random shutdown of my REF-75se - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: random shutdown of my REF-75se

last time I had a valve amp [not arc] cut out after long playing , it proved to be it needed a bigger heatsink . had one fitted and all was fine . that was with a 6 year old amp but the 75se is a newish model so not sure what this is . keep us posted
    modwright 36.5dm . msb s200 . Marantz sa8005, bel canto 3.5 vbs , bel canto fm1 tuner . proac 125 speakers

2. Thanks GreyMouse thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    last time I had a valve amp [not arc] cut out after long playing , it proved to be it needed a bigger heatsink . had one fitted and all was fine . that was with a 6 year old amp but the 75se is a newish model so not sure what this is . keep us posted
    I did a number of things to address the problem. I cleared more space around the amp for additional air flow, turned off the meter lamps (why not right?), and removed the trigger cable. For several weeks, the amp worked perfectly when powered up manually. I bought a new, shorter cable and finally installed it last week. So far it's worked perfectly, with no unexpected shutdowns. I don't know if it was the cable or not, but that seemed like a good guess.

It's possible the old cable was faulty somehow, or that it wasn't perfectly seated in the jack(s) previously.

I think the problem is resolved. Fingers crossed!
    ProAc Response D30R
    ARC REF-75se
    ARC SP-20
    Rega DAC-R
    VPI Prime/Ortofon Cadenza Blue
    MacMini/Audirvana
    Shunyata Venom cables/power/intercncts
    Quadraspire SV2T bamboo shelf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreyMouse View Post
    I did a number of things to address the problem. I cleared more space around the amp for additional air flow, turned off the meter lamps (why not right?), and removed the trigger cable. For several weeks, the amp worked perfectly when powered up manually. I bought a new, shorter cable and finally installed it last week. So far it's worked perfectly, with no unexpected shutdowns. I don't know if it was the cable or not, but that seemed like a good guess.

It's possible the old cable was faulty somehow, or that it wasn't perfectly seated in the jack(s) previously.

One easy test to confirm is putting a food thermometer on top after a half hour - should be 120 degrees or less.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ 47 Labs MC Bee cart, MSB Analog DAC --> Music First Baby Reference v2 --> Audio Research Ref 75SE --> DeVore Fidelity Gibbon X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GreyMouse View Post

brilliant , just might try a 75se sometime
    modwright 36.5dm . msb s200 . Marantz sa8005, bel canto 3.5 vbs , bel canto fm1 tuner . proac 125 speakers

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

It's probably one of ARC's best amps. I'd like to play with one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    brilliant , just might try a 75se sometime
    Joe

McIntosh MCLK12, McIntosh MC303, Job INTegrated, Triode Corporation TRX-M845 Monoblocks, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Falcon LS3/5a, Sonus Faber Stradivari, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch Palladium P17-b, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Lumin U1. PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge II, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    It's probably one of ARC's best amps. I'd like to play with one as well.
    There's no question the sound is unimpeachable. My only fear with the trigger cable quirk was I might be without this amazing amp for several weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ProAc Response D30R
    ARC REF-75se
    ARC SP-20
    Rega DAC-R
    VPI Prime/Ortofon Cadenza Blue
    MacMini/Audirvana
    Shunyata Venom cables/power/intercncts
    Quadraspire SV2T bamboo shelf

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2