Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Bel Canto

Bel Canto

I'm currently looking to replace my parasound hint. The hint is a wonderful integrert amp, but on my speakers (kef reference 201/2) the vocals are somewhat back in the soundstage. So my "dealer" are recomending Bel Canto DAC 2.7 as both pre/dac and a ref500s as the poweramp. Anybody have any experience with both or either of them?

Sent fra min SM-A510F via Tapatalk

Bel Canto

Welcome, KjetilA.

Re: Bel Canto

Yes...I'm a BC dealer. Will you have the chance to try them out to see what difference they make over the Parasound?

Both are fantastic pieces of gear at their price points.
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

Hi! ☺️
    Well, kind of. My deal is that if I don't like them I can return them and we will try to find another solution. But I hope I don't have to because i then would have to send it back by mail since the store is a 5 hour driving away from me.

Have you tested bel canto against parasound?

And how would you describe the icepower compared to the todays standard of class D amplifiers?

You may want to just try an external DAC with the Parasound and see if it fixes what you don't like about it.

I own a Parasound A21. And it is entirely different sound than Bel Canto.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Could you try to describe the difference?

Regarding Bel Canto amps their newest Ref600M mono amps are in an entirely different league of performance compared to their previous series which used the B&O ICE power modules. They're much more relaxed and refined with a higher degree of musicality compared to their earlier efforts.

Ok, but two of those cost four times more than the 500s. The question is, will I get a noticable upgrade in sound from what the parasound hint is able to deliver if I upgrade my system and replace it with dac 2.7 and ref500s?

Quote Originally Posted by KjetilA View Post
    Ok, but two of those cost four times more than the 500s. The question is, will I get a noticable upgrade in sound from what the parasound hint is able to deliver if I upgrade my system and replace it with dac 2.7 and ref500s?

That's really a hard question to answer....and ultimately only you would be able to answer it by listening in your system. There are likely very few members on the board that's had the chance to compare the two options back to back.

I've heard the 2.7 and 500's a lot, but I've not really spent much time with the Parasound.
    Goldprint Audio -- Dealer For: PS Audio -- Leben -- KEF -- Line Magnetic -- DeVore Fidelity -- Joseph Audio -- Sugden -- Rogue Audio -- Manley Labs -- VPI Industries -- Bel Canto -- Alta Audio -- Tannoy -- Rega -- Kimber Kable -- Ortofon -- Chord -- Sonos -- Quadraspire -- Salamander -- SVS Sound -- Torus Power -- Audio Desk -- Gingko -- Auditorium 23 -- Box Furniture -- Krell -- Cary Audio -- Soundsmith -- EMT

www.goldprintaudio.com

I sure love the way my DAC3.7, Pass Labs XP-20 pre & XA160.5 monoblocks sound!!!
    George
    -----------------------

Aurender ACS10 Music Server > Holo Audio May KTE R2R Ladder DAC > Pass Labs XP-30 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Renaissance ELS 15A Speakers

Powered By 2X BPT 3.5 Signature Plus Ultra Isolators | Shunyata Research Hydra Triton + Typhon | Shunyata Hydra 2 Power Conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by Audioseduction View Post
    I sure love the way my DAC3.7, Pass Labs XP-20 pre & XA160.5 monoblocks sound!!!
    The 3.7 and REFLink are a fantastic combo!

www.goldprintaudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by sheltie1 View Post
    I've heard the 2.7 and 500's a lot, but I've not really spent much time with the Parasound.
    Have you heard them both together? How would you rate them? Have you tried the dac 2.7 as a preamp, and if so, what did you think?

Could you try to describe the difference?

The Parasound A21 is a great amp in its price range. But it has some drawbacks. It has just a bit of grain to the high end. It could use more air and transparency. And it could use a bit more detail. It has brute force power. Bass is fast and well controlled. It can sound a bit etched at times. If specs told the whole story, this would one fabulous amp but spec's aren't everything. That being said, I still own one but I am letting my son use it as I have replaced it with a Pass amp.

The Bel Canto's that I heard a little over a year ago, are more transparent with more air and larger sound stage. They were more refined. They were smoother or more liquid sounding from what I remember.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

An update regarding the Bel Cantos. I have tested DAC 2.7 and ref500s, but they did not do it for me (and my system) so I sendt them back to the dealer. I just could not hear the major "lift" in the music that was promised by the seller, and could certainly not justify using over 6000$ on them.

Are you needing the DAC? My friend is a KEF dealer, one of the best combo I heard with the LS50 was them driven by a Cary SLY-80 integrated. Hagel has a decent integrated around $5800 but I can't remember if it includes DAC, the Cary does not. You might look at an Audio Alchemy set up, still Class D but some of the best I've heard at an affordable price, open, musical & smooth. In my opinion, the KEF need a true neutral to warm sounding amp, if to the other side of neutral or any grain/harshness the KEF will show it and will drive you crazy, or me crazy anyway But if you were willing to spend $6k it gives a lot of options.
    Aurender ACS10 w/Audioquest Diamond USB, Esoteric N05xd
    Mark Levinson #526, 534 & JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro cart
    Clarus Concerto & their Crimson cables

HT: Marantz AV8003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30,
    SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent, Analysis Plus & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering
    Sony XBR-75X940D & BDP
    Parasound P6, MBL 8006b, Artisan speakers/subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    Are you needing the DAC? My friend is a KEF dealer, one of the best combo I heard with the LS50 was them driven by a Cary SLY-80 integrated. Hagel has a decent integrated around $5800 but I can't remember if it includes DAC, the Cary does not. You might look at an Audio Alchemy set up, still Class D but some of the best I've heard at an affordable price, open, musical & smooth. In my opinion, the KEF need a true neutral to warm sounding amp, if to the other side of neutral or any grain/harshness the KEF will show it and will drive you crazy, or me crazy anyway But if you were willing to spend $6k it gives a lot of options.
    The Hegel H360 does include a good DAC.

I'm currently looking to replace my parasound hint. The hint is a wonderful integrert amp, but on my speakers (kef reference 201/2) the vocals are somewhat back in the soundstage. So my "dealer" are recomending Bel Canto DAC 2.7 as both pre/dac and a ref500s as the poweramp. Anybody have any experience with both or either of them?

it drives me bonkers when dealers recommend using the dacs as pre amps !!! yes they have volume controls and yes they sound ok as pre amps . BUT they sound HUGELY better with a good pre amp. I have used bel canto stuff for many years and many times have tried my bc 3.5vbs into my class A power amp [msb] . it sounds detailed but it lacks musicality .

just add an arc pre or a modwright or any pre for that matter and you will get a huge uplift in musicality , soundstage and enjoyment

Audioshark

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    it drives me bonkers when dealers recommend using the dacs as pre amps !!! yes they have volume controls and yes they sound ok as pre amps . BUT they sound HUGELY better with a good pre amp. I have used bel canto stuff for many years and many times have tried my bc 3.5vbs into my class A power amp [msb] . it sounds detailed but it lacks musicality .

just add an arc pre or a modwright or any pre for that matter and you will get a huge uplift in musicality , soundstage and enjoyment
    This dealer doesn't. No substitute for a good preamp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

brilliant , good to hear . don`t get me wrong BC make fantastic stuff . practically every component I have had has had to be repaired but in over 10 years of ownership NOTHING has gone wrong with any of my bc stuff [ currently fm1, vbs , dac3.5]

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Bel Canto