Headphone amp - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Headphone amp

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headphone amp

We have Woo .... First listen, pretty darn good. Of course not even close to being broken in. Woo suggests 150+ hours for the unit to reach top performance. My HD800S headphones have never sounded so good.
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery, Remedy | ARC VT50 w/Gold Lion KT88 | First Watt F6 | Quicksilver Silver 88 Mono's w/KT150
    Speakers/Headphones: KEF R700, Kube,
    M500 | Sennheiser HD800S | Woo Audio WA6
    Sources: Roon Headless Server PC & Roon Tablet Controller | Marantz SA8005
    | McIntosh MR85 | Magnum Dynalab ST-2
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound
    Power: Furman Elite 15i | iFi iPower | PS Audio Noise Harvesters

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a couple people ask for photos

Attached Images Attached Images
    Electronics: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE, DAC-2v2SE, Recovery, Remedy | ARC VT50 w/Gold Lion KT88 | First Watt F6 | Quicksilver Silver 88 Mono's w/KT150
    Cables: Richard Gray | Wireworld | Audioquest | Tributaries | Kimber Kable | Wyred 4 Sound

Post Thanks / Like

I had an issue over the weekend where the amp got very distorted. After pulling the tubes a couple times and reseating them it seemed to clear up. I was still concerned so I spoke with Michael at Woo. He believes one of the tubes may not be perfect so he is sending me replacements. All I can say is that Woo impressed the heck out of me. Great service, friendly, and definitely understanding their product.

One other bit of interesting news is that the 6DE7 tubes are actual NOS tubes. They actually send NOS output tubes with the unit! I ordered a NOS rectifier tube that Jack recommended to play around with rolling a bit.

Also, thank you Jack for helping troubleshooting, etc. I was concerned when it first happened (out of the blue), but Jack's excellent help and knowledge of tube equipment was a God send!

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up a special tube from Upscale Audio; here is a review by Bob Levi on the NOS Philips 5R4GYS Rectifier Tube Made in Holland. It was a little pricy but oh what a sound. I did not think a rectifier tube would make this much of a difference. And it is not even close to being broken in. First listen, more detail, smoother, instruments had more air between them. Quite amazing. My Sennheisre have never sounded so good!

"This 1960's made tube developed for rugged video application has been found in quantity by Upscale Audio, in Upland, CA. Kevin Deal searches the world for new old stock tubes hidden in the wildest places, and he struck gold here! It may have been made for video, but it kicks ass for audio!!From Upscale:
    The Sound
    I compared them to the holy grail of rectifiers, the Mullard GZ34/5AR4 which I bought used for $80. New is $250, if you can find them. In the ModWright PS9 Power supply and in a Dynaco Stereo 70, the Phillips worked wonders. I experienced more definition, more subtlety, more elegance, tighter imaging, fleshier, quicker, added depth, and just more realism. Vocals are better than ever, and alive with inner definition and nuance."

Post Thanks / Like

I have got to say, this 50+ year old tube (NOS) sounds amazing. I find I am using headphones more than speakers lately and the Woo amp with this rectifier tube is fantastic!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow ............ Randy, I think you've been 'Wooed' !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

Post Thanks / Like

LOL.... true true...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2