Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My take on MQA

Audioshark

Re: My take on MQA

Quote Originally Posted by AJ Soundfield View Post
    Couldn't find anything there other than Harleys personal experience/opinion. I can show quotes where he said essentially the same about all the other Hi-Res formats throughout the years.
    There is nothing inherent about the MQA process that would change spatial information, other than remastering. The aliasing distortion from the "lazy" encode filtering could change it slightly, though not always for the better.
    But anji said "new" recordings. What spatial effects created by original recording with MQA, vs say, 24/96, which has been used in studios for an awful long time now?
    Filtering.

My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

I'm suspicious of the promotional video, it has appeals to emotion as part of the pitch. The fact that major labels are big proponents of this raise suspicion about the actual purpose of the codec.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.digit...downloads/amp/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That's a lot of bang for the buck (the A10) -- full MQA, 4TB of storage and 120GB SSD. Plus the latest AKM DAC chips that Esoteric loves so much.

Just curious Mike, but how did the A10 compare when playing back non-MQA digital (not streamed) such as DSD or 24Bit to some of the other DAC's you're fond of? I ask because upgrade fever is in the air for my Debussy and I have a sh!t-ton of storage on my SAN. I'm more looking at the DAC capabilities and perhaps even the streaming. Finally, is it "Roon Ready".

As for what I've heard with plain 'ol unfolded MQA is that some songs are exactly like Mike describes. They remind me of awesome Vinyl, but even crisper (if that's possible). Analog sources tend to have a rounded-off high-end to my ear and there's none of that with MQA. I also found that there seemed to be more dynamics however less fatigue (yes, a conundrum I know). When I finally heard it through my friends 808 (2nd try), it was not day-vs-night when compared to unfolded-to-my-Debussy at 24/96 (no full MQA). It gave it that extra 10% that we all pay so much for in the end. You know, that saying that once you get to a certain level there's a bit of diminishing returns and every little improvement costs exponentially more. It's a shame they don't make that 808 in silver (they don't do they?) Anyway, the 808 is a solid performer.

Oh yeah, did I mention that my dog doesn't leave the room when I'm listening to MQA? Strangest thing I tell you. Anything else and he leaves

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    A10.
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon
    Office System: B&W N802D2, NAD M10
    Living Room System: B&W N804D, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10
    Bedroom: Dynaudio Focus 160, NAD M10, Velodyne DD+10

Quote Originally Posted by radioactive View Post
    That's a lot of bang for the buck (the A10) -- full MQA, 4TB of storage and 120GB SSD. Plus the latest AKM DAC chips that Esoteric loves so much.

Just curious Mike, but how did the A10 compare when playing back non-MQA digital (not streamed) such as DSD or 24Bit to some of the other DAC's you're fond of? I ask because upgrade fever is in the air for my Debussy and I have a sh!t-ton of storage on my SAN. I'm more looking at the DAC capabilities and perhaps even the streaming. Finally, is it "Roon Ready".

Bryan
    The Aurender A10 certainly offers a lot of features and an exceptional value especially with its full MQA decoding. However I'd like to point out that it does not use the latest AKM DACs which would be their AK4497. It uses the previously released AK4490 which is still a quality chip which is used in many other DACs, but their latest AK4497 is their next generation and latest design which Esoteric is now using in some of their newer products. Aurender products are not Roon Ready (at least at this time.) Hope this helps!

Filtering.

Bollocks
    1st, music hasn't been captured that way is a long time...and there is no evidence to support audibility with that sort of playback filtering (which is commonplace even today). The sharp filter is a prerequisite to prevent aliasing. This is basic sampling theory. His "lazy" filter is a nice recipe for aliasing distortion. Yummy!

But ok, let's assume the net result of MQA playback is "better" spatial cues.
    Which part of it is due to the remastering, which part the "MQA" origami?
    The only way to know would be to take the remaster (which goes beyond just filters, including EQ etc. and obviously should sound different, possibly spatially)...and compare that to the "MQA" decoded version.
    What if the 16/44, or 24/96. etc playback remaster has same enhanced spatial cues?
    Not going to happen of course...

Audioshark

As for what I've heard with plain 'ol unfolded MQA is that some songs are exactly like Mike describes. They remind me of awesome Vinyl, but even crisper (if that's possible). Analog sources tend to have a rounded-off high-end to my ear and there's none of that with MQA. I also found that there seemed to be more dynamics however less fatigue (yes, a conundrum I know). When I finally heard it through my friends 808 (2nd try), it was not day-vs-night when compared to unfolded-to-my-Debussy at 24/96 (no full MQA). It gave it that extra 10% that we all pay so much for in the end. You know, that saying that once you get to a certain level there's a bit of diminishing returns and every little improvement costs exponentially more. It's a shame they don't make that 808 in silver (they don't do they?) Anyway, the 808 is a solid performer.

Oh yeah, did I mention that my dog doesn't leave the room when I'm listening to MQA? Strangest thing I tell you. Anything else and he leaves

Bryan
    Bryan - it's a great piece. You know, I would say it fairly competes with other $5K DAC's (and you get 4TB storage, music player, volume, headphone, etc.). But no Roon. As of right now, the biggest challenge to MQA adoption is hardware. There is a tiny smattering of options. I like the A10 in the "under $10K" range, but my money is going to be on the Berkeley Ref 2 when it goes full blown MQA in Q2. I know how hard they've been working on it and how unique their approach is vs "the rest".

As for MQA, trust me, it's more of a PITA for me because most of my digital products (Chord DAVE, Lampi, Esoteric, etc.) don't handle MQA. But, it's here (and maybe even "here to stay") and at least worth exploring. I stand by my OP and glad you heard what I hear. It seems like your dog agrees.

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

As for MQA, trust me, it's more of a PITA for me because most of my digital products (Chord DAVE, Lampi, Esoteric, etc.) don't handle MQA. But, it's here (and maybe even "here to stay") and at least worth exploring.
    That's the irony.I thought they all sounded very good, including the MQA tracks.
    If I had to name a favorite...it was the Chord...even though non-MQA. Something special going on there.

Now one of you guys to get the wife to agree and its game over. Wife plus dog...unassailable combo. LoL
    NORMAN
    Custom PC with Memory Player Software Suite/ Modded Denon CD transport>Lampi GG1 (and sometimes PACIFIC) DHT tube Dac> Rowen 850W Isolating Transformer/ Rowen SS Preamp and PA1 monoblocs/Lampi Silk power cond. with Phase flipper> Heil AMT KITHARA & Syrinx in parallel hookup. Swiss cables (Reference line) for PC/interconnects and speaker cables. Goldmund Sweetcord PC. FTA Callisto unpowered USB cable. Basic analog: vintage Lenco L78 TT with Rowen mat, Denon MM cart, iFi iPhono2 with 15v Hynes SR3 LPSU. Synology 12 TB NAS. 2nd system:KenWin Bluetooth speaker 3rd system TBI Millemnium amp with Aulos speakers and SB Duo hookup.

I generally defer to my cat. Waay better hearing than I.

Thanks Mike,

And I'm not kidding about the dog. He's 2 now and never sits in my listening room for more than 10 minutes. When I had the 808 for a couple of days, he came in, sat down, then laid down and went to sleep -- for several listening sessions. Funny thing, I thought he had just come around. But he hasn't done it since. Probably a fluke -- I mean who the heck knows what goes through a dog's mind other than his next meal! But it is funny as hell.

I'll be interested in hearing the Berkeley. Heard so many good things about their DAC's.

Bryan - it's a great piece. You know, I would say it fairly competes with other $5K DAC's (and you get 4TB storage, music player, volume, headphone, etc.). But no Roon. As of right now, the biggest challenge to MQA adoption is hardware. There is a tiny smattering of options. I like the A10 in the "under $10K" range, but my money is going to be on the Berkeley Ref 2 when it goes full blown MQA in Q2. I know how hard they've been working on it and how unique their approach is vs "the rest".

As for MQA, trust me, it's more of a PITA for me because most of my digital products (Chord DAVE, Lampi, Esoteric, etc.) don't handle MQA. But, it's here (and maybe even "here to stay") and at least worth exploring. I stand by my OP and glad you heard what I hear. It seems like your dog agrees.
    Ref System: Wilson Alexx on Stillpoint Ultras w/Base, dCS Rossini & Upsampler & Clock, Audio Research REF 160S, REF 6SE, WW Platinum Everywhere, Roon

Audioshark

Thanks Mike,

And I'm not kidding about the dog. He's 2 now and never sits in my listening room for more than 10 minutes. When I had the 808 for a couple of days, he came in, sat down, then laid down and went to sleep -- for several listening sessions. Funny thing, I thought he had just come around. But he hasn't done it since. Probably a fluke -- I mean who the heck knows what goes through a dog's mind other than his next meal! But it is funny as hell.

I'll be interested in hearing the Berkeley. Heard so many good things about their DAC's.
    I agree with you. My dog is just as crazy and unpredictable. We probably need a "show us your dog" thread. Here's mine:

This was hilarious....

What happens when I get into mud....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I predict DAC sellers will soon package their products with a "bacon chip", to keep dogs interested.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So Mike, what the heck did he get in to? I think it should be our audiophile pets thread ....

Here is my music buddy....

McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Myers View Post
    So Mike, what the heck did he get in to? I think it should be our audiophile pets thread ....

Here is my music buddy....

Our garden! He's quite the digger.

Quote Originally Posted by Audio 1 View Post
    Mike do you know if Lumin has plans for ...
    We are close to submitting something for profiling by a certain company. However, very often non-technical issues can also take a lot of time, especially when there are costs involved.

Likewise Lumin firmware support for Roon is also technically done and tested to be ok, but is waiting for some non-firmware things.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

A10.
    Mike,

Thanks for your observations regarding the Aurender A10.

The A10 has garnered high praise here :-

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...er-a10-review/

At $5500, the A10 with dac seems to be very good value compared to the N10 at $7999 without the dac section.

It may be worth getting the A10 to serve as an MQA dac for Tidal streaming and MQA purchases and keep my current dac for non-MQA files. I wonder whether it will sound as good as the Esoteric N-05 since both sport the AK 4490 chip and are about the same price. I guess I will only know once the A10 is hooked up at home.

J.

Jon, did you have a chance to try software unfolding of Tidal MQA music using Tidal desktop app on a computer, turn on Exclusive mode and Force Volume, and connect it to the USB DAC input of N-05?

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Jon, did you have a chance to try software unfolding of Tidal MQA music using Tidal desktop app on a computer, turn on Exclusive mode and Force Volume, and connect it to the USB DAC input of N-05?
    Peter,
    Could not try it as I was back to the old problem of running a lengthy ethernet cable to my router from my PC. Did not want to stream Tidal via WiFi from the PC.

Here's what mine looks like after a good snow. You have to put him in a utility sink full of lukewarm water to get it all to melt away...don't have any photos when it's mud, but you can imagine what it's like after just seeing the snow stick to his fur! He's a blast.

I agree with you. My dog is just as crazy and unpredictable. We probably need a "show us your dog" thread. Here's mine:

This was hilarious....

What happens when I get into mud....

Attached Images Attached Images

Mike, are you listening to MQA with Ethernet or some other way?

I've been living with full blown MQA in my system for a little while now. At first, I sat down eagerly wanting to compare redbook and high res PCM and DSD versions to the MQA versions in my system. Finally, I had MQA in a system I knew inside and out. As I began comparing, in all cases, the redbook or high res pcm version was approximately 6db louder. This made direct A:B comparisons tricky to say the least, but I eventually was able to figure out the numbers on my preamp to volume match.

Comparing DSD versions was easier since the volume matching was much closer.

As I compared various MQA vs non-MQA versions, I kept scratching my head. Why were the sky's not opening up so as to reveal the heavens? Why were angels not flying around granting musical wishes? Why have I not seen God? What gives? In many cases, at first pass, I preferred the redbook or high res pcm/DSD versions.

In some cases, I preferred the MQA version, but in other cases, the redbook/high res PCM or DSD version was preferred.

As time went on, it then hit me what was happening. I finally found the magic of MQA. No, it's not that you will suddenly start hearing instruments in songs you never heard before or that Jimi Hendrix will jump out of your speakers and grab you by the....

Nope, it's much more subtle, I would argue, subliminal in fact rather than overt.

I noticed repeatedly that when the MQA version was playing, I listened all the way through. All the way through the songs, all the way through playlist, all the way through the albums. Just like I do with vinyl or tape. When the redbook, high res pcm, DSD versions came on via my playlist, I was not aware of what format was playing, but I do know the "digital fidgetiness" returned and I found myself reaching for the iPad. Each time, it was the PCM or DSD song playing, not the MQA one. This experience repeated itself over and over again until I finally became aware of what was happening.

The magic of true, completely unfolded MQA, to me, resides in the what it does to relax the brain while listening - much like analog. Do not underestimate this benefit. It's worth it's weight in gold for the digital audiophile. To me, MQA has made long term digital listening without any hint of fatigue, a reality. I would argue that MQA gets the spatial cues right and those spatial cues allow for greater long term listening. Your brain will thank you.

Mike

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo View Post
    Mike, are you listening to MQA with Ethernet or some other way?
    Listening via Ethernet. AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet to Aurender A10.

P.S. If there was any doubt about AQ's Ethernet cables vs stock, that argument was put to rest when Jim visited with me. After a few hours of making do with a short cable, we decided it would be easier with a longer Ethernet cable. All I had was my 5 meter AQ Diamond. Suffice it to say, the difference was not subtle. Jim and I both looked at each other in disbelief. I said to him "we can't tell anyone, they'll think we're nuts."

Listening via Ethernet. AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet to Aurender A10.

P.S. If there was any doubt about AQ's Ethernet cables vs stock, that argument was put to rest when Jim visited with me. After a few hours of making do with a short cable, we decided it would be easier with a longer Ethernet cable. All I had was my 5 meter AQ Diamond. Suffice it to say, the difference was not subtle. Jim and I both looked at each other in disbelief. I said to him "we can't tell anyone, they'll think we're nuts."

My buddy and I recently demo'ed the SoTM DBL-CAT7 cables on my system; and were blown away by the differences. I previously just had some cat7 generic'ish cables from Amazon, and am floored. THe sound stage was so much wider, details were revealing itself. So wide that the little tune at the beginning of The Weeknd - I Feel It coming sounded a bit 3D'ish on a two channel system. It had a left and right element that almost wrapped around the back of my head, and an up and down dimension to it that wasn't so quite there before.

For reference, the chain right now is a PS Audio P10 driving a LUmin S1 to the PS Audio BHK Preamp and their Signature 250 Amp with Audience SX interconnects and Kimber Monocle XL speaker cables.

Emmm, not sure anyone would think your nuts because of hearing cable differences.... we just think your nuts, period ....

sorry, couldn't resist...
    McIntosh C49, MC152, MR85, R778 | T+A DAC 8 DSD | KEF LS50 Meta w/S2, KC62 (x2) | Rega RP8, Ania Pro, NEO PSU | Technics SL-1500C | Audio Technica VM750ML | Hexmat Eclipse, Yellow Bird, Molekula, Molekula Mini | Pro-Ject VC-E | Falcon NW PC Server (Roon Core & HQPlayer) | Microsoft Surface Pro 6 (Roon Controller) | Wyred 4 Sound ISO Recovery, DC Recovery | Abyss Diana Phi | Schiit Jotunheim 2 | Astell&Kern SE200 | Oppo BDP105

“One of the great challenges in life is knowing enough to think you're right but not enough to know you're wrong”
    "You can't use reason to convince anyone out of an argument that they didn't use reason to get into"
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Emmm, not sure anyone would think your nuts because of hearing cable differences.... we just think your nuts, period ....

sorry, couldn't resist...
    You've been speaking to my wife evidently. My take on MQA

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.

Quote Originally Posted by jerbil View Post
    My buddy and I recently demo'ed the SoTM DBL-CAT7 cables on my system; and were blown away by the differences. I previously just had some cat7 generic'ish cables from Amazon, and am floored. THe sound stage was so much wider, details were revealing itself. So wide that the little tune at the beginning of The Weeknd - I Feel It coming sounded a bit 3D'ish on a two channel system. It had a left and right element that almost wrapped around the back of my head, and an up and down dimension to it that wasn't so quite there before.

For reference, the chain right now is a PS Audio P10 driving a LUmin S1 to the PS Audio BHK Preamp and their Signature 250 Amp with Audience SX interconnects and Kimber Monocle XL speaker cables.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

After a few hours of making do with a short cable, we decided it would be easier with a longer Ethernet cable. All I had was my 5 meter AQ Diamond. Suffice it to say, the difference was not subtle. Jim and I both looked at each other in disbelief. I said to him "we can't tell anyone, they'll think we're nuts."
    Mike are you saying a 5m long AQ Diamond Ethernet cable sounds better than a short AQ Diamond Ethernet cable, or better than other brands of short Ethernet cable? (No, I won't think you are nuts. )

It reminds me of discussions of unbalanced interconnect elsewhere, and some people found that slightly longer interconnect cables sound better than shorter cables of the same model, despite the theory saying the opposite should be true (due to resistance, etc.)

Just as an FYI, Ethernet cables are not digital. They pass an analog signal that represents a digital bit. The receiver will take that signal, and then create the digital bits from it. My hypothesis is that it is possible the cable can degrade the signal enough so that while the reconstructed digital packet's CRC is correct the timing between bits is slightly off, and jitter is introduced into the frame. Hence the better the cable, the less jitter, and better sound.

At least that's my hypothesis, and I am sticking with it until proved wrong.
    Last edited by BlueFox; March 24, 2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Clarification, I think. LOL.
    Bud

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

Hi Bud, isn't the audio signal encapsulated within the IP protocol in a transmission over Ethernet, similar to DoP? The interesting possibility of course is that different Layer 1, 2 and 3 protocols can be used to optimize the sound, such as e.g. Merging is using Ravenna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Yes, but it is all bits, and they are converted to analog to go over the Ethernet cable. A protocol is just a stream of bits that have some meaning based on their location within that stream.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

Does that mean that QoS is not available for audio transmissions over Ethernet?

Big rig: Brinkmann Taurus DD TT + 12.1 arm + Lyra Etna Lambda SL MC + HRS M3X2/ Cardas Clear Beyond phono/ Stillpoints LPI/ Brinkmann Edison mk2 phono + RöNT II Tube PS/ Synology NAS with Roon + HD Plex linear PSU + Shunyata HD/ AQ Vodka RJ45 + Aqvox Network Switch SE + AQ Diamond RJ45 into DAC/ Brinkmann Nyquist mk2/ Audionet Humboldt/ Cardas Clear Beyond ICs/ Kharma DB9-S 1.1 LS/ Inakustik Reference LS 4004 AIR/ Audioquest Niagara 5000/ Shunyata Alpha power (HC, Analogue, Digital)/ Finite Elemente Pagode Rack/ Stillpoints Ultra SS/ Vicoustic panels + Stillpoints Aperture II.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Tidal/ Linn Klimax DS3/ Shunyata Power cable/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 30.2 40th Anniversary/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Tidal/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ Sbooster LPSU/ Audeze LCD-2 Classic + WyWires Red/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ Shunyata Venom.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFox View Post
    Hence the better the cable, the less jitter, and better sound.
    Does better equal here to less distortion or what would be a good way to define better?

I have no idea, but I think Andy has the Brooklyn DAC and was quite impressed with what he heard. I think MQA's benefits require long-term listening to appreciate. At first brush, I tend to agree with you. It was only after long listening that a light went off. YMMV.
    Hi! I'd like to chime in here. Great topic. Sorry I didn't see these posts until now. Was just in Italy working and had the privilege and pleasure to meet Gianluigi (gian60). What a wonderful man with great taste in analogue! We listened to his Studer tape machine and lots of vinyl. The CH Precision gear was a treat to experience as well.

That said getting back to MQA. Indeed I am very pleased with the performance of my Mytek Brooklyn dac certainly when it comes to MQA playback. That's not to say there aren't other dacs that could outperform it. But... I wholeheartedly agree that MQA is indeed more "analogue" sounding than other formats. I too experience this sensation when listening. In fact, my Brooklyn is set up in my basement to my 3rd system - it's admittedly a hodgepodge of gear (ARC integrated, Lyngdorf CD, KEF LS50, etc) - a far cry from my reference system with Lampi Golden Gate - yet I find myself listening a lot more down there for the simple pleasure of enjoying the MQA, yes, through my Brooklyn dac. Here is what's really interesting though... since I started listening more frequently to MQA I have an increased interest in vinyl. I'm also buying more LPs and spend more time now enjoying my turntable.

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Mike are you saying a 5m long AQ Diamond Ethernet cable sounds better than a short AQ Diamond Ethernet cable, or better than other brands of short Ethernet cable? (No, I won't think you are nuts. )

It reminds me of discussions of unbalanced interconnect elsewhere, and some people found that slightly longer interconnect cables sound better than shorter cables of the same model, despite the theory saying the opposite should be true (due to resistance, etc.)
    Better than Jim's slightly shorter AQ Vodka Ethernet cable and certainly better than my stock CAT7 cable.

MQA thoughts:

Have u ever heard a Meridian audio piece that sounded great?
    Have u ever heard a Meridian DIGITAL piece that sounded great?
    Those that started out with Sooloos, did u hear what Meridian did to it sonically?
    Has anyone heard the Meridian apodizing filter?
    U know Meridian refused to offer upsampleing beyond 96KhZ. Said it wasn't great sonically
    Anyone remember MLP? I didn't think so
    See any activity on the forums regarding Meridian. I didn't think so. Wonder why?
    Does everyone understand where Meridian and MQA come from?

Now do u really realize y u shouldn't give a crap regarding MQA?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
    MQA thoughts:

Have u ever heard a Meridian audio piece that sounded great?
    Have u ever heard a Meridian DIGITAL piece that sounded great?
    Those that started out with Sooloos, did u hear what Meridian did to it sonically?
    Has anyone heard the Meridian apodizing filter?
    U know Meridian refused to offer upsampleing beyond 96KhZ. Said it wasn't great sonically
    Anyone remember MLP? I didn't think so
    See any activity on the forums regarding Meridian. I didn't think so. Wonder why?
    Does everyone understand where Meridian and MQA come from?

Now do u really realize y u shouldn't give a crap regarding MQA?
    The answer is yes. I have compared several DAC's in mythology system to the 808v6 (before that v3) and have yet to find one under $30k that it doesn't at least equal.

I have compared my digital via Sooloos and Roon to many, many other set-ups and the only ones I would like, but unwilling to pay for are the MSB Select and dCs Vivaldi. I am on the fence regarding the Rossini and the Nagra HD.

If you haven't spent time with MQA you don't know crap of what you are talking about.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Just goes too show all of the thoughts that go through our heads aren't well conceived.
    I figured you'd be the first to comment .....you'll never understand...

Of course. Those who have it and used it would be more knowledgeable than those talking out their butts about something they haven't spent time with.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Jim is right. I don't like Nagra, playback design esoteric k01, Rossini, vivaldi, EMM labs...have compared all. Meridian PCM sounds like an average dac. But the MQA is the first thing that I liked, like vinyl. The only problem is that unlike with the other dacs, I cannot compare like for like, as the MQA recordings/tracks auditioned are different, but the ones demoed to me were phenomenal. So I understand why La Dolce Vita is saying.

Thanks for the Ethernet cable info. I have tried to avoid that area by using a direct attached USB drive to my S1. However, if I ever decide to stream Tidal then I am stuck with using an Ethernet cable. Good to know beforehand that I probably should invest in a better than average cable.
    Bud

Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.

PS Audio will soon bring a software update of the BridgeII for Direct Stream and Direct Stream Junior enabling MQA unpacking. I think this will become the second real versatile DAC / streamer (after the Mytek Brooklyn) enabling PCM/DSD/Roon and now MQA until second stage unpacking.I expect this will be first real high-end sound option for MQA. I am waiting for the first (positive) review and will be one after that.
    Is MQA the holy grail? I don't know but it seems to be the only way to stream high-end over the internet, already without unpacking it sounds better than redbook, and Tidal will grow the collection for sure so yes I would like to have it.
    Direct Stream DAC's enable true analogue volume control through Roon which is a big plus to me.
    Hans

Bowers & Wilkins 805 D3 /alternatively JM Lab Point Source Aria 5 (self modified)/ 2x SVS 3000 SB, Audionet AMP (2x), dCS Bartók used as streamer / DAC / preamp, Pro-Ject RPM 9 with Speedbox S and Orthofon MC Vivo Blue, KEF LS50 Nocturne / Sunfire Atmos(kitchen). Patio: Bluesound Node 2i and Focal CMS50.
    RoonServer on Nucleus.

Quote Originally Posted by Glareskin View Post
    PS Audio will soon bring a software update of the BridgeII for Direct Stream and Direct Stream Junior enabling MQA unpacking. I think this will become the second real versatile DAC / streamer (after the Mytek Brooklyn) enabling PCM/DSD/Roon and now MQA until second stage unpacking.I expect this will be first real high-end sound option for MQA. I am waiting for the first (positive) review and will be one after that.
    Is MQA the holy grail? I don't know but it seems to be the only way to stream high-end over the internet, already without unpacking it sounds better than redbook, and Tidal will grow the collection for sure so yes I would like to have it.
    Direct Stream DAC's enable true analogue volume control through Roon which is a big plus to me.
    Well Roon is not really something to be enabled in a DAC such as the Brooklyn. It is playback software, so on a music server it would have to be compatible. The music source, dedicated music server, purpose built computer, laptop, etc., are the pieces that need to be Roon compatible, not the DAC.

Roon itself will shortly have MQA unpacking also. And I totally assume it has to sound better than standard Redbooks. But from most reports I have read comparing it directly to high res downloads, and certainly to DSD downloads, it does not. So for Tidal.... awesome... for those of us who do not stream, not so much. By the way, I run my Redbooks through a W4S Remedy.... they sound amazing.... 24/96.... and re-clocked using Femto clocking....

I would love to try a PS Audio Direct Stream because I believe they make a better product. I thought that their big technology design was that everything was converted to DSD? Maybe I read it wrong.

I did research the Mytek Brooklyn when I decided on the Benchmark. I decided against it at the time for a few reasons. First off I was going to use it for a pre-amplifier and the Brooklyn pre-amp functions are quite inferior. Also there is no remote (I do not consider a iPhone app as a remote). But most importantly is they are using the low level ESS 9018 chip, the one designed for mobile applications. The same chip as is being used in my Pono. Vastly inferior to the full fledged 9018 being used in many of it's competitors, and certainly vastly inferior to the new generation of ESS chips being used in the new DACs now being sold.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

I have been enjoying listening to the Lumin A1 with full blown MQA (beta) for the past week. Since that time, I've been sent three subsequent updates for testing (the boys at Lumin are relentless in their pursuit of perfection). Aside from the Lumin A1 being a near perfect digital source for horn speakers (gotta love that meaty full sound of the Wolfson DAC chips), I've been really enjoying full blow MQA on the Lumin.

I have to admit, recordings made in MQA (24/192) are absolutely phenomenal. They are equal to or better than any other source.

And like I said in my OP, for me, MQA=no digital fatigue.

Nice... glad you are enjoying it Mike.

I recently started using Roon up sampling functions, up sampling everything to DSD256. Last weekend I hosted our local Audio Club meeting. Several members commented on how "analog" sounding the music coming from my server was. Several also commented on how the ESS9038 Pro chip must be part of the determining factor. The last time I hosted the DAC was using the ESS9018 chip. I personally think the Vishay Z-Foil resistors, ultra-low noise discrete regulators, ultra-fast recovery Schottkey diodes, premium grade inductors, etc., being used in the SE model tend to help in the sound also ....

All I know is my digital downloads have never sounded so good!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Randy - I was waiving the DSD flag years ago - when SACD's were in full force. But, I have to admit, I think it's a dying format. To my ears, recordings made in MQA format are better. I'm not talking about a 1975 recording that had had MQA filters applied to it, I'm talking about new (2017) MQA recordings.

But as they say, time will tell...

Yes, it seems like it is always evolving. I am not aware that many titles have been recorded directly to MQA????

I have had conversations with David Elias; he is an artists who is an earlier supporter of MQA. He has also directly recorded several of his albums in DSD. He told me that he feels DSD is the most "analog" sounding of the digital formats, but he supports MQA because it is very good and is fantastic for streaming and for portable use.

I am listening to the brand new Jazz at the Pawnshop 3, in DSD256. Holy crap! This was recorded directly to tape. The DSD was directly recorded from the master tapes in 11.2 MHz. Several sights, such as NativeDSD seem to have a ton of new DSD...

As long as the music can be enjoyed then I say the more power to them, in all formats!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

Yes, it seems like it is always evolving. I am not aware that many titles have been recorded directly to MQA????

I have had conversations with David Elias; he is an artists who is an earlier supporter of MQA. He has also directly recorded several of his albums in DSD. He told me that he feels DSD is the most "analog" sounding of the digital formats, but he supports MQA because it is very good and is fantastic for streaming and for portable use.

I am listening to the brand new Jazz at the Pawnshop 3, in DSD256. Holy crap! This was recorded directly to tape. The DSD was directly recorded from the master tapes in 11.2 MHz. Several sights, such as NativeDSD seem to have a ton of new DSD...

As long as the music can be enjoyed then I say the more power to them, in all formats!
    I saw that release. Tempting!

It is typical Jazz at the Pawnshop... but what a recording. That and the latest Lyn Stanley are two of the finest new recordings that I have heard in a while.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Audioshark

It is typical Jazz at the Pawnshop... but what a recording. That and the latest Lyn Stanley are two of the finest new recordings that I have heard in a while.
    I cannot wait for the D2D Anne Bisson. I will never forget going to a BBQ and Anne was hired to perform. She kept asking if anyone wanted her to start (there were other bands hired to perform and they were all playing outside). So, Anne started and I got a private concert. Amazing. Her, a grand piano and me!

Watch for her latest D2D recording. It sure will be great.

Wow... awesome ...

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

My take on MQA