Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Shindo Monbrison landed...

Hi guys,
    Just a few words about a nice Monbrison that I just got. This is the old version, without the window in the front plate.

In my living room system I wanted to downgrade and sold a few months ago my CJ Premier 17LS, to use my dac as a preamp. ( The AMR DP777 has an inboard preamp for digital sources and 2 analog inputs ).
    I knew that I would have to give up some musicality. The beginning was tough. I really missed the 17. The sound was too thin, without the texture and rich tonality of the 17. But I finally got used to it.
    Until I found this Monbrison on the used market.
    I could not resist the temptation.

The Monbrison drives a Nagra MSA power amp. To the Rega RS10 speakers.
    Here is a pic of the room before getting the Monbrison :

I am extremely happy with the sound. This preamp is more extraverted than the mighty Giscours in my main system. But keeps an incredible insight into the music.
    Only Shindo owners can understand what we mean when we say that nothing can replace a Shindo preamplifier. With the right power amp, they make decent systems sounding like million dollars ones.
    The only problem is the gain. Really high. Much more than my Giscours. I did not expect that. Although I set the MSA at the 2V sensitivity, I really do not have a wide run of the Monbrison volume control. I could live with that anyway.
    A power amp with a real adjustable gain is way better for some Shindo preamps.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Re: Shindo Monbrison landed...

Nice! How do yo like the RS10's? You don't see those much here in the US.
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

Audioshark

Nice! Congrats.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Quote Originally Posted by sheltie1 View Post
    Nice! How do yo like the RS10's? You don't see those much here in the US.
    Thanks !
    Neither you can see them a lot in France or even in UK. Rega did not sell many of them.
    Seems that for most people, Rega cannot be associated with high quality. Too bad.
    These RS10 are wonderfully crafted and they sound delicious. Very clean and refined sound. Very natural. The larger part of the spectrum is reproduced by the small full range driver. Which gives stunning easiness and coherence.
    Shindo, Nagra, Electrocompaniet, Harbeth, AMR, Mc Intosh, Auditorium 23, Rega, DeVore, JC Verdier, WireWorld, Kimber

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Nice! Congrats.
    Thanks Mike !

Jerome,

What a wonderful system and a stunning room! Congratulations!

The "Japanese" sound (e.g., Kondo, Shindo) is often described as "polite" by those preferring a more dynamic and full range sound. But there is a musical purity to the "polite" sound that unmistakably adds soul and engagement that is addictive in a properly balanced system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Quote Originally Posted by cmarin View Post
    Jerome,

What a wonderful system and a stunning room! Congratulations!

The "Japanese" sound (e.g., Kondo, Shindo) is often described as "polite" by those preferring a more dynamic and full range sound. But there is a musical purity to the "polite" sound that unmistakably adds soul and engagement that is addictive in a properly balanced system.

Thanks Carlos.
    I would not say " polite". But extremely natural.

Yes agree. Natural is a more appropriate term.

Rockport Lyra speakers; TotalDac Amp-1 mono blocks; four box CH Precision L1/X1 pre/power supply monos; CH precision P1/X1 phono/power supply; TotalDac d1-driver monos; Pacific Microsonics Model 2 DAC; TotalDac d1-12 MkII DAC with two reclockers; Kodo The Beat Turnatable with LT Schroder magnesium tonearm and Lyra Atlas cart; Taiko Extreme server; Kalista Dreamplayer CD Transport; Taiko Audio Daiza Platforms; Nordost Odin2 Power Cords and Analog ICs; 512 Engineering/Tim Marutani Balanced Transformers (30 amp for sources; 50 amp for amps); Rives designed dedicated room.

Having owned an Aurieges, a Monbrison and now a Masseto, I agree that 'natural' is a good description as is 'full bodied', 'ballsy' and 'smile inducing'. And with a tonal beauty that is hard to beat. The high gain of these preamps has been a challenge (in power amp matching) for me also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pallen View Post
    Having owned an Aurieges, a Monbrison and now a Masseto, I agree that 'natural' is a good description as is 'full bodied', 'ballsy' and 'smile inducing'. And with a tonal beauty that is hard to beat. The high gain of these preamps has been a challenge (in power amp matching) for me also.
    Tonal beauty is a very simple yet completely accurate when it comes to Shindo preamps.
    Obviously these preamps are not "neutral" in the hifi sense of the word. They do something very difficult to express.
    Like a full deep massage to the signal. You remove it from the system and all the beauty of the music just vanishes.
    They magnify anything you throw at them. While not sounding boring by coloring always the sound with the same shade.
    I have been extremely impressed by my Giscours. And after all these years, I am still very impressed by the Monbrison.

Monbrison in the main system.
    With CCQs.
    Shindo IC's and speaker cables to home made Altec speakers inspired by the Petite Latour.
    807 compression driver with W32 horn. And 414A 16 ohms replaced by the more efficient 414Z, still 16 ohms but going from 95/96 dB to 100 dB.
    No use with the CCQs but I also use some days in that system 300B SET monoblocks and a MC225.

The Monbrison performs extremely well with the CCQs. The Giscours will not be "needed" in most set ups I believe.
    As Art Dudley and Jonathan Halpern say, there is no real hierarchy in the preamplifiers line. More lateral change.
    In absolute terms the Giscours is better. But for musical emotions, you could prefer the Monbrison with the CCQs in my room.
    The Monbrison is really a blessing compared to its price tag, especially on the used market. But also if you have to buy it new.
    I have been a long time McIntosh fan.
    But the best McIntosh preamp of all times ( C1000 but I did not hear the new C1100 ) cannot reach half of what a Monbrison does.
    No remote. No balance adjustment. No HT pass through. Not balanced. But SO MUCH MORE MUSIC AND EMOTIONS.
    A really different world compared to the classical even high end industrial products.

There are probably not many preamplifiers on the market able to compete with a Shindo preamplifier. Or spending fortunes on a Kondo maybe....
    The only thing close to it is not in audio : a traditional Thai massage made by a Master ! Lol !

I will describe more the differences between the Giscours and the Monbrison in a few days.

It has been said that there is no hierarchy in the amplifiers. There is said to be absolute hierarchy in the preamps. That said, many people have preferred the old Monbrison to subsequent versions claiming that it retains the old Shindo sound which you have so accurately described vs a belief that the newer models have modernized the sound. I possess no opinion on that as I have never heard this model.

Quote Originally Posted by kev313 View Post
    It has been said that there is no hierarchy in the amplifiers. There is said to be absolute hierarchy in the preamps. That said, many people have preferred the old Monbrison to subsequent versions claiming that it retains the old Shindo sound which you have so accurately described vs a belief that the newer models have modernized the sound. I possess no opinion on that as I have never heard this model.

Hi Kev.
    My mistake then.
    Anyway in absolute terms the Giscours is better. But one could prefer the old Monbrison without having to feel special.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post
    Hi Kev.
    My mistake then.
    Anyway in absolute terms the Giscours is better. But one could prefer the old Monbrison without having to feel special.
    I think that Monbrison might be a special piece and is worth seeking out. It's a very. Ice addition to your system. I had the modern Monbrison. Still excellent, but the VR was a significant improvement.

Monbrison missed so many of the qualities of the mono preamps that it could only be described as a downscaled version of a superior preamp from Shindo or the poor mans Shindo.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Monbrison missed so many of the qualities of the mono preamps that it could only be described as a downscaled version of a superior preamp from Shindo or the poor mans Shindo.
    Oh thank goodness. I used to think I was the biggest @&$! on the forums.

Just my observation based on listening experience.
    “Truth never damages a cause that is just.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    Not my opinion.
    The Monbrison is very far from being a little preamp or a poor man one's.
    Depending on your room / speakers / power amp(s) synergy, the Monbrison could even sound better than the Giscours.
    I will elaborate on this later....

If the sm

Congrats. Beautiful room !
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Congrats. Beautiful room !
    Thanks Adam !

I have listened for a few days to the Monbrison in place of the Giscours in my main system.
    I could not test the Monbrison phono inputs. They are noisy and without enough gain on a SPU so I ordered new tubes.
    Tests were made only with digital.
    Both preamps are very different.
    With my CCQs amps and Altec based speakers, with Shindo IC's and speaker cables, here are the differences that I got.
    The Giscours is more silent. More relaxed and laid back. It is also darker, less shiny. The timbres are a bit more refined. The bass goes a bit lower. The stereo scene is huge and very deep.
    The Giscours sounds like a "serious" guy. Working in a bank. With a perfectly ironed shirt and suit.
    The Monbrison sounds more alive. Faster. The bass goes maybe less low but is more punchy and has more authority. The treble is more shiny and sparkling. Opposite to the laid back Giscours, the Monbrison is very extraverted.
    The Monbrison is a young rock guitar player living during the night and sleeping in daytime. Compared to the Giscours banker. Not the "ideal" husband for your daughter. But maybe the one that will make her more "alive" and less bored.
    On my system, the synergy is clearly towards the Monbrison. The sound is more engaging, more foot taping. The timbres are still beautiful and charming. The bad boy is handsome.

My Giscours performs flawlessly. It has not been modified by anyone.
    I prefer the Monbrison for digital over both my Giscours and my CJ GAT.

Your Giscours is heavily moded and no old stock original Giscours. So you can compare only on this basis, worthless for all other Shindo users.
    And because of its non- original condition its nearly worth nothing for Shindo collectors.
    You could expect more faults in Monbrison than tubes only. Just a hint from expert user of old gear.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team