Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
    Audioshark

How much does the DAC chip influence the sound?

How much do you think the type, model, version, whatever of the DAC chip influences the sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: How much does the DAC chip influence the sound?

Hi Mike,

I do think that different brands of DAC chips have different sonic signatures (i.e. AKM, Burr Brown & ESS Sabre) due to different algorithms. The newer versions also tend to have lower noise levels and distortion. However, I believe the DAC's analog gain stage has a much greater influence on overall sound than the DAC chip.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

I would say the overall implementation and design of the dac would have a far greater influence than just the chip itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Setup

Antipodes DX 2 Reference Server(Roon Software) Lampizator Big 5 DAC
    VPI Classic 1, Benz Wood Cart, Trichord Delphini MK2 Phono Stage
    New Audio Frontiers Supreme 300B Special Edition
    Bastanis Matterhorn Speakers
    Antipodes Komako Speaker Cables and Interconnects
    Entreq Grounding Box

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Mike,

I do think that different brands of DAC chips have different sonic signatures (i.e. AKM, Burr Brown & ESS Sabre) due to different algorithms. The newer versions also tend to have lower noise levels and distortion. However, I believe the DAC's analog gain stage has a much greater influence on overall sound than the DAC chip.

Best,
    Ken
    Could not agree more with Ken!
    If this part of the story is done in a proper manner it influences the sound dramatically.
    Below are the pictures of DAC which is fully balanced where I/A conversion is done in discrete class A technology using J-FETs...BB1794 DAC

Attached Images Attached Images
    LS: Vienna Acoustics Klimt "The Music"
    PowerAmp: Nagra VPA
    PreAmp: Tobian Soundsystems SC12
    DAC: LampizatOr Horizon
    Server: LDMS Maximus Music Server
    CDT: CH Precison D1
    Switch: Edison Creation Silent OCXO Extreme, FiberBox
    Power: LampizatOr Kraftwerk 10
    Cabling: Signal Projects loom

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    Hi Mike,

Best,
    Ken
    x

Hi Ken.
    That seems true, but do not underestimate the importance of the purely digital part, Linn seems to maintain the stage of analog gain with its Lahaundall transformers, and yet the new Klimax Katalyst I read that are a great leap forward in the sound with its new chip And other improvements in the circuits.
    Regards
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Audioshark

Don't you find similarities in sound across DAC chips regardless of the implementation?

SABRE
    Wolfson
    AKM
    Burr Brown
    Cyrus Logic
    Etc.

For example, if I see a "Wolfson" DAC chip used, I'm confident it's going to sound very analog like.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    I would say the overall implementation and design of the dac would have a far greater influence than just the chip itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I would lean towards your conclusion. There are several variables that contribute to the sound of any DAC.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    I would lean towards your conclusion. There are several variables that contribute to the sound of any DAC.

Apart from the digital implementation of the dac, the analog implementation is just as important to maximise a dac's potential.

Recently, I upgraded the analog interconnects between the pre- and power amps, and that alone completely elevated the sound of my dac to another level.

The dac's analog design and implementation together with the rest of the analog components in the chain determine very significantly the actual sound of a dac.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Don't you find similarities in sound across DAC chips regardless of the implementation?

SABRE
    Wolfson
    AKM
    Burr Brown
    Cyrus Logic
    Etc.

For example, if I see a "Wolfson" DAC chip used, I'm confident it's going to sound very analog like.

What about the No-Chips, like Chord, Lampi, MSB, dCS, TotalDac, etc?
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Mike, to answer your question: 10%
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Just had my W4S DAC2 DSDse upgraded to v2 model, chip from the ES9018 to the ES9038Pro. Basically only just a pin compatible chip swap. Sounds significantly better, more presence, body and detail. So, yes, the chip only can make quite a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by rah50 View Post
    Just had my W4S DAC2 DSDse upgraded to v2 model, chip from the ES9018 to the ES9038Pro. Basically only just a pin compatible chip swap. Sounds significantly better, more presence, body and detail. So, yes, the chip only can make quite a difference.
    Congrats on the DAC upgrade, but with all due respect the new ES9038PRO is not a direct swap for the older ES9018. The ES9028PRO is but the ES9038PRO is much more advanced and not pin compatible. That explains why several manufacturers are upgrading to the ES9028PRO since it's such an easy substitution.

[QUOTE=audio.bill;198205]Congrats on the DAC upgrade, but with all due respect the new ES9038PRO is not a direct swap for the older ES9018. The ES9028PRO is but the ES9038PRO is much more advanced and not pin compatible. That explains why several manufacturers are upgrading to the ES9028PRO since it's such an easy substitution.[/QUOT

I thought that as well as I haven't seen anything saying it was pin compatible. However, EJ at W4S says it is pin compatible, the only difference (except perhaps new programming) being a heat sink pad on the bottom of the chip which is apparently very necessary as they had to add a heat sink on top of the chip to keep it stable at DSD256 since they couldn't use the pad underneath in the replacement. I only know what they tell me, but the other folks that have also done the upgrade are all happy.

Quote Originally Posted by rah50 View Post
    I thought that as well as I haven't seen anything saying it was pin compatible. However, EJ at W4S says it is pin compatible, the only difference (except perhaps new programming) being a heat sink pad on the bottom of the chip which is apparently very necessary as they had to add a heat sink on top of the chip to keep it stable at DSD256 since they couldn't use the pad underneath in the replacement. I only know what they tell me, but the other folks that have also done the upgrade are all happy.
    Interesting that EJ said that, since on the ESS product announcement for the ES9038PRO there is no mention of it being compatible with the older DACs, but does state that "The ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO are pin-compatible upgrades for previous generation ESS products—the ES9018S and ES9016S" which kind of implies that the 9038 isn't. In any case early reports from users about the new v2 W4S DACs are very positive, so congrats again and enjoy the tunes!

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Interesting that EJ said that, since on the ESS product announcement for the ES9038PRO there is no mention of it being compatible with the older DACs, but does state that "The ES9028PRO and ES9026PRO are pin-compatible upgrades for previous generation ESS products—the ES9018S and ES9016S" which kind of implies that the 9038 isn't. In any case early reports from users about the new v2 W4S DACs are very positive, so congrats again and enjoy the tunes!
    Here is a quote from EJ that contains some interesting info on this subject:

"Now that we’ve finalized our updates to the new DAC-2v2SE upgrade, we wanted to post a recap on things. Please refer to our original post #1411 in this thread for some background on what the issues were (specifically with DSD playback) and what we found to be the causes. In short, the sonic anomalies that could manifest themselves with DSD playback were attributable to an undisclosed register which erroneously set itself. This was coupled with the heat from the new 9038PRO chip based on placement of the DAC-2 and room temperatures it was exposed to. It should be noted that we worked with the lead designer of the 9038PRO directly on these issues, and that our original implementation was within data sheet specifications.

The undisclosed register was easy to reprogram. Once we were given the correct information, the playback issues resulting from that error went away (swooshing sound at startup and sporadic throughout some tracks).

The heat issue was interesting to find. The ESS data sheet states that the 9038 is a pin-compatible replacement for the 9018, and the exposed pad on the 9038 ”can be left open, connected to digital or analog ground. Internally connected to substrate via a conductive epoxy”, to quote ESS. Our 9038 chip implementation operated completely within acceptable temperature range, however, we found that once it reached a certain temperature after playing consecutive DSD tracks the sound would develop artifacts reminiscent of a noisy transistor. Adding to this, we found that the provided specs noted a MCLK far less than what is required for higher rate playback such as DSD256. With higher rates comes higher current demand and with that comes heat.

Our solution was a custom heatsink, made in-house with our CNC machine. See the images below. You can see how large the heatsink is, this was purposefully made to ensure proper cooling within a chassis that doesn’t have much moving air. Natural convection cooling is not very efficient so the heatsink disperses it over a large area. Together, with a more efficient 5v regulator we are now using, the result is a much cooler running product that is actually cooler than the previous DAC-2 DSDse!"

Again, I only know what they tell me!

How much do you think the type, model, version, whatever of the DAC chip influences the sound?
    As core component, that is primary analog signal generator in a scheme, DAC chip define the best possible sound of the scheme.

Other components (PSU, amplifiers, filters, etc.) can degrade sound only. Their task is minimal degree of degradation of own DAC chip sound.

Example #1:

DAC chip give the best sound on ideal DC (electrical current). But DC defined by power supply unit (PSU). Therefore for the best sound need provide DC pulsations close to zero.

Hence PSU can't improve sound of DAC chip, but can degrade it, if DC will contains any pulsations/noise.

Example #2:

If DAC have non-linear distortions, we can't reduce it.
    However, we can play with DAC chip outside.

As example, DAC give non-linear distortions, that lead to intermodulations and rising audible products by ultrasound in 0 ... 20 kHz range. In this case, we can limit band of digital stream and reduse the audible products.

Example #3:

Analog filter important part for suppressing digital-analog conversion aliases.
    For ideal apparatus these aliases is not matter, except reducing useful dynamic range. But the aliases may generate products in audible range, like previous example. Though, limiting of band of digital stream reduse audible products by aliases. Because there aliases rest in highest frequency range of sample rate band, where analog filter have maximal suppressing (in frame used sample rate).
    Of course, analog filter can't reduse the DAC chip's distortions. Analog filter should provide minimal dispersion of amlitude and maximal linearity of phase in audible band.

The DAC chip is only a piece of the equation. There is more in that "device that is necessary to produce a sound than a DAC chip like good design, good engineering and well made supporting components. . Like a guitar it's useless without strings.
    2chl : Vincent Sp331MkII, W4S STP-SE Stage 2, Kef 201/2, KEF 140, Vapor Breeze, Lumin, Bryston CD, BHA-1, Quicksilver Headamp, HD650, HD800s, HD820's, Dan Clark 1.1, Focal Stellia, OPPO 203, 105. ( Boxed up: Pass Xa-30.5, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV-20XL, Manley Chinook, Cadenza Bronze)

To my knowledge there is one parameter which is dependent on the DAC chip ... Dynamic Range.

Overall I agree that implementation and analog output stage design are key.
    But you do need a decent DAC chip to begin with.
    2 Channel Stereo :
    Custom Win10 Transport | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Acoustic Portrait Thiyaga | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    To my knowledge there is one parameter which is dependent on the DAC chip ... Dynamic Range.
    And THD. And noise floor. And frequency / phase response. And impulse response.

Quote Originally Posted by YuriKorzunov View Post
    And THD. And noise floor. And frequency / phase response. And impulse response.
    This may seem obvious to many but to be clear each of these parameters are not determined by the DAC selection alone, as they are further impacted by power supply factors, analog stage implementation, clock accuracy, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    This may seem obvious to many but to be clear each of these parameters are not determined by the DAC selection alone, as they are further impacted by power supply factors, analog stage implementation, clock accuracy, etc.
    Yes. As I wrote above, external factors can degrade or don't use advantages of DAC chip.

It's like dilemma "Which came first: the chicken or the egg?"

Good DAC chip with bad environment may be worse bad DAC chip with good environment

Is the wireless NAD DAC a good way to go? Or is a better choice recommended? Thanks.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Many years ago I owned a pair of Klipschorns powered by a McIntosh 1700 receiver, a cheap Garrard SL72b, Shure V15 III. The cartridge is too extravagant for the turntable and I still have them, but unused. Due to moving issues I sold out and ordered some bookshelf speakers from a mfg. in Carrollton, TX to get by.

Finally pulled the trigger for the Aurender music server.
    After reading reports that my dac performs best via its usb B-port input fed by a dedicated music server, I had to bring one home to hear it for myself.

Went down to the local dealer's and listened to the N10 on demo. It was good but not quite a God-speaking moment.
    Asked for a home demo but the guy was reluctant. Then I saw the N100H on passive display and got to bring that home instead.

Back home, it was indeed a God-speaking moment. The N100H was stunning, sounding way better than the N10 in the showroom. When I inserted the iFi USB3.0, which I have been using upstairs for my headphone rig, in the pathway, SQ was up again to another level.

The dealer has not got to hear how much better the N100H can sound but I get to hear how much better my dac can sound fed by the N100H.

Which brings us to Elberoth's point - the dac chip contribution is 10%, which is just about right.

I guess dac's live and die by their digital inputs and analog outputs.

J.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by j2020 View Post
    Finally pulled the trigger for the Aurender music server.
    After reading reports that my dac performs best via its usb input fed by a dedicated music server, I had to bring one home to hear it for myself.

Went down to the local dealer's and listened to the N10 on demo. It was good but not quite a God-speaking moment.
    Asked for a home demo but the guy was reluctant. Then I saw the N100H on passive display and got to bring that home instead.

Back home, it was indeed a God-speaking moment. The N100H was stunning, sounding way better than the N10 in the showroom. When I inserted the iFi USB3.0, which I have been using upstairs for my headphone rig, in the pathway, SQ was up again to another level.

The dealer has not got to hear how much better the N100H can sound but I get to hear how much better my dac can sound fed by the N100H.

Which brings us to Elberoth's point - the dac chip contribution is 10%, which is just about right.

I guess dac's live and die by their digital inputs and analog outputs.

J.
    Congrats J! Great choice!!

Congrats J! Great choice!!

Thanks, Mike. Cheers!

Mike,

Can't thank you enough again for pointing me in the direction of the Aurender N100H.

The N100H via its internal storage and 120G RAM cache for playback into my dac's usb input has transformed the sound of the dac considerably. I had no idea a music server could contribute so much to the SQ of a dac.

J.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by j2020 View Post
    Mike,

Can't thank you enough again for pointing me in the direction of the Aurender N100H.

The N100H via its internal storage and 120G RAM cache for playback into my dac's usb input has transformed the sound of the dac considerably. I had no idea a music server could contribute so much to the SQ of a dac.

J.
    You're very welcome. Hope your Singapore dealer was helpful.

You're very welcome. Hope your Singapore dealer was helpful.

No worries there.
    Anyway, I was so very happy with the N100H that I did not want for more (and pay more) for the N10.

As for dealer's support, it wasn't really needed as transferring files from PC to the internal storage via the network was a breeze.
    Initially, I played music from a thumbdrive ported to the rear but once I listened to music stored internally, there is no turning back!

I happily note here too that with this set-up, the gap between redbook and hires is narrowed considerably and at times to imperceptible with many redbook albums!

Cheers!

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team