Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Audioshark

Re: MAGICO M3 - Review

An absolutely wonderful, musically engaging speaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

After living with these speakers for a few months now, I can say that i can't conceive of how my system could improve. With my best files (most natural), the output sounds exactly like live music in my room. When it doesn't, it is because of the recording, not the speakers. High end audio has finally arrived at reality.

Eric
    Wadax Reference DAC and Server
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    CH Precision M10 Amplifier
    Rockport Orion speakers
    Nordost ODIN 2 speaker cables and interconnects
    StromTank 2500 Power Supply
    Shunyata Sigma QR power cords
    Shunyata Everest power conditioner
    Vicoustics Room Treatments

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
    After living with these speakers for a few months now, I can say that i can't conceive of how my system could improve. With my best files (most natural), the output sounds exactly like live music in my room. When it doesn't, it is because of the recording, not the speakers. High end audio has finally arrived at reality.

Eric
    Could you live with the M3s without the REL G1 Mk 2 subwoofers?

I have the same question. I replaced Wilson Alexias with the M3's about 10 weeks ago. Based on the great reviews + a great demo in a smaller,more enclosed room than mine(19 x 24 feet +15 foot ceilings), I took the plunge. I love the imaging and the detail, but am having some remorse/concern due to lack of deep bass and visceral impact(both of which I experienced in the demo). These qualities do seem to be improving with time. I don't have room for adding subs as these are in my living room. Perhaps adding a 2nd amplifier might help? Or maybe they simply need more break-in time. Any advice is appreciated.
    Barry
    Speakers; Wilson Audio Alexx
    Amp; D'Agostino MxV 400
    Source; MSB Select II
    Power: Stromtank S2500Q

Hi Kippyy,

First, I'd try your Linn directly on the Burmester amp, if you can. Just enable volume control (with the Konfig app). We've had great results driving amps directly with the Klimax...
    Second, I think positioning could have something to do with it. I used to have a pair of Q3s, and positioning was crucial in obtaining the best bass!
    I understand you have them living room, so I don't know how much space you have to move them about... Perhaps you dealer could be of some help, specially with positioning.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kippyy View Post
    I have the same question. I replaced Wilson Alexias with the M3's about 10 weeks ago. Based on the great reviews + a great demo in a smaller,more enclosed room than mine(19 x 24 feet +15 foot ceilings), I took the plunge. I love the imaging and the detail, but am having some remorse/concern due to lack of deep bass and visceral impact(both of which I experienced in the demo). These qualities do seem to be improving with time. I don't have room for adding subs as these are in my living room. Perhaps adding a 2nd amplifier might help? Or maybe they simply need more break-in time. Any advice is appreciated.
    Barry
    The back story:

I asked this question because after Cincy2 paid Mr. Smith to voice his room with his new M3s, and he was left with a large suck out in the deep bass, and had to get the REL G1 Mk 2 subwoofers to correct the problem.

Please note that our AS forum owner (Mike) also owned Wilson Alexias, which he sold, but never answered my questions if they were installed by a WA dealer with proper WASP training.

Mike is now a Magico dealer, and paid Mr.Smith to voice the M3s in his new dealership.

In answer to your questions:

I think you have more than enough high quality power to drive the M3s.

10 weeks is more than enough time to break-in a pair of speakers.

It seems that unlike WA, Magico doesn't train their dealers on installation, if they did, they wouldn't need Mr.Smith.

Finally, IMO, a $75K speakers shouldn't need subwoofers.

Quote Originally Posted by jap View Post
    Not sure about your agenda or background, but obviously you have no idea what you are talking about. You are mistaken on so many levels.

Based on my experience, Magicos do need a lots of burn-in time, which affects mostly the bass. It of course depends on how much they are actually played, but I would say up to 6 months

I am on my 2nd pair of Magicos by now and have done it twice.

Further, in a high-end system the main reason for adding subs should not be to get earthquake-level low bass, but to support the mid-range. Anyone who has done that can confirm.

Regarding the bass in general though, Wilsons tend to have a stronger relative bass than Magicos, e.g. due to the front- or back ports. The question however remains which one is more true to the music. Truth is in the eye of the beholder.

Finally, could you please disclose your private audio system and commercial affiliations, so we can see whether you are judging based on unfounded opinions or if you do have actual experience and what kind of commercial agenda you are pursuing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Barry
    Firstly I agree with Kuoppis. Magico speakers need up to 500hrs to be mostly run in (ie: 80-90% run in), but will continue to improve for another 200hrs or so. If you're like most folks who work and juggle family, you're probably logging about 30hrs/wk. 700hrs ÷ 30hrs = 23.3, or roughly 6 months as Kuoppis said.

Secondly, if my experience with the Q3 is anything to go by, room setup is critical. So in the first instance I would recommend educating yourself as much as possible about room setup. You need not pay Jim's hefty consulting fee as you can simply buy his book 'Get Better Sound' which is worth its weight in gold. You can also refer to free online resources such as the Cardas Room Setup Guide. If you want to get into some more advanced concepts you can check out 6 moons Introduction to Room Acoustics. With your initial speaker placement, you're just aiming for an approximate location. Bare in mind the sound will change quite a bit over the initial run in period, which in most cases necessitates a change in speaker position. Personally i'm keeping my S5 Mk2's on the factory coasters until about 400hrs, before dialing in a final setup and spiking my speakers.

Finally, although the M3's are moderately efficient @91db into a 4 ohm load, Magico speakers need plenty of power to properly control them. I don't quite agree with Jap's summary of your Burmester 911 Mk3. That amp has a fairly small 700va transformer with 130,000uF total capacitance & weights 31kg (which is mostly the transformer). By comparison my Vitus SIA-025 has a very efficient 1.4kVa transformer with 144,000uF total capacitance & weighs 42kg. By "very efficient", I mean it sounds like a big 2kVa tranny. A more powerful amp would certainly help give you that last bit of bass depth and control. However I wouldn't put the cart before the horse by considering an amp upgrade just yet. Let your speakers run in, then experiment with speaker positioning. And if you're still not getting enough bass depth and slam, then it's time to consider an amp upgrade.
    Last edited by Melbguy1; March 15, 2017 at 04:31 AM. Reason: correction

I should finally have my M3s next week, so I will let you guys know how they do in my 14x19 room. My S5s had all the bass I could ever ask for ... and more.

The M3, although very expensive, are definately not a speaker for a very big rooms. They just do not have the woofer size needed. For that, you have the M-Pros (or the upcoming M5s, or whatever they will be called). As an alternative, you may always use subs. There are people who use subs even with Wilsons Alexandrias.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

Barry
    My room is 17' X 35' X 11'. I have the M3's running with either Vitus SM011s or SM102s. I also have a pair of REL212SE's available to use if I want to.

The M3's sound great with the REL's. It is more about the depth of the soundstage and the more complete, full bodied sounding midrange than lower or more visceral bass that the REL's bring to the party in my room.

I very seldom use the REL's with the M3's even though they are available as I love what the M3's sound like by themselves with the Vitus amps. The bass is one of the strongest attributes. YMMV as all of this has so much to do with personal preference, what type of music you listen to, the volume you listen at etc.

Bass is room dependent and you have to work with the placement of the M3's to get the bass right, and you MUST get the bass right in order for the M3's to produce their overall magic.

Understood if it's your living room and you only have so many placement options, BUT in my opinion I would do two things after the M3's had at least 500 hours of playing time on them.

1) Play around with the placement as much as possible sometimes a few inches can change everything. If you provide a pic of your current set up either here or pm me I would give an estimated guess at the situation or might have some suggestions. You will get many other suggestions as well if you post the pic here on the forum, but if you don't want to do that just send me a pm.

2) Figure out how to try a different amp(s) on the M3's to see if the Burmester is just not giving the M3's what they want to produce the best bass that they are capable of.

Of course you can also get a pair of subs and see what they do as well, BUT I believe that with optimized placement and the right amps the M3's can produce magical results without subs. Of course if your room happens to have a low bass suck out just because of the room dimensions then subs might solve the problem, but I would not assume anything until I experimented with placement and other amp(s) if possible.

Could you live with the M3s without the REL G1 Mk 2 subwoofers?
    Great question Jap. I could have but the addition of the subs enhanced the sound in ways I couldn't imagine. I had Jim Smith voice my room. He showed me graphically how the room itself was limiting the low bass I heard by virtue of its geometry. I couldn't get enough volume n the bass below 35Hz unless we screwed up the even response of the rest of the spectrum. Not the speaker's fault. With the Rel G1's adding that energy between 20 and 35Hz, I noticed that much more than just the low electric bass improved. Kick drums, other percussive instruments had a weight and naturalness I had never heard before. For some craziness I don't understand, the overall imaging was sharper. I don't think they are absolutely necessary but now that I've lived with the total package, I would say if your room limits your bass, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Eric
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    Rockport Orion speakers

Audioshark

The back story:

I asked this question because after Cincy2 paid Mr. Smith to voice his room with his new M3s, and he was left with a large suck out in the deep bass, and had to get the REL G1 Mk 2 subwoofers to correct the problem.

Please note that our AS forum owner (Mike) also owned Wilson Alexias, which he sold, but never answered my questions if they were installed by a WA dealer with proper WASP training.

Mike is now a Magico dealer, and paid Mr.Smith to voice the M3s in his new dealership.

In answer to your questions:

I think you have more than enough high quality power to drive the M3s.

It seems that unlike WA, Magico doesn't train their dealers on installation, if they did, they wouldn't need Mr.Smith.

Finally, IMO, a $75K speakers shouldn't need subwoofers.

jap - you seem very interested in my old Wilson Alexia story. Well, I have moved on from that nightmare and have forgotten it. But for your edification, here is a synopsis: I started my Alexia purchasing journey at my local dealers (the only Florida Wilson dealer at the time). Right from the beginning, it was an absolute nightmare to deal with them and at the 11th hour it was clear things were not going to get better. With the help of Debby Wilson, someone I consider a friend, I moved to an out of state dealer for my purchase. Although not focused on two channel audio, they were wonderful to deal with. Phone calls were returned. Questions were answered promptly. Color samples supplied. etc. I'm happy to report those other bad actors are gone.

The out of state dealer was not versed in the Alexia's and was far more skilled at installing video projectors, screens and surround sound processors than Alexia's according to "WASP". As for setup, yes he helped as best he could. When I mentioned some concerns about the sound, he helped me swap out the resistors But as for strictly following WASP, I was basically handed a print out with the instructions (see link below). I followed those instructions multiple times. I would liken "WASP" as compared to what Jim Smith does (with his two suitcases full of equipment) as something like comparing a bag of plain macaroni that you warm up in the microwave to a steak and lobster dinner at a fine restaurant. So your premise that Magico not having some acronym training program for their dealers places them at a disadvantage is incorrect. WASP is nothing more than a starting point approach which tries to find the spot in the room where reflection is at a minimum or as Wilson calls it, the Zone of Neutrality. I cannot speak for other dealers, but frankly, this is nothing more than basic speaker setup. It's akin to reading a book on driving a car and then thinking you can. It's a starting point. Nothing more. One only need look at what is missing from WASP to realize it's just a starting point. As Jim as mentioned, he has voiced many many previously "WASP"ed systems.

For those interested in reading more on "WASP", refer to page 9: https://www.wilsonaudio.com/pdf/manu...l-sasha-wp.pdf

I hold no bad will or animosity toward Wilson Audio from my experience, in fact, quite the opposite. Wilson Audio and Debby in particular, tried very hard to make a bad situation (initially) as positive as possible in the end. But at the end of the day, the speakers didn't work out for me and I moved on.

As for the subs, the M3's work beautifully in my 18 1/2 x 25 room without subs. I find that subs are more about what they bring to midrange clarity than "thump, thump, thump" bass. In fact jap, you will note that Wilson Audio often uses Thors Hammer subs to achieve optimal results with their XLF's. Jock (the Professor) is using dual Magico Q-Sub 15's with his Raidho D5's in a SMALL room.

Therefore, subs should not be though of as a weakness in a speakers, but rather a compliment to a full range speaker to bring out the best in it's midrange.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post

Therefore, subs should not be though of as a weakness in a speakers, but rather a compliment to a full range speaker to bring out the best in it's midrange.
    Well said as usual Mike. Couldn't agree more.

Eric
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    Rockport Orion speakers

Not to sidetrack the thread, but how does one use subs with the M3, or S5 MKII? Is it one sub, or two; one for each speaker? How are they hooked up? My amps have two sets of speaker posts, so would they attach to each amp? I assume the subs have filters built in so you can adjust where they cut off, or do you need an external X-over? Do you place the sub next to the speaker? How critical is the sub placement?
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Integration of sub woofers with Magico M3s

BlueFox

Described in this thread.

Eric
    CH Precision L10 PreAmp
    Rockport Orion speakers

.. It's a starting point. Nothing more. One only need look at what is missing from WASP to realize it's just a starting point...

..For those interested in reading more on "WASP", refer to page 9: https://www.wilsonaudio.com/pdf/manu...l-sasha-wp.pdf
    Mike I'm sorry you had the experience that you did. I'm glad you have moved on and are able to enjoy your music again.

WASP is far more than a starting point. The Zones of Neutrality are just the beginning part of assessing a room for placement. (Most of the link you reference describes ways to understand how your room can interact with the speaker and the listener.) What occurs after that is when the hard and very detailed work begins. That why we insist that the dealer set up every new (and soon every current Certified Authentic Pre-Owned) Wilson speaker.

BTW, I'm typing this on a break from our second group of 8 Wilson dealers in Provo this week for WASP training.

Audioshark

Bill, I'm sure with you now involved, things will vastly improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
    Integration of sub woofers with Magico M3s

BlueFox

Described in this thread.

Eric
    Thanks. Perfect thread.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Barry
    Hi Barry, to come back to your original question, while there is burn-in, placement and room acoustics, there is also system match. I think some systems just play better together.

As described by Melbguy, Magicos are current hungry. Hence, while your Burmester is a nice amp, it might not be the best possible pairing with your M3s. Very good results have been achieved with Solution and Vitus, and there are also some happy Pass and Ayre owners with Magicos. Depends a little on what you like.

All in all, I think you can call yourself the owner of currently one of the best standmounters money can buy. So I would be surprised if you would not be able to find a setup to your liking.
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Thanks so much for all the helpful feedback. I feel better about the speaker and my purchase. I'll ensure good positioning and continue working on break in for now. If that doesnt help I'll consider using the Klimax as a pre-amp, and upgrading amplifier power.
    Would a 2nd Burmester 911 be a better choice, or would CH Precision A1 x 2 be better(I dont know much about amp power specs).
    I appreciate the friendly advice,for an AS newbie!
    Barry
    Amp; D'Agostino MxV 400
    Source; MSB Select II

MAGICO M3 - Review

Hi Barry, congratulations and there should not be any need for remorse.

My dealer, who has worked with Magico since the days of the Mini II, says that if he had to take one home and call it a day, it would be the M3. While not inexpensive, it has the balance of virtues, to him.

This is from a guy who has all the S series and Q series (up to Q7) + Q subs on demo and has delivered at least 2 M-Projects and 2 M3s.

He made an M3 delivery recently to a Q3 owner, who used the Gryphon Diablo 300 integrated to good effect. Although he is not a Gryphon dealer, he was quite pleased as it showed that you don't need big bucks and power to drive the M3 (unlike, say, the Q5). So, the higher Gryphons like the Antileon EVO might work. See http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/...ereo-amplifier. Jeff Fritz, the reviewer, uses the Q7 Mk II.

Otherwise, the Magicos are normally paired with Soulution or Constellation at his place. Virus is fine too and you have the other recommendations on this thread.

At this level, a home demo would be ideal. Good luck.

Hi Kippyy (Barry),

I have run the M3 for several months at our showroom, and now have the pleasure of having a pair in my home system. I had them paired with a VAC 200iQ and with a Constellation Amp 1.0 at our showroom, and was thrilled with the sound. I was happy and impressed enough to bring some home. On getting a pair in my home, I moved to a Constellation Centaur II amp, and BAM! Wow, blown away. This combination has really made me (and several friends) smile from ear to ear.

my 2 cents,

Noah
    Noah

I work at:
    Sound Innovations Home Audio
    High End Home Audio in Union City, CA

Current Home setup:
    Magico M3
    Constellation Pictor w/ DC Filter
    Constellation Centaur II
    Chord DAVE DAC
    Aurender N10
    Valhalla 2 USB

Audioshark

https://www.fidelity-magazin.de/2017...-in-starnberg/

"Magico M3 – It’s A Kind Of Magic(o)

One of the most accurate loudspeakers money can buy. Unfortunately it comes at a price tag few can afford. But if you can: "You're there dude"!

Read more ..."

MAGICO M3 - Review

An appetiser, but good read nonetheless.

The part about the favourite child is interesting. Alon is most proud of the M3 and, (not) surprisingly, the S1. Read somewhere (was it on AS?) that Alon keeps a pair of S1s at home.

In response to suggestions in this thread, I'm demoing the CH Precision A1 mono blocks with the M3's and although the bass is better, the sound is still thin and lacks dynamic punch and oomph. My 19 x 24 room has a very tall vaulted ceiling which extends to the 2nd floor of my home. Given that my Burmester 911 drove the Wilson Alexias in this room well, I'm losing faith the the M3 are suitable for my living room. Any other ideas are welcome, but I'm considering trading them in after 3 months with them, and going back to Wilsons.
    Amp; D'Agostino MxV 400
    Source; MSB Select II

Audioshark

VAC signature 200iQ monos. LOVE the combo.

In response to suggestions in this thread, I'm demoing the CH Precision A1 mono blocks with the M3's and although the bass is better, the sound is still thin and lacks dynamic punch and oomph. My 19 x 24 room has a very tall vaulted ceiling which extends to the 2nd floor of my home. Given that my Burmester 911 drove the Wilson Alexias in this room well, I'm losing faith the the M3 are suitable for my living room. Any other ideas are welcome, but I'm considering trading them in after 3 months with them, and going back to Wilsons.
    Vitus.

Audioshark

Yes, agree with Bob. Vitus for SS!

Yes, agree with Bob. Vitus for SS!

And I agree with Mike on the VAC Get both and switch off depending on mood......hey you only live once

That almost makes your room was twice as big as the size sugest. It may just be too much of a volume to pressurise for three 7" woofers.

I would either:

- get the subs (either RELs or Magico's own S-Sub)
    - trade them in for S7 or M-Pro (there was a pair for sale recently), both of which have three 10" woofers.

I had the S5 mk 2 (with just two 10" woofers) and the bass oomph and slam was nothing short of amazing. I'm guessing both the S7 and M-Pros would do the same for you in a bigger room.
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

The Burmester amp is not the issue; the M3s just don't fit your taste/room. I'd try some bigger speakers like the Magico S5mk2 or Rockport Cygnus.

I think the situation can be improved by "fuller" sounding amps, such as the ones Mike and Bob recommended. If I may, my suggestion would be the D'Agostino, either the Momentum or Progression.

In such a big room, positioning, both of the speaker and the listening position, is very critical to get the best bass response and impact. I'd get your dealer to come and help you out with that.

Another thing you could play with is the CH Precision's feedback adjustment. Give it more/less negative feedback, and see how that affects the bass response/impact in your room.

cheers,
    alex

Quote Originally Posted by Anatta View Post
    The Burmester amp is not the issue; the M3s just don't fit your taste/room. I'd try some bigger speakers like the Magico S5mk2 or Rockport Cygnus.
    Don't forget the Magico S7, they produce powerful and visceral bass. Very fine speakers.

Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Audioshark

Kippyy - who is your dealer? Has he been able to assess the situation?

Just caught up with this thread. First Kippyy, congrats on purchasing the M3s, I am envious. I hope to hear a pair one day. But hearing feedback from everyone's whose ears I trust, they sound perfect for me.

Second, my former listening room, my family room, had similar dimensions like your current room. A had full range speakers there and was never satisfied with the bass and the mids were also thin as well. The glass from the windows didn't help either. If you can add subs (read an earlier post that you couldn't though) that would certainly help. I use a CH A1 stereo amp with my S7s and love the bass, dynamics, and the mids, albeit in a now smaller listening room. Having said that, there are amps/electronics with richer mids than the CH, like Vitus and D'agostino that you might be able to try.

Could you try rolling the M3s to another (smaller) room, same electronics, just to experiment? It may not be a gear issue per se, but a speaker/room coupling one perhaps?

Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Elberoth View Post
    I'm guessing both the S7 and M-Pros would do the same for you in a bigger room.
    A perfectly good guess, but after having heard the M-Pros, I don't think so. They seem to be voiced more along the lines of the Q series.

Banned

Good call.

Audioshark

Bad call. MAGICO M3 - Review

Try different amps. Engage your dealer. Add subs. Lots of options.

What cables are you using in your system?

I really appreciate the support and ideas as I try to make the M3's work in my space. I forgot to mention the room has a lot of glass windows, which I suspect is not helping to get bass response. I'll consider each of these ideas, and continue to work with my dealer who is very supportive and wants me to be satisfied with the sound and acknowledges we are not there yet. This is a great community!
    Barry
    Amp; D'Agostino MxV 400
    Source; MSB Select II

I totally agree with Mike. You've invested a lot of money in your M3's and they are world class speakers, so you should exhaust all other avenues first before you make a speaker change. Repositioning, different cables, different amps and subwoofers should all be auditioned first. If none of this works for you, consider trading in the M3's for the S7's. They have as impressive bass as I've ever heard from a loudspeaker.

Best,
    Ken
    "No summit worth climbing is easily attained."
    --------------------------------------------
    Source: MSB Select II DAC with Two Mono Powerbases and Femto 33 Clock; Renderer V2 Digital Input Module and Roon Nucleus Plus; MSB UMT V Signature Transport
    Amps: Vandersteen M7-HPA Mono Amps; MSB M204 Mono Amps
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7 Mk2
    Power: Two AudioQuest Niagara 5000’s with AudioQuest Dragon and Hurricane Power Cords

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinist View Post
    I totally agree with Mike. You've invested a lot of money in your M3's and they are world class speakers, so you should exhaust all other avenues first before you make a speaker change. Repositioning, different cables, different amps and subwoofers should all be auditioned first. If none of this works for you, consider trading in the M3's for the S7's. They have as impressive bass as I've ever heard from a loudspeaker.

Best,
    Ken
    Yes they do!

Allen

Hi Kippyy,
    What sort of conditioner do you have? I see it hasn't been discussed.

I have Isotek Aquarius and Titan power conditioners.
    My choice of amps is limited by having to be inside a cabinet in a warm room.
    So, Class A/hot amps(Vitus,Gryphon) would not work, and Boulder is too deep
    I might try hearing the Soulution 711 stereo amp.
    I'm a bit gun shy at this point, as I don't want to sink a lot more $ in an amp to try to bring out the best in the M3, when the speaker just may not be suitable to the room given the amount of open space above to the 2nd floor.
    I didn't experience a lack of oomph from my Alexias with the 911, but I'm sure this has to do with ported vs sealed box design.
    Amp; D'Agostino MxV 400
    Source; MSB Select II

Banned

Kippyy, based on your size and temperature issues, you might want to try the Devialet Expert 1000.

BTW, if the Alexias worked well in your room, just image what the Alexx would do......

I'm with Mike on this. The M3's are great speakers. In the first instance I'd reach out to your Dealer who should be able to go through a step by step process of looking at speaker positioning, different amp options and subwoofers.

If your Dealer carries Vitus, I would suggest trying a Vitus SS-103 stereo amp + SL-103 pre. The Vitus amps will give you richer, more organic sound, and much better bass compared to your current amps. Fyi the latest Vitus amps don't run very hot in Class A thanks to 'Intelligent Class A bias' technology. That said, if you're looking for more cabinet-friendly amps, the Vitus SM-011 mono's & SL-103 could be the solution and will run cooler than the SS-103. The Soulution 711 would also be an excellent choice, but quite a bit more expensive than Vitus.

Adam (Elberoth) was right though that 3 x 7" bass drivers ultimately may be too small to pressurize your medium-large size room. That's pure physics. The answer could be a combination of Vitus or Vac amps & a pair of Q Sub 15's. That was the combo Alon was running during the recent Audioshark day at Magico's factory (albeit with Soulution amps from memory).

I'm a bit gun shy at this point, as I don't want to sink a lot more $ in an amp to try to bring out the best in the M3, when the speaker just may not be suitable to the room given the amount of open space above to the 2nd floor.
    I didn't experience a lack of oomph from my Alexias with the 911, but I'm sure this has to do with ported vs sealed box design.
    Then you should be good in terms of power conditioning.

I also agree with the comments that 3 x 7" woofers may not be enough to fill your room and its opening (it's a shame really because M3s are out of this world good).

If adding subs is not an option (being living room and all), S5 mk2 may suit your need. I understand S7s are also suggested but it may be a bit imposing for a room size that cannot add subs.

Having said all these, don't give up easily on M3s, they really are as good as advertised.

I would suggest Plugging the amplifier straight to the wall and see the results and also remember vented gives you 6db more gain in the bass over sealed , 3 woofers over one should get you fairly close so I'm suspecting a drive issue, best to try the amplifier straight to the wall....

Regards

Kippyy - who is your dealer? Has he been able to assess the situation?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

MAGICO M3 - Review