Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: George Winston

George Winston

Last night my son and I saw George Winston in a very old historic state theater in Zumbrota Minnesota, a town about 50 minutes south the Twin Cities near Rochester. It was a very intimate setting, about 700 people. The concert was awesome. The acoustics were fantastic and no amplification was used.

He played his old music along with some jazz from the 20's,30's and 40's along with New Orleans Jazz. He also played the Hawaiian Slack Guitar and the Harmonica. He finished with Love Her Madly from the Doors on the piano which was fabulous.

My son is 25 and loves this type of music. It's funny because he always tell's me that I ruined him on music because he prefers just about all genre's of music except for hip hop and most of today's pop.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Super Moderator

Re: George Winston

That's great. I would have loved to have been there. I'm sure it was outstanding.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Excellent. I have had the pleasure of seeing George Winston twice. It is always an incredible show of musicianship.

Glad you enjoyed it, and kudos to your son for exploring and enjoying all genres of music.

C

He's got a new album out; has anyone here heard it?
    Rob
    Tascam BR-20; Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head, DeHavilland 222 tape head pre; Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS; Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS; MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out); Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair); Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s, VMPS Larger Sub; Daedalus/Wywires, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld, Shunyata Research cables; Core Power Equi=Power;
    Adona rack, ​​​​​Stillpoints, IsoPods, ASC, GIK Acoustics accessories

I saw George Winston a long time ago and he was terrific. It was Christmas time and he played a bunch of Vince Guaraldi from the Charlie Brown album.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    I saw George Winston a long time ago and he was terrific. It was Christmas time and he played a bunch of Vince Guaraldi from the Charlie Brown album.

Ken
    Most likely from this 1996 "Linus & Lucy" album!

2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Your son is a Renaissance man! Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Cooper View Post
    Excellent. I have had the pleasure of seeing George Winston twice. It is always an incredible show of musicianship.

Glad you enjoyed it, and kudos to your son for exploring and enjoying all genres of music.

C
    This was the 4th time that I have seen him. Always a good show. He did play some of Vince Guaraldi's peanuts tune's the other day.

My son has discovered my Windham Hill collection of artists. Last year I took my son to a music store which sells LP's and he bought several Windham Hill LP's. He is a budding audiophile and has all my hand me down gear- Parasound A21 amp, Van tube Alstine DAC and tube preamp. And now a DIY Pass B1 preamp/buffer and a vintage Pioneer PL-55dx TT. He is starting to appreciate some Classical music and loves vocal jazz along with classic RR. Interestingly, he pointed out to me that he would never have learned to appreciate some of this music without a good audio system.

Wednesday night we are going to see Stacy Kent the jazz singer along with Jim Tomlinson at the Dakota Jazz club in Minneapolis. It is another intimate dinner club and bar and we have seats in front of the stage.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-bo...r-mw0000314615
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

I enjoy many of the other Windham Hill artists - Michael Hedges, William Ackerman (one of the founders), Alex De Grassi, Tuck & Patti, John Gorka, The Nylons. They made some excellent sounding recordings, similar to Sheffield Labs, GRP, and Telarc.

Nice setup he has there. Well recorded audio on a good system can easily reel one in. Of course, you have to have the audiophile bug in you to begin with.

I received my CD copy of Stacey Kent - The Boy Next Door as a free gift when I bought my B&O BeoCom 3 telephone. The Bang & Olufsen store had a choice of a couple of new artist CDs they were giving away with a qualifying purchase. Glad I "picked" her, as I simply love that album.

Enjoy the show,

C

We saw him about a year ago in a medium size auditorium, perfect for a show such as his. Up 'til then I did now know he also played the slack guitar and harmonica during his concerts. Mr. Winston mentioned that he goes on the road with two different repertoires, a winter show and a summer show.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

George Winston