Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Tracking Music Collection

I am curious how everyone tracks and organize their music collection. Do you keep a list or just wing it?

I have friends who have Albums, CDs, etc., all over the place. Some have GBs, TBs, etc., of digital files and have no idea what they have. Others are ultra organized to a point of having special rooms for their albums. One of our club members who writes for an audio magazine has a room which is climate controlled (almost looks like a vault with a glass door) where his albums are stored and organized.

Personally I have a cabinet where all of my disks are keep. I have the SACDs separated from CDs, but both are in alphabetical order by the artist last name. All of my digital downloaded files are on my music server and also backed up on three separate drives, one being my NAS on my network and two external drives.

I am sure that my collection is much smaller than most members, but it is growing. Because I am an ultra organized type person I wrote a computer program for tracking my music. I also track my movies/videos, family and friends addresses, phone numbers, birthdays, etc. I even created a recipe section that my wife does not use ....

Anyway, here is a print out of my music list as an example...

Just curious how other members track their collections...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Re: Tracking Music Collection

My LP's are in alphabetical order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    My LP's are in alphabetical order.
    Cool Mike...do you have downloads or other digital files, or mainly concentrate on vinyl? If so do you track them anyway? Do you have a list of your LP's or do you do what I used to, just stand there thumbing through albums trying to decide what to listen to? Just being curious how other people manage their music collections...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

I mainly listen to vinyl at home...call me crazy, but it's the tactile experience and sonic experience I enjoy and have for 40 years. In deciding what to listen to, I seriously just reach into a stack of albums and pull one out. Last night it was Bill Withers Live at Carnegie Hall. http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/95...m_Vinyl_Record

I listened to both LP's in the album all the way through. Throughly enjoyable.

I have 5000+ albums in Canada in my in-laws cold, dark basement. They are not organized. I really must find a way to get them down to Florida. In Florida, I have a closet full of albums organized alphabetically. I ran out of room there, so now I have one of these: https://www.lpbin.com/lpbin2 The albums in there are not in any particular order. I thoroughly enjoy just flipping through, looking at the album covers and grabbing one. If I want to find a particular album, I know where to find it. Can't find that missing sock, but I can find my albums.

I ran out of room with the LP Bin above and just bought four of these: http://waxstacks.com/ -- the price of these is a bit nuts, but I know the guy who owns the company (he used to work at DynAudio) and wanted to give him support (no, I did not get any discount).

I occasionally put on tape, but it can be a bit of a PITA. I have a lot of digital files from my ripped CD's, SACD's. They are organized by Artist/Album. I will be honest, I have some audiophile friends who absolutely hate vinyl. When they visit, you can be sure we fire up the DAC and listen to the same old sh!t: Keith Don't Go, some Dire Straits song, etc. I begin to wonder if we've lost our sheer joy of an album experience. In the old days, it was about the album. Every album was an experience. You listened beginning to end. Today, we make "playlists" and hop around songs like our fingers are on fire. Can you imagine if we watched movies in this fashion?

I do enjoy putting on a CD/SACD and listening all the way through as well, but for me, I love the whole experience of vinyl when I'm alone. I understand that people say vinyl is a hassle, but then talk about their NAS, USB Regen going into their router and switch and .... and this part isn't talking to that part....well, you get the point.

Sorry, I digressed.

P.S. you kids get off my lawn!

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Randy.......My LP's are stored in alphabetical order. I don't need a list because I generally know what vinyl I want to spin and have an album or two already in mind when I go to pull them out.

My digital library is stored on my Aurender N10, all CD's and downloaded files to 24/192. The Aurender Conductor app does the work of organizing for me by creating searchable alphabetical lists by song title, artist, album title, genre, and cover art, plus I can search by bit rate (16Bit or 24Bit) and PCM or DSD. That completely negates any need for a spreadsheet. All digital is backed up to a hard drive that remains disconnected from my network unless I am updating the files.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Hehe... Mike, I thoroughly enjoyed reading through. That is great, other than there is no way I could leave 5000 albums up in Canada ....

Everyone enjoys their collections in different ways. I guess the main objective of this thread .... I used to really enjoy vinyl but after getting back in to this hobby and building from scratch whenever I think about getting a table I start remembering all the care... but thumbing through albums and looking at the covers, etc., is something I did enjoy.

I tend to like to listen to full albums (CDs and digital) more so then bouncing around. But the convenience of testing different things when trying something out is also very nice.

Anyway, I hope to hear from many other members here because I find this very interesting. If anyone wants a copy of my program that I use to track stuff I would be glad to provide it, I mean I wrote it so it is not breaking any copy writes ....

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Mike.......Back in the late 60's and early 70's we used to go to the record stores on the day an album was released to buy it and couldn't wait to get back home with new music to share with our friends. The stylus got dropped in the groove, side A and side B played in their entirety, sometimes immediately playing the album a second time. New LP's were like gold to us. Vinyl was king. Living in San Francisco during those times kept all of us on the leading edge of new music. When we weren't home listening to music were we enjoying live concerts in Golden Gate Park, or heading out to the Fillmore West or the Avalon Ballroom to see our favorite bands. Those were great times. I am happy to have those memories. It's a whole different scene today.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Very much so... I remember often going to the record store the day of a new release... Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, etc., etc.... those were great days!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Mike.......Back in the late 60's and early 70's we used to go to the record stores on the day an album was released to buy it and couldn't wait to get back home with new music to share with our friends. The stylus got dropped in the groove, side A and side B played in their entirety, sometimes immediately playing the album a second time. New LP's were like gold to us. Vinyl was king. Living in San Francisco during those times kept all of us on the leading edge of new music. When we weren't home listening to music were we enjoying live concerts in Golden Gate Park, or heading out to the Fillmore West or the Avalon Ballroom to see our favorite bands. Those were great times. I am happy to have those memories. It's a whole different scene today.
    Great memories Dan. We had Sam The Record Man in Toronto, and I would be standing waiting for the doors to open to sniff out the new vinyl albums for that week.

Yes, very different today.

Randy, my vinyls are organized into music styles like jazz, blues, rock, classical etc. When a section becomes too big I divide it up into subcategories by artist in jazz and artist or composer in classical.

CDs are organized into music styles in the garage, only listen to rips and streaming in digital.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

I had thought about organizing my disks by genera but then decided against it since there are so many that cross into different ones ... I like the idea though!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

My LP's, CD' and downloads are all arranged by genre in alphabetical order
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Quote Originally Posted by CPP View Post
    My LP's, CD' and downloads are all arranged by genre in alphabetical order
    You appear to master the best of both worlds Tracking Music Collection.

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    You appear to master the best of both worlds Tracking Music Collection.

Just logical my good man, logical and easy.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

Chacun à son goût.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    Chacun à son goût.

I'll stick with my taste. At my age it works.

Since I moved, my LPs are still split between the storage unit and my store, in boxes, some in Ikea racks Thankfully, I had them sorted in alphabetical order, and also split in three big categories (rock/jazz/classical), so they're not that hard to track down if I have to. With 4000 or so, it's kinda hard to find one spot to have them all, and get rid of the boxes, but...

The CDs I've ripped long ago, and have them all on my server, where I keep them in a separate folder from the hi-res stuff (and DSD in a separate folder too). I'm now slowly selling them all, to fund more LP purchases

cheers,
    alex

I mainly listen to vinyl at home...call me crazy, but it's the tactile experience and sonic experience I enjoy and have for 40 years. In deciding what to listen to, I seriously just reach into a stack of albums and pull one out. Last night it was Bill Withers Live at Carnegie Hall. http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/95...m_Vinyl_Record

I listened to both LP's in the album all the way through. Throughly enjoyable.

I have 5000+ albums in Canada in my in-laws cold, dark basement. They are not organized. I really must find a way to get them down to Florida. In Florida, I have a closet full of albums organized alphabetically. I ran out of room there, so now I have one of these: https://www.lpbin.com/lpbin2 The albums in there are not in any particular order. I thoroughly enjoy just flipping through, looking at the album covers and grabbing one. If I want to find a particular album, I know where to find it. Can't find that missing sock, but I can find my albums.

I ran out of room with the LP Bin above and just bought four of these: http://waxstacks.com/ -- the price of these is a bit nuts, but I know the guy who owns the company (he used to work at DynAudio) and wanted to give him support (no, I did not get any discount).

I occasionally put on tape, but it can be a bit of a PITA. I have a lot of digital files from my ripped CD's, SACD's. They are organized by Artist/Album. I will be honest, I have some audiophile friends who absolutely hate vinyl. When they visit, you can be sure we fire up the DAC and listen to the same old sh!t: Keith Don't Go, some Dire Straits song, etc. I begin to wonder if we've lost our sheer joy of an album experience. In the old days, it was about the album. Every album was an experience. You listened beginning to end. Today, we make "playlists" and hop around songs like our fingers are on fire. Can you imagine if we watched movies in this fashion?

I do enjoy putting on a CD/SACD and listening all the way through as well, but for me, I love the whole experience of vinyl when I'm alone. I understand that people say vinyl is a hassle, but then talk about their NAS, USB Regen going into their router and switch and .... and this part isn't talking to that part....well, you get the point.

Sorry, I digressed.

Good post Mike. I really don't think tape is any more of pain in the ass than vinyl, maybe less. The added SQ quality is worth it IMO.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Audioshark

Thanks Mark. How is part 2 of your Avenger review coming? I personally think the Magnetic Platter is the biggest difference.

I have about 400-500 LPs and about 500 CDs. I use Discogs as archive. At home they are all on alphabetical order. I don't really collect vinyls I buy the music I know I like and will listen to.
    Pre amp: Ocatve Phono Module Power amps: Octave MRE130 Turntable: SAC Girati Grande. Tonearm: Dynavector 507mkII Cartridge: Dynavector Ikeda 9TT Streamer: Aurender A10 Power Distributor: Anzus Mains D8 Speakers: Raidho X-3 Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket 88 XLR Interlink: Ansuz A2, [B]XLR Interlink: [B]Phono interlink: Cammino Serie 1.0 - PH 1.0s Power cables: Anzus Mains Ceramic, two Pom, Aluminium, X series Audio Rack: Rack of Silence 4 and 2.

I have ripped all my CDs and stored them at my NAS. Every two weeks , I keep a backup copy of my NAS to a second off site NAS.

I have approx. 4TB of digital files, FLAC and ALAC alike, 10% to be hirez files.

For organizing same, I keep various folders like blues, jazz etc. On the server.

One could say that I am a metadata maniac, since I enrich the metadata of my files daily.
    This is because I may using MUSIChi software .

MUSIChi software suite does it all. Most importantly it has an excellent library management system, which lets you have multiple libraries on the fly and change them at will. This is very helpful with large collection of digital files, since the loading and search times are reduced significantly.

The second feature is it's incredible search engine (based on the metadata of the files ) where you can search by folder/name/artist/comments/bit rate, whatever you want.

Στάλθηκε από το X9007 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

I keep all my CDs in boxes in the attic. They are completely disorganized.

But... that's after I ripped them and stored them in a NAS.

Software like Logitech Media Server, Roon, etc analyzes the files in the NAS and create a database that keeps all rips perfectly organized by Artist, Album, Genre, Composer, track Name, etc. I can even separate by type of recording (DSD, high-res PCM, MP3, etc).

I recommend that you spend a little time thinking of how you will organize your files (be consistent!), then rip the files, and use software to adjust the metadata.

I use a tree structure like this:
    Artist Name
    -Album Name 1
    -Album Name 2

I use mp3tag to change/adjust the metadata.

I use DBpoweramp for ripping which gives you very good metadata choices. But you will need a good metadata software to make corrections from time to time.

And you can export a list of your music and print it if you want!

I use for my digital database XLD for ripping lossless files. The physical administration is done by iTunes. ITunes is not the best choice for the administration of the hard disk, but for me a good compromise and as a nice side effect I can use the files for my mobile devices.

To enjoy my music collection I use Roon & HQ-Player. I love to browse through the collection with Roon by using the additional information/content concerning the music I enjoy. That´ s for me a feeling almost like watching/reading an album cover. Usually I listen complete albums/cd´ s. But from time to time I perform track hopping which also is easy to do with the database. I appreciate to have the choice of enjoying my music collection in both ways.

My Vinyl collection with round about 300 records only a tenth of my digital collection is sorted in alphabetical way using the interpret of the record.
    Last edited by AlterEgo; April 19, 2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo

I have 5000+ albums in Canada in my in-laws cold, dark basement. They are not organized. I really must find a way to get them down to Florida. In Florida, I have a closet full of albums organized alphabetically. I ran out of room there, so now I have one of these: < link modified "lpbin2 from the lpbin company.> link modified" The albums in there are not in any particular order. I thoroughly enjoy just flipping through, looking at the album covers and grabbing one. If I want to find a particular album, I know where to find it. Can't find that missing sock, but I can find my albums...

Mike:

I'm glad that I came across this thread and your post as I've been considering purchasing one of the lpbin2's. However, I'm not interested enough to do a blind buy and have been unable to find anyone that has purchased one of these. Until your post. So, if you don't mind I'd appreciate if you'd provide your input regarding the following:

1. Did you also purchase the bottom shelf adaptor so that all albums are facing forward?
    2. If so, how accessible/viewable are the albums on the bottom of the bin?
    3. What's the build/design quality like?
    4. What's the aesthetic of the bin? I'd likely be placing this in a living room and wonder if this would look appropriate in a living room or is it more of a basement / storage / garage type product?
    5. Have you attached any lighting to the bin?
    6. Did you also buy the groove mats? If so, how do you like them.
    7. The depth is 28 inches. If you have this in a room do you feel like maybe the bin protrudes too much into the room?

I'm considering purchasing an lpbin2 with the bottom shelf adaptor and the groove mats.

Thank you.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum Mahalo, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Physically, I have my albums in first name, alphabetical order by genre. Same with cd's, which I don't have as many. I have them listed on discog's. With the app on my phone, I can check to see if I already have a particular album or which issue it is if I find a copy I am interested in. Discogs is also helpful for insurance purposes if need as it gives a value for your collection.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum Mahalo, thank you for joining.
    Thank you.

As someone with a lot of vinyl I find Discogs invaluable in maintaining my vinyl collection. It has saved from my buying lots of duplicates. Great to use when I am looking at records in a store as well.
    Roon Rock | Ortofon Cadenza Black | Miyajima Zero | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio G3

Quote Originally Posted by Mahalo View Post
    Mike:

I'm glad that I came across this thread and your post as I've been considering purchasing one of the lpbin2's...
    Mike:

No need to respond to the prior post regarding the lpbin. I was at a dealer event and the dealer had purchased on of the lpbin1's. It was on the showroom floor so I was able to familiarize myself with it.

Randy,

I have been using CLZ music to keep track of what I have mainly to give me a quick a reference on my phone when Imam considering new purchase. It is helpful to,avoid duplicates. It works with all physical media, CDs, LPs for example. It struggles to differentiate between my downloaded hi Rez FLAC and. red book sourced FLAC album and that could be me as it seems to have capabilities far beyond what I have been able to learn.

craig
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, ClearAudio Performance SE, Satisfy Arm & Maestro Wood MM Cartridge
    Power: 3 x 20 Amp Lines, Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Shunyata Sigma v2 NR, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - Alpha CGS cables
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon Modified) Buffalo GS2016 Switches powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 SCs, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK/Vicoustics/Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Quote Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
    Randy,

I have been using CLZ music to keep track of what I have mainly to give me a quick a reference on my phone when Imam considering new purchase. It is helpful to,avoid duplicates. It works with all physical media, CDs, LPs for example. It struggles to differentiate between my downloaded hi Rez FLAC and. red book sourced FLAC album and that could be me as it seems to have capabilities far beyond what I have been able to learn.

craig
    I have been using this program for too long to remember. I find it useful to have a complete inventory of every lp, cd,digital file and tagged Tidal release I own with me at all times. I even track the different versions where applicable. In fact I have spent several hours the last few days updating the program to indicate which files I have loaded to either Sooloos or Roon and both. A ways to go to complete this task.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

I keep my music files on the NAS in folders too with hi-rez stuff by genre in separate folders and same for CDs. I have a few back-up copies on hard drives. JRiver allows for a report but a couple of years back I must have gotten a couple of albums that have foreign characters in them and the last couple of times I tried I got an error message. I keep the list from a couple of years ago in a PDF file which I have in a saved folder on my email so I know most of what I have from anywhere.
    Main System - Lumin U2, Modwright LS36.5 DM Preamp, VTV Purifi 1ET-7040SA with tube buffer, EMM Labs DAC 2X (ver. 2), Torus RM-20, Thiel CS 3.7s, 2 Rel S/812 subs
    Back-up 1 - Premium Audio mini Gan Amp, Oppo 103D, 2 Richard Gray cond, Selah SA-2s, Sumiko S5 sub, Teac UD-503 DAC, Carver (modded) C-9
    Back-up 2 - Onkyo TX-NR797, Panasonic DP-UB820, Vansevers cond, B&W P6s, PowerSoundAudio S1500 sub

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I have been using this program for too long to remember. I find it useful to have a complete inventory of every lp, cd,digital file and tagged Tidal release I own with me at all times. I even track the different versions where applicable. In fact I have spent several hours the last few days updating the program to indicate which files I have loaded to either Sooloos or Roon and both. A ways to go to complete this task.
    Actually Jim, I think I learned about CLZ from you! My library is a mess as I have not figured out how to distinguish between CDs, FLAC or DSD downloads of the same album.
    Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, ClearAudio Performance SE, Satisfy Arm & Maestro Wood MM Cartridge
    Power: 3 x 20 Amp Lines, Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Shunyata Sigma v2 NR, Block Audio Power Cords, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
    Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon Modified) Buffalo GS2016 Switches powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
    Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 SCs, 1M & 6M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
    Other: Isoacoustics GAIA I footers on the Kharmas, GIK/Vicoustics/Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Ultra SS, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack

Actually Jim, I think I learned about CLZ from you! My library is a mess as I have not figured out how to distinguish between CDs, FLAC or DSD downloads of the same album.
    What I do to differentiate different versions is to include the type of recording in the title in brackets. For example:
    Led Zeppelin II [96-24]
    Led Zeppelin II [DSD]
    Led Zeppelin II [multi-channel]
    Most of my collection is in FLAC. So I don't label them. If title shows with no brackets, that means it is FLAC.
    I am using Roon. It has the best file management for music that I have ever used. Roon takes the names in the brackets and shows that name in a corner of the cover art. In the example above, you would see three covers. One would show "DSD", another will show "96-24", the third would say "multi-channel".
    You need software to change the metadata. I use MP3TAG.

I am using MUSIChi suite, thw library management fearure to keep track of what I have. With almost 3000cds and a ciupke of TB digital library its priceless...

Στάλθηκε από το ALE-L21 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

It is interesting to see what everyone uses. It sounds like a lot of you use some kind of program to track your collection. When I have a need for this type of program I usually write a database application for the purpose. It allows me to customize and change when I want to. In my application I now track names and addresses, our Christmas card list, our movies collection, and not that long ago I added my music collection.

I am still fine tuning the report print out the way I want it. I keep a print out with my system for quick reference. I just added in a photo of the album covers to the database. I have a print out with and without the picture. The photo does increase the number of pages quite a bit, so not sure I will be using the print out with the photo moving forward much...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    It is interesting to see what everyone uses. It sounds like a lot of you use some kind of program to track your collection. When I have a need for this type of program I usually write a database application for the purpose. It allows me to customize and change when I want to. In my application I now track names and addresses, our Christmas card list, our movies collection, and not that long ago I added my music collection.

I am still fine tuning the report print out the way I want it. I keep a print out with my system for quick reference. I just added in a photo of the album covers to the database. I have a print out with and without the picture. The photo does increase the number of pages quite a bit, so not sure I will be using the print out with the photo moving forward much...
    Showoff!

Quote Originally Posted by nicoff View Post
    What I do to differentiate different versions is to include the type of recording in the title in brackets. For example:
    Led Zeppelin II [96-24]
    Led Zeppelin II [DSD]
    Led Zeppelin II [multi-channel]
    Most of my collection is in FLAC. So I don't label them. If title shows with no brackets, that means it is FLAC.
    I am using Roon. It has the best file management for music that I have ever used. Roon takes the names in the brackets and shows that name in a corner of the cover art. In the example above, you would see three covers. One would show "DSD", another will show "96-24", the third would say "multi-channel".
    You need software to change the metadata. I use MP3TAG.
    Thanks for that Jim. Perhaps this is better in another thread but one last comment. (Apologies Randy).

I have used JRiver and Mp3TAG to add these types of things to my folder names. However, my issue is more on the use of CLZ as when I upload them, it then does not 'find' those names in its database so I found myself having to re-enter the data which was short lived. Not sure what I am doing wrong but it really hasn't worked for as a result. My database in CLZ is a mess and I have been thinking of schist starting over.

Thanks for that Jim. Perhaps this is better in another thread but one last comment. (Apologies Randy).

I have used JRiver and Mp3TAG to add these types of things to my folder names. However, my issue is more on the use of CLZ as when I upload them, it then does not 'find' those names in its database so I found myself having to re-enter the data which was short lived. Not sure what I am doing wrong but it really hasn't worked for as a result. My database in CLZ is a mess and I have been thinking of schist starting over.
    Just a thought: folder name is different that "album name". You can change the folder name in any computer without need for special software.
    The "album name" on the other hand is one of the metadata fields that is embedded in the file itself independent of the folder that is stored under.

You need special software to be able to change the metadata.

The filename of any track can provide you all the information needed to identify that track. Here is an example of a filename:

05 - Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III [9624] - Out on the Tiles.flac

Even if you find that file somewhere misplaced in your computer, you know exactly where it came from.

Some programs (like mp3tag) can generate that same filename automatically. In this example, I told mp3tag to use the following track metadata to generate the filename.

Track # - Artist - Album Name - track name - type of file

Btw You can even embed the cover art in the metadata so it will show when you play the file.

I basically use an Xcel spreadsheet. I'm thinking most likely because I'm a bottom line/what's the point kind of person and most of my day is taken up by work -- with no complaints. I use the Xcel spreadsheet to create columns, i.e., genre, issue date, etc. And then I periodically use the search function to rearrange the spreadsheets by line item. And then I use this to rearrange how I arrange the physical media in terms of storage and access.

For example for vinyl I currently have the arrangement as follows: 1) 12-inch singles, 2) catalog titles that have been cleaned, 3) recent purchases, 4) jazz, 5) A-list, 6) live albums.

For example for digital I currently have the arrangement as follows: 1) SACD - Mono 2) SACD - Stereo, 3) SACD - Multi-channel, 4) DVD-Audio, 5) DTS 5.1, 6) Blu-ray audio, etc.

This seems to work for me.

And then I shake things up periodically. For example my next re-arrangement will probably include a segmentation for 1) soundtrack, and 2) '70's, '80's, etc. And I can do this because I have unique columns in the spreadsheet and then I just re-arrange the spreadsheet based upon the current parameters.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team