Tannoy reintroduces it's Legacy speaker series - Page 8
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tannoy reintroduces it's Legacy speaker series

funny i am on another thread and the chap who has tannoy speakers is set on low damping amps to make them sound good !!
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs msb s200 . onkyo sacd , bel canto fm1 tuner . tannoy eaton legacy 2]schiit saga pre , firebottle hybrid monoblocks ,bel canto 3.5 vbs , marantz sa8005, reference fidelity impulse Ta`us horns

Post Thanks / Like

Dual-concentric Tannoys work well with a wide range of amplification. I've used various DC models with both tubes and SS, ranging from 20 Watts (restored Heathkits & Eicos) to 275+. I currently run Rogue Apollo Dark KT120 monoblocks at 275 Watts/ch (maybe a bit more), into Canterbury GR. I gave my girlfriend a set of Tannoy Eyris DC3 with NAD C 368 (class D) - what a gem of a little system. It all sounds wonderful; owners can choose amps based on what they wish to prioritize. With high power amps, you can extract the maximum dynamics and impact out of your Tannoys, especially for loud volume listening. With quality SS amplification (even/especially class D), you can hit a good balance of dynamics, good overall sound, and great value for the money. With sweet low-power tube amps, you can get an even more beautiful liquid midrange, and optimize lower volume listening - at the expense of potentially hitting clipping with louder volumes of rock and orchestral music.
    Speakers/Vinyl: CMS Maxxum Rack » Clearaudio Master Innovation / Koetsu Coralstone |Onyx | Jade, Shelter Harmony » VAC Renaissance Phono » ARC Reference 6 » Rogue Apollo "Dark" » Tannoy Canterbury GR

Headphones:
    Headamp Blue Hawaii SE, Stax SR-009 | Stax L700 , Headroom Max Balanced, Focal Utopia, Audio Technica ATH-L3000

3. Likes joeinid, Milk_vanilla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard the Cheviots at Uncle Kevvy's today. They'll rock with substantial headroom on just 35 tube watts. A little bass happy but rasing them 8-12" or so may ameliorate that. Im leaning more towards the stand mount Eaton.
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    funny i am on another thread and the chap who has tannoy speakers is set on low damping amps to make them sound good !!
    The problem is simply that it depends which Tannoys we're talking about. My friend's restored old Tannoy 12ins sound great with a Radford STA 25, and sublime with my Nord Class D amp. But neither of these amps drives my 15ins 5 year old Canterbury SEs well.

6. Thanks joeinid thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some bass traps I used in the front wall...

8. Likes hifinutt, joeinid, mulveling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juancho View Post
    The problem is simply that it depends which Tannoys we're talking about. My friend's restored old Tannoy 12ins sound great with a Radford STA 25, and sublime with my Nord Class D amp. But neither of these amps drives my 15ins 5 year old Canterbury SEs well.
    how is the search for amps going ?
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs msb s200 . onkyo sacd , bel canto fm1 tuner . tannoy eaton legacy 2]schiit saga pre , firebottle hybrid monoblocks ,bel canto 3.5 vbs , marantz sa8005, reference fidelity impulse Ta`us horns

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Phil,
    A Radford STA25 I've just serviced and upgraded sounds great with my Tannoys as does a Radford TT100 I've more or less compeltely restored so there's two that work well. I wrote off the Radford STA 25 before its service and upgrades but now it's really sounding great, so just shows what a difference running correctly and sympathetic upgrades can make!

11. Likes joeinid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

fabulous , so glad to hear that

Post Thanks / Like

An EAR 890 I've got in does a very decent job of driving them too, despite being Class A but it does have 4 KT90s per channel output valves!

14. Likes hifinutt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And a Radford STA15 does a great job too! It all underlines the story that the Tannoy Canterbury SEs need a degree of feedback, probably Class AB, and low output impedance /reasonable damping factor

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8