The amazing Jeff Rowland PSU brings a transformation
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The amazing Jeff Rowland PSU brings a transformation

I was fortunate to hear an amazing demonstration of the transformative power of the Super-Capacitor PSU unit in a full Jeff Rowland system yesterday. The original very high quality power supplies of a Corus preamp and Aeris DAC were replaced with the PSU. 3 cuts of a very good cd (yes, cd) were listened to first, and then again after the PSU had charged up (takes a few minutes) Holy Cow! Now, I have always thought that the Aeris is one of the most brilliant digital devices ever made, but when I heard it with the PSU...Absolutely jaw-dropping. Top to bottom, amazing! If you own either or both the Corus and/or Aeris, you really Must hear it/them connected to the PSU. You want to talk "value added"! You will be rewarded.

2. Likes Mike liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The amazing Jeff Rowland PSU brings a transformation

All that have listened this far to the Rowland Aeris DAC and/or Rowland Corus powered by the new Rowland PSU have given very consistent feedback... "Transformative" has been the operative word every time.

Note that one single PSU can power the Aeris DAC and Corus linestage simultaneously.

Once the initial bank of ultracapacitors have charged, Corus and Aeris will be permanently kept off the AC grid and fed pure clean DC instead.... There are two banks of supercaps in PSU.... While one bank delivers DC to the devices, the other one is under charge.... Once the first bank reaches a preset discharge level, DC delivery is assigned to the second bank, while the first bank starts to recharge... The charge/discharge process flips back and forth Ad infinitum.... The switch between capacitor banks is seemless and is not perceivable by the user.

I hope to be able to report on my personal experiences on Rowland PSU powering my Aeris DAC before too long.

Regards, Guido

two
    Electronics: Esoteric X-01, Rowland Aeris DAC, Rowland M925 430W monos,
    Speakers: Vienna Die Muzik
    Wiring: High Fidelity Ultra PCs and SPDIF, Nordost Valhalla V2 PCS and signal cables

Post Thanks / Like

Guido my friend. How are you?
    I understand what Jeff is doing from a technical basis, and your description is terrific. But I was not at all prepared for the magnitude of the change when the supply is used. I look forward to hearing about your experiences. You are in for a treat. Knowing what and how it works doesn't fully prepare you for the effect it has. This reaffirms my belief of just how good that Aeris DAC and Corus preamp are.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello my friend MrDean! Doing quite well, and my system is doing splendidly in my new sound room in SC... The same equipment that I had in Austin, sounds even more magnificent here.

I can't wait to be able to share my experiences with PSU on Aeris!

Saluti, Guido
    Wiring: High Fidelity Ultra PCs and SPDIF, Nordost Valhalla V2 PCS and signal cables

Audioshark
    Post Thanks / Like

Guido - are you going to make any of the shows this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: AAvik Electronics, Aurender, Ansuz Cables, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Avantgarde Acoustics, Ayre Acoustics, Berkeley Audio Design, Chord, Crystal Cable, Dali Loudspeakers, Entreq, Esoteric, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers, Focal Headphones, ISO Acoustics, KEF, Kimber Kable, KLAudio, KR Audio, Kronos, Lampizator, Lumin, Magico Loudspeakers, Manley Labs, Melco Audio, MicroMega, M2Tech, Ortofon, Pass Labs, PlayBack Designs, PS Audio, Quadraspire, Raidho Loudspeakers, Rega Turntables, REL Acoustics, Shunyata Research, Siltech, Solid Tech Racks, Sonoma Acoustics, SOtM, SRA, Straight Wire, Stillpoints, T+A, Tannoy Loudspeakers, Transfiguration Cartridges, Trenner & Friedl, Triode Corporation of Japan, VAC, Vandersteen Speakers, Vicoustics, Vitus Audio, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, ZYX Cartridges.

www.suncoastaudio.com
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to see super-capacitor based PSUs gaining traction. They have many of the advantages of the battery based PSU, but with lower output impedance.

The first such a design was introduced by UpTone Audio (the brain child of John Swenson and Alex Crespi of Hovland fame) followed shortly after by Vinnie Rossie design. I wonder if JR's PSU is based on one of those desighns ?
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate + Lampi DSD Komputer
    Cables: WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

Post Thanks / Like

*** Errata Corrige! ***

All, My earlier description of the PSU's internals is woefully flawed.

Jeff Rowland PSU's design, which commenced in 2010, is based on one single bank of ultracaps to deliver DC continuously to all connected devices.

As there is one single bank of ultra-caps, there is no switching back and forth between banks.

Rather, a very fast recharge of the single bank is initiated when charge level is down to approximately 60%. Recharge is performed concurrently with PSU's continuous DC power delivery to all attached devices.

According to reports, the short charge cycle is completely invariant to the listening experience. nor can any degradation of PSU DC output be measured or even detected by instruments.

I will add more information in an upcoming PSU review thread

And... Hello friend Mike B, I have not decided yet which show I will attend in 2017... But RMAF remains my prime candidate *Smiles!*

Saluti, Guido

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the correction Guido. I was going to contact JRDG, but this new description corresponds with my previous info. I should have some new experiences with this unit very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I just had my second listen to the PSU transformation, this time enhancing the Aeris DAC only. After listening to the system for 1/2 hour, we swapped the stock (very high quality) power supply of the Aeris with the PSU, and listened to the last track played by Frank Sinatra. The leap was obvious long before Frank sang a word. The textures that bring the music and sound to life just jump out so obviously that there is no necessary thought process. The wonderment and joy without any cognitive effort are such a treat! Guido, you must hear this on your rig!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mrdean, I can't wait to test a PSU unit in my own system...

I have three independent 20A circuits, one for each M925 mono amp, and one for line level devices. Initially, I will feed PSU from the circuit shared with the Esoteric X-01, but I will also test PSU on a circuit shared with an M925 chassis.

No idea if I will perceive a difference. Here are a couple of questions that I am wondering about...

Have you noticed any changes in PSU's performance through break-in.... Or does PSU appear to be invariant to break-in?

How do various power cords affect PSU... Or does PSU seem to you invariant to PCs?

Saluti,
    Guido

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast