Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Aurender & MQA

Audioshark

Aurender & MQA

I'm going to try to answer some questions regarding Aurender & MQA:

How can I get full blown MQA on my Aurender?

Currently, only the Aurender A10 offers full blown MQA decoding (all three stages)

If I own an MQA DAC, will my Aurender N100H/N10/W20 pass MQA to the DAC for decoding?

Yes. As of yesterday's latest update, you are good to go if you have an MQA capable DAC.

Aurender can handle stage one of MQA (24/48), but can it handle stage 2 (24/88 or 24/96)?

No. Due to licensing and technical requirements, only the Tidal desktop app can decode stage 2 of MQA. Aurender is currently assessing the additional requirements and options. At this time, only an MQA DAC or a Aurender A10 can fully decode MQA.

If I buy an Aurender A10, then I can't use my DAC, right?

No. The Aurender A10 has a USB output allowing you to also use it with any other DAC (provided that DAC has USB input). You use two inputs on your preamp. One for the A10's analog output (for MQA) and one for your other DAC's analog output. The Aurender A10 is essentially an N100H with a built in MQA DAC, 4TB of storage and volume control.
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

Re: Aurender & MQA

Maybe it's just me, but all of the info out there on MQA and how to decode it especially with partial software laundry unfolds seems to be more confusing every day. The last thing a "new" digital format needs is more complexity and confusion for the users. You damn near need a degree in computer science to setup a regular network with a file server and a computer interface running some type of software and keep it all running. MQA is adding new issues unless you go the most simple and direct route of just purchasing a full-blown MQA DAC. Even finding MQA recordings on Tidal seems to be confusing as they all don't show up under the "Master" listing according to what some of the users are saying.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

The hidden treasure are the remasters that will definitely sound better at 16/44 or first unfold to 24/48 on a top quality Dac than on a lower quality full blown MQA Dac. Of that, I have no doubt ...
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    The hidden treasure are the remasters that will definitely sound better at 16/44 or first unfold to 24/48 on a top quality Dac than on a lower quality full blown MQA Dac. Of that, I have no doubt ...
    Don't all MQA DACs have to have a certain level of "goodness" before they can become MQA certified and blessed by the Pope? You can buy the Meridian Explorer2 DAC for $199 on Amazon and it unfolds all the MQA laundry doesn't it?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    That has been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    That has been my experience.
    It would be interesting to hear your $90k DAC which unfolds part of the MQA laundry against the Meridan Explorer2 DAC which sells for $199 on Amazon and unfolds all of the MQA laundry.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    It would be interesting to hear your $90k DAC which unfolds part of the MQA laundry against the Meridan Explorer2 DAC which sells for $199 on Amazon and unfolds all of the MQA laundry.
    The Select unfolds full MQA HW decode, not partial SW unfold.

I don't even think about whether it's MQA anymore, I just play the music I want to hear, whether it's 16/44 or MQA - it all sounds great.

I installed the Aurender 4.9.27 software update to my N10 this evening. No hiccups that I have discovered yet. The MQA Masters tab shows up on my Tidal page. Recordings from the Masters tab play at 48kHz on my Esoteric K-01X DAC. All other recordings from Tidal play at 44.1kHz. The sound is pretty good, although I haven't done any comparison between the Tidal 48kHz stream and the same recording at 44.1kHz.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

With 4.9.27 it is cool that all 500ish MQA tracks show up in Aurender, but there are 1600 available MQA albums in Tidal if you go searching for them. It would have been cool if Aurender was able to capture the other 1100 MQA albums that are not shown in the Masters section on Tidal. One step at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm going to try to answer some questions regarding Aurender & MQA:

How can I get full blown MQA on my Aurender?

Currently, only the Aurender A10 offers full blown MQA decoding (all three stages)

If I own an MQA DAC, will my Aurender N100H/N10/W20 pass MQA to the DAC for decoding?

Yes. As of yesterday's latest update, you are good to go if you have an MQA capable DAC.

Aurender can handle stage one of MQA (24/48), but can it handle stage 2 (24/88 or 24/96)?

No. Due to licensing and technical requirements, only the Tidal desktop app can decode stage 2 of MQA. Aurender is currently assessing the additional requirements and options. At this time, only an MQA DAC or a Aurender A10 can fully decode MQA.
    After reading the above, I had the impression that the latest update has something to do with.......

but I have been informed emphatically by the Administrator that the latest update has nothing to do with this......

so, I shall try not to make sense of the following statements :-

1. "If I own an MQA DAC, will my Aurender N100H/N10/W20 pass MQA to the DAC for decoding?
    Yes. As of yesterday's latest update, you are good to go if you have an MQA capable DAC."

2. "Aurender can handle stage one of MQA (24/48)......"

and just leave things at that.

From the Aurender website, the latest system software is v4(5).9.3 announced on April 14.
    Last edited by j2020; May 8, 2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: `

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Aurender & MQA