Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Magico M3 arrived today

I have compared the Mephisto to Luxman m900u (on TAD CR1), the Colosseum to the Burmester 956 (on Kef Blades and Gryphon Pantheon speakers), and heard the Antileon Evo Sig on its own with Dynaudio Temptations.

I think Vitus has the better tone, density, that class A liquidity and fluidity, while Gryphon has more speed, detail, and jump. Annapolis Raider had both and chose the Gryphon, Audioblazer on WBF chose Vitus after having both.

I have never directly compared the D’Ags but they remain the best amps I heard the Alexandria X2S2s with. So I think Adam’s shortlist is excellent.

So my top SS amps if I had the money would be D’Ags and Vitus, followed by Symphonic Line Kraft (rare in the used market, class A 3400 – 400w), and Luxman m900u (cheapest good amp if you cannot afford the higher priced amps). Loved the Berning Quads but not sure how well they drive tougher loads.

IME the Kraft showed a much higher delta to Burmester 911 (on Magico S5 and B&W 802 D3) than the Colosseum did to the 956. It had all the attributes of class liquidity and fluidity with speed and bass. Problem is availability and distribution

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    They had parted ways a few months back, unfortunately.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    Unfortunately - there is no Gryphon distributon in Poland. Besides, that would violate audiophile rule #1: don't borrow stuff, you cannot afford to buy

In the meantime, the M3s are burning in nicely in my living room system:

Nice!! When will you move them to your main room?
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Next week as I'm just boarding a plane and flying to Prague to visit their HiFi Show.
    Adam

Next week as I'm just boarding a plane and flying to Prague to visit their HiFi Show.
    In Prague try to listen Blockaudio pre+power

Marcin

Like the design and layout of the Block built pre and amps ....

http://www.blockaudio.com/reviews/au...AUDIO%20EN.pdf

I do not have one. I'm trying to be open minded. The three amps I would like to try first are:

- Vitus SM-011 and SM-103
    - D'Agostiono Momentum
    how about the Soulution 511?
    System: Magico S1 MkII, DCS Puccini Player & Clock, Aurender N100C, SME Mod 15, SME IV, Lyra Etna, Nagra VPS
    Headfi: Violectric HPA V281, Sony Z1R, Kimber Axios Cu
    Cables: Transparent Premium USB, Gen5 Reference 75 Ohm, Ultra interconnects, phono and speaker cables
    Power: Shunyata EU7, Alpha NR, Furutech Powerflux-18E
    Accessories: Finite Elemente 600 APS, several Cerabases, Ceraballs and Cerapucs

I have heard the 511 monos at Munich High-end 2016 and ... I liked the combination (much to my suprise). They are a bit more than I would like to spend (at least in mono configuration), but maybe a single stereo piece would work in my 14x19 listening room ... who knows. I will have to find out.
    Adam

I have heard the 511 monos at Munich High-end 2016 and ... I liked the combination (much to my suprise). They are a bit more than I would like to spend (at least in mono configuration), but maybe a single stereo piece would work in my 14x19 listening room ... who knows. I will have to find out.
    They seem to have a huge amount of power reserve, so it could work. In stereo configuration it is competitively priced, compared to a Momentum Stereo, but I don't know if they are at the same level.
    I'm now demoing a Nagra Classic Int with my S1MkII and they are not behind my current setup of GS150 + Ref 5SE, being less than half the price, so sometimes less is more.
    System: Magico S1 MkII, DCS Puccini Player & Clock, Aurender N100C, SME Mod 15, SME IV, Lyra Etna, Nagra VPS
    Headfi: Violectric HPA V281, Sony Z1R, Kimber Axios Cu
    Cables: Transparent Premium USB, Gen5 Reference 75 Ohm, Ultra interconnects, phono and speaker cables
    Power: Shunyata EU7, Alpha NR, Furutech Powerflux-18E
    Accessories: Finite Elemente 600 APS, several Cerabases, Ceraballs and Cerapucs

Unfortunately - there is no Gryphon distributon in Poland. Besides, that would violate audiophile rule #1: don't borrow stuff, you cannot afford to buy

In the meantime, the M3s are burning in nicely in my living room system:

Get another pair for your main room. M3s look too cozy in your family room to move. Magico M3 arrived today

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    So my top SS amps if I had the money would be D’Ags and Vitus, followed by Symphonic Line Kraft (rare in the used market, class A 3400 – 400w), and Luxman m900u (cheapest good amp if you cannot afford the higher priced amps). Loved the Berning Quads but not sure how well they drive tougher loads.

IME the Kraft showed a much higher delta to Burmester 911 (on Magico S5 and B&W 802 D3) than the Colosseum did to the 956. It had all the attributes of class liquidity and fluidity with speed and bass. Problem is availability and distribution

Interesting! I did not know the Symphonic Line Krafts were in this league.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
    Thats a good start , all great amplifiers and I'm a fan of the DAG momentum , would also suggest taking a look at the AVM Ovation MA8.2 Monobloc's...
    Impressive specs http://www.stereophile.com/content/a...ctEpxieR1k1.97

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    Interesting! I did not know the Symphonic Line Krafts were in this league.
    I am not saying they are in Dag/Vitus league. I wouldn't know as I haven't compared. But for those like me who don't have the budget, get a Luxman m900u or an used Kraft (the used Kraft is available at ridiculous prices, but very rare). The Kraft is faster than the Lux and can drive down to 1 ohm.

I have compared the Mephisto to Luxman m900u (on TAD CR1), the Colosseum to the Burmester 956 (on Kef Blades and Gryphon Pantheon speakers), and heard the Antileon Evo Sig on its own with Dynaudio Temptations.

I think Vitus has the better tone, density, that class A liquidity and fluidity, while Gryphon has more speed, detail, and jump. Annapolis Raider had both and chose the Gryphon, Audioblazer on WBF chose Vitus after having both.

I have never directly compared the D’Ags but they remain the best amps I heard the Alexandria X2S2s with. So I think Adam’s shortlist is excellent.

Very interesting.

Do you have any idea where the PASS XS300 fall in comparison to the amps you have listed?

Quote Originally Posted by kkfan View Post
    Very interesting.

Do you have any idea where the PASS XS300 fall in comparison to the amps you have listed?
    Hi I haven't heard that model but my experience with lower models of Pass is that they have a nice class A tone, liquidity, though a bit slow. The liquidity and tonality reminds me of Vitus but I would prefer the latter.

I did find the 160.5 struggled to drive the big TADs however, so maybe best used for easier to drive speakers?

Thanks for sharing your views!

Hi I haven't heard that model but my experience with lower models of Pass is that they have a nice class A tone, liquidity, though a bit slow. The liquidity and tonality reminds me of Vitus but I would prefer the latter.

I did find the 160.5 struggled to drive the big TADs however, so maybe best used for easier to drive speakers?

Audioshark

Bonzo - curious where you would put the infamous Gryphon amps in this list.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Congrats. They look great.

...So my top SS amps if I had the money would be D’Ags and Vitus, followed by Symphonic Line Kraft (rare in the used market, class A 3400 – 400w), and Luxman m900u (cheapest good amp if you cannot afford the higher priced amps). Loved the Berning Quads but not sure how well they drive tougher loads...
    Halcro is going to be back on the hi-end SS amplifier radar come September, and at more hip pocket friendly prices. Stay tuned for that one...

Audioshark

Hi Ctsooner. Was great meeting you on Saturday.

At last I have found some time to move them to my listening room:

I didn’t have to listen yet, apart from 60s sound check. My feeling is that they need 200h-300h burn in which I’m gonna do in the coming week or two.
    Adam

What is a 60s sound check?

Audioshark

Adam, they really look great in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you play the first 60s (or 15s) of a song just to see if the system works
    Adam

Looks wheely good!

that is a great system!
    enjoy!
    looking really good.
    Speakers: Boenicke W13SE+ ֿ/ Clarisys Audio Auditorium
    Preamp: CH Precision L1
    Amp: CH Precision M1.1
    Cables: mostly Fono Acustica, VYDA, SAEC
    Digital: CH Precision C1.2+ Streaming hd board/ RoonLab NUCLEUS/ SOtM Lan switches and clocks. / Aries Cerat Helene
    TT:TT 1- V.Y.G.E.R INDIAN SIGNATURE + TITAN (KV9vta max /SAEC 4700 - second arm rotation)
    TT 2 - CSPORT TATM2 + LINEAR ARM (SAEC 4700 second arm rotation)
    Carts':AIDAS Tibetan Yak gold LE, Top Wing Red Sparrow, Etsuro Urushi GOLD, Sumile, Kondo IO-X, DS audio W3....
    Phono: CH Precision P1+X1
    Racks: ROGUZ carbon, ASR platform Ohio XL ...
    Power treatment Ps Audio P10 ֿ/ VYDA PD1

Magico M3 arrived today

Quote Originally Posted by Melbguy1 View Post
    Looks wheely good!
    I see what you did there Magico M3 arrived todayMagico M3 arrived today

Speakers - Magico S5mk2 Integrated - Vitus SIA-025 Analog - Vpi Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze Digital - Lumin A1
    Power - Shunyata Denali 6000S/Alpha HC/Alpha Digital Cables - Kimber KS-6063/Nordost Frey IC

Audioshark

"M" must stand for musical. Just saying...love my M3's.

I do not have one. I'm trying to be open minded. The three amps I would like to try first are:

- Vitus SM-011 and SM-103
    - D'Agostiono Momentum

The Vitus dealer in my town has a used demo pair of SM-102 half price off... I was listening to them last weekend ;-). ...Could be the "budget" solution you're looking for ;-)

You can also find the pair on audio-markt!

Inviato dal mio iPad utilizzando Tapatalk
    Speaker: Gauder Akustik Berlina RC7 Diamond Black Edition DV
    Power-Amp: Grandinote Demone
    Pre-Amp: Grandinote Domino
    Digital: TAD D1000 MkII; Auralic Aries G1 with modified LPS; QNAP HS 251+ (via Wifi)
    Cables: Wireworld Gold and Platinum Eclipse
    Power: Dedicated power line and dedicated grounding; Furutech wall socket; Furman IT Ref 16 IE; HMS Energia SL/OV
    Rack: Bassocontinuo Reference Line Accordeon

How about the T+A HV amps + external PSU?

Once the Qpods are installed and the pins are pulled, are they easy to move aroundon hardwood?

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan View Post
    Once the Qpods are installed and the pins are pulled, are they easy to move aroundon hardwood?
    Can you clarify? You don't want to ever pull the pins and move the M3's.

Qpods don't have pins.

Thanks for the info. I meant Mpods.

Audioshark

Thanks for the info. I meant Mpods.
    NEVER pull the pins and try to move the speakers with MPOD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    NEVER pull the pins and try to move the speakers with MPOD's.
    Agreed!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, Adam
    We are still waiting for your impressions and analysis of the M3 sound, and perhaps comparison with the S5mk2.
    I believe the system is well burned in now and the speakers sound at least as gorgeous as they look.
    Looking forward to read the story

All the best!

Just received my M3 10 days ago and just loving it!
    Only System: ANALOGUE: VPI accessories (JMW 12.7 arm, Rim Drive, Periphery Ring, Stainless Steel Delrin Clamp and HRX Super Platter). Custom solid steel plinth and Stainless Steel armpod. Shelter 7000 Cartridge with DIY Pass XONO Phono. DIGITAL: Marantz SA11S3. AMP/PRE: Marantz PM11S3. CABLES: DIY Cables called "sweet spot reveals". SPEAKERS: DIY 2.5 way Scanspeak 97000 tweeter, 18W8545K midrange and 22W8555 Woofer. Called GeerS eVe II, a Tony Gee and Edgar Beers design.

Just received my M3 10 days ago and just loving it!

So Adam, how are the M3 sounding?
    Only System: ANALOGUE: VPI accessories (JMW 12.7 arm, Rim Drive, Periphery Ring, Stainless Steel Delrin Clamp and HRX Super Platter). Custom solid steel plinth and Stainless Steel armpod. Shelter 7000 Cartridge with DIY Pass XONO Phono. DIGITAL: Marantz SA11S3. AMP/PRE: Marantz PM11S3. CABLES: DIY Cables called "sweet spot reveals". SPEAKERS: DIY 2.5 way Scanspeak 97000 tweeter, 18W8545K midrange and 22W8555 Woofer. Called GeerS eVe II, a Tony Gee and Edgar Beers design.

My sound great too, although I'm so busy at work right now, that I barely have any time to listen to them (apart from some background music). They are even more transparent than the S5 mk 2, which - as an ex S5 mk 2 owner - I thought was hardly possible. The tweeter is out of this world good. They seem to have similar balance to the S5 mk2, which I found to be more meaty and more organic than the older Q series (which was my main concern).

The S5 mk 2 have more bass slam and seem to go deeper than the M3, which is expected, as they 2x 25cm woofers vs 3x 18cm in the M3. That said - they couple perfectly to my 14x19 listening room. Absolutely no desire to add any extra subwoofers.
    Adam

The S5 mk 2 have more bass slam and seem to go deeper than the M3, which is expected, as they 2x 25cm woofers vs 3x 18cm in the M3. That said - they couple perfectly to my 14x19 listening room. Absolutely no desire to add any extra subwoofers.
    I totally agree. My room is also 14x19x8 and there's plenty of bass. That's not to say that a subwoofer wouldn't fill in the regions below 25hz, but rarely do I listen to anything that low anyways. The tweeter is just astounding on the M3 and the 3x7 inches bass drivers gives my the right amount of bass slam and balance, plus, it's so fast that there's no prolong decay, it's just right! I only have about 70 hours on it, and continue to break them in. Here's my current system since I can't find a way to update my signature:

Amps/Pre: Marantz MA9S2 and SC7S2
    Digital: Marantz SA10
    Analogue: DIY Plinth of Aluminum and Leadshot filled with SS fixtures and arm mounts; VPI HRX Supper Platter, JMW 12.7i and 10.5i arms (SS).
    Cartridge: Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Phono Stages: DIY Pass Labs XONO and DIY Joe Curcio MC Phono
    Power condition: Surge X and VPI SDS
    Cables: DIY I/C and SC
    Acoustic Treatment: DIY Absorbers and Diffusors; Foam Corner Bass Traps
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gotoma8; July 11, 2017 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Adding Pictures

Great looking system ! I've always been a fan of Marantz hi-end amps.
    Adam

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by gotoma8 View Post

I totally agree. My room is also 14x19x8 and there's plenty of bass. That's not to say that a subwoofer wouldn't fill in the regions below 25hz, but rarely do I listen to anything that low anyways. The tweeter is just astounding on the M3 and the 3x7 inches bass drivers gives my the right amount of bass slam and balance, plus, it's so fast that there's no prolong decay, it's just right! I only have about 70 hours on it, and continue to break them in. Here's my current system since I can't find a way to update my signature:

Amps/Pre: Marantz MA9S2 and SC7S2
    Digital: Marantz SA10
    Analogue: DIY Plinth of Aluminum and Leadshot filled with SS fixtures and arm mounts; VPI HRX Supper Platter, JMW 12.7i and 10.5i arms (SS).
    Cartridge: Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Phono Stages: DIY Pass Labs XONO and DIY Joe Curcio MC Phono
    Power condition: Surge X and VPI SDS
    Cables: DIY I/C and SC
    Acoustic Treatment: DIY Absorbers and Diffusors; Foam Corner Bass Traps
    Great looking system (and room). Well done! I bet it sounds fantastic.

Congrats.

Thank you Mike and Ctsooner!

I like it and like everything else, it can always be improved upon.

I think my acoustic treatments, both diffusors and absobers, made leaps and bounds in improvement, even with my old DIY speakers! I believe that's the first thing that should be tackled, room treatment:

1 - First reflection, sidewalls and ceiling (Absorb)
    2 - Front and back walls, perhaps a combination of both absorption and diffusion
    3 - Corner Bass Traps - no matter the room, it's always good to take away from some bass boominess.
    4 - Fine tuning....

Now, this is only after proper speaker placement has been determined.

Tuan

Quote Originally Posted by gotoma8 View Post
    Thank you Mike and Ctsooner!

Now, this is only after proper speaker placement has been determined.

Tuan
    Which can only be done after locating the correct listening spot.
    DPT4ME - Dynamics, Presence & Tone for Musical Engagement; MBP (3) - stripped down for music only; Shunyata Omega & Sigma USBs; ISO REGEN w/short Curious USB links; Berkeley Alpha USB; Aqua La Scala II Optologic DAC; Schiit Yggdrasil - fully updated; Ayre Codex dac - updated; Pass Labs INT-60 integrated amp; Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE-2 preamp, Quicksilver Mono 120 amps w/Tung-Sol KT150s; Quicksilver Mid Mono amps w/Gold Lion KT77s; Fyne Audio 703s; Symposium Svelte Plus & Ultra Platforms; REL S-812 subwoofers; Duelund DCA12GA speaker cables; AV Room Service EVPs, Stein Music Harmonizers, Duelund DCA16GA & 20GA ICs; Shunyata Denali 6000S/V2; Tripp Lite PCs; Wyred 4 Sound power cords; AudioDharma cable cooker; dedicated custom room; various GIK & ASC room treatments; etc.

www.getbettersound.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Great looking system (and room). Well done! I bet it sounds fantastic.
    + 1. Very nice looking room & DIY room treatments Goto. Great choice with the M3's! .

So, an update on the M3. I think I found the proper position and toe for placement in the room. Here are some basic room dimensions, to be followed with the pictures in a later post:

ROOM:
    14x19x8' WxLxH
    Front wall as a window behind the system that's 70" by 52", WxH
    Back wall has a closet with two sliding doors and a corner pocket entrance door, rear right to the listening postion
    Front walls have 2 2x2 skyline diffusers, corner foam bass traps, 1x5ft for hard fiberglass board absorbers in the front corners
    Floor is carpeted
    Ceiling has 4 pieces of 2x4' hard fiberglass board absorbers at first reflection point
    Side walls have two RoomTunes 1x4 feet absorbers at first reflection on each wall and another 1 RoomTunes absorbers about 3ft behind the listening position.
    Backwall has 2 2x2 skyline diffusors mounted on a stand about 4 feet from the ground and four feet behind the listening position. Also some foam absorbers.

Speakers are about 5.5 ft from the front wall and 3 ft from the side walls, measured from center of drivers on the M3's baffle. Toed in about 20 degrees or so, relative to listening position. M3 are now spiked to the plywood below the carpet and carpet mat.

SOUND, so how does it sound and how has the speakers evolved since first listen?

Bass now much more taut, maybe do to spiking. Faster and more slam. Bass is full to about 30hz in the room. When listening to the remastered Hotel California, titled cut, (via digital playback) the kick drum from Don Henley just whacks you in the heart. You can hear and feel it! Playing only at about 95 db. Bass notes from acoustic bass are just amazing, sharp, full, musical and extremely dynamic!

Bass/Mid Bass is just fantastic! Voices are clear, silky and just about right in terms of imaging and sound staging. Allison Krauss's voice on MOFI LP of Union Station was just sublime. In my previous systems, her vocals can be a bit to detailed and sharp, not so here. The transparency is just spectacular! Also Patricia Barber, Dianna Krall, Melody Gardot, Johnny Hartman, Sinatra, Bennett, all voices sounds right, if the recordings were up to the task. There's a cut called "MoonDanc" from a Kenny Burrell album where the triangle sounds so realistic and the decay was spot on!

Highs, well, i've heard things on recordings that I've never heard before, anywhere!

Okay, one day I'll write a more formal review....back to listening in the background...and work break is over!

Audioshark

Congrats! Can you tell us about your seating (listening) position? Did you try moving that around to get the best spot in the room (for bass)?

I truly love these speakers. They are a big evolution for Magico (from Q) IMO and your room is the PERFECT size for them.

Did you get the MPOD'S?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Magico M3 arrived today