Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

AcousticArt Panel in the studio

I have been thinking of covering my studio widescreen television with an acoustical panel for quite some time. I located a company in Tampa, Florida (AcoustiMac.com) that manufactures acoustic panels and acoustic art panels. They accommodate custom sizes with no problem so I ordered a 29" x 49" by 2" thick closed back acoustic panel with Owens Corning 703 fiberglass and special cover art from their catalog. The panel arrived today and only took me fifteen minutes to attach my special fabricated hangers and then hang the panel over the television. I also replaced the ivory colored acoustic panel above the television with a burgundy one to match the burgundy bass traps. The new AcousticArt panel and new burgundy panel ties the entire end of the room together and looks very nice. I am pleased with the results.

BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER

Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Audioshark

Re: AcousticArt Panel in the studio

Nice!
    My Systems: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread...481#post158481

"We can hear everything we measure, but we can't measure everything we hear. Let your ears be your guide."

Dealer for: Aqua Hi-Fi, Aurender, AudioQuest Cables & Power Products, Berkeley Audio, Block Audio (distributor), Boulder Amplifiers, Bowers & Wilkins (B&W), Bryston, Clarisys Audio Loudspeakers (distributor), Classe’ Audio, Degritter Record Cleaning Machines, Esoteric, Finite Elemente, FirstWatt, Focal Loudspeakers and Headphones, GigaFoil, Harbeth Loudspeakers, Hegel, HiFi Man, Innuos, ISO Acoustics, Keces Power Supplies, Kharma Loudspeakers and Electronics, Kuzma Turntables, Lumin, Luxman, Magico Loudspeakers, MBL Speakers & Electronics, MSB Technologies, MySonicLabs Phono Cartridges, Nordost Cables, Ortofon, Pass Labs, Quadraspire, Rega Turntables and Electronics, Shunyata Research, STAX, Stein Music Products, Stillpoints, Soulution, VAC, Vicoustics, Viva Audio, VPI Industries, WireWorld Cables.

https://suncoastaudio.com/
    Phone: 941-932-0282
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Suncoast-Au...1105178279194/

That looks great. Good call. Nice difference in apparent depth and quality of image I'd wager....
    Roon NUC, Lumin X1 & L1, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-R Twenty, Sonus Faber Olympica III, RAAL SR1a & HSA-1b
    Audience Au24-SX interconnects & Zenwave SSR-11 speaker cables, Sablon Gran Corona & Zenwave PSR-11 power cords. Shunyata Everest 8000.
    Adona Zero GXT, SRA, Symposium, & Stillpoints isolation
    , RPG, ASC, & Real Traps room treatment

Bob

Super Moderator

Looks really nice Dan. Great call.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Looks fabulous! If possible, can you post a pic showing your custom hangers?
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo 205 > Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > Martin Logan Expression 13A's and two ML BF210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's & speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Quote Originally Posted by soundqcar View Post
    That looks great. Good call. Nice difference in apparent depth and quality of image I'd wager....
    soundqcar.......Your wager is correct. The sound stage developed more depth and there was an improvement in the focus and overall clarity of the sound. I had been experimenting with a heavy blanket over the TV, then a spare 24" x 48" acoustic panel I hung in front of the television. I knew from those experiments there was going to be some acoustic improvements with the new AcousticArt panel in place. I am very pleased with the visial and audible improvements.
    Dan

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital coax,
    Sonos Connect, Stillpoints Ultra SS & Ultra Mini, PurePower 2000, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario

LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth, Sonos Connect, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable,
    Sony DAT 60ES, Nakamichi BX-300, Micro Seiki DD40 w/m505A tonearm, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Stillpoints Ultra Mini, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113

VINTAGE - McIntosh 4300V, McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, JBL 4312A

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf View Post
    Looks fabulous! If possible, can you post a pic showing your custom hangers?
    sleepysurf.......The two hangers I fabricated are shown below. They are made from high tensile strength steel fish tape that electricians use to pull wire through conduit. It is very difficult to bend and once shaped remains that way. The bottom of the hanger is bent to hook into the holes I drilled in the back of the panel. The top of the hanger is formed to the shape of the top of the widescreen television. Both hangers are identical. I used shrink wrap tubing over the part of the hanger that contacts the television frame to keep the steel from scratching the TV frame. Once the hanger was hooked into the hole and aligned upright I shot a staple around the hanger to hold it in place. That way I can easily lift the panel on and off of the television without having to try and hold the hangers in place. It works like a charm.

Dan

Nice! Simple solution!

I plan on upgrading to a 70" flat screen HDTV this year, and plan on doing the same thing!
    Squeezebox Touch/Bel Canto DAC 3.5VB + Oppo 205 > Conrad Johnson CT5 preamp and Premier 350 amp > Martin Logan Expression 13A's and two ML BF210 subs. Audience Au24e I/C's & speaker cable. Member of the Suncoast Audiophile Society.

Looks great Dan!
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 air bearing table, SME 312s arm, SME 3012R arn, Dynavector XV-1s cartridge, Lyra Etna SL cartridge, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 2 track R2R, Ampex 350 tape repros, Roon Nucleus Plus music server, HiFi Rose 150B DAC, ARC Ref 6, ARC Ref 75 with KT-150s, Parasound JC5 amp , JBL 4345 speakers, Viero Equilibro Level 3 speaker cables, and Definitive Technology Ref subs.

Reviewer for Positive Feedback

Dumb question- how do you reach your TT?
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Nice! I really like your image choice.

But I have a question... you already have some diffusion behind the speakers, and most treatment I have seen would put a big diffusor where your screen is. Did you experiment with other possibilities before choosing strict absorption?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    Nice! I really like your image choice.

But I have a question... you already have some diffusion behind the speakers, and most treatment I have seen would put a big diffusor where your screen is. Did you experiment with other possibilities before choosing strict absorption?
    Bob.......Where the two Vicoustic Wavewood diffusion panels are on each side of the widescreen there used to be 2' x 2' x 2" thick absorption panels. I also had 2' x 4' x 2" thick absorption panels across the back wall behind my listening position. Overall the room was too dead. I replaced the panels behind my listening position with Vicoustic Wavewood diffusion panels and replaced the two absorption panels at the front of the room above each rack. That livened up the room considerable. Then I began experimenting with covering the widescreen with a blanket and found the overall sound stage focus improved so I moved forward with the absorption panel. I could have probably figured out a way to apply diffusion to the widescreen television but felt the sound stage benefited with the addition of absorption. Perhaps in the future I may give some thought to how I might apply diffusion to the widescreen television and give it a try. It would still have to be portable so that I can use the widescreen for movies. You know how this hobby is, it never ends no matter what you do. The good thing with my present application, it is not permanent.

Here is a look at the before and after of the rear wall with the absorption panels up, then the Vicoustic Wavewood diffusion panels installed.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Dumb question- how do you reach your TT?
    KeithR.......The turntable is not so high that I have any difficulty using it.
    Dan

Given the listening position is so close to the rear wall, I can see how diffusion would have a very positive effect in your space, which looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobvin View Post
    Given the listening position is so close to the rear wall, I can see how diffusion would have a very positive effect in your space, which looks great!
    Bob.......The listening position is not shown well in those photos. The couch is about 18" off the rear wall. Coupled with the thickness of the couch frame and cushions the back of my head ends up being 3' from the rear wall when I am seated. It works very well with the Vicoustic Wavewood panels in place.
    Dan

I am planning on purchasing 3 of their 2X3X2 in art panels. I am holding off as I asked for a discount and was promptly told no but maybe in July.
    Since moving the computer gear out of the room I basically have one side wall full of Ikea Kallax filled with records, but the parallel side wall is now "bare".
    McInotsh MC75 (2) amps
    Audiophonics LPA-S400ET Class D amp
    Marchand XB44 crossover
    McIntosh C2500 pre
    Luxman 505Ux integrated to drive "B" Speakers
    EAT C Sharp with Ortofon Cadenza Blue
    TEAC SD1000/Yamaha SACD Blu Ray player
    Sonus Faber Olympica I
    dual Rythmik sealed subs
    AKG and Sennheiser phones, Feliks headphone amp
    Vintage Pioneer table and Kenwood 3 head tape deck
    Nitty Gritty RCM, and DeGritter
    McIntosh, AQ, Nordost, and Cullen Cables
    Mytek Brooklyn DAC+/Sonare Ultra Rendu, SGC I transporter 5
    Tidal and Roon

petek.......The AcousticArt panels at http://AcoustiMac.com are not inexpensive but they often have closeout specials on ready-made panels. Go to their website and click on Specials in the banner at the top of the page. They have quite a few attractive panels there that have decent discounts applied.

I am still very pleased with the AcousticArt panel I have over the widescreen television in the studio. That scene of the path through the autumn colored trees still captures my imagination.
    Dan

Yes, thanks---the 3 panels I have picked out cost total 610.00. I was hoping I could snag 10 or 15% off... not tht that is a deal breaker though. I will likely hold out until July and see if they offer a code. I do want to be able to select the artwork from their gallery---so...for now...no discount. Glad to know the product works for you and I've seen other favourable reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
    petek.......The AcousticArt panels at http://AcoustiMac.com are not inexpensive but they often have closeout specials on ready-made panels. Go to their website and click on Specials in the banner at the top of the page. They have quite a few attractive panels there that have decent discounts applied.

I am still very pleased with the AcousticArt panel I have over the widescreen television in the studio. That scene of the path through the autumn colored trees still captures my imagination.
    McInotsh MC75 (2) amps
    Marchand XB44 crossover
    McIntosh C2500 pre
    Sonus Faber Olympica I
    dual Rythmik sealed subs
    Tidal and Roon

Working with a room acoustic person at GIK. Will likely go with 3 scatter plated 24X36 3.625" art panels, 4 narrow monster bass traps (244s) scatter plated for the rear, and 4 16" wide and 7 inch thick monster bass panels for the front corners with range limiters.
    McInotsh MC75 (2) amps
    Marchand XB44 crossover
    McIntosh C2500 pre
    Sonus Faber Olympica I
    dual Rythmik sealed subs
    Tidal and Roon

Got my GIK stuff up today---room is sounding fab!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    McInotsh MC75 (2) amps
    Marchand XB44 crossover
    McIntosh C2500 pre
    Sonus Faber Olympica I
    dual Rythmik sealed subs
    Tidal and Roon

Nice. I found GIK Tri-traps (corner bass traps) worked quite well in the corners and it helped they were self standing (no holes to drill in walls) and stackable. Custom heights can also be ordered so you can fill floor to ceiling.

The AcousticArt panel and GIK Artpanels both look the part though its best not to overdo absorption in a listening space.
    Borresen Acoustics Loudspeakers, Borresen Model 01 Compact monitor loudspeakers with Ansuz Darkz T2s Supreme resonance control, Audio Video Manufaktur GmbH (AVM) Inspiration amplifier & streamer, Innuos Zen MKII music server, Ansuz Acoustics cables & accessories. Please visit my system thread hosted on Audioshark for more details. Disclosure: The author is materially connected to Ansuz, Aavik & Borresen Acoustics via friendship with an owner.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

AcousticArt Panel in the studio