Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

random shutdown of my REF-75se

Last night, my REF-75se shut down unexpectedly after more than three hours of continuous play with no sonic issues. I have it connected to my ARC SP-20 preamp with a 12v trigger cable, so my first thought was I'd somehow pressed the power button on the remote, but the SP-20 was still on. Both units are 540 hours old. There have been no prior malfunctions except for a meter lamp on the amplifier which flickered intermittently between 250 and 350 hours then stopped.

I turned off the SP-20 manually and waited ten minutes.

I powered up both units again using the remote (which powers the SP-20 first and the REF-75 a second later) and they both came on. I played a few songs and then, after about 13 minutes, the amp shut down again, by itself. This time I noticed a soft pop when it powered off.

Somehow instead of screwing around with my amp all night I went to bed. This morning, I checked all connections to power and speakers and made an exhaustive examination of everything behind my gear. All was well. Then I removed the 12v trigger cable from both units, turned off the meter lights, and created more air space on the left side of the REF-75. It is open to the room on the right side and has about ten inches of clearance in the back. There's about eight inches clearance above (where the also tube-powered SP-20 rests on the upper shelf) and five or so inches clearance below. I turned on the ceiling fan.

When I powered up both units manually, they played fine. I played music for about ten minutes without a problem. Because of a previously scheduled event I was forced to shut down the components and leave. That's where we stand.

I'm out of my league here, but I'm hoping the unit overheated (somehow for the first time ever in my rack) and that the measures I've taken will address this. Or, perhaps there's something funky about the voltage in the trigger cable and my problem is there. If none of those, I fear a long chat with Kal and some boxes are in my future, which makes me sad.

Does anyone have any guesses other than what I came up with?
    ProAc Response D30R
    ARC REF-75se
    ARC SP-20
    Rega DAC-R
    VPI Prime/Ortofon Cadenza Blue
    MacMini/Audirvana
    Shunyata Venom cables/power/intercncts
    Quadraspire SV2T bamboo shelf

Super Moderator

Re: random shutdown of my REF-75se

Sorry to read about the issues. Hopefully it's nothing serious but it's certainly frustrating.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

That sounds frustrating. It would drive me crazy. Hopefully you have been able to resolve it.
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Today I had friends over for Opening Day of the MLB season. Played music before we went to eat, thirty five or so minutes with no trouble. After the game we played vinyl for more than two hours and again, all was well. No sudden shutdown. Again, the main changes I made were to remove the trigger cable, switch off the meter lamps, and create more open space on the left side of the amp. If I can't use a trigger cable anymore, I can live with that, I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ProAc Response D30R
    ARC REF-75se
    ARC SP-20
    Rega DAC-R
    MacMini/Audirvana

Super Moderator

That's great news, hopefully you'll be good for a while. I hope that's all it is, fingers crossed.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

It sounds like you may have gotten it resolved. I certainly hope this is the case and good for you!
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Probably a faulty trigger cable....

I was thinking that as well. I once tried using trigger cables on my amplifiers, but I have decided that I do not like them; I would rather turn each component on and off from it's own power control.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Great to hear - you can measure the temperature to confirm under 120 degrees. Seems you have quite a bit of space above though.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    I was thinking that as well. I once tried using trigger cables on my amplifiers, but I have decided that I do not like them; I would rather turn each component on and off from it's own power control.
    Can you guys tell me how a trigger cable works? Is there a one-time signal to power up the slave component and another to power off? Or a continuous signal?

I also feel comfortable switching each component individually. I can live without the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ProAc Response D30R
    ARC REF-75se
    ARC SP-20
    Rega DAC-R
    MacMini/Audirvana

last time I had a valve amp [not arc] cut out after long playing , it proved to be it needed a bigger heatsink . had one fitted and all was fine . that was with a 6 year old amp but the 75se is a newish model so not sure what this is . keep us posted
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    last time I had a valve amp [not arc] cut out after long playing , it proved to be it needed a bigger heatsink . had one fitted and all was fine . that was with a 6 year old amp but the 75se is a newish model so not sure what this is . keep us posted
    I did a number of things to address the problem. I cleared more space around the amp for additional air flow, turned off the meter lamps (why not right?), and removed the trigger cable. For several weeks, the amp worked perfectly when powered up manually. I bought a new, shorter cable and finally installed it last week. So far it's worked perfectly, with no unexpected shutdowns. I don't know if it was the cable or not, but that seemed like a good guess.

It's possible the old cable was faulty somehow, or that it wasn't perfectly seated in the jack(s) previously.

I think the problem is resolved. Fingers crossed!
    ProAc Response D30R
    ARC REF-75se
    ARC SP-20
    Rega DAC-R
    MacMini/Audirvana

Quote Originally Posted by GreyMouse View Post
    I did a number of things to address the problem. I cleared more space around the amp for additional air flow, turned off the meter lamps (why not right?), and removed the trigger cable. For several weeks, the amp worked perfectly when powered up manually. I bought a new, shorter cable and finally installed it last week. So far it's worked perfectly, with no unexpected shutdowns. I don't know if it was the cable or not, but that seemed like a good guess.

It's possible the old cable was faulty somehow, or that it wasn't perfectly seated in the jack(s) previously.

One easy test to confirm is putting a food thermometer on top after a half hour - should be 120 degrees or less.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by GreyMouse View Post

brilliant , just might try a 75se sometime
    1]bel canto EIX/ F5 monoblocks . BC cd2, tannoy eaton legacy 2]bel canto pre 5 ,arcam a85 , black ice modded dac
    modded dac , marantz sa8005, Verity audio Rienzi

Super Moderator

It's probably one of ARC's best amps. I'd like to play with one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    brilliant , just might try a 75se sometime

NAD C 658 streamer.

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    It's probably one of ARC's best amps. I'd like to play with one as well.
    There's no question the sound is unimpeachable. My only fear with the trigger cable quirk was I might be without this amazing amp for several weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ProAc Response D30R
    ARC REF-75se
    ARC SP-20
    Rega DAC-R
    MacMini/Audirvana

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

random shutdown of my REF-75se