Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Tube dampers ?

Tube dampers ?

Does anybody use thes on tube amplifiers? I have seen these but do not know much about them.
    Does anyone have any opinions good or bad ?
    Kronos Sparta / Miyajima Madake / New Audio Frontiers Stradivari Phono / Taiko Extreme / Aqua Acoustics Formula XHD / Townshend Allegri Reference / New Audio Frontiers Reference 845 Mono SE / Marten Coltrane Soprano / Artesania Audio Exoteryc rack / Daiza Isolation

Re: Tube dampers ?

Great question!!! I was thinking about the exact same thing a few days ago after I traded for an Audio Research VSi60 that hadnsome dampers on the pre tubes.

I've played around with dampers several different times, and I just can't seem to tell if they make a difference or not.
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

I tried a pair on the 6V6 tubes in my BAT VK-3i preamp and to my ear, they altered the sound and not in a positive way. Seemed like it closed every thing in. Lost the open, airy sound. Took them off and it opened back up. The tubes were not microphonic so I didn't really need them. I heard a system once that consisted of great gear but every thing that could have a damping device added to it did. It sounded lifeless. I think sometimes we over do it.

High heat silicone o-rings are a cheap and easy way to experiment.
    McMaster-Carr has hundreds of sizes. I buy the square red silicone ones as I like the look. Fast shipping.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=17b7jfe
    Basement
    Pre-amp: Wright WLA12A
    Power-amp: Transcendent SC-150 monos
    CD: Arcam Alpha 9
    Tuner: Kenwood KT-6500
    Phono Stage: K&K Maxed-Out
    TT: VPI TNT Mk-6/Trans-FI T3 Pro Air bearing tonearm/Ortofon Jubilee
    Speakers: Acoustic Zen's Adagios
    Cables: DIY twisted pair ICs, TG Audio Speaker Cables
    Breezeway
    Pre-amp: Cary SLP-98
    Phono stage: DIY AD797 Hypnotized
    Power-amp: Latino ST-120
    Tuner: Kenwood KT-7300
    CD: Arcam CD82
    TT: VPI TNT MK3.5/SME-V/Benz Glider/SDS
    Speakers: Salk HT 2TL-s
    Cables: DIY Twisted Pair, Star Quad Speaker Cables

i use Herbies on my recti and DHT. They help with microphonics of certain tubes.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I've used the red silicone rings, and felt they deadened the sound. Then I switched to Herbies and am very satisfied - you get what you pay for.

So far, most all dampers that I've tried did the job - only too well.

Sound seemed to lose life & energy.

IMO..
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Jim.......I agree. Recently I purchased four high-temp silicon o-rings from McMaster-Carr in the size that would be snug on my 12AT7 (Siemens ECC801S) driver tubes in a pair of McIntosh MC2301 tube power amps. I have been curious about tube dampers for years and decided to give them a whirl. Each MC2301 has two 12AT7's, one per channel. I tried positioning the dampers toward the bottom of the tubes, in the middle of the tubes, and near the top of the tubes. No matter where the dampers were positioned I experienced a slight reduction of upper mid-range clarity, slightly less air around voices and instruments. I spent a day with the dampers in each position before removing them and rediscovering the midrange air and energy that seemingly had been "damped". The o-rings now sit in my desk drawer and my curiosity has been satisfied.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    So far, most all dampers that I've tried did the job - only too well.

Sound seemed to lose life & energy.

IMO..

Well bottle vibration ( microphonics) is part of the toob lure , clamping down into the socket is best IMO ...

Not for DHTs.
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

just goes to show we love the euphoric distortion of tube gear !
    Cheers ! …. Dave

There are only two Philips PCC88's in my CJ GAT2, but the UK importer/distributor recommends listening without the supplied damping rings in situ.

It's subtle, but I agree with his advice!

I used some Herbie's on my KT-88 tubes, couldn't tell much difference. I probably ought to try some on the 6922's.

I also use the Herbie’s on all tubes of my Quicksilver full function preamp. Even the rectifier 6x4’s. My first impression was that they quieted down the preamp slightly. But to be honest, I could not say they provided any real improvement. Hey, they don’t degrade either. Like many tweaks, I gave them a try. They were cheap enough. I keep them in the preamp nonetheless. My Bedini CD demagnetizer is collecting dust in some nebulous draw though.
    == Joe ==

Last night and again this afternoon, I tried Herbie’s RX-50 dampers around the thick parts of a pair of Philips 5R4GYS rectis in a PrimaLuna Dialogue preamp. I found they lowered the pitch not for the better and generally sucked the life out of the music. Tapping on those tubes, I heard “dead” glass, no ringing or microphonics.
    Lampizator Atlantic TRP dac, Supratek Chardonnay preamp, Ric Schulz modified Oppo 203, ATC SCM19A active speakers, PS Audio PowerBase, P15 Regenerator AC-12 power cords, AV Roomservice EVPs, MG Audio AG2 XLR/RCA ICs, Purist Audio Design Neptune S/PDIF & HDMI cables, iFi S/PDIF Purifier w/ Paul Hynes SR4 LPS, SR Orange fuses, Furutech GTX-D (R) outlet, Samsung F8000 HDTV, Audioquest Carbon HDMI cable, CATV with Tii-220 cable filter, JL Audio e-110 subs in waiting.
    Desktop: Quad 12L active speakers, RAC ICs, Synergistic Research Black fuses

Any thoughts on Pearl Tube Coolers?

I'm using them in my Sonic Frontiers Line 1. I can't say yet whether they have any effect on the sound. Pearl sells them mainly on that they cool the tubes and/or disperse the heat over more of the tube service, supposedly lengthening the life of the tube. I can't comment on that either, but I suspect any positive effect would be greater for power tubes than for low current tubes.

However I suspect it's valid to say the mass of the Pearl Coolers is sufficient to make them decent dampers too.
    ~ Bill

Win10/Foobar2000 => Topping D90 DAC => Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE+ preamp => VTV Purifi 1ET400A stereo amp with Sparkos SS3602 op amps => Zaph Audio ZRT speakers (DIY) + PSB Subsonic 5 subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    Jim.......I agree. Recently I purchased four high-temp silicon o-rings from McMaster-Carr in the size that would be snug on my 12AT7 (Siemens ECC801S) driver tubes in a pair of McIntosh MC2301 tube power amps. I have been curious about tube dampers for years and decided to give them a whirl. Each MC2301 has two 12AT7's, one per channel. I tried positioning the dampers toward the bottom of the tubes, in the middle of the tubes, and near the top of the tubes. No matter where the dampers were positioned I experienced a slight reduction of upper mid-range clarity, slightly less air around voices and instruments. I spent a day with the dampers in each position before removing them and rediscovering the midrange air and energy that seemingly had been "damped". The o-rings now sit in my desk drawer and my curiosity has been satisfied.
    What am I hearing here? Is it that the pleasant spatial ambience or "holographic" effect from tubes is, indeed, caused by microphonics -- as some critics have insisted over the years?
    ~ Bill

Win10/Foobar2000 => Topping D90 DAC => Sonic Frontiers Line 1 SE+ preamp => VTV Purifi 1ET400A stereo amp with Sparkos SS3602 op amps => Zaph Audio ZRT speakers (DIY) + PSB Subsonic 5 subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
    Any thoughts on Pearl Tube Coolers?

I'm using them in my Sonic Frontiers Line 1. I can't say yet whether they have any effect on the sound. Pearl sells them mainly on that they cool the tubes and/or disperse the heat over more of the tube service, supposedly lengthening the life of the tube. I can't comment on that either, but I suspect any positive effect would be greater for power tubes than for low current tubes.

However I suspect it's valid to say the mass of the Pearl Coolers is sufficient to make them decent dampers too.
    I call those things tube roasters. They don't have enough contact area to allow heat dissipation, and enclosing the tube in a sleeve doesn't allow proper air flow.
    Dan Santoni

Authorized service for (in no particular order) - Copland, Cary, Unison Research, Allnic, Modwright, Ayon, Hegel, Belles, Aesthetix, Coincident, Zesto and a whole bunch more

Custom Manufacturer of Blackdog HiFi.

www.dtsaudioelectronics.com
    www.blackdoghifi.com

The only tube dampers I've actually heard work are these:
    www.thetubestore.com - Duende Criatura Tube Rings
    I find the Herbies nothing more than eye candy for tubes.
    The problem is that once a tube starts to become audibly microphonic pretty much nothing you can do will stop it.
    And it will progressively get worse.
    Dan Santoni

Authorized service for (in no particular order) - Copland, Cary, Unison Research, Allnic, Modwright, Ayon, Hegel, Belles, Aesthetix, Coincident, Zesto and a whole bunch more

Custom Manufacturer of Blackdog HiFi.

www.dtsaudioelectronics.com
    www.blackdoghifi.com

I think it is system-dependent, I never liked them, but they may work on an overly "bloomy" system.

I personally like the Herbies titanium HALO-IIIs. It would be hard to see how they would overdamp based on their construction, and sounded like an improvement to me v. nothing, or the silicone varieties.

ARC uses the silicone rings on their small signal tubes in their Reference equipment. I'm sure they listened to how they impacted the sound. As always YMMV.

I had a set of Ensemble tube Sox on a Jadis Pre--the damn things melted and were a bugger to get off without leaving skid marks on the Tubes.

I personally would not put dampers on any expensive tube--think if it burnt and left a singed rubber or similar product rings around your precious tube --

and it would not completely come off?--

Time comes to sell--um well

I'd give them a miss myself

YVMV

Bruce

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Tube dampers ?