Welcome to the AudioShark Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

fidata audio network component

http://www.iodata.jp/fidata/en/

Absolutely stunning performance. Can be used connected to a player through ethernet cables or to a dac through USB.

So far I have used it connected to the Lumin S1 and the SST pre/dac. Both ways it is really good. Looking forward to trying it with the Mola Mola pre/dac soon.

Far superior to other brands at this price point and above imo.

Anybody in the UK that would like to have a listen, drop me a PM.

Re: fidata audio network component

I know only 1TB at this time. That's the only compromise but it is worth it imo.

Characteristics and price very similar to Melcon N1ZS
    It would be fantastic a comparison between both.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by nonesup View Post
    Characteristics and price very similar to Melcon N1ZS
    It would be fantastic a comparison between both.
    This is second hand info, but somebody l know and trust his opinions says there is no contest between those two, the fidata being far superior.

A distributor of ours also carry fidata, so we did compatibility tests with fidata before - but I was not involved so I don't know the details. I'm pleased to find that a Lumin product is featured in their website photos along their own product.

Note that you'll find more information (a new model) from the Japanese language page than from other languages:
    https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

(Tip: For any kind of Japanese web site, always check the Japanese language version even if English is available - especially for Japanese hotels.)
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter, l can confirm that l have had no issues with compatibility fidata/Lumin S1.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    This is second hand info, but somebody l know and trust his opinions says there is no contest between those two, the fidata being far superior.
    Who knows? I would like to try it but in Spain there is no importer. What I know for sure, is that I had a weekend with an importer N1ZS, and I thought it was a "fantastic" device. So much so that I have ordered a new N1ZH MK2, which I hope will be available in March.
    Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Taiko Extreme Server / Gryphon Essence Preamplifier and Stereo Amplifier / Rockport Atria I / REL S-812 (2) / Göbel XLR (2), Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / MIT Magnum MA Speakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (4) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Taiko Switch / Paul Hynes SR7T Double Rail / Farad Super3 / Doepke DFS-2 40A / GigaWatt G-C16A 2P / Fuse module AHP 4Gi / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

Who knows? I would like to try it but in Spain there is no importer. What I know for sure, is that I had a weekend with an importer N1ZS, and I thought it was a "fantastic" device. So much so that I have ordered a new N1ZH MK2, which I hope will be available in March.
    PM me if you want to find out more.

Fidata getting even better now with some more playtime on it. Nothing comes close.

Shortening the ethernet cables has helped. Using MeiCord ethernet cables at the moment which have received some good reviews. Waiting for my Vovox Textura ethernet cables to show, which should be even better I hope?

What are you guys using?

NAS to Switch............ Audioquest Diamond

Switch to Lumin..........Audioquest Diamond

Router to Switch.........Audioquest Cinnamon
    Francisco

Hi nonesup, what make of switch please? Managed? DV voltage?

Please also see my new thread in Computer Audio Forum about network devices. Perhaps you might want to comment there?

Diamond is higher than Vodka? How much of a difference did changing the cables make to better SQ? What were the differences? What about telephone cable to router ADSL? Have you looked into getting a better cable?

Tip: Put a Bybee Signal Enhancer under the router and switch. PM if you can't get them in Spain.

Also nonesup, would you please let us know your cable lengths.

cheers

The current switch is a generic D-Link, but in a few days I will get an optimized AQVOX switch.

http://www.hifistatement.net/tests/i...ox-aq-switch-8

I can not change telephone cable because my connection is 300 Mb optical fiber.

Indeed the Diamod is superior to Wodka (in fact it is the top of range)

ONT to Router....... Audioquest Cinnamon 0,75 m.

Router to Switch.....Audioquest Cinnamon 1,50 m.

NAS to Switch.......Audioquest Diamond 0,75 m.

Switch to Lumin......Audioquest Diamond 1,50 m.
    Francisco

Thanks nonesup. Can you still use Kenneth Lau LPSU with the new switch? The AQVOX looks very similar to one from Netgear.

Yes, both switches are 5v. 1Amp. In fact both are D-Link only that the new one is heavily modified by AQVOX. Curiously in their page they indicate that although the external PSU of the Switch is Switched, it is very modified by them and the sound is better than using a Linear PSU of AQVOX. I'll do the tests when I get there.
    Francisco

See ink below

Includes a reclocker according to this? Expensive for a small switch but if it is good for audio then it is worth it.

I would be surprised if KL LPS is not better.

http://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=11455

would be good to write up your comments here

Thanks for the info about the fidata, looks interesting.

Nonesup, l copied your posts to the other thread on Network Devices because of its relevance. Hope you don't mind?

Ok.
    Francisco

Nonesup, did you get your AQVOX?

No, the Correos website tells me that on the 17th, he left Germany. It might be that he comes on a camel, as in the ancient silk route.
    Francisco

Let us know how it performs.

This is the translated version of the AQVOX review

Hi nonesup, can you update us on the AQVOX please

The last update of the tracking, tells me that Madid has arrived, I hope that in two or three days I will arrive at my house.
    I was right, he came on a camel.
    Francisco

That certainly is slow.

Had a look at the new Melco at a show today and spoke to one of the Melco people from Japan. They are the same company that made a turntable years ago which I used to distribute.

The fidata is a similar size but nicer finish and according to people l know and respect with Soulution systems it is better sounding than anything else including servers that cost more.

The model you've seen on the show is already the new MKII?
    In my view the problem of Fidata, is that not having a wide network of distributors, does not have a test system at home, such as do Lampizator or Total Dac.
    I know what the improvements are in the new MKII, and I am hopeful that they will improve the sound even more.
    However in something we totally agree, Fidata is much more beautiful than Melco.
    Francisco

Fidata is exactly the same tablet size as the Lumin, absolutely perfect fit connected together, Lumin on top.

Fly to U.K. for demo?

AQVOX tell me their Ethernet cable is as good as AQ Diamonds at the fraction of the price? I'll get some to try and let you know.

Melco was Mk2

Is this the MKII presentation meeting you were in?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Francisco

That's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    A distributor of ours also carry fidata, so we did compatibility tests with fidata before - but I was not involved so I don't know the details. I'm pleased to find that a Lumin product is featured in their website photos along their own product.

Note that you'll find more information (a new model) from the Japanese language page than from other languages:
    https://translate.google.com/transla...-text=&act=url

(Tip: For any kind of Japanese web site, always check the Japanese language version even if English is available - especially for Japanese hotels.)
    Hi Peter.
    In my view there is a problem with Fidata and Lumin. Simon has written that it is "unlikely" that he will support Fidata. That leaves us with the obligation to use Twonky ..........

http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=3818
    Francisco

Big improvements with the Vovox Textura Ethernet cables over the others I have to hand. Improvements are smoother more open treble, increased detail, tighter more extended cleaner bass. This is for a 1m length between fidata and Lumin S1. I now need to upgrade my cable between hub and fidata and later between AQVOX switch and hub and the fidata. I'll test out some AQVOX cables as well to compare.

Where is that switch, nonesup?

Hi Peter.
    In my view there is a problem with Fidata and Lumin. Simon has written that it is "unlikely" that he will support Fidata. That leaves us with the obligation to use Twonky ..........

http://forum.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=3818
    fidata lists Lumin as compatible, and even has Lumin in their own website photo, so I think there shouldn't be major issues. Actually Lumin merely requires a UPnP server, not necessarily MinimServer - it's just that MinimServer happens to be the best and free UPnP server available.

If there were a noticeable issue between fidata Twonky and Lumin, I think our Japanese distributor would have notified fidata and Lumin to fix any such issues.
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Well I do not say that Twonky does not work with Lumin, but when they left me to test the MELCO that Twonky had, it worked with Lumin, but no comparison with minimserver.
    Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Big improvements with the Vovox Textura Ethernet cables over the others I have to hand. Improvements are smoother more open treble, increased detail, tighter more extended cleaner bass. This is for a 1m length between fidata and Lumin S1. I now need to upgrade my cable between hub and fidata and later between AQVOX switch and hub and the fidata. I'll test out some AQVOX cables as well to compare.

Where is that switch, nonesup?
    Francisco

12 days and you are still waiting, that's bad. I don't want that carrier for my switch.

Well I do not say that Twonky does not work with Lumin, but when they left me to test the MELCO that Twonky had, it worked with Lumin, but no comparison with minimserver.
    Any notable benefits of MinimServer over Twonky, or any aspects about Twonky that you don't like?
    Peter Lie
    LUMIN Firmware Lead

Lacked many covers, I could not find albums by composer, artist ..... the only way to navigate correctly was by folder. It may be that I have 90% of my music in wav and not in flac, and Twonky has problem with metadata in wav.
    Francisco

Nonesup, any update on the switch please.

Absolutely no news.I have an anger...............
    Francisco

I would let AQVOX know, it might be lost?

Email from AQVOX says they have never lost a parcel in 12 years, so they expect yours to turn up soon.

If you look at the screenshot I sent, the package is in Madrid from the 25th. If the package came from an extra community country, I could understand it by customs procedures, but my God's sake comes from Germany !!!
    Francisco

Praise the Lord.
    Correos has delivered the parcel to me, after 15 days
    I'll try it this afternoon
    Francisco

Interesting, both AQVOX and Paul Pang chose D-Link DGS-108 switch to make their audiophile modifications. I wonder whether this is a coincidence or not.

From Paul Pang PPA web site showing his TCXO and capacitor mod:

(In case any body is interested - I read conflicting reports about this PPA stuff - one Lumin user found that it helps a lot, a few people think it made no difference at all.)

Thanks Peter for info.

nonesup, how you getting on with the switch?

Not yesterday, not this morning I could hear music, but ........ this afternoon I have it all for me. I will write my impressions
    Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by wklie View Post
    Interesting, both AQVOX and Paul Pang chose D-Link DGS-108 switch to make their audiophile modifications. I wonder whether this is a coincidence or not.

From Paul Pang PPA web site showing his TCXO and capacitor mod:

(In case any body is interested - I read conflicting reports about this PPA stuff - one Lumin user found that it helps a lot, a few people think it made no difference at all.)
    With regard to Paul Pang Switch I found something unpleasant. 6 months ago I read about this switch and I looked for an importer for Spain. There was not, but I found a dealer in Italy. I sent an email to indicate that I wanted to buy a unit and they replied that they did not send outside the European Community. My reply mail, I do not reproduce it in case "there are children present".
    Then I entered the page of Paul Pang and from it sends three (3) mail requesting information on how to buy. He did not answer any.
    I can not understand it, if I treated my clients this way, in 6 months I could not buy myself, not a Lumin, but a cassette radio.
    Francisco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
AudioShark - The Best High End Audio Discussion forum.

AudioShark forum is a leading forum site for High End Audio Discussion, Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater System Discussion, Best Home Stereo System Discussion, Home Theater Installation Discussion etc.

The AudioShark forum was created for sharing the passion of high-end Audio. We have Audiophiles from all over the world participating and sharing their knowledge. From novice to experts, you will find a friendly environment for discussing about High End Audio, Stereo System, Home Theater System, Home Stereo System, Home Theater Installation, Amplifiers, Speakers, Subwoofers, Integrated System, Acoustic treatments & Digital Room Corrections and many more.

At AudioShark, we also have incorporated an exciting Marketplace where members can peruse terrific buys on used gear, as well as meet dealers and discuss the purchase of new gear.

We are as crazy about this hobby as you are! So come on in and join us! Audioshark.org the Friendliest Audio Forum!

Industry Participation Disclosure : The owner and administrator of Audioshark is the owner of Suncoast Audio LLC in Sarasota Florida. Suncoast Audio has a full brick and mortar presence in Sarasota with several great show rooms with many world class brands. More information can be found at http://www.suncoastaudio.com

Audioshark is a community of like minded individuals. Audioshark welcomes participation from all manufacturers and owners of all brands and products. It is our belief that online forums provide a community of like minded audiophiles and music lovers to encourage the growth of this wonderful hobby.

Sincerely,
The Audioshark.org Team

fidata audio network component