Roon Ready endpoint to stream RAAT and it sounds amazingly good! It runs smoothly without a single issue since January.
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Running Roon on a suitable server with a Roon Ready endpoint is not very processor intensive. Now try to do so with HQPlayer performing high rate DSD conversions with their top filtering algorithms and that's another story entirely!

Quote Originally Posted by Glareskin View Post
    I am running Roon on a USB3.0 connected 60 Euro SSD on my QNAP TVS-471 NAS. I am using the Sonore SonicOrbiter from only USD 298 as Roon Ready endpoint to stream RAAT and it sounds amazingly good! It runs smoothly without a single issue since January.
    I have to say, I have yet to be enamored with Roon direct to my microRendu or any other endpoint. Roon + HQPlayer upsampled to 512DSD however, is just awesome, assuming your DAC can handle it.

The few times I got HQ Player upsampling DSD512 into the T&A DAC8 it was excellent. Maybe an 8 core Intel Xeon machine with 32GB of ram and a SSD drive?
    Marty

MSB Premier
    PS Audio Powerplant 15

Banned

To do DSD512 with poly-sinc-xtr I believe Jussi recommends an i7-6950X with 32GB of fast RAM in Quad channel configuration and a 1080GTX GPU.

HAs someone tried to run ROON Server directly on a Microsoft Surface Pro ( Windows 10, Core i7, 16 Gb RAM &... 1 Tb SSD + MicroSDXC reader = 1,25 Tb) ?

Connected to a HUGO2 it become a totally transportable solution ! and at home you can connect it to your Desktop USB DAC and use it as your Music server !
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

I use my Surface Pro only as a Roon controller. At one point in time I was using it as a music server directly to my DAC. At that time I was running JRiver. I could never go back to JRiver after Ron.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

I use my Surface Pro only as a Roon controller. At one point in time I was using it as a music server directly to my DAC. At that time I was running JRiver. I could never go back to JRiver after Ron.
    Did you tried to run Roon SERVER directly on your Surface Pro ?
    On the Go: A&K SP1000 > Shure KSE 1500
    At home : ARIES > Denafrips Terminator R2R DAC > BHSE > STAX SR009
    -> for sale : Piano Forte PFVIII, Eddie Current 445 tube Amp (with many different tubes).
    Review Chord MOJO v/s HUGO et WooAudio WA8 v/s TU-05 & HUGO

JRivers is what I used for the short time I used the Surface as a server. Since getting Roon I have had server installed on the machine that I configured as a headless music server and have had Roon controller installed on the Surface.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Roon