Isoacoustics Gaia Speaker Isolation - Page 2
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Isoacoustics Gaia Speaker Isolation

Post Thanks / Like

If memory serves the stands I tried had like rubber that went against the speaker and the same on the side that went against the floor. I say stands but they only raised the speaker about 5 to 6 inches.

The experience baffles me, only because I see so much positive comment on these things. I'd say it was the size of my speakers but they make them for B&W and other large models as well.

Just as a side note, the floating of a speaker goes against the norm, sort of the opposite of spikes. And, what's with the need of all that internal bracing if the speaker will just float?

I keep open mind though, at one time I couldn't imagine how an upgraded power cord could make any difference, amongst other ear opening events.

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    Were you using one of the GAIA products with carpet spike bases or another IsoAcoustics product? The GAIA speaker isolators by themselves don't have spikes.
    Mark Levinson #512 & 532h, Pass Labs XP10, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003/BD7003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30, SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the basic physics behind the GAIAs and similar offerings, some quite pricey (e.g., Magico MPODs & SPODs), is based on "constraint-layer damping."
    www.sciencebuddies.org

Constrained-layer damping is a mechanical engineering technique for suppression of vibration. Typically a viscoelastic or other damping material, is sandwiched between two sheets of stiff materials that lack sufficient damping by themselves.

Constrained-layer damping - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constrained-layer_damping

4. Thanks Mr Peabody thanked for this post
    Likes Kuoppis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GSOphile View Post
    I believe the basic physics behind the GAIAs and similar offerings, some quite pricey (e.g., Magico MPODs & SPODs), is based on "constraint-layer damping."
    www.sciencebuddies.org

Constrained-layer damping is a mechanical engineering technique for suppression of vibration. Typically a viscoelastic or other damping material, is sandwiched between two sheets of stiff materials that lack sufficient damping by themselves.

Constrained-layer damping - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constrained-layer_damping

Actually the GAIAs are designed to move back and forth front to back. Therefore the instructions to always place the logo facing the front. I do not know or understand all the details but I think it has to do with countering the force of the drivers. I got that information from a representative of the distributor.

From the website:
    "GAIA provides a high degree of isolation while resisting lateral movement and oscillations to maintain alignment with the listening position. Internal reflections from the hard-supporting surface are attenuated resulting in greater sound clarity and openness."

Effective or not? Every isolation device I have ever tried had some "magic" formula. Most are sitting in my junk drawer. But some worked very well but not in every application. What I learned is the only way to know for sure is to try.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Peabody View Post
    If memory serves the stands I tried had like rubber that went against the speaker and the same on the side that went against the floor. I say stands but they only raised the speaker about 5 to 6 inches.

The experience baffles me, only because I see so much positive comment on these things. I'd say it was the size of my speakers but they make them for B&W and other large models as well.

Just as a side note, the floating of a speaker goes against the norm, sort of the opposite of spikes. And, what's with the need of all that internal bracing if the speaker will just float?

I keep open mind though, at one time I couldn't imagine how an upgraded power cord could make any difference, amongst other ear opening events.
    Sounds like you had something like the ISO-L8R series stands and not the GAIA threaded footer, which is an entirely different product. For me the effect of the GAIAs was very positive on my JBLs.
    Rance

Synology DS411+II, Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, Lumin S1, ARC REF 6 preamp, ARC REFERENCE 75SE amp, JBL 4367/Isoacoustics Gaia I, Luminous Audio Technology cabling and power, Solid Tech racks, Vicoustics room treatments, ASC Iso-wall/Iso-ceiling construction

7. Likes Mr Peabody liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the iso pucks i put under the standmounts clearly improved imaging quite a bit and gave them more `body` and most certainly made a difference . a very flexible option . they hold 9kg each so i guess you might be able put them under a modest floorstander as well . but standmounts or monitor is what they are designed for
    modwright 36.5dm . msb s200 . Marantz sa8005, bel canto 3.5 vbs , bel canto fm1 tuner . proac 125 speakers

Post Thanks / Like

Rantz, you are correct, I had a stand type thing, not threaded feet.

This description is exactly what the stand I had was supposed to do. As I mentioned the theory defies logic to me knowing how a driver in a cabinet works. Allowing the cabinet to float would seem to allow enursha, keeping the driver from stopping and starting accurately smearing sound. The amp is supposed to control the driver, on the stands is like steadying jello.

My speakers are currently using their own spikes and sit on fairly plush carpet over concrete. I wonder if the feet would do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzie View Post
    Actually the GAIAs are designed to move back and forth front to back. Therefore the instructions to always place the logo facing the front. I do not know or understand all the details but I think it has to do with countering the force of the drivers. I got that information from a representative of the distributor.

From the website:
    "GAIA provides a high degree of isolation while resisting lateral movement and oscillations to maintain alignment with the listening position. Internal reflections from the hard-supporting surface are attenuated resulting in greater sound clarity and openness."

Effective or not? Every isolation device I have ever tried had some "magic" formula. Most are sitting in my junk drawer. But some worked very well but not in every application. What I learned is the only way to know for sure is to try.
    Mark Levinson #512 & 532h, Pass Labs XP10, JBL 4367's
    Clearaudio Performance DC w/Maestro, AcousTech PH-1P
    All Clarus Crimson cabling, AC to binding post. Surgex
    HT: Marantz AV8003/BD7003, Linn 5125, JBL SAM3ha, Revel s30, SVS PC13 Ultra
    Transparent & Tributaries. PS Audio filtering

Post Thanks / Like

I think different type of speakers require different kinds of footers. Have not tried the Gaias but tried Stillpoints at some point and felt they muddled up the sound (made it more lush, but less precise).

Back on good ‘ol spikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “Life’s too short to listen to bad audio.”

Big rig: Vpi Prime with Phoenix Engineering Eagle and Roadrunner/ Ortofon Cadenza Bronze MC/ Stillpoints LPI/ Grandinote Celio/ Aurender N100H/ Curious USB/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Meitner MA-1/ Ayre KX-5 Twenty/ Pass Labs X250.8/ WyWires Platinum IC+speaker+power cables/ Magico S3 mk2/ REL S5 SHO/ REL Blue/ Shunyata Triton+AlphaHC+Alpha Analogue+Alpha Digital/ Finite Elemente Pagode/ Stillpoints Ultra SS.

Small rig: Naim UnitiServe/ Curious USB/ Ayre Codex/ Auralic Aries Mini/ Sbooster PSU/ Pass Labs INT-60/ Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II/ HiD Diamond 8/ Harbeth 3PSR2/ Shunyata Venom EU7 & Venom 3 HD.

HP rig: MacBookAir/ Audirvana/ Auralic Gemini 2000/ HD Plex linear PSU/ Charleston Cable Company Cardas Custom/ Sennheiser HD800/ Shunyata HD/ Shunyata Hydra 2/ AudioTekne Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kuoppis View Post
    I think different type of speakers require different kinds of footers. Have not tried the Gaias but tried Stillpoints at some point and felt they muddled up the sound (made it more lush, but less precise).

Back on good ‘ol spikes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I tried Stillpoints under my speakers as well and didn't like the results.
    Rance

Synology DS411+II, Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, Lumin S1, ARC REF 6 preamp, ARC REFERENCE 75SE amp, JBL 4367/Isoacoustics Gaia I, Luminous Audio Technology cabling and power, Solid Tech racks, Vicoustics room treatments, ASC Iso-wall/Iso-ceiling construction

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been thinking about putting some pucks under my center channel for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Processor: Bryston SP3
    Amps: Bryston 28b3s, Bryston 4b3, Bryston 9bsst2
    Digital: Aurender N10, Esoteric Grandioso K1, Cybershaft OP12 Clock
    Speakers: Kef Reference 5, Kef Reference 4c, Kef Ci200RR-THX (surround/back)
    Subs: Two JL Audio F212v2
    Power: PS Audio PS10, Bryston BIT15
    Wires: Wireworld Silver Eclipse XLR & SC - WW Platinum USB
    Other: Stillpoint Ultra SS
    Video: Oppo 203, LG 65inch OLED
    -Kyle

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast