Tannoy reintroduces it's Legacy speaker series - Page 10
Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tannoy reintroduces it's Legacy speaker series

Quote Originally Posted by audio.bill View Post
    Just as a point of interest, in the Oxford English Dictionary 'tannoy' is defined as follows:

NOUN

• A type of public address system.

Example sentences
      • ‘Even festive songs are being played over the tannoy.’
      • ‘‘This is your captain speaking,’ said a disembodied voice over the tannoy.’
      • ‘The train driver explained the situation over the tannoy, adding that it might be some consolation to us to know that the safety equipment works.’
      • ‘But when we got off the plane at Heathrow on our way home we heard our names being called over the tannoy.’
      • ‘A message comes over the tannoy, ‘There are no southbound services on the tube line at the moment’.’

The Brits also refer to all vacuum cleaners as 'Hoovers' whether they're made by Hoover or not. The origin of the name Tannoy is in fact an anagram formed from two words (tantalum & alloy). And yes, in the early days they were known for PA systems.
    Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alberello View Post
    LOL
    Yes they are door stopper, I don't know if I will remove... At the beginning I was thinking they were a good match with the wood color, but now I am not totally convinced...
    ah thought i recognised them !!
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs msb s200 . onkyo sacd , bel canto fm1 tuner . tannoy eaton legacy 2]schiit saga pre , firebottle hybrid monoblocks ,bel canto 3.5 vbs , marantz sa8005, reference fidelity impulse Ta`us horns

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by puroagave View Post
    The Brits also refer to all vacuum cleaners as 'Hoovers' whether they're made by Hoover or not. The origin of the name Tannoy is in fact an anagram formed from two words (tantalum & alloy). And yes, in the early days they were known for PA systems.
    very true , if you say to the man in the street they will all think a tannoy is a pa system . my old church in London a few yards from the old tannoy base had speakers from tannoy instead of church bells ,
    1]bel canto pre 3 vbs msb s200 . onkyo sacd , bel canto fm1 tuner . tannoy eaton legacy 2]schiit saga pre , firebottle hybrid monoblocks ,bel canto 3.5 vbs , marantz sa8005, reference fidelity impulse Ta`us horns

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10