Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.

Thread: Grammy's

Grammy's

I watched the Grammy Awards last night and I was very disappointed. I like to think that I have an eclectic taste in music. But last night there was very little music that I did not think was awful. Granted, I am not a fan of Hip Hop or Rap, but I can appreciate it when it sounds good. Even David Bowie's Blackstar album is hard to listen too.

I guess I am getting old and turning into my parents.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Re: Grammy's

In general, today's music sucks. And sadly, the whole of Blackstar is very hard to even listen to without considering death as the option.

I make it a habit to never watch any award shows where you just have people patting themselves on the back. I would rather spend those hours listening to something good.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Even Adele, whom I feel has a fantastic voice did not sound great and her last album was not very good. She needs to hook up with a better producer and recording studio and make a high quality recording. I have heard her in a recorded live concert where it is just her and a piano or guitar and she sounds amazing. She has a all time great voice.

I also don't get all the hubbub with Beyonce. She has a very good voice but her new Album Lemonaide is a Lemon. It is hard to listen too.
    My Gear- Mains System-Pass X250 amp, BAT VK-51se preamp, Luxman DA-06 DAC, Magnepan 1.6's, Thorens TD-145 TT, Dual Martin Logan Subs, Vintage Luxman T-110 Tuner, Cables-WW Platinum 7 USB, Cardas Parsec XLR, AQ Columbia DBS 72v XLR, Belden 8402 XLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowfax View Post
    In general, today's music sucks.
    As compared with what? sorry, but I don't feel this is true at all.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

the Grammy's are a performance show, not an award one these days. Only 9 awards went out last night and the big three are in the final half hour.

but skimming the (huge) winner's list has always been a decent source of classical and other genres I don't follow closely.
    Brinkmann Bardo w/ EMT HSD-006 cart, MSB Reference DAC --> Linear Tube Audio MicroZOTL --> Ampzilla 2000, 2nd Edition --> Fyne Audio F1-12

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    As compared with what?
    60s and 70s music where people could sing without octave modulators or lip syncing. Singers could write their own songs. Musicians were more talented, in my opinion. Women did not have to perform in underwear just so people would watch them and buy the music, because they really can't sing or have anything good to sing about.

This is pure garbage-
    [Verse: Beyoncé]
    When he fuck me good, I take his ass to Red Lobster, cause I slay
    When he fuck me good, I take his ass to Red Lobster, we gon slay

If he hit it right, I might take him on a flight on my chopper, I slay
    Drop him off at the mall, let him buy some J's, let him shop up, 'cause I slay

Just my honest opinions, surely not fact for others.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -
    Rotel RCD-1572 / Rega P3 > Luxman 505UX Mark II > Fyne Audio F502SPs > Synergistic Cables

Secondary - OPPO 93 > VAC CLA 1 MKII Pre > Odyssey Stratos > Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs Cables

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    the Grammy's are a performance show, not an award one these days. Only 9 awards went out last night and the big three are in the final half hour.

but skimming the (huge) winner's list has always been a decent source of classical and other genres I don't follow closely.
    Actually, there were 84 Grammy Awards given out. We did not see all of them. Here is a list of the winners-

https://www.grammy.com/nominees

But I do agree with you that the Grammy's is more of a show just as the Oscar's are.

I do agree with Shadowfax that most of today's (not all) music sucks, especially RR and pop. Even my son who is 25 and a budding audio enthusiast for lack of a better term, thinks that today's music is not very good and pales in comparison to music from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Music today has turned into a visual experience with the music taking a back seat many times.

By the way, didn't Adele just look beautiful.

60s and 70s music where people could sing without octave modulators or lip syncing. Singers could write their own songs. Musicians were more talented, in my opinion. Women did not have to perform in underwear just so people would watch them and buy the music, because they really can't sing or have anything good to sing about.
    ok - so basically you think current music is all auto-tuned crap. Typical of an older audiophile who likes what he grew up with.

Sturgill Simpson was also nominated for Album of the Year. Bon Iver, Frank Ocean, Daft Punk, Jason Isbell and others have won awards in recent years. To say its all teeny pop or R&B which you don't prefer is naive.

Sturgill performed last night with the Dap Kings even -

http://pitchfork.com/news/71423-gram...ll-around-you/

Meanwhile, many of us younger audiophiles think "classic rock" is overrated. The 70s was mostly full of crap imo and you seriously don't want my opinion on prog rock Yes, the Beatles, Stones, Zepp, and Floyd were great bands - but there are going to be equals in modern day rock when the dust settles with Radiohead, U2, Nirvana, Arcade Fire, Wilco, Tame Impala, etc.

OK, so I clicked your link and found a guy strumming 3 chords and talk singing. I get nothing much out of singer-songwriters unless they can actually play something like Michael Hedges.

And it's fair enough that the younger crowd likes newer music. I honestly have never liked any of the list of bands you say have topped all the greats. Maybe they learned from them.

I prefer Jazz Fusion anyway which doesn't seem to make it into a Grammy show. I like virtuoso musicianship. Anyone can play 3 chords and scream, or in Adele's case "Yodel".

Who today has a voice as good and passionate as Greg Lake did? Certainly not Bono.

It's all good tho, I only have my opinions and won't ever tell others not to listen to what they like.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

My point about the post was that IMHO that there really was not much music that was appealing. There is some good music being made today but very little of it was presented in the Grammy's.

Overall, there was more good music in the 70's. There are a lot of albums today that have 1 or 2 good or decent songs and thats it. Of course there were 1 hit wonders back in the 70's as well. But I bet that you can't name many albums that have all great songs on it like Fleetwood Mac's Rumor's or James Taylor's Sweet Baby James. Of course it is a matter of personal taste and opinion though.

Banned

The best thing at the Grammy's:

Attached Images Attached Images

In general, today's music sucks. And sadly, the whole of Blackstar is very hard to even listen to without considering death as the option.

I make it a habit to never watch any award shows where you just have people patting themselves on the back. I would rather spend those hours listening to something good.
    Todays music doesn't suck any more than most of the crap I grew up listening to. You can find good music in every decade from the 50's onward. The pop crap from every era never ages well but then that isn't what most of us listen to. Everyone has genre that they seldom or never listen to. For me Jazz sucks just as much as Hip Hop. To each his own. I usually skip the Grammy's and only caught about 20 minutes last night.
    Jim

D'Agostino Momentum M-400's MxV’s & HD Pre-amp
    Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2 speakers
    Digital: dCS Vivaldi APEX DAC, Clock & Upsampler
    Analog: SME 20/3 with Esoteric E-03 Phono
    Transparent Opus Speaker Cable & Interconnects & Opus Power Cords
    Power Cords on Digital: Shunyata
    Power Conditioner - Shunyata Everest

Different strokes for different folks, I watched the entire Grammys and I REALLY enjoyed it. There is not one group or song that I heard that I will seek and play, but I enjoyed the entire show and the performances. I liked Beyoncé, Lady GaGa, Adele, Katy Perry and a lot of the rapper stuff. I would never play any of their music but I enjoyed watching the entire extravaganza. I thought it was fun.

Edit - I just sat down and put the Grammys' back on to just listen to the music performances without any of the presentations or speeches. I loved watching Adele, and then the Weekend and Daft Punk were fun to watch. Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood sounded amazing to me, more about the performance than the sound, but I really enjoyed it.

Ed Sheeran's performance was incredible. Live in front of millions he first recorded his background vocals then with foot pedals basically he records and mixes 6+ tracks in real time, without missing a note. He had a band playing with him, while he was wailing away on his guitar and singing as well and played key board when recording the original tracks.....try to do that in front of millions Anyway, I think the performances were fun to watch.

New country singer Kelsea Ballerina Lukas Graham from Denmark were amazing to me. They merged two songs and "7 years old" being one of them, which I love and for me a pure magical performance.

Bruno Mars.....incredible performance. With his two back up singers it brings back the Temptations and the Four Tops.

When Mars did the Prince tribute and played crazy lead guitar, along with Morris Day and the Time.....It was a WOW.

Sturgill Simpson had a 40 piece orchestra with 20 horns playing behind him that were over the top good.

I also enjoy seeing guys like Neil Diamond, Barry Gibb, John Travolta.....just seeing how they age and what they are like now.....I enjoy it.

I am watching it on a 200" projection system with 26 separate drivers and and 26 Dacs and 26 amplifiers driving the Surround System.....it's pretty much like being there. I personally know that if I was watching on a regular 50" tv, I probably would not even have watched it. Whatever

I was amazed with 3.5 hours of live tv with MASSIVE sets and multi media production orchestration happening on live tv with millions of eyeballs and other than a few glitches, I was amazed at the production sets and the amount of them.

I also do about 80% of my listening to new music. Favorite listening is Angus and Julia Stone, any of their 4 albums. Also Agnes Obel, London Grammar, Ben Howard and a few more.

Super Moderator

I like these artists

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post
    . Edit .....

I also do about 80% of my listening to new music. Favorite listening is Angus and Julia Stone, any of their 4 albums. Also Agnes Obel, London Grammar, Ben Howard and a few more.
    Fleetwood Deville by Oswald Mills Audio, Vienna Acoustics Haydn Jubilee, Wharfedale Linton w/ stands, Klipsch RB-75, Klipsch RP-160M.

Job INTegrated. Luxman L-595aSE

NAD C 658 streamer.

First Watt SIT-3, Job 250 Monos, NuForce STA200, AkitikA GT-102 amp, ASL Wave monos, Dennis Had 45 monos. Absolute Audio Labs PCF 25 amp (improved First Watt F7 super clone)

Topping D90, RME Audio ADI-2 DAC FS, ModWright Ultimate Sony XA-5400ES.

Burmester 948, McIntosh MCLK12, Kimber Kable, Siltech, Cardas, Avanti Audio cables.

Let's not forget other categories.

Listening right now to the 2017 Grammy award winning album 'Penderecki conducts Penderecki vol.1' ... with Penderecki's autograph no less !

Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: Dagostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Horizon + Lampi DSD Komputer

It's interesting that if you look at the comments regarding the Grammys on the first page vs. what I thought about them and this is with all of us watching the exact same thing. Look at the different perspective of something that was exactly the same thing.

Now imagine all of the audiophiles on forums with completely different systems, rooms, tweeks, ears, minds etc. listening to a format or album and then comparing it as if we are all comparing the same thing.

With all of the individual sets of variables that we all encounter, we are definitely hearing different things. That's why when someone raves or trashes about something and another person has the completely opposite view it seems how could that be? It's because we all have a different set of variables especially personal preference, which dictates our final conclusion regarding a specific topic. Fun.

I cannot stand any of that shit they play. Most music that comes out these days (new artist's), to me is pretty bad.
    Amp/PreAmp/Phono: Manley Labs Snapper, Jumbo Shrimp, Chinook Speakers: Joseph Audio RM25XL Analog: Rega P5, TTPSU, Tungsten CW, GT Ref Sub-Platter/Delrin Platter, DV Karat 17D3 Digital: Rega Saturn Cables/PC: Synergistic Research, Running Springs Audio Rack: Quadraspire Q4EVO, Mapleshade Platforms/Isoblocks Tubes: Winged C SED EL34, Mullard 12AX7/12AT7, Amperex 7308 LPs: 198 CDs: 247

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch View Post
    I cannot stand any of that shit they play. Most music that comes out these days (new artist's), to me is pretty bad.

Bah, humbug!

back to Shadowfax- let's remember the allegedly superior 1970s, where nothing but original songs with real voices came out:

I can go on-

Supertramp
    Styx
    Kansas
    Starland Vocal Band (won Best New Artist - LOL)
    Foghat
    The Carpenters
    America
    Air Supply
    REO Speedwagon
    Donnie & Marie
    The Partridge Family
    Gino Vanelli
    Jethro Tull
    Kiss

As Jim said, there is a ton of bad music in every decade. It isn't just today.

LOL, Captain & Tenille is fake music, if music at all. But point taken. Lets just say then that the ratio of good to bad has increased over the years.
    -----------------
    Brian

Main System -

LOL, Captain & Tenille is fake music, if music at all. But point taken. Lets just say then that the ratio of good to bad has increased over the years.

C&T "Love Will Keep Us Together" won Record of the Year in 1975!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhapsody View Post

Thanks for the tip about the music. London Grammar is awesome, just downloaded her album from HDTracks! I have to give the others a listen. I am using a newer version of Bug Head music player version 8.04 and female vocals are fabulous. Very textured and detailed. Female vocals are just sensuous.

AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

Grammy's