Measuring AC Power Line Noise - Page 6
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Measuring AC Power Line Noise

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    My Sound room & office have their own transformer on a pole about 20' behind the building. Separately fed (and billed by the power company) from the house feed which comes in from a different pole & transformer.

Readings are generally 175-125 in my demo room, on dedicated circuits. House readings can be as high as 2000, depending on where I measure and what is running.

Wish I had a way to try a power conditioner & measure the results. Don't know if my readings are high or not. I thought of visiting my local dealer who is a friend and measure his readings with & without the P.C. in his store. But he has AQ, not Shunyata.

The sound here is very dynamic, yet very quiet & smooth, but I still have that perfectionist disease...
    Jim, I was wondering if you ended up trying the Denali Conditioner and if you found it helped your system?

I have tested the power in my room with the Alpha meter getting consistent readings around 250 mV and am curious
    if a conditioner would be useful for my relatively low powered system: 30 watt/channel tube amp and high efficiency
    horn speakers.

And finally, if you have any thoughts comparing Shunyata offerings to PS Audio's? Thanks
    Source: Roon via Mac Pro Server and Lumin S1. Amp: Mastersound Compact 845 w/ Elrog power tubes. Speakers: AvantGarde Duo Grossos, JL Audio e112 subs. Cables: Alan Maher Designs Power, High Fidelity Cables for speaker and interconnects. Audioquest Diamond ethernet. Noise filtration from Alan Maher Designs. Room Treatment from Vicoustic.

Post Thanks / Like

Any power line noise measurements need to be made with the circuit loaded. I use a 500 watt oil filled room heater near the meter test point.

But on the other hand, much of the power line noise will be generated by the hi-fi components themselves, so also test using the hi-fi system rather than the dummy load.

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Audio Research, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Bryston, Chord, ClearAudio Turntables & Accessories, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Headphones, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Furutech, Gryphon Audio, iFi Audio, ISO Acoustics, KEF Loudspeakers, Kimber Kable, KL Audio Record Cleaning Machines, KR Audio Tube & Amps, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MicroMega, MIT Cables, MSB Technologies, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables, REL Acoustics, Roon Labs, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, SRA, Stein Music, Stillpoints, T+A Electronics, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Alpha Labs makes some nice meters that wound be useful in tracking down the noise makers around the home. But follow my above post or you may be chasing phantoms.

And a lot of the bad readings have no impact on sound quality. Good circuit designers know how to deal with AC power.
    Last edited by Speedskater; March 5, 2018 at 06:25 PM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    Jim, I was wondering if you ended up trying the Denali Conditioner and if you found it helped your system?
    Nope, never got around to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Willco View Post
    And finally, if you have any thoughts comparing Shunyata offerings to PS Audio's? Thanks
    My last comparison was at least 5 years ago. I preferred - and purchased - the Shunyata then.

I don't use any power conditioning in the new room.
    MBP (3), stripped down for music only; Curious USB; Lush USB; PS Audio LanRover; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Audioquest Diamond ethernet; Audioquest Diamond AES; Schiit Yggdrasil - updated; PS Audio Direct Stream DAC & Transport; Ayre QB-9 DSD; Ayre Codex; ASR Emitter II Exclusive; all electronics on Grand Prix Audio stands; mass-loaded Tannoy Canterburys on custom stands; Outboard Duelund xover bypassing internal Tannoy xover & Tannoy EQ; bi-wired with Duelund DCA16GA speaker cables; mass-loaded REL 212 SEs; Duelund DCA20GA ICs; Stealth Dream PCs; dedicated custom room; various room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

6. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Just found an Entech Line Analyzer for a reasonable price but have not received. I thought about the Alpha Labs meter but I could not find any online manual and does not appear to be contact info readily available.

From online sources, cover of Entech unit says to adjust the noise meter to get 80-120 on display with Over-Range light OFF.

I assume this is done with unit unplugged?

Is Entech suggesting that 80-120 is an acceptable range? I am guessing less is more.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Joe

Audio Research Ref 10 preamp, D'Agostino Momentum M400 monos, McIntosh MCLK12, Luxman C900u, Job INTegrated, Accuphase A-36, Cary 300B SE, JBL 4367, Revel Ultima Studio 2, JBL 4312D, Klipsch RP-160M, Klipsch RB-75, KEF LS50, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES, ASL Wave monos, Kimber RCA and XLR cable, VPI Classic 3, VPI SDS, Lyra Kleos, Burmester 948, Metric Halo LIO-8, Linear Tube Audio MZ2 - MicroZOTL2.0 Preamplifier, BorderPatrol SE Dac.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joeinid View Post
    Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Thanks, Joe.

Noticed that Jim Smith is a member...have read his "Get Better Sound" book and applied a portion of his guidance.

10. Likes joeinid, a.wayne liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What are some suggestions on a real analizer that will test for high frequency noise, harmonics, DC etc. Anyone know a good all purpose tool?

Post Thanks / Like

Well designed hi-fi components should be able to deal with a goodly amount of power line junk. The real question is does any of this junk get to the audio line or speaker outputs. The easiest measurement is the output signal to noise ratio. With other equipment a FFT test and an O-scope looking for out of band problems.

13. Likes CGabriel liked this post

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6