Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Aurender W20 Drive Replacement

Has anyone replaced the 2 storage drives in a W20? Aurender charges $300 for the service (you supply the drives). I wouldn't mind paying $300 if they were around the corner but I would have to ship the unit to CA which would cost at least $500 round trip.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

Re: Aurender W20 Drive Replacement

Wow, that sounds expensive. If it is like a computer then it is only a couple of cables and some screws to hold the drive in place. The one in a Bryston BDP-2 looks easy to replace but I just use an external drive.
    Main 2ch/HT:Acoustat 2+2,Axiom EP500,Ray Lumley M-100, Bedini BA-803,Threshold T3,JRDG Consumate Phono, Lenco L75, ZYX Universe cart,Oppo BDP 95(transport), Calyx Femto DAC,Bryston BDP-2,Pioneer F-91 tuner,Studer A807 r2r,Consonance d-Linear15 power filter, DVDO Matrix 4x4,Mitsubishi HC-5 projector, Audience Au24e and LectraLine Xe cables,Cullen Power Distribution Box with upgraded cable
    Bedroom 2ch/HT:Tetra 406, Forte model2pre,Forte model3amp,TeacUD503,Faroudja DV1000,PioneerCLD-97 ld player,Thorens TD-146,PioneerTX-9800,Mitsubishi HC5 projector,Tetra Artet cables

Quote Originally Posted by dminches View Post
    Has anyone replaced the 2 storage drives in a W20? Aurender charges $300 for the service (you supply the drives). I wouldn't mind paying $300 if they were around the corner but I would have to ship the unit to CA which would cost at least $500 round trip.
    dminches.......Lets see, $300 for the two 4TB hard drives formatted and installed with the proper operating system and factory tested, plus $100 shipping each way for a total of $500 is not bad. It seems that $500 total cost for the hard drives and factory service, including shipping, for a component that retails for $14,000 is quite reasonable.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    dminches.......Lets see, $300 for the two 4TB hard drives formatted and installed with the proper operating system and factory tested, plus $100 shipping each way for a total of $500 is not bad. It seems that $500 total cost for the hard drives and factory service, including shipping, for a component that retails for $14,000 is quite reasonable.
    Your math is a bit off. The 2 drives cost $250 each or $500 total. The service costs $300. The shipping is $250 each way with full insurance. The total is $1300, not $500. Plus, there is always a chance that the unit could get damaged.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 XTRM, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Tosca arm; SME 3012R arm, Ortofon Diamond Anna; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Taiko Audio Extreme> Lampizator Horizon, Oppo UDP-203;

dminches.......Oops!I just reread your post and see I missed the part about you supply the drives. Is there a possibility you can buy the hard drives, ship them to Aurender, have them format and load the OS, then return the drives to you to install in the W20?
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

I got one for the S10, but you may try this with your W20 (if you have the new HDDs) - It will not hurt.

1. Detach the power cord from the S10
    2. Open top cover and insert hard disk, be sure that all cables are not
    under pressure and go freely from socket to socket.
    3. Attach power cord and swith S10 on
    4. Wait until it boots OK.
    5. Open aurender conductor application on ipad and select/connect to S10 to
    manage it
    6. Switch to “Tracks” to display tracks – should be zero tracks
    7. Search for “format hdd” (write this text in seach prompt)
    8. The popup screen should appear, press ONCE ONLY link “format empty hdds”
    9. Wait a few minutes until format finishes (may last a bit longer)
    10. Check the disk is accessible
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    I got one for the S10, but you may try this with your W20 (if you have the new HDDs) - It will not hurt.

manage it

Um-- sorry to intrude but shouldn't one wear an Earthed wrist strap?

Bruce

Bruce, in therory - yes.

In practice - just touch some grounded metal to dischagre the static and you will be fine.
    Adam

I haven't seen this addressed, is there any impact on the Aurender warranty if you do the replacement yourself? Some companies will void your warranty if any non-authorized service is performed to their products.

Thanks Adam.

It sounds like this is user doable.

As I said, I don't mind paying $300 for Aurender to do this but the thought of shipping the unit cross country twice does not excite me.

manage it

Plus you risk damaging the HDDs (since they are shock sensitive) and we all know how boxes are (mis)handled by UPS/FedEx etc
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    I haven't seen this addressed, is there any impact on the Aurender warranty if you do the replacement yourself? Some companies will void your warranty if any non-authorized service is performed to their products.
    You may just keep the old HDDs and put them back prior shipping it for any warranty repairs.
    Adam

Adam, I don't see where I do this.

Is this in the settings menus?

After several conversations with Aurender tech support, who is great by the way, I have 2 options to upgrade the machine. I can send it back to them or find a local dealer to do it. Physically replacing the drives is a trivial task. Getting to the program to format the drives is the challenge since they do not provide this information to the end user. No sure why if I have a unit out of warranty, but so be it.

I am trying to find a local dealer to whom I can drive the unit and have them upgrade it.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Aurender W20 Drive Replacement