Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Network Devices for The Computer Audiophile

Like me, most of you are probably using the multi-function device as supplied by the Internet Service Provider (ISP). These devices which combine modem/router/wireless connection all in one handy package may not be the optimum for audiophiles.

I want to find out more about separating these out into individual stand alone components, specifically chosen for optimum performance and enabling better power supplies and shorter runs of cable to be used.

So what experience has anybody got of this? What are your experiences and recommendations?

Or have you simply upgraded your router for a better, faster model like the ASUS R9000 for example? What are your experiences?

I'm also going to bundle in the question of cable quality with this post and power supplies. I have found using MeiCord ethernet cables to be an improvement and shorter runs better. I'm waiting to upgrade to some Vovox Textura ethernet cables shortly. What cables are you using? Does a better ADSL cable also help. What makes of better ADSL cables are available?

What difference has upgrading the power supply to your router or switch made? Anybody with experience of this?

One of the advantages of using a managed switch instead of a router is that the cable runs to the server can be very short and one has the opportunity of using a better ps.

Re: Network Devices for The Computer Audiophile

Join DateMar 2014
    LocationSpain
    Posts119
    Post Thanks / Like

Post copied from fidata audio network component, submitted by Nonesup, with thanks.

Re: fidata audio network component
    The current switch is a generic D-Link, but in a few days I will get an optimized AQVOX switch.

http://www.hifistatement.net/tests/i...ox-aq-switch-8

I can not change telephone cable because my connection is 300 Mb optical fiber.

Indeed the Diamod is superior to Wodka (in fact it is the top of range)

ONT to Router....... Audioquest Cinnamon 0,75 m.

Router to Switch.....Audioquest Cinnamon 1,50 m.

NAS to Switch.......Audioquest Diamond 0,75 m.

Switch to Lumin......Audioquest Diamond 1,50 m.

Amazon 1 / Morch DP6- 12" / Air Tight PC1 / Audio Research PH-7 /Lumin A1 Network Player + Kenneth Lau LPSU /Audio Research Ref 5 SE /Constellation Inspiration 1.0 Stereo / Rockport Atria I / MIT Magnum MA (Speakers) / Neutral Audio (XLR and RCA) / Isotek Nova / Isotek Power Cables /Kenneth Lau LPSU for NAS and Switch / Kenneth Lau LPSU for Active Neutral Audio Cables / Stillpoints Ultra SS and Mini / Entreq Silver product

nonesup

Join DateMar 2014
    LocationSpain
    Posts119
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, both switches are 5v. 1Amp. In fact both are D-Link only that the new one is heavily modified by AQVOX. Curiously in their page they indicate that although the external PSU of the Switch is Switched, it is very modified by them and the sound is better than using a Linear PSU of AQVOX. I'll do the tests when I get there.

Hi Alto,

I have gone through various step to optimise my network sounds. I currently use an Antipodes server connected via a switch to CH C1 streamer/Pre/Dac.

Some steps that I went through (some highlights of my journey over a three-year period)

• I had connected all my items via the router/modem it sounded fine, then I got at $50 consumer Netgear switch and connect my components to the switch instead of the Modem/Router, I got a nice little increase in sound quality – so that was my new default position.

• I read that Ethernet cables made a difference so I replaced the generic Cat6 ($10) cables with not too expensive ($50) Supra Cat7 Ethernet cables. I got a nice little improvement in sound, richer, less dry and less edgy. I had the option to get Audioquest cinnamon but gut feel said I’d prefer the sound of supra. (this was born out much later when I tried someone’s cinnamon Ethernet cable), at half the cost of the Audioquest, I much preferred the Supra Cat7 Ethernet in my system.

• I then read that Liner power supplies make a difference, so (at the time) my Music was stored on a NAS, I ordered a custom made (Kenneth Lau) LPSU supply (with three outputs) to power my NAS, my switch and my Modem/Router, replacing all SMPS. Initially I did not think it made a difference (most likely due to newness of the LPS supply), but since I had bought it I carried on using the LPS. Much later (i.e. nearly 1 year), I decided to put the original SMPS back in place of the LPS and wow, the sound degraded quite considerably – so quickly in went the LPS again.

• I heard the CISCO switches sound the best, so I ordered an 8 port unmanaged switch ($70), it replaced the Netgear, and sure enough the sound gained more weight and was not as thin sounding as the Netgear switch.

• I then read that Paul Pang takes a standard switch adds a re-clocking crystal and an audio grade capacitor. So I bought this “Audiophile Switch” and sure enough it bettered the CISCO switch, sounded less flat and less grey – so I was well pleased with this “Audiophile” switch.

• Finally – I took a big leap of faith and read that Vertere were about to release an Ethernet Cable (it’s very expensive) so I ordered one, luckily my dealer had just received one sample – apparently the first to be released from the production run, I tried it and was blow away with its performance, it was nearly a component level upgrade in sound. I used from the switch to the CH C1 streamer/Pre/Dac. Apparently, I was the first customer of this cable anywhere in the world at the time. I was so impressed that I ordered another one to connect my NAS to the switch. But the most important one was the last step, from the switch to the C1 streamer/Pre/Dac.

If your switch is not too power hungry this switch mode power supply is quite good only ($50) ifi iPower (I use it on my 5V switch as i don't have a 5V tap on my LPSU). But if you're going to get the AQVOX switch – then probably not worth it.

Hi Jambo

Thanks for the really interesting post. I liked the way there was a learning curve and each time a SQ improvement.

Can you describe in which way the sound improved please?

Do you have a link to the switch you mentioned and those cables please?

Please trust me on this, try a Bybee Signal Enhancer under the switch and another at the end of the Ethernet cable run to the streamer.

Yes, it’s been a learning curve for sure.

I’m in the process of moving home, so will be a quite while (temp accommodation for 3 months) before my system is back up – will investigate your recommendation about the Bybee signal enhancer then.

Regarding the Audiophile switch, basically it sounds very smooth and grain free (not soft), with standard switches that I have used they sound edgy, flat and grey. There is better timing, darker space between notes, sounds more natural. Once you have used a better switch you can’t go back. Not too expensive, if I remember correctly around $200.
    Scroll down the page: http://ppaproduct.blogspot.com.au/20...-switcher.html

The Vertere Audio grade Ethernet cables are local to you, i.e. they are made in the U.K.
    https://vertereacoustics.com/ethernet-cat-cable/

Here is a place in the U.K that sells them – they are not cheap, so don’t be shocked at the price. But since the company is local to you, I’m sure you can get a demo cable from a dealer to try in your own system to see what you think.
    https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/ver...net-cable.html

When I put them in, the system was released from it’s strangle hold, suddenly everything just flowed through from the speakers, it felt at the time that my amps had doubled in power, more bass, better resolution, more musicality, smoother more analogue sounding. (takes a few days of use to bed-in)

Hi Jambo, thanks for the info on Vertere. They are not very well known here. I have now spoken to the owner/designer of Vertere but he was playing things close to his chest on how they are made. I am hoping that he may let me try them out in my system. £1350 retail for 1m compared with my Vovox Textura £347 for same length. AQ Diamond 0.75 are £599, these are the cables that nonesup is using.

We need a Ethernet cable shoot out.

l am getting ready for a PS shoot out at the moment, I have a Sbooster and another UK made PS. Just waiting for some others to arrive. Sbooster is very good used with Lumin L1 and D1. I will check if they do a 5v for use with switches. Some switches are 12v. AQVOX is 5v and nonesup is going to try his Ken Lau PS with it.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    UK made PS
    Is it MCRU LPS by LDA Nick Gorham or something else?

Yes

Update on Ethernet cables. I now have Vovox Textura 1m between fidata and Lumin S1 and it has really made a big difference. This is a really good cable. The sound is now more open, smoother and better detail everywhere. Bass is extended and more detailed. Overall big improvement. I now need to upgrade the longer lengths of Ethernet cables in my system and I am expecting to hear further improvements, maybe even more?

Anybody know of a good ADSL cable?

Instead of long lengths of Ethernet cable, have you tried using a pair of fiber converter (with LPS)?
    http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...l=1#post191674

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Instead of long lengths of Ethernet cable, have you tried using a pair of fiber converter (with LPS)?
    http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...l=1#post191674
    Thanks for the link I will look into that.

I have, however, now been able to shorten the ethernet cable by moving things around. I am now using Lumin S1 standard cable 1.5m long instead of 5m of Mecord between hub and fidata. Big improvement.

Copied from fidata thread. AQVOX switch review by none sup:

Well I have already had time to evaluate the Aqvox Switch.

First of all I did a close listening with my generic D-Link, connected to my PSU Kenneth Lau.

Then I installed the new Aqvox switch, connected to the same PSU Kenneth Lau.
    Right away, there is a noticeable decrease in "digital stress".
    The masses of violins in an orchestra in the sharpest registers, which are almost always problematic because of their tendency to sound a little unpleasant, are softened without losing any definition.
    The bass is a little more pronounced and controlled. It increases the "wingspan" of the orchestra and its weight. Well for 400 € a fantastic update.

Now I removed my PSU and put the original switched, which brings the Aqvox and insist that it is the one that is put with the switch. It's this better ......... I'm afraid not. It is much worse than the PSU Kenneth Lau, certainly not. In fact the difference is not from night to day, and considering that it is a PSU that is worth twice as much as the whole Aqvox, and the difference in size and components, is a great source.
    Attached Thumbnails

Amazon 1 / Morch DP6- 12" / Air Tight PC1 / Audio Research PH-7 /Lumin A1 Network Player + Kenneth Lau LPSU /Audio Research Ref 5 SE /Constellation Inspiration 1.0 Stereo / Rockport Atria I / MIT Magnum MA (Speakers) / Neutral Audio (XLR and RCA) / Isotek Nova / Isotek Power Cables /Kenneth Lau LPSU for NAS and Switch / Kenneth Lau LPSU for Active Neutral Audio Cables / Stillpoints Ultra SS and Mini / Entreq Silver product
    UK audio dealer for: Mola Mola, Cube Audio, Boenicke, Lumin, Fidata, Sablon, SteinMusic, Ingress www.toetapaudio.com

Originally Posted by nonesup
    Hi.
    Yesterday after uploading the post of the Aqvox, I kept listening to music and I realized something that I had not taken into account and that today I could verify.

The Music is more dynamic with LPSU ........... yes
    The bass is better with LPSU .............................. yes
    There is more micro information with LPSU ............. yes
    The music is more "natural" with LPSU ............. No.

Now I would like the best of both Power Supplies and can not be, you have to choose.
    Probably on non-aggressive recordings I would opt for LPSU otherwise I would not.

Interesting, thanks for posting your findings.

I will test some new PS when the AQVOX switch arrives and post findings. Nonesup, are you using a separate modem,isolator and router?
    UK audio dealer for: Mola Mola, Cube Audio, Boenicke, Lumin, Fidata, Sablon, SteinMusic, Ingress www.toetapaudio.com

AQVOX review.

We are using the standard ps which comes with the switch at this time. I concur with nonesup's findings. Less noise more music. More natural timbre and greater openness.

To use you simply plug a LAN cable into your hub and plug the other end into the switch. And then another LAN cable goes to your equipment, which is fidata in my case.

Aqvox only sell direct at the moment but if there is anybody in the U.K. interested in a demo of the differences between using the AQVOX switch and the IP hub as a switch let me know by PM.

If you are aiming for the highest possible digital audio sound source then you have to have one of these switches.

Next possible upgrade is to use separate router and modem.

You have to go through a powered USB hub to get iPads to talk to an audio device these days. I don't have time to look up the spec, but Apple changed the requirements (or should I say realized that they were not querying the USB device per spec standards in the first iPad iOS) about 5 months after iPad gen one came out.

Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum, thank you for joining.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Hi Jambo, thanks for the info on Vertere. They are not very well known here. I have now spoken to the owner/designer of Vertere but he was playing things close to his chest on how they are made. I am hoping that he may let me try them out in my system. £1350 retail for 1m compared with my Vovox Textura £347 for same length. AQ Diamond 0.75 are £599, these are the cables that nonesup is using.

We need a Ethernet cable shoot out.
    Hi Alto, did you have an opportunity for the cable shoot out between Vovox and Vertere already ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Hi Alto, did you have an opportunity for the cable shoot out between Vovox and Vertere already ?
    Hi AlterEgo, sorry about delay in getting back to you but missed your post somehow. The only Ethernet cables I have had the opportunity of testing so far are by Vovox and AQVOX. Both miles better than the standard cables.

Thank´s Alto for feed back.

Updates. AQVOX still doing its job but now powered by King Rex ps for the moment. I'm trying the Uptone LPS1 next week, around £400. King Rex makes the sound more dynamic, more energy and bit more clearer. £250 in the UK. Paul Haynes would be worth a try as well.

I use a Bybee Signal Enhancer pad under the AQVOX. £120 in the UK. This lowers the noise floor even further.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Network Devices for The Computer Audiophile